• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not super far in to this season yet, so I won't judge it too harshly, but I am missing the character interactions A LOT. Everybody bouncing jokes off of everyone else was what I loved so much about the show.

So far I have laughed quite a bit this season so far, but the individual episodes seem to drag more often than an original AD episode. A bit too much narrator as well.
Just started a whole rewatch. Season 5 can be awesome if they get everyone actually together. Better happen sooner then later.
Definitely agree with this.

Just started a whole rewatch. Season 5 can be awesome if they get everyone actually together. Better happen sooner then later.

Yep, it's why I'm hoping it doesn't take 2 years for another revival. Hopefully numbers show up soon and are very good to get everyone signed on to be together for whatever's next.

kirblar

The old pacing seems to return when they shift focus to another character in the same episode for a bit. Hopefully they can make an S5 more of an ensemble piece.

gosox333

I only just now realized there wasn't any Franklin...

I was worried they'd be too reliant on past jokes this season, but aside from the first episode (the forced loose seal in the captain hook joke), there were absolutely no callbacks that felt crammed down my throat. In fact, it left me wishing there were more older jokes, which is something I didn't think would happen at all.

Yep, it's why I'm hoping it doesn't take 2 years for another revival. Hopefully numbers show up soon and are very good to get everyone signed on to be together for whatever's next.

Hurwitz is clearly setting up for another season or some kind of conclusion. I would like to think if Netflix leadership was really determined on it being a one-off season he would have given it more closure instead of leaving more teases and open plot lines.

The old pacing seems to return when they shift focus to another character in the same episode for a bit. Hopefully they can make an S5 more of an ensemble piece.

It does. I respect what they wanted to do, but I really think that having an a story/b story format (maybe focusing on two characters per episode) would have helped the pacing a bit, especially in the Tobias episodes. Although the pacing is a bit better on rewatch.

Yeah, AD has never gone all out on incest. Doubt they'd do it now. That's Game of Thrones territory.

They can artlessly explain it away by saying she's only his half-sister (which she would be) :p

Thats an absurd theory about Tracey. Rebel is an illegitimate child of Ron Howard, which is why she was conceived in an alley, "we dont talk about her" is a joke because shes illegitimate, I think its implied thats common knowledge.

He said "we don't talk about her" in the shuttle. Later when coming out he says, "You probably think I'm terrible for even mentioning her to you." That seemed odd to me at the time, like why would that be terrible? I get that she's illegitimate but mentioning her wouldn't seem a big deal to me, and we know Howard likes to control the casting on stuff so...

Anyway, just a thought.

mj1108

Reading through AV Club's first set of detailed episode-by-episode reviews makes me appreciate how much better it's going to be the second time around. There's so much to digest.

Can anyone ever fully grasp and appreciate AD on the first viewing? It's pretty much impossible. I wasn't even totally crazy about Season 2 the first time I saw it (as it originally aired on FOX), and now I think it's probably the best of the original three seasons.

I just hope the folks who were really turned off by Season 4 give it another go. I think its reception has nowhere to go but up.

The first couple episodes of S4 aren't the strongest but they actually become much better on rewatches after you've been through all 15 episodes.

Can someone spoiler post what happens at the end of the credits in the last episode?

Lucille calls Gob and tells him it's his time to be president of the Bluth Company now that Lucille 2 is gone. He then gets a voicemail from Tony Wonder and realizes that Tony took a forget-me-now to forget the previous night (where they had "normal" sex...same) and has a blank/hurt expression on his face.

and

Buster gets busted for Lucille 2's murder, in her apartment, with a Lucille 2 doll he made.

big ander

Can someone spoiler post what happens at the end of the credits in the last episode?

well we're allowed to post unmarked now, and I assume if you want to know that you've seen the show and just skipped the credits. so here:
Lucille asks Gob to be president now that Lucille 2 is gone, and tells him not to be in any scandals. Tony calls Gob and asks him if they're still on for a sex date; Tony took a roofie and doesn't remember last night. Buster's arrested for Lucille 2's death. Ron Howard and Brian Grazer watch news of the arrest on TV and, since Buster's the only person they only have the rights too, they're allowed to move forward with a movie of his (and maybe the family's) story.

So what's the consensus on the new season? I'm contemplating starting it up, but I'm a little skeptical about how this new one was produced.

So what's the consensus on the new season? I'm contemplating starting it up, but I'm a little skeptical about how this new one was produced.

It's good, some of us would say better than season 3. It takes a few episodes to gel, and will feel a bit wrong at first. The Gob episodes are top tier AD.

Zebra

Ambitious and unique. Starts off sluggish, but gets better and remains great. Overall not as good as S1-3, but still has many individual moments that are just as good as the best stuff from S1-3.

Am I reading that temperature right, GAF?

Geek

Ninny Prancer
I understand that part. ;) I don't understand how Geek is connecting that to Rebel.

Just that Ron named his daughter after the street she was conceived on and that Michael did the inverse — named a street after his wife. It's not the strongest theory, I'll admit. :)

LOFLLLL

I just realized the title of an actual episode is "It Gets Better" which, among so many other references it's making, is what every single person has been telling every single other person who's wondering if they should watch the season.

GOD DAMN GENIUS.

big ander

looking back it seems that even people who watched past the credits may have misunderstood the ending. I've seen people say that Gob had taken a forget-me-now and tony wonder's call reminded him of their cinco de quatro activities. the opposite happened. Tony Wonder had forgotten and Gob had not. Gob remembered their night of "normal sex" and was comfortable enough with it to not take a forget me now (he gives the last one to Michael). But Tony HAD taken a roofie and was calling because he'd forgotten the night even happened.

"It's good to be out of that sweaty, old hot box."

They can artlessly explain it away by saying she's only his half-sister (which she would be) :p

He said "we don't talk about her" in the shuttle. Later when coming out he says, "You probably think I'm terrible for even mentioning her to you." That seemed odd to me at the time, like why would that be terrible? I get that she's illegitimate but mentioning her wouldn't seem a big deal to me, and we know Howard likes to control the casting on stuff so...

Anyway, just a thought.

Because it's awkward and he's trying to get his illegitimate daughter to play Michaels wife.

I think it's a bit of a stretch but now you've got me halfway thinking there might be something to that choice of wording. This fucking show..

You'll start off feeling a mix of confusion and disappointment until episode 4.

By episode 4 you'll start getting used to the new format, the longer scenes and narration, and will start getting more invested in the mysteries of the plot.

From episodes 5 to 8 you'll realize that Hurwitz knows what he's doing and your initial disappointment will seem pre-mature and inaccurate. You start realizing that the show is still as good as it ever was. Just different.

From episodes 9 through 12 you realize that the season is actually kind of genius, and when all the pieces in the air start coming together you'll feel a mix of arousal and self-actualization. You might actually blue yourself.

By episode 13 you will stop comparing this season to the other seasons, and declare season 4 to be a genius offshoot from the original series. If someone near you says it's not as good, you will get hostile.

By the end of the series you will revert back to your consensus from episode 13, then rewatch the season immediately.

LOFLLLL

I just realized the title of an actual episode is "It Gets Better" which, among so many other references it's making, is what every single person has been telling every single other person who's wondering if they should watch the season.

GOD DAMN GENIUS.

The Episode names were genius. "Off the Hook" with Buster, "Red Hairing" with Lindsay, among others. So good. People will reflect on how great it actually was after time, even if we all are hoping they all wind up back together, which I'd bet is what's going to happen.

TUSR

Banned
The Episode names were genius. "Off the Hook" with Buster, "Red Hairing" with Lindsay, among others. So good. People will reflect on how great it actually was after time, even if we all are hoping they all wind up back together, which I'd bet is what's going to happen.

Can't wait to hear the intro to that season or movie.

I love the intro so much, teared up when I heard it on the 26th.

Enco

Just finished and the series overall was pretty good.

HOWEVER.. HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That ending was fucking horrendous. I mean wow. Easily the worst ending to anything I have ever seen.

How on earth did they think that was a good place to finish the season. What a joke.

Other than that awful ending, when you think about it, everyone on the show is a piece of shit. Plenty of funny moments though. The first few episodes weren't great but it definitely got better and I'm happy we have this season.

Lets hope we get another season.

big ander

I think Señoritis is my favorite.

Zebra

HOWEVER.. HOLY FUCKING SHIT! That ending was fucking horrendous. I mean wow. Easily the worst ending to anything I have ever seen.

How on earth did they think that was a good place to finish the season. What a joke.

To each his/her own I suppose. I thought the ending was great.

What issues did you have with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom