• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or would you stick it to them if they looked like you while you looked like them so that you'd be having sex with yourself but looking like them?
gobend7fuck.gif

witness

Holy shit Busters episode is my favorite AD episode ever. Just gold from start to finish.

Oh and Kristen Wiig was amazing in every scene!

No make that movie!!

Just started the GOB ep.

It's really starting to hit its stride. I had a feeling it would take a couple of eps to do so, just because it's kind of tricky at first to establish where everyone is and what they've been doing. But now, I'm really feeling it.

And the SHOWSTEALER PRO TRIAL VERSION is a gag, right? I know it has to be, but I want to make entirely sure.

EDIT: Just saw the Variety article. :lol

Well, you'd think that Netflix would have wanted more than just Mitch writing on this if he was as talentless as you claim.

Oh wait, they had a team of writers...most of which worked on the series?

Odd.

Huh... what? Oo

I don't think you understood my point. I love the writing team behind AD. I just think Hurwitz is worthless. I have yet to see a single good idea coming from him outside AD. Hence me congratulating the writing team members (who came from awesome careers and continued to flourish after AD) and "condemning" Hurwitz (who was never involved with anything above mediocre except for AD).

oatmeal

Banned
Huh... what? Oo

I don't think you understood my point. I love the writing team behind AD. I just think Hurwitz is worthless. I have yet to see a single good idea coming from him outside AD. Hence me congratulating the writing team members (who came from awesome careers and continued to flourish after AD) and "condemning" Hurwitz (who was never involved with anything above mediocre except for AD).

But that same team couldn't save Hurwitz from himself on season 4?

Goldrush

Justin Bateman said in an interview that this season will setup the movie.

Would love another season, but I can't see it continuing as anything other than a movie. The show can't possibly mined enough materials from the format for another season. There's no signs that the actors' scheduling clusterfuck of this season will resolve itself for the normal format.

renitou

Huh... what? Oo

You'd certainly be in a position to know. :p

NYR

And the SHOWSTEALER PRO TRIAL VERSION is a gag, right? I know it has to be, but I want to make entirely sure.l

I did a search on showstealer on Twitter this morning. The amount of stupidity on this planet scares me - some morons were claiming it was real editing software and that apologists should stop trying to cover for cheap Netflix. lol

bort

I did a search on showstealer on Twitter this morning. The amount of stupidity on this planet scares me - some morons were claiming it was real editing software and that apologists should stop trying to cover for cheap Netflix. lol

I still don't understand how people don't get this joke and are constantly asking about it

But that same team couldn't save Hurwitz from himself on season 4?

What? Oo I said the season was awesome. I criticized the new character centric format as opposed to the original's ensemble cast feel AND the increased focus on story.

This new format idea was completely retarded. The writing is as good as (or very very close) the old seasons, but it just doesn't work it's magic when they spread it out like this. It was an ensemble cast show, goddamnit!

I was particularly pissed about Buster's near-total absence until episode 10. Almost 5 hours into the season and he's had less than 5 mins airtime? He's like the 3rd most popular character!! It's just not right...

My congratulations to the writing team, they did it again.

As for whoever the retard (I'm assuming it was Hurwitz... no surprises there) that decided to switch over to this character-centric format is, what the fucking fuck, dude? Why would you blemish something this good in such an unecessary way?

The whole Rashomon thing is cute, but ultimately proves quite fruitless, from a humor POV.

All in all, I'm quite pleased... but can't help but feel that had it been shot in it's traditional format, it would've been quite more satisfying.

I agree with this sentiment. Way too much energy was wasted on the story (which is and has always been irrelevant... the acknowledgment of that is what made AD so good to begin with, they didn't care about the story, it was all about the jokes). Hurwitz is a talentless retard who lucked out with the writing team he got working with him in AD. All the man ever created is shit except for AD, and AD was only fantastic because of the writing. The concept and the story were just about as uninteresting as could be. For fuck's sake, what was the point.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I think it's still awesome as is. Just not the same levels of awesome.

I think Hurwitz got lucky, basically. We'll see if he ever does it again. If he does, I'll swallow my words (and gladly, too, since if he does do it again it'll probably be the new best thing ever).

You'd certainly be in a position to know. :p

Of course, there's not a shred of fact to it, but deductive logic inclines me to opine so.

I've only watched episode 1 so far and while I was originally against a movie, it would be better off it seems like. That way it will at least feel like the cast was all together.

Just finished the whole thing. I thought it was as good as the previous seasons. Some cringey humor with the occasional stroke of brilliance. So typical AD.

I also thought that the POV format was a good choice for the season. A neat way to catch up with every character and see what they've been doing since it was cancelled. And the way the plots all connect is neat too. I do hope that if they get another season it'll be in a more traditional ensemble format. This felt like it was setup, so hopefully it has a payoff.

Is there a reason they want a movie so badly? This seems perfect as a TV show, and I'm not sure what benefits a movie would offer other than a bigger budget. Another season or two on netflix would be fine by me.

Tabris

I'm scared to read this thread for spoilers, and I'm also scared for a big disappointment (rather not watch if it's not that good). So can anyone just give me the thumbs up whether it's good or not here.

Can one person sign into the someone's Netflix without kicking the other person off (if they're using it currently?) If not, what is the limit until it does kick people off?

I'm scared to read this thread for spoilers, and I'm also scared for a big disappointment (rather not watch if it's not that good). So can anyone just give me the thumbs up whether it's good or not here.

I give it a 15/16

oatmeal

Banned
What? Oo I said the season was awesome. I criticized the new character centric format as opposed to the original's ensemble cast feel AND the increased focus on story.

I think Hurwitz got lucky, basically. We'll see if he ever does it again. If he does, I'll swallow my words (and gladly, too, since if he does do it again it'll probably be the new best thing ever).

Of course, there's not a shred of fact to it, but deductive logic inclines me to opine so.
So your way of praising something is saying offensive things and calling the show runner and brains behind it a retard?

Interesting.

AND you were demoted to junior? I can't imagine why.

Because it's Arrested Development and jokes aren't always immediately obvious?
In certain episodes it even went further and had a small underlining text that said something like "trial use click here to go premium or pay" or something like that. Think you'll see it in one of the middle-late episodes.

That should have made it especially obvious that it was a joke.

Season 4 was amazing.
Started off a bit slow, but the setup payed off so well.

BRING ON SEASON 5!

Last episode spoilers:
Michael Cera moving into the pedophile neighborhood is literally the funniest scenario ever.
"HEY HE IS 22 AND LOOKS LIKE HE IS 16!"

Because it's Arrested Development and jokes aren't always immediately obvious?

"Showstealer Pro Trial Version" isn't obvious? =(
Really?

Moses Taylor's name was a hidden and hard to get joke. Wee Brain is a good example too. Showstealer Pro Trial Version is just about as obvious as it gets, Coop!

Just started Ep15. I loved the bit when George Michael
was in the student health clinic.

"Who would you like us to call, in case of an emergency?"
"...my dad."
"We're going to need an actual name."

So your way of praising something is saying offensive things and calling the show runner and brains behind it a retard?

Interesting.

AND you were demoted to junior? I can't imagine why.

He made a bad decision. I called him on it. You expect me to be corteous about it on an online forum? Barely any forum has the posh tea salon etiquette GAF enforces...

I firmly believe he is incompetent. And since Ron Howard was the one behind the original concept, not Hurwitz, I'm sorry if I don't seem him as the brains behind it. I thought he was awesome... until I checked out his other work. I think he got lucky. Ron Howard handed him the concept, he gathered some awesome writers... and I see 0 of his influence in AD. It surfaced a bit in this Season...

He made a bad decision. I called him on it. You expect me to be corteous about it on an online forum? Barely any forum has the posh tea salon etiquette GAF enforces...

I firmly believe he is incompetent. And since Ron Howard was the one behind the original concept, not Hurwitz, I'm sorry if I don't seem him as the brains behind it. I thought he was awesome... until I checked out his other work. I think he got lucky. Ron Howard handed him the concept, he gathered some awesome writers... and I see 0 of his influence in AD. It surfaced a bit in this Season...

Wow.

Besides the fact that iterally everyone involved in arrested development credits hurwitz as the creative genius behind the show...
And of course the other writers are a huge help, but mitch definitely shouldn't be discredited.

oatmeal

Banned

So what exactly did Ron say? Where did Ron's input to the life of the Bluth family end and Mitch's begin?

"Showstealer Pro Trial Version" isn't obvious? =(
Really?

Moses Taylor's name was a hidden and hard to get joke. Wee Brain is a good example too. Showstealer Pro Trial Version is just about as obvious as it gets, Coop!

In certain episodes it even went further and had a small underlining text that said something like "trial use click here to go premium or pay" or something like that. Think you'll see it in one of the middle-late episodes.

That should have made it especially obvious that it was a joke.

Because everyone and their mother would immediately recognize a joke about screen capture software?

It's pretty damn funny, now that I understand it. But I'm not going to feel like an idiot for not getting it right away.

Besides the fact that iterally everyone involved in arrested development credits hurwitz as the creative genius behind the show...
And of course the other writers are a huge help, but mitch definitely shouldn't be discredited.

I'll believe it when I see it. People being nice on camera about fellow professionals is nothing new. I see a talented team of tried and tested professionals and one guy with nothing else going for him.

He's probably got great managing skills. But as a creative type I just can't see it when all his other efforts suck. He's probably an Irvin Kershner/Zack Snyder "techincally good but creatively empty" type.

So what exactly did Ron say? Where did Ron's input to the life of the Bluth family end and Mitch's begin?

Lol, I have no idea. I just know Ron was behind the concept. Thanks to wikipedia.

oatmeal

Banned
I'll believe it when I see it. People being nice on camera about fellow professionals is nothing new. I see a talented team of tried and tested professionals and one guy with nothing else going for him.

He's probably got great managing skills. But as a creative type I just can't see it when all his other efforts suck. He's probably an Irvin Kershner/Zack Snyder "techincally good but creatively empty" type.

Lol, I have no idea. I just know Ron was behind the concept. Thanks to wikipedia.

And what was the concept he was behind?

Come on, man. Bring some facts behind your argument against Mitch. You're just making stuff up because of reasons.

(EDIT)
since we're using Wikipedia now...

Discussion that led to the creation of the series began in the summer of 2002.[8] Ron Howard had the original idea to create a comedy series in the style of handheld cameras and reality television, but with an elaborate, highly comical script resulting from repeated rewritings and rehearsals.[8] Howard met with David Nevins, the President of Imagine Television, Katie O'Connell, a senior vice president, and two writers, including Mitchell Hurwitz.[8] In light of recent corporate accounting scandals, such as Enron and Adelphia, Hurwitz suggested a story about a "riches to rags" family.[8] Howard and Imagine were immediately interested in using this idea, and signed Hurwitz to write the show.

Sounds like Ron really brought his A-game with that idea.

You're making bold inflammatory statements on basically no evidence.

He's a one hit wonder. Everyone else involved isn't and came from/went on to great projects. Just calling it like I see it. In the case of deductive logic vs. nothing, I'm going with the logic one.

I love how reinforcing an idea most of us agree with is supposed to be inflamatory. Did anyone even preffer the new format, or are you all getting offended because of PCness? Just because I said a boo boo everyone goes crazy... Carlin help me.

And what was the concept he was behind?

Come on, man. Bring some facts behind your argument against Mitch. You're just making stuff up because of reasons.

(EDIT)
since we're using Wikipedia now...

Sounds like Ron really brought his A-game with that idea.

I didn't make a single thing up. If you can't respect my opinion at least don't insult me.

Yeah, your intuition is definitely right.

Meanwhile, everyone who actually works on the show who has praised Hurwitz - they're just full of shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom