• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

I just finished the 3rd episode and I was in tears near the end when
the guy tells Lindsay about the lady he scared taking a shit
. I just couldn't stop fucking laughing, I don't know why.

So far I like it but the focus on 1 character per episode kind of brings it down for me. I find characters like George Sr. or Lindsay to be much better suited in short bursts. But I'll probably have tons of fun watching the full episodes of Gob and Tobias.

Also it feels like a lot of the jokes/scenes so far have gone way over my head or I have to wait until the rest of the episodes for things to start clicking. Either that or it's just not quite as good/interesting as the original show. But I'm so glad it's back, will finish the rest tomorrow.

Also is there any word on commentary tracks being added later or any other special features like a making-of documentary? I LOVED the commentary from the cast on some of the original episodes, I was hoping they would include some here too but if not oh well.

blamite

Anyone notice the Facebook chat notification sound randomly inserted into a couple episodes? One is really obvious in the first episode in one of the scene's when Michael's in the model home, but I distinctly remember hearing at least one more. Freaked me out and made me check all my browser windows to make sure I didn't have Facebook open somewhere.

I can only assume those were accidental, since there was absolutely no logical reason for those to be where they were.

def sim

I finished it. Getting used to the new formatting is the biggest barrier and will remain the reason it's not my favorite season, but I had fun.

Mariolee

Anyone notice the Facebook chat notification sound randomly inserted into a couple episodes? One is really obvious in the first episode in one of the scene's when Michael's in the model home, but I distinctly remember hearing at least one more. Freaked me out and made me check all my browser windows to make sure I didn't have Facebook open somewhere.

I can only assume those were accidental, since there was absolutely no logical reason for those to be where they were.

Whoa, wait, that wasn't just me? I was so confused.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

Nothing is accidental. I'm only on episode 10 but I'm expecting an answer.

Or I just missed a joke.

oatmeal

Banned

I do not recall these sounds.

whitehawk

Banned

Just noticed it during the tumbleweed scene... But they don't have internet there right?

blamite

Nothing is accidental. I'm only on episode 10 but I'm expecting an answer.

Or I just missed a joke.

I dunno, I finished the season and there was never even the slightest hint to make me think it was intentional. I have the feeling someone just had Facebook open while they were rendering the episodes :lol

The George Michael episodes should explain the Facebook joke.
Fake Block is the anti-facebook and Michael Cera looks like Jesse Eisenberg from the social network playing Mark Zuckerberg who invented FB.

Except these sound effects occur in scenes with no conceivable reason for a Facebook sound effect to happen. Unless it's supposed to be the most meta joke imaginable meant to make people watching this on their computers think someone's trying to contact them on Facebook, but that seems like a bit too much if a stretch, even for AD.

Yeah wtf, I'm only on episode 8, hopefully there will be some type of explantation.

oatmeal

Banned
I dunno, I finished the season and there was never even the slightest hint to make me think it was intentional. I have the feeling someone just had Facebook open while they were rendering the episodes :lol

That wouldn't do it, though.

The only thing I can think of is if they used a program like Audio Hijack to rip audio from something and that happened during a record. Not sure what they would be recording though...unless it's an incredibly meta joke about their showstealing software.

I've had that happen to me with other sounds and I don't catch it until the preview is out to a client.

But again, I haven't noticed it yet.

pulga

Banned
Just got done blasting through the season. Found it really disappointing at first, since the soul of the show was watching the whole family interact with one another, but as I grew accustomed to the new format and as things started to tie into each other I found myself loving AD once again.

Fuck that cliffhanger though.

oatmeal

Banned
Episode 2 is SO much better the second time.

Without the pressure of "Jesus show, get back to the rest of the family" and just focusing on what you know and where it ties in...helps tremendously.

Mariolee

The George Michael episodes should explain the Facebook joke.
Fake Block is the anti-facebook and Michael Cera looks like Jesse Eisenberg from the social network playing Mark Zuckerberg who invented FB.

I've watched the whole season and that still doesn't explain the seemingly random facebook notification rings unless those were cues and I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

OMG, it's the Erigu of Arrested Development

My favorite parts of AD are the parts that are "like everything else".

Oh wait, yet again you have nothing but just a vague description of what you're trying to say. I'm seeing a pattern here.

You're nothing like Erigu.

(EDIT)
LOL @ "Does Hurwitz not suck? How is that not baseless?"

No, he does not suck. He's the key component in one of the best TV sitcoms in history.

It's possible, perhaps, that this is his Deer Hunter. His entire life was building to create this one show and even though it ended, his mind was always on that one project.

But no, he's retarded.

funny-gif-little-kids-fighting-karate.gif

Enjoy interpretating things literaly, you'll go far. I'm gonna stop kicking now. Bye bye.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
There is some seemingly useless greenscreen. They green screened Lucille singing for the musical. She's not even with other actors...

Episode 2 is SO much better the second time.

Without the pressure of "Jesus show, get back to the rest of the family" and just focusing on what you know and where it ties in...helps tremendously.

Yeah, I plan on watching these all again without having to keep up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My least favorite things about the new season:

Not enough Annyong - Seriously he was in one episode for 5 seconds. Shame. Would have liked to see him pop up in every characters story from different POV's each time. Hello? (Also not enough Steve Holt, but I loved what we got)

Some characters had late arrivals - Because of the interesting format, which I liked, there was a drawback being that some characters, like Buster, didn't show up much at all until their own episodes. So some had a lot less screen time than they could have.

No Franklin - COME ON!

Oxigen_waste arguing about the stupidest thing you could argue about ever on the face of the earth ever. :-( Stop wasting oxygen please.

Gonna need a few more viewings. I'm going to watch it a few more times on Netflix and even purchase the DVD/BRD's when they come out. Everything I can to get a 5th season. Don't want a movie yet. I want another season. They can return to the normal format this time. Just give us 15 more episodes next May.

So... how is House of Cards anyway? It has Kevin Spacey in it and that's enough to pique my interest.

oatmeal

Banned
No Franklin - COME ON!

Oxigen_waste arguing about the stupidest thing you could argue about ever on the face of the earth ever. :-( Stop wasting oxygen please.

Gonna need a few more viewings. I'm going to watch it a few more times on Netflix and even purchase the DVD/BRD's when they come out. Everything I can to get a 5th season. Don't want a movie yet. I want another season. They can return to the normal format this time. Just give us 15 more episodes next May.

So... how is House of Cards anyway? It has Kevin Spacey in it and that's enough to pique my interest.

Agreed on Franklin and Oxigen.

House of Cards is fantastic. Definitely watch it. It's not a 'rip through the series in one night' type of show, though. Slow and deliberate like Mad Men.

BTW, I really liked that AD included act breaks in this.

oatmeal

Banned
Well to be considered the best season ever I shouldn't have to wait until episode 11 to be entertained

I just watched the first 10 minutes of Jurassic Park and was thoroughly bored. Very little dinosaurs. Seemed like a lot of talking. Old guy was annoying, and couldn't stand Newman.

Don't get the hype.

blamite

Episode 14 spoilers-ish
Anyone else pick up on the misdirection that Buster would going to lose a testicle. From "I keep losing my jewels" re: the diamonds on his hook to the comments on his outfit in episode 14. Plus Lucille's "now nobody will ear your screams!" The naked sewing machine scene made me nervous for this reason. It also would have kind of tied in to George Sr.'s testosterone... storyline... thing. Glad it didn't happen though, that would've been too painful.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just watched the first 10 minutes of Jurassic Park and was thoroughly bored. Very little dinosaurs. Seemed like a lot of talking. Old guy was annoying, and couldn't stand Newman.

Don't get the hype.
Newman's the best part though. But I agree. I didn't see a single dinosaur in that first 10 minutes. Just a lot of exposition.

Gonna need a few more viewings. I'm going to watch it a few more times on Netflix and even purchase the DVD/BRD's when they come out. Everything I can to get a 5th season. Don't want a movie yet. I want another season. They can return to the normal format this time. Just give us 15 more episodes next May
Have they talked about a disc release and when that would happen? I probably won't get it though. I recently sold a lot of my DVD/blurays as I transition to digital. Just take up too much space and I haven't watched a disc in years. I'll just stream them forever off Netflix.

blamite

Overall there as something about the way the season as shot (the camera moves and angles mostly I think?) that made it feel like one of the live episodes of 30 Rock, here it feels like the same show, but something about the presentation just... feels... off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom