• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Just saw Michael call Lucille 2 a "hot mess" after the second time she falls in her apartment in ep1. Telegraphed the whole way!

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I started rewatching season 4, and there's the opening Cinco de Quatro scene where Michael starts walking up the stair car to sex-up Lucille 2. While he disappears out of frame, the camera zooms in on the Austero Bluth Company logo on the side of the car. There's a flare of extremely foreboding music while this happens.

Isn't this right before she ends up
dead
? I'm having a hard time remembering when a lot of the events in this series happen - they don't leave a lot of "anchors" for the date (e.g., "It's 2006 and I'm a real estate agent...") and end up spanning, what - 2006 through...I actually don't know. 2010? Is the Cinco de Quatro party the most "recent" event in the series? What year did that take place?

Anyways, if that is indeed the last scene in which we see Lucille 2 the followup scene is narrated by "Later that night, after Michael did something unthinkable, he was looking for a place to hide." He walks in the model home, and immediately goes to wash his hands.

I think
Michael murdered Lucille 2!

Not really...but I could use some clarification on the timeline. Is there a nice Primer-style jpg I could reference? When/where did that thing w/ Lucille 2 actually happen?

Man. I don't remember that. I don't know if I've become dumber in my years or if this season is just a heck of a lot harder to follow.

I believe it's maebys episode. At fakeblock HQ she gives him a cadaallaic.

It's also in the finale when michael and George Michael meet and michael coming on te bumper sticker on the car

strobogo

Banned
I bet there is a reference to Getaway, Getaway in every episode. Michael singing the melody when he met Rebel, Lucille 2 singing it before getting attacked by the ostrich, and then every episode with Gob after 6. God, the scene with Lucille 2 makes so much more sense now. The first time I couldn't even tell she was singing and thought she was actually yelling for someone to get away from her.

Mariolee

I just realized the bartender in Maeby's episode is Dean Spreck.

Oh my god, I didn't even notice. Also, the black gay cop is the janitor in Community. Also, Tony Hale was the art teacher in Community. And the one brunette chick who was with John Beard in his TV show during George Sr.'s first episode was in the Origins episode of Community. Also, Dan Harmon was in that same episode. Also, John Michael Higgins played both a lawyer in AD and the "sieze the day" teacher in Community.

I started rewatching season 4, and there's the opening Cinco de Quatro scene where Michael starts walking up the stair car to sex-up Lucille 2. While he disappears out of frame, the camera zooms in on the Austero Bluth Company logo on the side of the car. There's a flare of extremely foreboding music while this happens.

Isn't this right before she ends up
dead
? I'm having a hard time remembering when a lot of the events in this series happen - they don't leave a lot of "anchors" for the date (e.g., "It's 2006 and I'm a real estate agent...") and end up spanning, what - 2006 through...I actually don't know. 2010? Is the Cinco de Quatro party the most "recent" event in the series? What year did that take place?

Anyways, if that is indeed the last scene in which we see Lucille 2 the followup scene is narrated by "Later that night, after Michael did something unthinkable, he was looking for a place to hide." He walks in the model home, and immediately goes to wash his hands.

I think
Michael murdered Lucille 2!

Not really...but I could use some clarification on the timeline. Is there a nice Primer-style jpg I could reference? When/where did that thing w/ Lucille 2 actually happen?

My theory.

Zebra

I just want to point out how much I love the scene with Gob in the hospital talking to Ann, and he suffers from one of his "sh-sh-sh-sh-sh" panic attacks. Then Ann tries to calm him down with shushes, and Gob puts in retaliatory "you shush-"s into his gibberish. :lol

I just want to point out how much I love the scene with Gob in the hospital talking to Ann, and he suffers from one of his "sh-sh-sh-sh-sh" panic attacks. Then Ann tries to calm him down with shushes, and Gob puts in retaliatory "you shush-"s into his gibberish. :lol

Haha, I need to watch that again now. The first scene was Gob and Michael with that was genius.

dantehemi

You'll start off feeling a mix of confusion and disappointment until episode 4.

By episode 4 you'll start getting used to the new format, the longer scenes and narration, and will start getting more invested in the mysteries of the plot.

From episodes 5 to 8 you'll realize that Hurwitz knows what he's doing and your initial disappointment will seem pre-mature and inaccurate. You start realizing that the show is still as good as it ever was. Just different.

From episodes 9 through 12 you realize that the season is actually kind of genius, and when all the pieces in the air start coming together you'll feel a mix of arousal and self-actualization. You might actually blue yourself.

By episode 13 you will stop comparing this season to the other seasons, and declare season 4 to be a genius offshoot from the original series. If someone near you says it's not as good, you will get hostile.

By the end of the series you will revert back to your consensus from episode 13, then rewatch the season immediately.

Get out of my head!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself, right down to the episode numbers.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Oh my god, I didn't even notice. Also, the black gay cop is the janitor in Community. Also, Tony Hale was the art teacher in Community. And the one brunette chick who was with John Beard in his TV show during George Sr.'s first episode was in the Origins episode of Community. Also, Dan Harmon was in that same episode. Also, John Michael Higgins played both a lawyer in AD and the "sieze the day" teacher in Community.

My theory.

I like it.... I always wondered why he was in the banana stand shirt.. there's also a little bit of blood on it, too... looks like chocolate, but dried blood is more brown than red.

Also, as I've said, and others too before, the Crack addict that Lindsay sleeps with is the German guy from Community, too.

I like it.... I always wondered why he was in the banana stand shirt.. there's also a little bit of blood on it, too... looks like chocolate, but dried blood is more brown than red.

I just rewatched the Pilot of the whole show, and it's great to see that's the same exact shirt style from episode 1. too cool.

Mudkips

Banned
Thats an absurd theory about Tracey. Rebel is an illegitimate child of Ron Howard, which is why she was conceived in an alley, "we dont talk about her" is a joke because shes illegitimate, I think its implied thats common knowledge.

Her being conceived in an alley is an absurd theory. Alley is Ron Howard's wife's maiden name.

I bet there is a reference to Getaway, Getaway in every episode. Michael singing the melody when he met Rebel, Lucille 2 singing it before getting attacked by the ostrich, and then every episode with Gob after 6. God, the scene with Lucille 2 makes so much more sense now. The first time I couldn't even tell she was singing and thought she was actually yelling for someone to get away from her.

"Stop it, chicken!"

kirblar

The thing I'm wondering about, is Mitch had all this written and planned within the past 2 years. So when scheduling came around and he couldn't get everyone as long as he wanted, I wonder how much material he had to scrap? or save for later? Tony Hale keeps being mentioned as someone who had little time. So I wonder what else had might have had planned for Ol' Buster and the others.
This was originally 13 episodes, and expanded to 15.

Narratively, I think the arcs like George Michael's, Maeby's, Lucille and Lindsays's, which ended with some sort of personal character growth/development, ended up the strongest by a mile.

Ridli

I still want GOB to figure out who sabotaged his act. I'm almost positive it was Ann's father.

It's gotta be Pastor Veal, but! If you wanna entertain the notion of a curveball, it could be a "t" for Tobias. I don't really see that though, he and GOB seem to be okay with each other.

Derpaherp this thread moved fast and i'm behind.

saunderez

It's gotta be Pastor Veal, but! If you wanna entertain the notion of a curveball, it could be a "t" for Tobias. I don't really see that though, he and GOB seem to be okay with each other.

Derpaherp this thread moved fast and i'm behind.

It was definitely Ann. She's wearing the cross prior to the wedding and she's not when she breaks up with Gob in the hospital. The "T" thing was just a callback to Maeby calling a crucifix a "T" in the old episodes.

Just finished.

Similar to what others have said, I started off thinking "Oh no," before transitioning to "Oh, this is alright," to "This is consistent with Arrested Development." It's still the worst season of the show, largely in part to the cast having so little interaction as well as the longer format removing the sharp, fast pace of the original run. There is at least one episode that I would make the distinction of being "a bad episode of Arrested Development" (Lucille's), but the season's unusual format, with its flaws, is neat, and I'm glad that they took such a risk (though I hope future AD will be more traditional).

The ending was great. I was honestly expecting everything would resolve in an open-ended conclusion, and was shocked by the abrupt leave-off, and left to realize that there were so many plot threads left hanging for the future (
George Sr.'s testosterone, Lucille 2's disappearance, Buster's evidence, Lindsey's campaign, Maeby's sex offense, and so on
). It's such a perfect way to end a season.

I'm guessing that they're definitely moving towards continuing the show over doing the movie now. And I'm fine with that.

Clevinger

so much narration

narrating every single detail and action

Let the actors breathe, Hurwitz. Jesus.

My only big complaint. The season's really picking up now.

Going through my day I randomly started cracking up about that George Maharis and Perfecto Telles joke...most of us would have probably never gotten that if another AD fan hadn't pointed that out. Thats a joke like 30 years in the making. LOL

Kurdel

Banned
I thought the whole thing was going to end up being the Bluths purchasing the Ostrich farm from Marky Bark (which is on the right side of the border), and sell it to the governement or actually build the wall and make their money back.

I thought the whole thing was going to end up being the Bluths purchasing the Ostrich farm from Marky Bark (which is on the right side of the border), and sell it to the governement or actually build the wall and make their money back.

Loved how Oscar was on worthless land once again. I still think the Wall is going to wind up being a bigger plan of Stan Sitwell's that George Sr mistakenly interpreted.

Iksenpets

Banned
I love when Michael, Carl Weathers, Andy, and the prison warden slow walk into imagine studios

I really wish Carl and the Warden could've gotten more time. Their one little cameo wasn't enough.

Also, I was just remembering the moment when Michael found out Rebel is Ron's daughter and not his mistress, and that look of disgust Tobias gave him. Michael managing to disgust Tobias was so hilarious.

Mikey Jr.

So Im up to episode 4, and yeah, what I'm not liking so far is the little interaction between everyone. Its like everyone is off on their own adventure for 40 minutes, then the next episode its someone else for 40 minutes.

Its too much. The 40 minutes of Lindsay was brutal. Yeah, it had a little Tobias which was great, but man. Are the rest of the episodes going to be like this? Cause it kinda sucks right now.

On a new episode, and now were back to Michael on his adventure. Urghhh.....

I think I saw maybe 1 minute of Buster so far and maybe 2 minutes of Gob.

Iksenpets

Banned
So Im up to episode 4, and yeah, what I'm not liking so far is the little interaction between everyone. Its like everyone is off on their own adventure for 40 minutes, then the next episode its someone else for 40 minutes.

Its too much. The 40 minutes of Lindsay was brutal. Yeah, it had a little Tobias which was great, but man. Are the rest of the episodes going to be like this? Cause it kinda sucks right now.

It gets better as more and more layers are introduced. No one likes the first few episodes on the first viewing. By the end it's great, and the revelations of later episodes make the earlier ones better in hindsight.

robochimp

The first 3 episodes lay the groundwork. Epidode 4 is a perfectly good episode. Number 5 will give you A NU START.

On the side of the Mexican pharmacy Gob was getting his forget-me-nots from:

WARNING: Are you in a roofie circle?

How to tell:

- The shame feels like it doesn't go away
- People are surprised when you're surprised to see them
- Loss of Mouth
- Weight Gain

I really wish Carl and the Warden could've gotten more time. Their one little cameo wasn't enough.

Also, I was just remembering the moment when Michael found out Rebel is Ron's daughter and not his mistress, and that look of disgust Tobias gave him. Michael managing to disgust Tobias was so hilarious.
More Carl Weathers is always better!

And lmao at the Tobias/Michael scene

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom