• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacophony

it's funny how many things I missed because I just zoned out for a few seconds on the first watch, you really have to pay attention at all times

like everyone singing Happy Birthday to george michael at his college party

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Portia De Rossi looks completely fucked. The Snail looks surprisingly good.

I think she looked better as the season went on. In her first appearance she's had some terrible filler injected and looks like a mannequin, later episodes she looks more normal, just 7 years older.

Buster's giant hand is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

The most obvious is in Lindsay's second episode at the Eeling club (connection with LucEEL, or perhaps the fake eel that swam by buster?) when Michael says he has a script meeting with Warden Gentles.

AD has always had terrible looping, they even laugh about it on the DVD commentaries.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Lucille using the words to Getaway to put down Buster is amazing.

I do wonder whether parts of the Buster episode were filmed alongside Veep - Senator Doyle, Zach Woods and Tony Hale are in both.

Also, is that nurse supposed to look like the old Australian nurse?

EDIT: Just noticed the female sex offender at Sudden Valley :D

Also, this guy lurking in the background of the 'tops vs. bottoms' game is hilarious: http://s21.postimg.org/3o3s4p3nr/Screen_Shot_2013_06_01_at_12_31_43.png

EDIT 2: Looks like Ted from the Bluth Company?

deleted

Was the "hey, listen, hey, hey, listen" in one of the first three episodes (don't remember which one) a nod to Zelda:OoT?

Iksenpets

Banned
Lol where I come from that's kind of harsh criticism

Edit: Question:

When GOB roofies Michael he says something like "It's so easy to forget" in a sing-song voice. Does anybody know if that is a real song or if he's just being a goob?

It sounded really similar to his old "It's not easy being white" song to me.

Divius

0RMQ2Ig.jpg

Should I quote this? Probably not.

8byte

Banned
Their trial ran out during Buster's episode and the screen froze.

Anyway, I just finished the whole thing and I'm not too positive on it. The lack of the gathered ensemble really hurt the show. The need for the the narrator to talk so much was grating. I also feel some of the show's subtlety was lost with things like GOBs Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh scene, continuously calling Ann different Ann-isms, and the need for these continuous cameos and callbacks that really didn't push the story forward. Hey look it's Bob Loblaw! Ok, now what? Now he said "Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!" You know, like the original series, remember?

Part of the charm of the original series was the gradual building of the reveal, but this one felt like they were forcing it the entire time, especially with the narrator giving too strong of a play by play.

There were great, great jokes, but there were also times when I was looking at how much time was left in the particular episode. Part of the joy of AD is watching it again, but as of now it would be exhausting.

I don't want to be so negative so I'll leave it at this: it felt like Star Wars: the Phantom Menace in comparison to the original trilogy.

Way off base.

The entire series feels like a catch up, and then a set up. They basically spend it setting up new character arcs and development, priming for a new season, which I'm pretty confident will happen. Most of the case was extremely happy to do this, and I can't see them refusing to do another season, especially since a new season would be on more solid ground with better funding (hopefully allowing more of the cast to free up time for those ensemble appearances).

deleted

Way off base.

The entire series feels like a catch up, and then a set up. They basically spend it setting up new character arcs and development, priming for a new season, which I'm pretty confident will happen. Most of the case was extremely happy to do this, and I can't see them refusing to do another season, especially since a new season would be on more solid ground with better funding (hopefully allowing more of the cast to free up time for those ensemble appearances).

Yep, I felt so too. It feels clear, that they will continue with this somehow and have already an arc figured out.

Ushojax

Yep, I felt so too. It feels clear, that they will continue with this somehow and have already an arc figured out.

Absolutely. They would never have ended it the way they did if they weren't sure where they were going. There is so much still to be resolved and we have to see the family get back together.

I just hope that the mixed reaction to the season doesn't screw anything up. I think it gets so much better the second time around and the people at Netflix must have been prepared for a slight backlash given the format (which I don't think would work in a season 5). In a few months once it's all sunk in everyone will be begging for more. They ended it in the perfect way IMO. I wanted more as soon as the credits rolled on episode 13.

Absolutely. They would never have ended it the way they did if they weren't sure where they were going. There is so much still to be resolved and we have to see the family get back together.

I just hope that the mixed reaction to the season doesn't screw anything up. I think it gets so much better the second time around and the people at Netflix must have been prepared for a slight backlash given the format (which I don't think would work in a season 5). In a few months once it's all sunk in everyone will be begging for more. They ended it in the perfect way IMO. I wanted more as soon as the credits rolled on episode 13.

I think they would only revisit this format if there was a long multi-year gap again. What they should do is start negotiating the continuation right now. If it's a movie, so be it, but get on it now. I could see them doing a shorter season 5 (6 episodes or so) but formatted like the first 3 seasons. I can't imagine them producing a 15 episode season like seasons 1-3 ever again. Whatever they do they need to lock down a schedule for shooting now.

deleted

IMO a lot of the critics may have experienced the first three seasons in a radically different way than the 4th. Many first looked at the lists of jokes and insane gags over multiple season after everything was already over and done and actually watched the series after that. So they knew the gags and could look out for them while discovering other jokes. They also got the full package with a storyline that went full cycle.

Right now there are many gags left to discover and the storyline is not finished. When the lists start appearing again and we know how the series will be finished, the perception will change again.

Ushojax

Hurwitz teased us big time with this season, but in a good way. I was just so happy to have it back, I even forgive him for dangling George Michael's chicken dance in front of us before yanking it away at the last second.

Sullichin

Why does Sally Sitwell care that Tony Wonder is going to sabotage Gob? Something to do with Lucille 2?

Destroy my life with GOB.

King326

Really liked the running gag in Season 4... Gangie 4: Facelift. For a few episodes I thought it was for an actual facelift.

Murrah

Banned
Finished watching last night. I'd be lying if I said the first chunk of episodes wasn't rough, and I'm still disappointed with a lot of it (yeah I'll do a rewatch eventually), but when this season was firing on all cylinders its best moments were right up there with the first three seasons, particularly Gob and Buster's stuff. Hell, the Sound of Silence repeated gag might have been the hardest I've ever laughed at the show

It's not exactly what I wanted out of the show, and while the format is really clever I feel like this wasn't the best show to do it with, though I do understand the necessity. But I still had a lot of fun once I got past the first few episodes, so even if it didn't feel exactly the same I guess I can't complain. Though I do hope that whatever's next for AD they get to have all the Bluths together again

strobogo

Banned
There has to be scenes of Gob staring off into space in the first 3 seasons. I'd like to think he was hearing The Sound of Silence in them.

SkyandSun

Banned
So what was the deal with the 'casting issues'?

Was it that this was filmed on a low budget and the actors were not prepared to give up more time for the pay?

I mean, if they wanted to do it badly enough, they could have done so, right?

I also noticed in Lindsay's 1st episode, at the penthouse, if you pause at the right time, you can see a bit of george michael's hair between Pop-pop and Gangie.

I just finished watching "A New Attitude." THIS is what I was hoping for all along. Great episode with hilarious jokes.

Tony: "Heeeey....you!"
Ann: "It's Ann. Awfully funny time to run into you.
Tony: "Yes, it is an awfully funny time to see you...you."

That part killed me.

Otheradam

I think a lot of people with negative reactions to the first few episodes is natural because of the way this series is. It's a show you have to watch multiple times to get all the jokes. The first time through, a lot goes over your head. Like the first 3 seasons, I bet the tune will change when people get a few rewatches in and find/realize the jokes with the context of having watched it before.

Do they ever explain the film crew that's in Maeby's classroom? There's also one behind Michael and George Michael when they're walking around on campus in the first episode.
Actually, is there a list anywhere of all of the things that aren't answered?

8byte

Banned
Finished watching last night. I'd be lying if I said the first chunk of episodes wasn't rough, and I'm still disappointed with a lot of it (yeah I'll do a rewatch eventually), but when this season was firing on all cylinders its best moments were right up there with the first three seasons, particularly Gob and Buster's stuff. Hell, the Sound of Silence repeated gag might have been the hardest I've ever laughed at the show

It's not exactly what I wanted out of the show, and while the format is really clever I feel like this wasn't the best show to do it with, though I do understand the necessity. But I still had a lot of fun once I got past the first few episodes, so even if it didn't feel exactly the same I guess I can't complain. Though I do hope that whatever's next for AD they get to have all the Bluths together again

The quality of the early episodes increases as you rewatch them with more context. Trust me.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Do they ever explain the film crew that's in Maeby's classroom? There's also one behind Michael and George Michael when they're walking around on campus in the first episode.
Actually, is there a list anywhere of all of the things that aren't answered?
It was for 'Babies having Babies', they were shooting a pregnant girl. Tobias mentioned the show in the same episode

"Footage owned by Ron Howard or Netflix or whatever" made me lol.

That made me laugh, Top comment is great. "I really want to hear a full Mariachi version of Sound of Silence now." Hell yeah.

Also, the 8 minute long cut had the proper credits and everything to Fox, and they didn't care and took it down anyway, so we'll see.

Frost_Ace

Last episode was disappointing, was expecting some classic AD-style mayhem to happen but they just didn't deliver :(

Hope that season 5 happens and we actually get the actors together this time.

ivysaur12

Banned
I just finished watching "A New Attitude." THIS is what I was hoping for all along. Great episode with hilarious jokes.

Tony: "Heeeey....you!"
Ann: "It's Ann. Awfully funny time to run into you.
Tony: "Yes, it is an awfully funny time to see you...you."

That part killed me.

I just finished this episode. It was amazing and everything I had hoped for.

strobogo

Banned
I think the one after accidentally proposing to Egg is the best. The falling like Jesus, the great composition, the shot of the eggs. The best.

Anyway, I just finished the whole thing and I'm not too positive on it. The lack of the gathered ensemble really hurt the show. The need for the the narrator to talk so much was grating. I also feel some of the show's subtlety was lost with things like GOBs Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh scene, continuously calling Ann different Ann-isms, and the need for these continuous cameos and callbacks that really didn't push the story forward. Hey look it's Bob Loblaw! Ok, now what? Now he said "Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!" You know, like the original series, remember?

Part of the charm of the original series was the gradual building of the reveal, but this one felt like they were forcing it the entire time, especially with the narrator giving too strong of a play by play.
See, this is what we were talking about several pages ago. If this season had aired right after Season 3 your complaints would not exist, because that is how the show has always been built. There would still be Bob Lawbla, I Blue Myself, sad Peanuts music, there is absolutely no reason for them to NOT continue using those jokes in Season 4. But it's been such a long time, that people just chalk it up to worthless callbacks and appealing to nostalgia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom