• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

There's absolutely some really dumb lag in this game. Sometimes it's more clear than others but I can't replicate a lot of the dodging I see online when I try to practice it offline.

If your attack is canceled or hits your air abilities are reset. My guess is that there's enough lag that my counter punch read as interrupting your throw, resetting your movements so you could air dodge.

Well yeah a Mummy isn't going to just stand there. I'm just saying Mummy isn't designed to go toe-to-toe with the more mobile characters.

Then block me dude. I'm discussing the game. Contribute to the conversation or ignore it. Your choice.

Keep in mind the only cases I can recall of me doing infinite air dashes was to dodge your super, and I'm pretty sure that the way your punches are thrown since it's a super (which would be rather wide) would easily block my punches or throws from the side, allowing me to keep going.

Speely

Banned
Finished Grand Prix Level 7.

It's not that hard, I'll even mention what weapons I used for Max Brass and Hedlok.

I used Dragon on left hand and Chakram on right for Max Brass.

Then I used Dragon on both hands for Hedlok.

Basically, the dragon weapons are the best for zoning these guys. I think using the Guardian weapon with dragon would have helped too so that may be a hint when using Helix.

Dude... I can't even. Nice work.

Canon

Banned
Has anyone else noticed the visuals are better in the final game versus Test Punch? It looks like it's running at a higher resolution or something; it just looks cleaner.

Am I crazy or has this been confirmed?

Branduil

[Spring man tries to punch me. I jump and counter-punch. Both punches land 5 feet away even though he's just standing there]
[Spring man tries to punch me. I dodge and activate my super. He instantly recovers to block, even though he had a punch out]

I don't understand

The slap a mander is aimed before you punch, not after. If using traditional controls, you need to move the left stick forward, left, right, diagonal, or back before you throw in order for it to obey. If using motion, same applies, but using your wrist. A wrist punch upwards is a high punch, diagonal wrist rightward and up will have it move right and curve tightly, wrist horizontal causes a super wide curve.

The problem isn't the beginning of the punch, no matter how I start it it always ends 5 feet away from Spring man.

[Spring man tries to punch me. I jump and counter-punch. Both punches land 5 feet away even though he's just standing there]
[Spring man tries to punch me. I dodge and activate my super. He instantly recovers to block, even though he had a punch out]

I don't understand

The problem isn't the beginning of the punch, no matter how I start it it always ends 5 feet away from Spring man.

Generally people use it from afar

phanphare

Banned
dclczbxvoaa27xb8au6j.jpg

dclcct6uaaavrv-g5u99.jpg

Totakeke

Then block me dude. I'm discussing the game. Contribute to the conversation or ignore it. Your choice.

You've repeated the same exact statements multiple times and fundamentally it's the same basic argument. You think game is too defensive and therefore not competitive, got it. You've had the game for longer than most and you have a substantial amount of fighting game experience, got it. You think the developers probably suck at their own game and therefore their comments aren't really valid. Got it. There's really no arguments to be made because it's mostly one sided and why do you care so much about making a point that the game isn't competitive? You've said your piece and I don't believe people who wants a competition from the game will stop trying to have one just because DrDogg said for the nth time the game isn't competitive.

No they just woke up like that one day.
Excuse me for asking a silly question about people with springs for arms. They could be robots, they could be a race of people with springy arms, they could have all chosen to get cybernetic arms put on for the sport.

No need to be a dick about it. I haven't yet been able to find the story behind the game, if there is one.

Excuse me for asking a silly question about people with springs for arms. They could be robots, they could be a race of people with springy arms, they could have all chosen to get cybernetic arms put on for the sport.

No need to be a dick about it. I haven't yet been able to find the story behind the game, if there is one.
That's the actual explanation, they're not being snarky.

He wasn't being a dick. In the ARMS Direct Biff, the announcer, literally said they all just woke up one day with it.

Correction, at least Spring Man did

DrDogg

Keep in mind the only cases I can recall of me doing infinite air dashes was to dodge your super, and I'm pretty sure that the way your punches are thrown since it's a super (which would be rather wide) would easily block my punches or throws from the side, allowing me to keep going.

That happened twice, but there were plenty of times when you did it after I just dodged and counter punched with no Rush attack used.

You've repeated the same exact statements multiple times and fundamentally it's the same basic argument. You think game is too defensive and therefore not competitive, got it. You've had the game for longer than most and you have a substantial amount of fighting game experience, got it. You think the developers probably suck at their own game and therefore their comments aren't really valid. Got it. There's really no arguments to be made because it's mostly one sided and why do you care so much about making a point that the game isn't competitive? You've said your piece and I don't believe people who wants a competition from the game will stop trying to have one just because DrDogg said for the nth time the game isn't competitive.

Actually I haven't. My opinion has fluctuated quite a bit over the time I've been playing the game. The conversation has evolved as well. You're welcome to join the evolving conversation with us though.

Blunoise

Man I'm still trying to find out my arm set for twintelle, I need to unlock all the arms, but I do know that I will be keeping parasol

Totakeke

Actually I haven't. My opinion has fluctuated quite a bit over the time I've been playing the game. The conversation has evolved as well. You're welcome to join the evolving conversation with us though.

What's new? You have balance concerns with Helix. Okay. Since when has imbalance stopped a game from being competitive because it can be fixed. You think the throw interrupt sucks because the tracking is finicky. Acknowledged. You think online lag is shitty, but since when competitiveness of a fighting game is determined by lag free online matches? I don't see any of those being relevant to the game being not competitive.

Do you think the game is no longer too defensive? I don't think I've read that from you.

jorgejjvr

There's absolutely some really dumb lag in this game. Sometimes it's more clear than others but I can't replicate a lot of the dodging I see online when I try to practice it offline.

If your attack is canceled or hits your air abilities are reset. My guess is that there's enough lag that my counter punch read as interrupting your throw, resetting your movements so you could air dodge.

Well yeah a Mummy isn't going to just stand there. I'm just saying Mummy isn't designed to go toe-to-toe with the more mobile characters.

Please notice that gore is my brother, and we also play locally

He plays 100% the same offline as he does online. And this is from someone that has played with him both ways

DrDogg

What's new? You have balance concerns with Helix. Okay. Since when has imbalance stopped a game from being competitive because it can be fixed. You think the throw interrupt sucks because the tracking is finicky. Acknowledged. You think online lag is shitty, but since when competitiveness of a fighting game is determined by lag free online matches? I don't see any of those being relevant to the game being not competitive.

Do you think the game is no longer too defensive? I don't think I've read that from you.

Not everything I say is in regards to the gaming being competitive or not. When discussing Helix being OP or lag being the issue, it had nothing to do with the game being competitive.

When I discussed the lag I'm finding playing this weekend, it has nothing to do with the game being competitive as a whole. That's me personally not having the ability to play because if I play a fighting game it's to be serious and increase my skill. I can't do that if online isn't decent because I have no locals to play.

Please notice that gore is my brother, and we also play locally

He plays 100% the same offline as he does online. And this is from someone that has played with him both ways

I wouldn't expect him to play differently. I don't think he's trying to abuse lag tactics or anything. Also, I assume you live relatively close? That would reduce the lag. The question is, can you punish this stuff or does he evade 90% of your attacks?

😁

In the fiction of Arms, can people elect to have extendable arms? Can they have surgery to do that? Or is just certain people have these arms?

Ishikawa: Some parts of this are still secret. I can’t really tell you everything, but what I can say is it’s not something that they can elect for – not something that you would get surgery for, to replace your arms. It’s possible that some characters have had this since birth and it’s also possible that, for some characters it just suddenly...one day, they woke and were different. So, there are actually, really several different possibilities that could be the cause for this. So, aside from Helix, all the other characters like Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, and Min Min – these are just regular people with extendable arms and not cyborgs or anything like that.

Some did, literally woke up with spring arms. It wasnt a snarky comment.

jorgejjvr

Not everything I say is in regards to the gaming being competitive or not. When discussing Helix being OP or lag being the issue, it had nothing to do with the game being competitive.

When I discussed the lag I'm finding playing this weekend, it has nothing to do with the game being competitive as a whole. That's me personally not having the ability to play because if I play a fighting game it's to be serious and increase my skill. I can't do that if online isn't decent because I have no locals to play.

I wouldn't expect him to play differently. I don't think he's trying to abuse lag tactics or anything. Also, I assume you live relatively close? That would reduce the lag. The question is, can you punish this stuff or does he evade 90% of your attacks?
He mostly avoids it all

Totakeke

I didn't think they were either, so I'm not getting the sense that the discussion has evolved in regards to the game not being competitive. Is the fundamental issue that the game is too defensive still valid or is it something else now?

I want to punch the person who programmed the slapamander. Piece of shit arm that never does what you want.

I throw it in a wide arc to catch side dashing opponents or even stationary ones who don't expect an attack from the side.

I'm not being a dick. Go watch the ARMS Direct.

Him and I played at the same house today this weekend, and I can assure you everything that happened tonyiu also happened to him, evade dashes and evasion and dodging punishes and all

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how this game will fare as a competitive fighter either.

It honestly seems like it's best to bait a punch and just punish your opponent during recovery, but there's no quick jabs to pressure your opponents, or ways to force your opponent into throwing a punch without leaving yourself open. Everything essentially has a long recovery. It's kinda weird?

Waaay too early to say, mind, and I'm probably just not seeing the nuance the game has. (or will have) And then it comes down to whether or not the game needs to be a competitive fighter, to begin with. It's fun in its own right.

Haines

Banned
Me and the wife gave the motion controls another shot tonight.

Oof. It tells like ni ntendo did a good job but they are just naturally not intuitive.

I will stick to gamepad until I have the game mastered than give them a try again.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how this game will fare as a competitive fighter either.

It honestly seems like it's best to bait a punch and just punish your opponent during recovery, but there's no quick jabs to pressure your opponents, or ways to force your opponent into throwing a punch without leaving yourself open. Everything essentially has a long recovery. It's kinda weird?

Waaay too early to say, mind, and I'm probably just not seeing the nuance the game has. (or will have)

You clearly haven't faced my Helix. Whole different ballpark, trust me

Takat

Just finished lv4, got the credits which felt like a great accomplishment.

Also things I've noticed: Ribbon's Girl stage is surrounded by stick lights like in a real show. Also, you can hit the gong in Min Min's stage and it makes a sounds and moves - I played the whole testpunch and it never happened.

Then you know helix doesn't care if he attacks first or second
That's the thing, it's playing a different game when a character can evade mid-recovery.

We played about 3 times I think? And I got close to the 3rd one because I just ended up predicting where you'd go than actually punishing, which is what I've been relying against every other character lol. But that's just an exercise in frustration, honestly. But I'm bad, sooo.

Top Bottom