• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

ggx2ac

Finished Grand Prix Level 7.

DCkoR99VwAAyYnt.jpg

DCkodulUIAAXV5a.jpg

DCkowI7VoAAwABg.jpg

DCko3DAVoAAcI6T.jpg

DCkpprHUIAAPB-Y.jpg

It's not that hard, I'll even mention what weapons I used for Max Brass and Hedlok.

I used Dragon on left hand and Chakram on right for Max Brass.

Then I used Dragon on both hands for Hedlok.

Basically, the dragon weapons are the best for zoning these guys. I think using the Guardian weapon with dragon would have helped too so that may be a hint when using Helix.

I think Barq makes people a little off-game because they have to worry about a punch knocking them off their game. Sounds about right.

That sounds about right, a stray punch can do me in and that fear gets to me. With anyone else they never touch me since I only have to worry about two arms and I feel more in control

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, become POSITIVE you are holding the joycons correctly before moving on to anything else. For about the first 15 minutes I thought this game had the worst controls ever developed by man because i still had the buttons facing me.

You're working against muscle memory, but it's actually deceptively intuitive once it clicks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Too early. Everything is too early. there's a lot to sift through before a solid competitve meta everyone can agree on emerges here lol.

except that Gore is OP

Unicorn

I can confirm the final statement is true

are you using motion controls? I'm trying to learn Helix (Finally got some other arms!)

Also, my TV set is low, so I have to sit with motion controls and just rest my elbows on my knees, but after a bit I feel fatigue in my back. Been using controller just for comfort, but I feel to get my Helix game stronger I really need to get as much and as many curves going as possible.

are you using motion controls? I'm trying to learn Helix (Finally got some other arms!)

Also, my TV set is low, so I have to sit with motion controls and just rest my elbows on my knees, but after a bit I feel fatigue in my back. Been using controller just for comfort, but I feel to get my Helix game stronger I really need to get as much and as many curves going as possible.

I started using motion controls but I've been using portable mode for the longest time. Would you like some practice matches with me?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I see. I recall it took a few weeks before gyro was widely considered superior in Splatoon.
I haven't played Splatoon so I can't speak by way of experience, but from what I'm hearing it may be even more complex here. Sans button remapping, it seems almost as though the control options were intentionally balanced against one another.

DrDogg

You know, if Helix really is as evasive as Gore makes him seem, that's basically a 10-0 matchup against Master Mummy. Mummy relies on reads and going through your attacks and grabs to get damage. You can't do that against Helix because attacking through his grab/attacks still allows him time to dodge.

If this is truly the case, Helix needs nerfs asap.

the disparity between mobile characters and the few that aren't as mobile is really fucking stupid..

is there no way to curve the arm up or down? can't do shit against hyper mobile people as master mummy when they are able to jump and dash 2-3 times while I am still throwing out 1 punch

As Master Mummy you don't need to be mobile. That's not how he plays. You should basically be standing still and healing up. If the opponent attacks you use a Megaton to stop the attack and punish. If they try to grab you, you punch through the grab. Sometimes you have to read the grab is coming and preemptively punch.

Theoretically a good Master Mummy shouldn't have to move all match.

Okay... now I want to go into Party Match with Mummy... but he fails hard in 1v1v1 or 2v2.

I'm not nearly as evasive with others. Feel free to add me and 1v1 me any time.i fully realize how open I am and that I'm not playing as I should but I do what I do because his evasiveness is able to get me out of most situations. With Helix it doesn't matter whether I attack first or not or with both arms because I am certain I'll mostly get out of it successfully. If I played anyone else I would not nearly be as reckless. I would reckon he's indeed the most evasive. U.S. East coast, yes. The poppers might play a role. Considering his mobility options and the fact that most of the time I'm not directly clashing with arms as helix but rathe rusing my mobility to get a direct line of sight, I figured the fastest arms in the game would go well to just travel the distance as fast as possible.

I just went into Versus to do some testing. I could not duplicate your aerial movement mid-throw. If I did a throw in the air or in tower mode (that's what I'm calling it!) all I could do was a very small hop in either direction about halfway through the throw animation. You were doing a full air dash/jump out of it. How is that possible?

Also, I'm US West, so there may actually be some lag involved. I can't imagine this game has better net code than Tekken 7 and I'm 3 bars (out of 5) with coasters in that game.

Having the chance to open up a fast character like Ninjara with a stun or slow to get a free grab or rush attack is pretty helpful.

And both arms dont have to be elemental, they supplement another arm.

Ice doesn't open up the opponent though. All ice does is slow them down. If they have good defense that doesn't result in anything free.

The way it was pitched seemed like you would spend 30 credits to play the game to get a chance at grabbing a few.. The way it really works is 30 credits gives you enough time to get 2 tops...

I get 4 Arms from 30 on average with my high being 6 Arms I believe.

why does snake park exist

edit - does anyone know what the Y button prompt does in the bottom left of the main menu when searching for a ranked match

It toggles your ranked match search.

Anyone can explain the timing for counter with Y from punches while guard?

As soon as you block an Arm dash forward. Be careful because I've definitely dashed too early and just took the hits to the face.

Pretty sure the crackers are slower than the popper. Might be placebo though

Just tested this. It "seems" as though all Arms have the same recovery time in terms of how soon you can move after throwing the Arm out there. Obviously the heavier the Arm the longer it takes to return and the longer your movement is hampered, but you can initially move at the same point no matter which Arm you're using.

Also, Crackers and Poppers are the same speed.

Nuu

Banned
I haven't played Splatoon so I can't speak by way of experience, but from what I'm hearing it may be even more complex here. Sans button remapping, it seems almost as though the control options were intentionally balanced against one another.
Button remapping makes traditional controls superior?

You know, if Helix really is as evasive as Gore makes him seem, that's basically a 10-0 matchup against Master Mummy. Mummy relies on reads and going through your attacks and grabs to get damage. You can't do that against Helix because attacking through his grab/attacks still allows him time to dodge.

As Master Mummy you don't need to be mobile. That's not how he plays. You should basically be standing still and healing up. If the opponent attacks you use a Megaton to stop the attack and punish. If they try to grab you, you punch through the grab. Sometimes you have to read the grab is coming and preemptively punch.

Okay... now I want to go into Party Match with Mummy... but he fails hard in 1v1v1 or 2v2.

I just went into Versus to do some testing. I could not duplicate your aerial movement mid-throw. If I did a throw in the air or in tower mode (that's what I'm calling it!) all I could do was a very small hop in either direction about halfway through the throw animation. You were doing a full air dash/jump out of it. How is that possible?

Also, I'm US West, so there may actually be some lag involved. I can't imagine this game has better net code than Tekken 7 and I'm 3 bars (out of 5) with coasters in that game.

Ice doesn't open up the opponent though. All ice does is slow them down. If they have good defense that doesn't result in anything free.

As soon as you block an Arm dash forward. Be careful because I've definitely dashed too early and just took the hits to the face.

Just tested this. It "seems" as though all Arms have the same recovery time in terms of how soon you can move after throwing the Arm out there. Obviously the heavier the Arm the longer it takes to return and the longer your movement is hampered, but you can initially move at the same point no matter which Arm you're using.

The maneuver I did is pretty advanced and tough to execute I would say. I have to be in the air moving a direction, punching or throwing and have someone cancel it. You down for more 1v1?

You can host if you'd like

Sorry for double post

DrDogg

They do need to fix throw tracking. If I'm punching with the sole purpose of interrupting the throw, and they throw, it should be an interrupt.

The more I play this game the more I see it just wasn't made for competitive play.

Oooh boy, this game is kicking my ass.

I did really well in the first test punch, but otherwise didn't play the game until release, and it's like everything I learned in the test punch was wrong

DrDogg

The maneuver I did is pretty advanced and tough to execute I would say. I have to be in the air moving a direction, punching or throwing and have someone cancel it. You down for more 1v1?

You can host if you'd like

Sorry for double post

I didn't cancel your throw. I dodged it.

I'm just playing Ranked for a few then I'm off.

Branduil

Someone please tell me how to aim in this game, I'm fighting level 4 Springman as Ribbon Girl and I can't hit shit, my punches always fucking miss.

DrDogg

Someone please tell me how to aim in this game, I'm fighting level 4 Springman as Ribbon Girl and I can't hit shit, my punches always fucking miss.

Usually you don't really need to aim, you just need to fine tune. The Arm will move toward the opponent, but if the opponent is moving you need to adjust for that.

scurker

I don't know if anyone else has discovered this, but if you are having a difficult time in Grand Prix, here's a way to slightly cheese it:

When you save and quit, it'll start you back in the the same numbered round as long as you didn't move on to the next round. Once you've won a round, you can use this trick on the next round until you get a win.

I only did it because I was tired of level 5 Hedlock and didn't want to abandon everything up until then.

Branduil

Usually you don't really need to aim, you just need to fine tune. The Arm will move toward the opponent, but if the opponent is moving you need to adjust for that.

My fucking slapamander never ever gets close to fucking hitting. Even if he's just standing there it goes off to the side like a fucking piece of shit.

jorgejjvr

Completely disagree on mummy.

A good mummy would not sit still

Punching through other arms, and through throws is indeed part of the strategy, but a good mummy would be also mobile, get close, and not let the opponent breathe

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Button remapping makes traditional controls superior?
We can't tell is what I mean- if all the buttons were remappable there might (or still might not) be a clearly and obviously superior scheme found through trial and error, but we can only compare the locked mappings on each scheme instead.

I haven't even tried them myself but I have heard that the Guard function can be a bit uncomfortable with traditional controls.

I want to punch the person who programmed the slapamander. Piece of shit arm that never does what you want.

The slap a mander is aimed before you punch, not after. If using traditional controls, you need to move the left stick forward, left, right, diagonal, or back before you throw in order for it to obey. If using motion, same applies, but using your wrist. A wrist punch upwards is a high punch, diagonal wrist rightward and up will have it move right and curve tightly, wrist horizontal causes a super wide curve.

beta_fuse

Wow fuck Hedlok and locking ranked behind beating him. Really getting tired of losing to him...

Yup this game isn't gonna last me long, already fed up. Gonna take a break and attempt this again tomorrow.

Unicorn

I started using motion controls but I've been using portable mode for the longest time. Would you like some practice matches with me?

I just went on a 5 game losing streak so my salt levels are at dangerous levels.

Sure. Why not. I could use a brain aneurysm.

How do people online start with a special attack?

If you suck and lose a bunch it's a handicap boost. If you do well you start getting into matches where you start with portions of your health gone.

That said, fuck 1v1v1. I try to toggle targets to ensure my opponents all have equal health - especially if one fucker is trying to just hide and hang back.
I just had a match with 2 ribbon girls that just decide to team up against me as Helix. Like, one clearly just let the other hang back and just set themselves up to lose since they both tried to get me and I got one of them to half life. FUCK OFF!

I'm going to have a stroke tonight.

I just went on a 5 game losing streak so my salt levels are at dangerous levels.

Sure. Why not. I could use a brain aneurysm.

If you suck and lose a bunch it's a handicap boost. If you do well you start getting into matches where you start with portions of your health gone.

That said, fuck 1v1v1. I try to toggle targets to ensure my opponents all have equal health - especially if one fucker is trying to just hide and hang back.
I just had a match with 2 ribbon girls that just decide to team up against me as Helix. Like, one clearly just let the other hang back and just set themselves up to lose since they both tried to get me and I got one of them to half life. FUCK OFF!

I'm going to have a stroke tonight.

3970-5123-2042

Add me, inform me when you have done so

Branduil

I will never be able to beat this Spring Man. I'm fucking worthless. I don't know why I bought this game. I don't know why I do anything.

DrDogg

There's absolutely some really dumb lag in this game. Sometimes it's more clear than others but I can't replicate a lot of the dodging I see online when I try to practice it offline.

I'm not sure then. I don't really think about it. When I want to dash in the air it just happens, sometimes infinitely. It's hard to explain.

If your attack is canceled or hits your air abilities are reset. My guess is that there's enough lag that my counter punch read as interrupting your throw, resetting your movements so you could air dodge.

Completely disagree on mummy.

A good mummy would not sit still

Punching through other arms, and through throws is indeed part of the strategy, but a good mummy would be also mobile, get close, and not let the opponent breathe

Well yeah a Mummy isn't going to just stand there. I'm just saying Mummy isn't designed to go toe-to-toe with the more mobile characters.

Yes yes, we've heard you the first hundred times along with multiple mentions that you couldn't possibly continue playing the game.

Then block me dude. I'm discussing the game. Contribute to the conversation or ignore it. Your choice.

depward

Keep the chatter coming.

I didn't love the test punch. And am not usually a fighting game fan.

But something about this intrigues me.

I hope to see the ARMS team update the game. If I see some continued support, added SP content, and some tweaks made to balance I may consider to pick up.

tribal24

Banned
The slap a mander is aimed before you punch, not after. If using traditional controls, you need to move the left stick forward, left, right, diagonal, or back before you throw in order for it to obey. If using motion, same applies, but using your wrist. A wrist punch upwards is a high punch, diagonal wrist rightward and up will have it move right and curve tightly, wrist horizontal causes a super wide curve.

that is exactly why its the perfect arms for me and I'm using traditional controls rocking a slamamander and slapmander!

Top Bottom