• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrbarr

The part where GOB and George Sr. were walking and talking at cinco de quatro, had the worst green screen. I am certain that i saw GOB's hand go through George Sr's.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I've got to say it's pretty genius of them to create a show that will require multiple rewatches to really understand the story. I wonder if that was just where they wanted to go with it, or if netflix had some input.

Clevinger

I finished the season and it got better and better. Then it just cut off as if they ran out of time.

Great great stuff with only a few problems. Can't wait for more. If there is more.

I've got to say it's pretty genius of them to create a show that will require multiple rewatches to really understand the story. I wonder if that was just where they wanted to go with it, or if netflix had some input.

By the end I understood pretty much everything. Though I'm sure it's even funnier on the second watch. Especially those first episodes.

a 72 on Metacritic?

I don't see how you could not bee happy with this season. aside from the first few episodes it felt exactly like the first 3 seasons. I guess some people had unrealistic expectations. I mean it's been 6 years off air, it's not going to identical.

If it's not identical it's not going to be as good.

Arrested Development wasn't good because of an intricate story that plays out over 15 episodes. It was great because of the fantastic dialogue, editing and character interactions. Yet over the last decade or so the show has been diluted to "that show you rewatch to catch things" by fans, which has resulted in this ridiculous season where the enjoyment is supposed to come from "catching" things rather than it just being funny. A 72 is generous.

a 72 on Metacritic?

I don't see how you could not bee happy with this season. aside from the first few episodes it felt exactly like the first 3 seasons. I guess some people had unrealistic expectations. I mean it's been 6 years off air, it's not going to identical.

Some of the reviews were by critics who DIDN'T EVEN FINISH THE SEASON.

It's absurd.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
The cheap compositing came off more as a joke than anything else. Something I wouldn't put past this show to do.

mj1108

a 72 on Metacritic?

Some "critics" watched only the first episode or the first couple episodes and then threw a review online as quickly as they could Sunday morning.

wenis

As long as they disclose how much they watched why should critics have to watch the entire season to review it?

At least in this case, there really is a payoff and overall arc that isn't fully realized until the end. By not finishing it you're just invalidating your review and leaving any true feelings you could have had with a full watch looking empty.

Also it's such a cheap ploy for internet traffic... "Hey here's a partially done review on this complex comedy series that we shoved out the door so that you'd click through our site. Come back next week when we finish it and completely override our previous review and get you to click through our site again".

Arrested Development wasn't good because of an intricate story that plays out over 15 episodes. It was great because of the fantastic dialogue, editing and character interactions. Yet over the last decade or so the show has been diluted to "that show you rewatch to catch things" by fans, which has resulted in this ridiculous season where the enjoyment is supposed to come from "catching" things rather than it just being funny. A 72 is generous.

That's a strange line of thinking. If it's not identical it's different, that doesn't mean better or worse.

You're just speaking for yourself, please don't speak for other fans. I liked the show for lots of reasons. I've found the new season to be very funny, and it has some of my favorite moments ever in the series. All those things you mention are still why I enjoy season 4, plus it has that puzzle aspect to of putting together pieces. It's an amazing thing to me.

It doesn't look HD to me when watching it via PC.

When I watched, it didn't even have the HD icon to let you know if you were viewing it in HD or not. I'm guessing they didn't put the HD episodes up on pc yet?

All those things (minus editing--some scenes were clearly just too long) are still in season 4. What are you talking about.

dk_

When I watched, it didn't even have the HD icon to let you know if you were viewing it in HD or not. I'm guessing they didn't put the HD episodes up on pc yet?

All those things (minus editing--some scenes were clearly just too long) are still in season 4. What are you talking about.

Yes, no HD logo for me, too.

Henry winklers scene with the family after Lucielle pilots the Queen Mary back to shore and is arrested looked like a green screen to me. He's wearing some kind of sailor costume.

Slacker

I completely missed this nugget: The Howard kids are all named after where they were conceived, and Rebel's kid is named LEM.

OnPoint

On the positive side: I loved Meaby's episode. It's easily my favorite episode of the bunch, which really surprised me. George Michael's episodes were really good too. Watching that story unravel and having some scenes that can be interpreted in three different ways depending on the information you have was mindblowing. Just so many good moments in his episodes - his Spanish adventures, his almost-chicken dance, the fact that he doesn't know Lucille 2, his entire Facebook story, the FakeBlock party and the reveal why everyone was actually happy to have him there later... Man, so good. Maybe it's because it's easier to accept that the actors have changed with the kids, but their episodes worked far better for me than any of the others. The other episodes are growing on me too - they're definitely funnier if you know what happens later on. This entire thing wasn't 100% succesful, but it wasn't a failed experiment either. It took serious balls to make an experimental piece like this, build on a show that's so beloved/overquoted/overanalyzed. I hope they make more experimenal tv like this in the future. I don't really care if it's Arrested Development or not though.

Hm?

That's a strange line of thinking. If it's not identical it's different, that doesn't mean better or worse.

You're just speaking for yourself, please don't speak for other fans. I liked the show for lots of reasons. I've found the new season to be very funny, and it has some of my favorite moments ever in the series. All those things you mention are still why I enjoy season 4, plus it has that puzzle aspect to of putting together pieces. It's an amazing thing to me.

I'm not speaking for every fan. But discrediting critics because they're not positive is implying a real fan would love this season.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Why are people hung up on the green screen stuff? The original series had a big reliance on poorly done, blindingly obvious ADR.

wenis

George does say to Oscar at one point, "Sit over here, I don't want it to look bad."

I noticed that as well
KuGsj.gif

that's what made me bank on that idea in the first place.

Polari

Ah, mixed feelings on the whole. Moments of brilliance, but the actual storyline and the way it was all plotted out was very poor. I enjoyed it because I love the characters, but the whole thing felt a little soulless when compared to the original. Some great jokes though, particularly loved the roofie circle.

Boem

The first time you see it, the show makes you think it's still just a parody of the Facebook-movie, with George Michael as the cool guy and a group of employees insanely happy to be near him. Later you learn that George Michael is living in Sudden Valley at that point, among a collection of sex offenders. And the show keeps making references to the fact that George Michael still looks 16... Gives a whole new meaning to the shirtless basketball-game.

Loved it when that penny dropped.

Didn't see this posted, but EW posted this up at 11A EST:

Entertainment Weekly said:
The Bluth family may be back for another ride in the stair car.

Netflix CEO Reed Hastings told CNBC this morning that the company would be interested in commissioning more episodes of Arrested Development if the talent was willing. Hastings stressed that commissioning more Arrested really came down to cast availability — a problem that held up the fourth season of the cult favorite as well. If the cast is able to get together again, it’ll be interesting to see what form the next chapter of Arrested takes, as the fourth season of the show seemed to set up a long-rumored movie (as opposed to more episodic television).

Hastings declined to release the exact numbers of how many people have streamed the show since its debut Sunday, simply saying, “It’s been huge, just as we had hoped.” He elaborated that they aren’t yet releasing numbers because “Netflix is about being able to watch when you want … So we’re really not focused on the day-one ratings, it’s really over the first year.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/05/30/netflix-wants-more-arrested-development/

OnPoint

The first time you see it, the show makes you think it's still just a parody of the Facebook-movie, with George Michael as the cool guy and a group of employees insanely happy to be near him. Later you learn that George Michael is living in Sudden Valley at that point, among a collection of sex offenders. And the show keeps making references to the fact that George Michael still looks 16... Gives a whole new meaning to the shirtless basketball-game.

Loved it when that penny dropped.

Oh I see what you meant now. Yeah, it was a pretty awesome twist on that.

Kevtones

The more I watch, the more I like it.

AD was always a 'pace' show. It's very quick, and first watches are generally the least rewarding until you get into AD mode. There's definitely a few more misses in these episodes than we're used to, but there's some pretty nifty stuff going on.

Iksenpets

Banned
The scene in the apartment where all the family is together is pretty bad too. Not as bad as that scene though. The Barry scene is TERRIBLE. Looks like a joke.

I'm pretty sure they said in interviews that the apartment scene was the one scene they were actually all together for.

Yesssssssss. Make it happy Hurwitz.

I know the finale made it seem like a movie was the next step but fuck that. Give me 15 more episodes. With the streaming success maybe they can entice the cast to flex their schedules more to film the next season together. Either way I'd much rather have 8 hours worth of AD than a measly 2.

In episode 1 when they do the bit with the vulture and the empty houses, a version of 'It's Funny To Everyone But Me' kicks in and reminds me a bit of Fallout 3 type music.

Whether that's the reference, I'm not sure, maybe just the title itself is the joke, just felt like Fallout to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom