• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Army of Darkness fans rejoice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
deadite-book-suck.jpg

I always thought he looked like Gabriel Byrne in a few shots in that sequence.

Jesus Christ, how many releases with AoD and ED2 get? I swear both of them had about 15 each from Anchor Bay.

I'm actually proud of myself for waiting until this Blu-ray. I think I bought something like 4 different versions of AoD on DVD between box sets and limited editions and the like. The same for ED2 and ED1.

The noteworthy and saddening thing about this release is that it seems at least some versions of this film are now considered lost and cannot be recovered. Otherwise they could have done new transfers of the US theatrical version and the Director's Cut.

Minus_Me

Campbell's performance in this is spell binding to me. Perfect comedic timing firing on all fronts.

Slightly edges out Evil Dead 2 for me, and he's incredible in that.

Gonna have to buy this asap.

Damn, Shout! Factory definitely threw in everything and the kitchen sink into this one. It makes me a lot more hopeful that The Return of the Living Dead will get a similar treatment next year, especially with the various soundtracks it has had over the years.

There's a pretty awesome Region B blu ray I was looking at for ROTLD. It's supposed to feature the original audio along with the More Brains documentary included. The only thing that held me back is that my new blu ray player isn't region free. Now I'm going to hold off and see what Shout! brings us. Here's a link in case you've never seen it. Cool cover as well. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-x/dp/B00GGNQTGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441942502&sr=8-1&keywords=return+of+the+living+dead

Finally, we got the three definitive releases as far as blurays go(so far).

Your Evil Dead 2 pic isn't showing for me, is it the 25th anniversary edition? Hope so, I just picked that up last week for $4.00.

What the hell is shout?

A company that specializes in movie/music releases. They have a branch called Scream Factory who normally releases cult horror films. Their collectors editions are pretty cool.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/

I mean, look at that cover art!

I can't wait for this. What a release. Too bad they're not remastering the theatrical version though, the current transfer has had too much digital tinkering done to it, mainly some nasty edge enhancement.

There's a pretty awesome Region B blu ray I was looking at for ROTLD. It's supposed to feature the original audio along with the More Brains documentary included. The only thing that held me back is that my new blu ray player isn't region free. Now I'm going to hold off and see what Shout! brings us. Here's a link in case you've never seen it. Cool cover as well. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Return-Living-Dead-Blu-ray-x/dp/B00GGNQTGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441942502&sr=8-1&keywords=return+of+the+living+dead

Is Shout doing a RotLD Blu-ray too, or are you just being hopeful? Considering the old disc is getting re-leased for the 3rd time (new cover) I wouldn't hold my breath :(

Ooo. Bringing the good news, thanks for the link. I'm totally down for a Scream Factory RotLD.

Might grab Troll/Troll 2 if they have some new material with Claudio Fragasso. I wonder if he still thinks people who don't like T2 are "dogs".

I'v never seen Troll 2, but I have seen "Best Worst Movie". That was something else. Almost as depressing as it is hilarious. With Scream Factory the new release might be worth it. I've got a huge haul of Scream Factory blu's getting delivered any day now, My first ones aside from the ones from the Halloween Collection.

I'v never seen Troll 2, but I have seen "Best Worst Movie". That was something else. Almost as depressing as it is hilarious. With Scream Factory the new release might be worth it. I've got a huge haul of Scream Factory blu's getting delivered any day now, My first ones aside from the ones from the Halloween Collection.

Best Worst Movie is great. I hope they can include that on the BD release. Troll 1 is lots of fun too.

The commentary is really kind of odd. You can tell Sam had some real regrets about certain decisions and the time they had. He almost sounded disappointed in the movie but still with lots of interesting things to say.

This will have 4 versions of the movie? Whoa.

And the International version will have been from the 4k remaster?

I guess it's time to upgrade.

You have served me well all these years "Boomstick Edition":

51VF3SDSW8L.jpg

This had both the theatrical and director's cut. Though I'm a bit more of a fan of the theatrical, it's faster paced, and Ash get's to be a complete badass one more time at the end before the credits.

Imo, the US theatrical cut is superior overall, but the international cut has a few better jokes and quips. If you could combine the two, you'd have the best.

Rydeen

The commentary is really kind of odd. You can tell Sam had some real regrets about certain decisions and the time they had. He almost sounded disappointed in the movie but still with lots of interesting things to say.
The Evil Dead 2 commentary is more fun. Sam, Bruce, Scott Spiegel and Greg Nicotero all are having a blast and clearly are having a lot of fun watching the movie again.It's one of the best commentaries I've ever watched.

The Evil Dead 2 commentary is more fun. Sam, Bruce, Scott Spiegel and Greg Nicotero all are having a blast and clearly are having a lot of fun watching the movie again.It's one of the best commentaries I've ever watched.

ED2 is probably the funnest/funniest commentary of any movie I've ever listened to. The only thing that comes even close is the commentary for Ghostbusters.

Your Evil Dead 2 pic isn't showing for me, is it the 25th anniversary edition? Hope so, I just picked that up last week for $4.00.

Yup. I have excluded other regions because most if not all are region locked so there may be a definitive bluray version to end all other versions in another region but for NA? The 25th anniversary edition(With the skull pic) is the one to pick.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I give it a rewatch some months ago and nostalgia is truly a mean bitch.

Awful.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

I give it a rewatch some months ago and nostalgia is truly a mean bitch.

Awful.

I have a hard time picking my favorite because every one of them at one point could be my favorite. I find it very interesting how a movie about a bunch of teenagers in a cabin finding an evil book ends up having a third movie set in medieval times lol, that's very unique and quite ballsy. Evil Dead 2 found the perfect balance of horror and comedy where as the third one was straight on comedy and I think when viewed as such, it's a better movie for it. The first one is straight nightmare shit though.

Yup. I have excluded other regions because most if not all are region locked so there may be a definitive bluray version to end all other versions in another region but for NA? The 25th anniversary edition(With the skull pic) is the one to pick.

I spent a few hours going through all the extra's on the blu ray last week. I wish I could time travel and be a horror effects guy, looks like the funnest job ever from watching the KNB group work on the movie.

I spent a few hours going through all the extra's on the blu ray last week. I wish I could time travel and be a horror effects guy, looks like the funnest job ever from watching the KNB group work on the movie.

Be sure to check out the commentary as well whenever you can, very enjoyable and informative.

Quikies83

Got mine in the mail today.. can't wait to pop this in tonight.
I'm debating where to frame and put the poster... maybe the bathroom.

styl3s

Got mine in the mail today.. can't wait to pop this in tonight.
I'm debating where to frame and put the poster... maybe the bathroom.
Shit, i forgot Shout/Scream Factory ships pre-orders 2 weeks in advance.

How rad is the pre-order poster? I really want to get They Live but i am afraid it's so far into the release cycle that it wont ship with a slipcover.

Quikies83

Shit, i forgot Shout Factory ships pre-orders 2 weeks in advance.

How rad is the pre-order poster? I really want to get They Live but i am afraid it's so far into the release cycle that it wont ship with a slipcover.

The poster is just the slipcover minus the "collector's edition text". It's sexy.

product_images_modal_AODBRCover72dpi__7Baecf944d-87fc-4448-a299-e3ae794aefa0_7D.jpg

ED2 is probably the funnest/funniest commentary of any movie I've ever listened to. The only thing that comes even close is the commentary for Ghostbusters.

Best two commentaries I've ever heard are

1.) Arnold Schwarzenegger doing the commentary for Conan the Barbarian while CLEARLY drunk

and

2.) Carrot top doing the commentary for "The rules of attraction." He'd never seen the film when recording it, and had nothing to do with the actual movie- he's not part of the cast. Hilarious

Quikies83

Best two commentaries I've ever heard are

1.) Arnold Schwarzenegger doing the commentary for Conan the Barbarian while CLEARLY drunk

and

2.) Carrot top doing the commentary for "The rules of attraction." He'd never seen the film when recording it, and had nothing to do with the actual movie- he's not part of the cast. Hilarious

Wow.. Thought me and my buddy were the only ones that listened to and loved the hell out of that. So random you'd name drop that one. I don't even like Carrot Top. Good times. Lol just so random they added that... And I love Bret Easton Ellis.

jond76

Banned

A company that specializes in movie/music releases. They have a branch called Scream Factory who normally releases cult horror films. Their collectors editions are pretty cool.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/

I mean, look at that cover art!

I have that release of ROTLD, it's really nice. And it turns out that it's perfectly playable on the US region. You'll get an error, then just press the top menu button and you go to the main menu. Original audio too, thank god.

The doc is region b pal tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom