• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Ozium

when I played grand prix the first time at level 4 I saw the credits and then an "ending scene" that was a drawing of mummy's family..

I played through GP as Spring Man on level 1 and I didn't see that ending card.. does that only appear at a minimum difficulty level and if so, what is it?

when I played grand prix the first time at level 4 I saw the credits and then an "ending scene" that was a drawing of mummy's family..

I played through GP as Spring Man on level 1 and I didn't see that ending card.. does that only appear at a minimum difficulty level and if so, what is it?

I assume 4

DrDogg

He mostly avoids it all

Him and I played at the same house today this weekend, and I can assure you everything that happened tonyiu also happened to him, evade dashes and evasion and dodging punishes and all

Then it's a Helix issue most likely. I can't replicate it offline, but that may be due to the limitations of the training/VS mode. Hard to say without another decent player to test things out with in an offline environment.

I didn't think they were either, so I'm not getting the sense that the discussion has evolved in regards to the game not being competitive. Is the fundamental issue that the game is too defensive still valid or is it something else now?

The conversation has evolved as a whole, not specifically regarding the competitive nature of the game. The game is still wholly defensive as others have mentioned. However, I've stated multiple times that I'm trying an offensive approach and added some feedback on that as well.

Haines

Banned
I feel completely the opposite to everything you said here.

Belive me im jealous.

Its just like, to tilt the direction and push the button to dodge even is hard for me.

Maybe its just the 20 years of using a stick. Like i said i certainly want to use them someday

Totakeke

The conversation has evolved as a whole, not specifically regarding the competitive nature of the game. The game is still wholly defensive as others have mentioned. However, I've stated multiple times that I'm trying an offensive approach and added some feedback on that as well.

May I remind you that this is the whole post I quoted?

They do need to fix throw tracking. If I'm punching with the sole purpose of interrupting the throw, and they throw, it should be an interrupt.

The more I play this game the more I see it just wasn't made for competitive play.

There doesn't seem to be any ambiguity that it was about the competitive nature of the game. If you're trying to avoid addressing the things I brought up again just let me know and I'll just block you.

LaNaranja

Finally jumped into online. That party mode is a ton of fun and I love the variety. It reminds me of Need For Speed Most Wanted's online mode (the Criterion one). Ranked is also solid and I luckily have yet to run into any lag.

1v1v1 is such an amazing mind fuck because you want to stay back if you see two people fighting each other but at the same time if it is one sided then you would be stupid not to get a cheap shot or two on the person with the most health so that they are easy pickings once someone gets knocked out.

Also as much as I was initially loving Ribbon Girl I have become attached to Mechanica too. Triple missile + hammer is a really good combination. Byte and Barq are also pretty great because you can see it when you use him that the little dog throws people off their game. He also scored the winning hit for me once which is pretty awesome.

ckfy63a

Is there any reward for or record of completing Grand Prix without having to rematch any opponent or going 2-0 in all the fights? Also, do difficulties stack for a character? I.e., if I beat GP with Spring Man on Level 4, does it give me a crown for Levels 1-4? Thanks!

This game feels cheap and I'm only playing on level 3 grand prix. Is it just me or does it seem like the ai recovers quicker then you?

Maybe I shouldn't have jumped right into level 3.

Yeah "true ending" starts at 4.

This game feels cheap and I'm only playing on level 3 grand prix. Is it just me or does it seem like the ai recovers quicker then you?
I don't think so. However lighter arms like the toaster recover quicker than say the megaton.

Tabasco

I definitely need help understanding how the motion controls work.

Is there perhaps a video I can look at that shows some advanced techniques and how to properly input the correct motion control that I want?

I feel like my losses against the CPU are mostly because of not getting my intended punch direction when I throw my arm out. I need better control of that somehow.

Also, how do I use each character's ability? For Twintelle at least, I didn't figure out how to use her slowdown until I found out myself, which is holding down the side dash button.

I definitely need help understanding how the motion controls work.

Is there perhaps a video I can look at that shows some advanced techniques and how to properly input the correct motion control that I want?

I feel like my losses against the CPU are mostly because of not getting my intended punch direction when I throw my arm out. I need better control of that somehow.

Also, how do I use each character's ability? For Twintelle at least, I didn't figure out how to use her slowdown until I found out myself, which is holding down the side dash button.

Helps/tips section.

Idk about the video for motion

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How do you tell if this game is made for competitive play? I'm curious because I don't really get how we compare it to games that are. In that category would be a handful of fighting games, online FPSs, RTSs, and MOBAs along with a few modes in MMOs and some other niche titles cough Rocket League etc. Right?
Probably feels less competitive is design than many traditional fighting games but it really doesn't feel like any other fighting games to me.

I think they actually succeeded in making something mechanically unique, and I feel completely ill-equipped to determine how competitive it can be long term. Probably depends on the live support it gets to some extent, I guess. But I know for a player like me who is probably in the lower half for skill, it feels a lot more competitively designed and deeper than the game I expected it to be.

I also think playing local against another switch owner with motion controls with the switches facing each other on a table or whatever is going to be an incredible way to play. I've never gone out to play fighting game tournaments but it seems like it would be fun as hell for this.

There could be advanced techniques a la smash that no one really grasps yet, it's hard to say. I also know that adjusting Arms between matches could be big but don't really know the best way to go yet.
The slap a mander is aimed before you punch, not after. If using traditional controls, you need to move the left stick forward, left, right, diagonal, or back before you throw in order for it to obey. If using motion, same applies, but using your wrist. A wrist punch upwards is a high punch, diagonal wrist rightward and up will have it move right and curve tightly, wrist horizontal causes a super wide curve.

This is another thing, personally I don't fully understand the pros and cons and way to use each ARMS yet either, I didn't play any of the game "pre-launch" like many of you and it feels like there are a lot.

I read this
Sparky - As a medium weight Electric element Arm, Sparky is arguably the best Arm in the game. Keep it charged and lead off with this attack to shock the opponent and allow for any number of follow-up attacks. It will beat all Light attacks and is fast enough so it doesn't leave you open to a counter attack very long if you happen to miss.

Thunderbird / Phoenix - Another Electric Arm, the Thunderbird isn't as fast as Sparky, but it has much better curve ability and it can catch opponents off guard due to the somewhat delayed attack of the bird connected to the Arm. This also goes for the Phoenix if you already have an Electric Arm and want more damage to go with your curve. Although in that instance the Slapamander is usually a better choice.

Slapamander / Slamamander - One of the most annoying Arms in the game is the Slapamander. It's difficult for opponents to get away because it has a good curve arc and a large hit box (area of attack). You usually want the Slapamander over the Slamanader for the extra damage when charged, but both can be effective.

Megaton / Megawatt - There are going to be times when you're constantly trading with an opponent, both Arms canceling each other out. That's where the Megaton comes into play. As a heavy Arm it grounds lighter Arms as it continues toward your target. While it moves slower than most Arms, if used to counter an opponent's lighter Arm it almost doesn't matter how fast it moves so long as you can react fast enough when you see the opponent punch. A charged Megaton is also one of the most damaging attacks in the game, making it a great follow-up after a shock. If you find that you're leading off with the Megaton, switch to the Megawatt to shock an opponent so you can get a follow-up throw.

Cracker / Popper - The advantage of the Cracker and Popper are speed and a wide hit box (area of attack). As Light Arms they travel fast, but with two attacks it will take a very well-timed Medium or Heavy Arm to stop both hits of the Cracker and Popper. Couple this with the wide hit box and speed, and it's difficult for many opponents to avoid a well-timed attack. We generally favor the Cracker over the Popper because you're already giving up damage for speed if you don't connect with both hits. Cracker at least gives you more damage if you hit a charged attack. You can occasionally follow a charged Popper with a second attack, but the timing can be tricky. If that's the route you want to go, the Parasol is a better bet. It's a bit slower, but the wide hit box is similar to the Popper.

Blorb - While the Blorb is very similar to the Megaton and Megawatt, and works well if your opponent doesn't have a Heavy Arm to counter your attacks, you sacrifice damage in exchange for a bit more mobility (it bounces) and the ability to blind an opponent. While the blind is nice in theory, a blinded opponent can still block, dodge and attack just like normal. This makes the Blorb far less useful against skilled players.

Boomerang / Chakram / Coolerang / Ramram - These high curve Arms work very well to attack around obstacles in the various stages. They work especially well to attack from behind the columns in the Scrapyard and DNA Lab, as well as the cars in the Cinema Deux stage. However you don't gain much benefit beyond the high curving ability, and most skilled players will either block or evade if they think you might attack from behind an obstacle (or while they're hiding behind an obstacle). Even if you land such an attack, it can be difficult to follow it up with additional damage because the obstacle is still in the way.

Bubb / Buff / Chilla / Toaster - All of the common boxing gloves in the game are almost identical to the Sparky. What makes the Sparky so much better is the fact that it shocks an opponent and allows you to follow with an easy throw or some other attack. Buffa has a bit better curving ability, Chilla slows down an opponent's movements, and Toaster inflicts more damage, but none of that outweighs the shock power of Sparky. However, if you're leading off with a different Electric element Arm, Toaster is a good secondary Arm since it's fast and inflicts very good damage.

Dragon / Ice Dragon - The two dragon Arms are very unique. The fire a beam that goes through some Arms, but can be stopped by others. You also get a good attack radius with the beam that covers a decent amount of ground and works very well against opponents that are trying to keep their distance. Where the dragons fail is in close combat. If a skilled opponent closes in on you, the dragon Arms are very difficult to use effectively and usually end up leaving you open to a counter attack more often than not. Ideally you want to use the Dragon as a secondary Arm to follow an Electric shock for good damage.

Guardian - One of the more unique Arms in the game, the Guardian is basically a shield. The initial attack is a shield that stops everything, no matter the weight. You can hit the attack button again and the Guardian will extend farther out at a faster pace in an effort to hit the opponent. Even after the shield portion of the attack, the Guardian is still one of the slowest Arms in the game. This means it should be used primarily as a shield, and if it happens to hit an opponent all the better. This works well against Heavy Arms, but is easily bested by Arms with high curving ability or an opponent who attacks from close range.

Homie / Seekie - These two Arms will move toward an opponent no matter how you curve it. This can come in handy if your aim isn't very good. In addition, a charged Homie or Seekie will hit like normal, then explode after a short delay. This can easily catch an opponent off guard, especially if they're playing a highly mobile character like Twintelle or Ribbon Girl. These characters will assume they've dodge the initial attack, then potentially get hit by the delayed second attack. Even with these benefits, they are relatively slow and difficult to hit skilled players with.

Hydra - If you're playing against an opponent who likes to jump a lot, the Hydra is a great answer. It fires three vertical shots that can be difficult to evade in the air. However, on the ground all three shots are fairly easy to evade. They are light attacks, which means they will get beaten out by most other Arms, but due to the fact that there are three shots in vertical alignment, it's rare for most Arms to hit all three shots. Unfortunately, even if the last shots sneaks in, the damage on a single shot is a bit low (80).

Retorcher / Revolver - These Arms fight three shots in rapid succession. While all three shots are light, they can be difficult to evade when timed correctly. While the Revolver is an Electric Arm, the stun is negated if more than one shot hits. Unfortunately this makes it one of the worst Electric Arms in the game. The Retorcher is the way to go if you like this Arm style.

Parasol - The main advantage of the Parasol is the wide hit box that makes it difficult to dodge and can partially block an opponent's vision as it travels. It's still a Medium Arm, which means any Heavy Arms will knock it to the ground and continue toward you. If you don't need the larger hit box it's usually better to go with a boxing glove or even a Heavy Arm to counter Medium weight Arms. If you like the wide hit box but want a faster Arm, the Popper and Cracker are better.

Triblast / Tribolt - These Arms are similar to the Hydra except that they shoot three shots in horizontal alignment, making them difficult to evade. Triblast is generally the way to go because of the extra damage, but as an Explosive Arm the charged damage is delayed in a second hit that can technically be evaded, but will usually catch an opponent off guard. When used as a secondary attack the delayed follow-up usually misses when using Tribolt, however Triblast becomes a single attack when charged, allowing it to connect better as a follow-up attack.

Whammer - The Whammer has a wide hit box (area of attack), which can make it difficult to evade once it slams to the ground. Unfortunately, it has to travel to the opponent before the slam occurs, and that travel speed is relatively slow. It's a Heavy Arm, which means it goes right through all lighter Arms, and that's how it should mainly be used. However, even in this instance it can be difficult to hit more mobile characters.
And it definitely helped. But just from using the Chakrams for so long I know that the description there isn't really adequate. They are indeed super high curving but they are also the only Very High or even High curve, and one of only 3 weapons in the game with the "Stun" element. I don't know what the Stun element does frankly. The others are one of Spring Man's and the Whammer, which sounds, well, heavy. The curve also isn't just good for going around obstacles when initiating an attack, it's good for retreating enemies because it might follow them behind one.

Also, I played around with it in Training for a long time to be sure: like the slapamander you pick your curve when you throw, not after. You commit to the arc you throw and can't influence it after flying so far as I can. But you can pick completely different arcs, throwing left or right (I guess kind of like frisbee forehand and backhand), way unlike Ninjara's other weapons, which you CAN influence the curve of to a big extent after they are fired. They just don't curve nearly as much no matter what.

The "Guard Breaking" Master Mummy training is the best for just messing around BTW. A traditional regular old playground training mode is sorely needed.

How do you tell if this game is made for competitive play? I'm curious because I don't really get how we compare it to games that are. In that category would be a handful of fighting games, online FPSs, RTSs, and MOBAs along with a few modes in MMOs and some other niche titles cough Rocket League etc. Right?
Probably feels less competitive is design than many traditional fighting games but it really doesn't feel like any other fighting games to me.

I think they actually succeeded in making something mechanically unique, and I feel completely ill-equipped to determine how competitive it can be long term. Probably depends on the live support it gets to some extent, I guess. But I know for a player like me who is probably in the lower half for skill, it feels a lot more competitively designed and deeper than the game I expected it to be.

I also think playing local against another switch owner with motion controls with the switches facing each other on a table or whatever is going to be an incredible way to play. I've never gone out to play fighting game tournaments but it seems like it would be fun as hell for this.

There could be advanced techniques a la smash that no one really grasps yet, it's hard to say. I also know that adjusting Arms between matches could be big but don't really know the best way to go yet.

This is another thing, personally I don't fully understand the pros and cons and way to use each ARMS yet either, I didn't play any of the game "pre-launch" like many of you and it feels like there are a lot.

I read this

And it definitely helped. But just from using the Chakrams for so long I know that the description there isn't really adequate. They are indeed super high curving but they are also the only Very High or even High curve, and one of only 3 weapons in the game with the "Stun" element. I don't know what the Stun element does frankly. The others are one of Spring Man's and the Whammer, which sounds, well, heavy. The curve also isn't just good for going around obstacles when initiating an attack, it's good for retreating enemies because it might follow them behind one.

Also, I played around with it in Training for a long time to be sure: like the slapamander you pick your curve when you throw, not after. You commit to the arc you throw and can't influence it after flying so far as I can. But you can pick completely different arcs, throwing left or right (I guess kind of like frisbee forehand and backhand), way unlike Ninjara's other weapons, which you CAN influence the curve of to a big extent after they are fired. They just don't curve nearly as much no matter what.

The "Guard Breaking" Master Mummy training is the best for just messing around BTW. A traditional regular old playground training mode is sorely needed.

Vs, infinite time health and rush, stationary AI, that's better

Stun is just a one second or so hitstun

Got my first rage quit! Feels good, haha.

By the way, where's everyone sitting on their rank level? Feeling pretty good at Rank 6, but I'm sure some of you here are far past that.

BossRush

Man. I just don't get this game, it doesn't feel like I'm learning from what my opponent is doing and adapting more just a game of "who missteps first"

Hey CoreMagala, what are your arms choices for helix?

Well, my most common and hated set is double poppers. However I also had the chillas and sparky to mix and match for fun, normally I used a chilla and sparky in each hand. Though now I replaced the Sparky with the hydra for experimentation and double Hydra is pretty dang fun as well

Speely

Banned
ARMSGAF: what kinds of arms do you find best vs Hedlok in GP?

I am liking poppers, myself. Actually, they are becoming my favorite arms overall.

Moondrop

Banned
Unlocked popper, slapamander, and megawatt on Helix, plus goodies like chilla and megaton for Spring Man and get to test giant guardian on Min Min. Should be enough to take Helix to the next level.

Luigi87

It seems like in 1v1v1 or 1v1v1v1 the winner should be whoever dealt the most damage, not who survives.

Issue with that is some characters do more damage than others due to stats.

What I like about the current 1v1v1(v1) model is that it creates its own meta-game within. Much like the Prisoner's Dilemma, especially in 3-person, you are ultimately left deciding who to Ally with and whom to Betray. You never want one other person to gain too much of a lead, but you also never want to focus just one person down. If someone is clearly of a high skill level, then ideally they'll be ganged up upon, but that in itself can create other problems.

I certainly always force any potential "non-combatants" into the fray.

... Also I'm proud that I actually got a Perfect in a 1v1v1 during Testpunch, and I was actively fighting the whole time.

Top Bottom