• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Going through my day I randomly started cracking up about that George Maharis and Perfecto Telles joke...most of us would have probably never gotten that if another AD fan hadn't pointed that out. Thats a joke like 30 years in the making. LOL

I must have missed this, what was the joke?

The first 3 episodes lay the groundwork. Epidode 4 is a perfectly good episode. Number 5 will give you A NU START.

arrested-development-buster-happy-clap.gif

I must have missed this, what was the joke?

"George Maharis Arrested in Men's Room", Gay Scene, December 1974: "Famous Hollywood actor George Maharis was arrested November 21 and charged with committing a sex act with a hairdresser in the men's room of a gas station in Los Angeles... He was booked on a sex perversion charge along with Perfecto Telles, 33, the hairdresser, and released on $500 bail, according to police." An earlier guilty plea for a Hollywood lewd conduct arrest on 15 December 1967 with a male is also documented.

I'm happy to share, that my Brother has finally started watching Arrested Development after years of me trying to get him to watch it! :D

tumblr_lsgt8qcT7g1r1gj1ko1_500.jpg

Wish I could watch it all again for the first time!

Burt

I like the structure, but I'm not in love with it. I think that seeing all the layers of the jokes one by one isn't as effective as seeing all the different pieces come together at the same time. The best analogy I can think of is the season 2 ending with
"Dad's gonna be crushed". After we heard that and thought we knew what GOB meant, they immediately hit us with the double meaning when we were least expecting it. If that joke was played out in the season 4 structure, we would've known that George was already under the house
and it still would've been funny, but not quite the one-two whammy of a back-to-back reveal.

It's more interesting seeing how the web is spun piece by piece, but it's funnier when you see it all play out simultaneously. Just imagine the insanity if Cinco de Cuatro was a single episode. Probably went the way they did because of shooting/scheduling conflicts though.

I like the structure, but I'm not in love with it. I think that seeing all the layers of the jokes one by one isn't as effective as seeing all the different pieces come together at the same time. The best analogy I can think of is the season 2 ending with
"Dad's gonna be crushed". After we heard that and thought we knew what GOB meant, they immediately hit us with the double meaning when we were least expecting it. If that joke was played out in the season 4 structure, we would've known that George was already under the house
and it still would've been funny, but not quite the one-two whammy of a back-to-back reveal.

It's more interesting seeing how the web is spun piece by piece, but it's funnier when you see it all play out simultaneously. Just imagine the insanity if Cinco de Cuatro was a single episode. Probably went the way they did because of shooting/scheduling conflicts though.

Not probably, actually. They've literally said it's structured the way it is because of shooting conflicts

Burt

Not probably, actually. They've literally said it's structured the way it is because of shooting conflicts
Yeah, I thought I'd heard something along those lines but wasn't positive. Hopefully the unqualified success of this season will be enough to persuade everyone involved to do it right for another season.

Yeah, I thought I'd heard something along those lines but wasn't positive. Hopefully the unqualified success of this season will be enough to persuade everyone involved to do it right for another season.

I'm hoping, if they do a season every 2 years, that'll be enough time to clear up schedules.

cacophony

what was the hardest you laughed this season?

Gob's trick killed me. and the whole To Catch a Predator bit

maybe it's because he's always been my favorite character but I feel like Gob was the stand out this season

maybe it's because he's always been my favorite character but I feel like Gob was the stand out this season
"Hello, anus tart."

I didn't get the license plate joke until then
ipD8y9xtjEkKZ.jpg

ediT: oh yeah, and the duck

FrsDvl

I'm going real slow on this season which surprised me cause I was pretty hype. I'm at episode 7 now, which i will watch later tonight. So far the best episode was definitely episode 5. The whole anus tart cracks me up. Tobias never disappoints.

Ruze789

I loved the Gob episodes, they felt so right.

And Tony Wonder's voicemail message is what made me laugh the hardest, especially Gob trying to play it cool after.

Slacker

I'm catching something new every time I rewatch an episode. Just started my third trip through and realized that the mariachi band at Cinco de Cuatro is singing "La Cucuracha" but in English. The cockroach! The cockroach!. Awesome.

Iksenpets

Banned

Definitely the Thanksgiving Miracle. Followed by the mouse behind the ear.

& Gob's ringtone being Getaway

I thought Getaway was kind of lame at first, but when Lucille said she had to getaway getaway, perfecto.

addik

Going for a rewatch today! I think everything will be clearer to me when I rewatch.

I don't understand what's pretentious about having a favorite show and finding obscure things.

It really isn't so much about finding obscure things, but using that as a reason to putting AD to a pedestal of holiness and nothing else. I'm actually rewatching to find more easter eggs.

Natiko

Banned
I think some of the complaints are overblown. There's a couple subpar episodes but I really, really enjoyed it overall. I thought the structure worked well. Some nice use of misdirection only to unveil the truth in a later episode. I hope they continue it as a show as opposed to the movie. I just don't see them having enough time in a movie to do it justice.

Trike

I thought it was pretty good, but easily the worst season of Arrested Development. They really should have just waited for the actor's schedules to clear up. I can't imagine most of them are intensely busy with work.

For those of you wanting a movie, surprise! You watched it. Look at the ending credits of episode 15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom