• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
In season 3 Ron and Maeby were hinted at knowing each other pretty well. So I assume she has been to his house or something

ohhhh okay, that makes a ton of sense with the way
Ron said "days at the mansion" then.
I guess that's one of the things I missed out on by not rewatching the series before starting season 4.

oatmeal

Banned
"You get older...you do a 'something' search of your name."

Heh.

The first episode is littered with shit you couldn't possibly know on the first watch.

bananas

Banned
During the final flashback to the original three seasons (in the second to last episode), the final frame shows this:

e1RFM9O.jpg

Bear

i'm on episode 12, is it explained yet how Maeby knows
Rebel? Ron says from her days at the mansion but I don't get it.

I'm pretty sure he said from Imagine. She worked for Ron Howard there
before Kitty "buried" her
so it makes sense that she knows his daughter.

I wish I could have gotten through all of them today, but I got through seven. Stupid family get-togethers taking away my valuable AD time!

Mad Men is going to have to wait 'til the morning, too.

Nether!

Just finished the season.

Loved it!

Seems a bunch of others had the same issue with the first few episodes.
They felt really empty to me, but by maybe the fourth episode it was great.

Stand-out episodes were GOB, Buster, George-Michael and Maeby.
Outside of the first few like I mentioned I wasn't loving the Tobias episodes - will have to rewatch and see if my opinion changes.

As the last episode kept getting closer to the end I kept wondering how they would tie everything up.
I guess we'll be getting some new stuff soon!

Hope this is a huge success for Netflix, it was a real success for Arrested Development fans (at least for me).

Sounds like Ron really brought his A-game with that idea.

So "rags to ritches" is the genious part? And not "elaborate, highly comical script resulting from repeated rewritings and rehearsals"? That's your defence for Hurwitz? Ron comes up with the concept behind the show's brilliance. Hurwitz comes up with the setting. And you're using that in defence of Hurwitz? I think you just fought yourself off on that one.

I'm not insulting you, I'm insulting your baseless claims.

That's all they are.

What baseless claims? He IS a one hit wonder. The rest of the staff ISN'T. I think he didn't play a significant part in what makes AD good. I love how 2 facts and 1 opinion are baseless claims. You've watched one too many Lost episodes, dude...

That David Chase is a fucking loser.

He did The Sopranos...and what else?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Are his other works shit? 'cause poor old Miitch has absolutely nothing even remotely good to his name other than AD. He sucked before AD. He sucks after. Either he had a huge stroke of genius or he just isn't that good. I choose B. I'll eat my words if he ever proves me wrong. Until then, there's not much else to discuss, is there?

Clearly he's retarded.

#callback

iNeNoN63awAdQ.gif

oatmeal

Banned
So "rags to ritches" is the genious part? And not "elaborate, highly comical script resulting from repeated rewritings and rehearsals"? That's your defence for Hurwitz? Ron comes up with the concept behind the show's brilliance. Hurwitz comes up with the setting. And you're using that in defence of Hurwitz? I think you just fought yourself off on that one.

I would imagine that 'rags to riches' being the idea that sold the project, leading to him being asked to WRITE the pilot...that means he came up with more than a generic idea for how a show should work.

So if I go to a writer and say "write a story that is amazing and intricate with connections that takes multiple read throughs to understand" and they do it. Who is the one to thank? Probably the writer, right?

No, Ron Howard.

What baseless claims? He IS a one hit wonder. The rest of the staff ISN'T. I think he didn't play a significant part in what makes AD good. I love how 2 facts and 1 opinion are baseless claims. You've watched one too many Lost episodes, dude...

You claim that his team elevated him and that he is terrible and retarded. Is his other stuff as good as AD? No. Does that mean that his staff carried him through AD like you claim? No.

You say Ron is the brains behind the show and even though everyone from cast to other writers laud Hurwitz for his meticulous work on the show...you default to Ron Howard.

And LOST was great. But we're not talking about that.

Are his other works shit? 'cause poor old Miitch has absolutely nothing even remotely good to his name other than AD. He sucked before AD. He sucks after. Either he had a huge stroke of genius or he just isn't that good. I choose B. I'll eat my words if he ever proves me wrong. Until then, there's not much else to discuss, is there?

David Chase has done nothing anyone would consider extraordinary outside of The Sopranos. But The Sopranos just happens to be one of the absolute best (and arguably the most influential) television dramas ever created.

Who gives a shit if Mitch Hurwitz is a one-hit wonder? Like The Sopranos, AD is a masterpiece and one of the most influential shows of its genre. And despite your lame and nonsensical attempts to marginalize him, AD is nothing without Mitch Hurwitz.

Anony

i have no intention of getting a netflix subscription
if i register for netflix and watch it then cancel it, i basically watched AD s4 for free due to the first month free

i dont see how this is helps AD or netflix in any ways and no different then just torrenting it

Mariolee

Wait, what about the part right there where it states that Ron hired Hurwitz to write it?

I loved this season. Only episode I didn't like was the second episode with George Sr. I loved how all of the stories connected and they called back on everything. I also don't get the comments on how it wasn't funny. I found myself bursting out in laughs every episode.

Favorite jokes that stood out:
Michael kicking the tumbleweed
Face-blindness
Marky Bark "blue-ing" himself
Lindsey making Lucille 2's banner on the "You're Killing Me Buster" poster
Showstealer Pro Trial Version
All of George Michael's and Maebe's episodes
The Q-test
Roofie circle
STEVE HOLT!
"Goodbye Annyong"
Anustart
Every Ostrich Reference
Same
Sound of Silence
'Something' it!
ANONYMOUS

Oh my god there's so much I can't even list them all.

if i register for netflix and watch it then cancel it, i basically watched AD s4 for free due to the first month free

i dont see how this is helps AD or netflix in any ways and no different then just torrenting it

By even getting a subscription in the first place, I'm guessing Netflix will notice its subscription count go up even if they are cancelling it later. I would say sign up for Netflix anyway to add to this number; you'd be surprised by how many people will actually stay on anyway.

Now to speculate for the movie/season 5!

Mairu

Netflix sees this and uses it to encourage more investment in original content? Maybe they could convert people who do this if they had more to watch that was new and original other than one show? Torrenting it doesn't give Netflix any data to work with.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

You still watched it, you still showed that there is an audience for original content and for some people that use this same tactic they won't remember to cancel and will get charged monthly until they do.

Or they genuinely enjoy netflix for the amazing service it is and will remain a loyal customer.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member

...do you want to pay for it or not?
If you want to, it's not so hard. Just use Netflix for a month and cancel after the first payment.

dorkimoe

Only on episode 3. Love the different cameos from different tv shows. Outsourced lolol

Also...that doesn't even look like the same Lindsey to me

Also I don't really like the way they are telling the story

After a 7 year break, and even with the new format, I can easily say after 7 episodes that Arrested Development is still one of the best written shows on TV. It takes like 3 episodes to really get going, but when it gets going, it gets GOING. The handling of plot lines is incredible. You're never quite sure how you should read any particular scene because of how it will probably be revisited later on and expanded on. I know they did that before, but man. I don't get the criticism in his thread. It's a bit different but it's still gotdamn AD.

Just watched 9 and 10:

-"But trust me, we're fucked"
-"Are you threating yourself?" "Maybe I am" lol Buster (criminally underused to this point)
-George's fears about being too much in the treason area where the government would execute them lol
-"He looks like you" "So, handsome"
Michael and GOB seeing the same girl again, nice
-"I probably should've expected that"

CzarTim

Just finished it. I loved it, screw the haters.

Honestly, it looks like the response is almost overwhelmingly positive of the people who have actually finished the whole season. Though I guess it is mostly the diehard fans who would blast them through them all in one day.

I would imagine that 'rags to riches' being the idea that sold the project, leading to him being asked to WRITE the pilot...that means he came up with more than a generic idea for how a show should work.

So if I go to a writer and say "write a story that is amazing and intricate with connections that takes multiple read throughs to understand" and they do it. Who is the one to thank? Probably the writer, right?

No, Ron Howard.

Oh I love the writing team and do think they're to thank for the brilliance of the show. =) I just don't think Mitch is good. The episodes he wrote alone (like the pilot) are nowhere near the best.

Anyway, we clearly have opposite views on this. You seem to value the "like everything else" aspects of AD more than the ones that make it stand out. That's your perogative... fine. I get that hard work is important, but making the show come true would mean nothing without the concept that ensured it's brilliance and the TEAM of writers behind it's amazing humor. Hurwitz sounds about as replaceable as can be, on the team.

You claim that his team elevated him and that he is terrible and retarded. Is his other stuff as good as AD? No. Does that mean that his staff carried him through AD like you claim? No.

Yeah, I actually think Hurwitz is retarded. This is way serious. For fuck's sake.

As for the team elevating him, I just meant that getting praise from his co-workers means very little in showbiz. It's hardly anything to go by. I think his failure to produce anything else worth a damn is far more relevant. And I think the staff carried him through. Prove me wrong.

You say Ron is the brains behind the show and even though everyone from cast to other writers laud Hurwitz for his meticulous work on the show...you default to Ron Howard.

I don't think Ron is the brains. I don't think there are any specific brains behind it. Ron created the basis of a revolutionary show, Hurwitz supplied his experience as show runner and the writing team made it click. I think Hurwitz's creative role must have been quite limited. (again, the Irwin Kershner thing). He's the manager figure, imo.

And LOST was great. But we're not talking about that.

Oh dear lord. It had the potential to be good. And it occasionally was, but as good as the characters are, there was never any saving the terribly empty plot. It's a mess. An addictive mess, but a mess nonetheless.

Anyway, that's quite enough of this.

I'm not insulting you, I'm insulting your baseless claims.

That's all they are.

How are they baseless? Did the rest of the writers not have great careers? Does Hurwitz's not suck? How the hell is that baseless?

I don't think he's talented or responsible for ADs brilliance in any way. I used too, but after seeing his other stuff, I just completely lost "faith" in him. Which is all you have too. The staff said he was essential. Yeah, so did the ESB staff when refering to Irwin Kershner. On the one hand I have the rest of his career as comparison, on the other, co-workers said he was awesome. Neither is particularly solid or has intrinsic value as proof. So I chose to believe the one that makes the most sense to me.
What's baseless about having an opinion that makes logical sense.

Wait, what about the part right there where it states that Ron hired Hurwitz to write it?

Yeah, 'cause the pilot is like insanely good. It's the best thing ever.

David Chase has done nothing anyone would consider extraordinary outside of The Sopranos. But The Sopranos just happens to be one of the absolute best (and arguably the most influential) television dramas ever created.

Who gives a shit if Mitch Hurwitz is a one-hit wonder? Like The Sopranos, AD is a masterpiece and one of the most influential shows of its genre. And despite your lame and nonsensical attempts to marginalize him, AD is nothing without Mitch Hurwitz.

Well, I've never seen any post-Sops work of Chase's, so I couldn't really say. Hurwitz has ruined everything he touches except AD. Sue me for assuming he sucks.

And yeah, The Sops is top tier stuff. Along with The Wire, Dekalog, Heimat and Berlin Alexanderplatz, it reigns high atop everything else. And maybe Band of Brothers and Deadwood, too.

psykomyko

Honestly, it looks like the response is almost overwhelmingly positive of the people who have actually finished the whole season. Though I guess it is mostly the diehard fans who would blast them through them all in one day.

Yeah, now that I am reading through the last few pages you are right, but the last time I did, it was mostly hate.

I don't think anyone can seriously fault this Season... It was a tad bit shy of it's former glory, but it was still a hell of a ride, goddamnit.

Edit:
Jesus Christ, it's 6AM and I'm still here. I have to "be up" in an hour and a half, completely lost track of time... =S

rewatching the finale I just noticed the ice cream truck parked outside George Michael's house, implying one of the sex offenders drive it around. Holy shit.

Mariolee

So can we make a list of unresolved things they're going to set up in the film or next season (since it seems apparent that they feel fairly confident we'll have one):

1. Lucille 2's Supposed Death and Buster's Murder Trial
2. George Sr.'s newfound femininity and his real divorce with Lucille
3. GOB paying off the Mongol horde and his relationship with Tony Wonder
4. Lindsey's new political stint supporting the Wall
5. Michael and George Maharris's fight over Rebel
6. Faceblock and Anonymous
7. The movie that no one but Buster is in
8. Sally Sitwell taking over the company with help of Tony Wonder as is GOB competing to be President? (Not clear on this)

Am I missing anything? Tobias's story seemed to be tied up after he put on the play and his boat blew up with Marky Bark, and Oscar just kinda left. I forgot how they resolved it.

oatmeal

Banned
Oh I love the writing team and do think they're to thank for the brilliance of the show. =) I just don't think Mitch is good. The episodes he wrote alone (like the pilot) are nowhere near the best.

Anyway, we clearly have opposite views on this. You seem to value the "like everything else" aspects of AD more than the ones that make it stand out. That's your perogative... fine. I get that hard work is important, but making the show come true would mean nothing without the concept that ensured it's brilliance and the TEAM of writers behind it's amazing humor. Hurwitz sounds about as replaceable as can be, on the team.

Yeah, I actually think Hurwitz is retarded. This is way serious. For fuck's sake.

As for the team elevating him, I just meant that getting praise from his co-workers means very little in showbiz. It's hardly anything to go by. I think his failure to produce anything else worth a damn is far more relevant. And I think the staff carried him through. Prove me wrong.

I don't think Ron is the brains. I don't think there are any specific brains behind it. Ron created the basis of a revolutionary show, Hurwitz supplied his experience as show runner and the writing team made it click. I think Hurwitz's creative role must have been quite limited. (again, the Irwin Kershner thing). He's the manager figure, imo.

Oh dear lord. It had the potential to be good. And it occasionally was, but as good as the characters are, there was never any saving the terribly empty plot. It's a mess. An addictive mess, but a mess nonetheless.

Anyway, that's quite enough of this.

How are they baseless? Did the rest of the writers not have great careers? Does Hurwitz's not suck? How the hell is that baseless?

I don't think he's talented or responsible for ADs brilliance in any way. I used too, but after seeing his other stuff, I just completely lost "faith" in him. Which is all you have too. The staff said he was essential. Yeah, so did the ESB staff when refering to Irwin Kershner. On the one hand I have the rest of his career as comparison, on the other, co-workers said he was awesome. Neither is particularly solid or has intrinsic value as proof. So I chose to believe the one that makes the most sense to me.
What's baseless about having an opinion that makes logical sense.

Yeah, 'cause the pilot is like insanely good. It's the best thing ever.

Well, I've never seen any post-Sops work of Chase's, so I couldn't really say. Hurwitz has ruined everything he touches except AD. Sue me for assuming he sucks.

And yeah, The Sops is top tier stuff. Along with The Wire, Dekalog, Heimat and Berlin Alexanderplatz, it reigns high atop everything else. And maybe Band of Brothers and Deadwood, too.

OMG, it's the Erigu of Arrested Development

My favorite parts of AD are the parts that are "like everything else".

Oh wait, yet again you have nothing but just a vague description of what you're trying to say. I'm seeing a pattern here.

You're nothing like Erigu.

(EDIT)
LOL @ "Does Hurwitz not suck? How the hell is that baseless?"

No, he does not suck. He's the key component in one of the best TV sitcoms in history.

It's possible, perhaps, that this is his Deer Hunter. His entire life was building to create this one show and even though it ended, his mind was always on that one project.

But no, he's retarded. Just like Irwin.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
rewatching the finale I just noticed the ice cream truck parked outside George Michael's house, implying one of the sex offenders drive it around. Holy shit.
The whole joke implies all these sex offenders have some sort of child involved job. Pay attention to more of the people in the background. A lot of jobs are revealed.

CzarTim

So can we make a list of unresolved things they're going to set up in the film or next season (since it seems apparent that they feel fairly confident we'll have one):

4. Lindsey's new political stint supporting the Wall]
Oh man, it just occured to me that Lindsey and Sally will be running against each other ala the Class Presidency

Mariolee

Oh man, it just occured to me that Lindsey and Sally will be running against each other ala the Class Presidency

Yup!

Also, can someone reexplain the "ninja" joke to me. I sped through those episodes so quickly that I don't think I have a firm grasp on what exactly was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom