• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrested Development |OT| Season 4 - May 26 - Netflix Unmakes A Huge Mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaladin

I was really surprised by Maeby's episode. She was always the least developed of the main cast, but she ended up with the best single-episode arc of the bunch. The series of events leading to her becoming a convicted statutory rapist was pretty amazing.

I think part of the appeal of Maeby's episode is that it had a lot of "Oh, that's what happened" moments.

Bear

I was really surprised by Maeby's episode. She was always the least developed of the main cast, but she ended up with the best single-episode arc of the bunch. The series of events leading to her becoming a convicted statutory rapist was pretty amazing.

I liked how nicely it fit in with the other episodes as well, her episode is like a puzzle piece that bridges several stories together. I think her episode is the best showcase for the new format. I also loved the little touches like her screams being heard off-screen in previous episodes.

The sex offender twist was hilarious after the whole Tobias story.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just watched GOBs and Maeby's episodes

Holy fucking shit

back to back amazingness

like seriously, two of the all time greatest AD episodes

:bow

jtb

Banned
I didn't like Maeby's episode.

GOB/Tony Wonder episode is up there with the best of anything AD though.

Robot Pants

I feel like there is a lot more to Dr Norman than meets the eye. The whole scene where he's using his "thinking cap" with the horse is really odd.
Also apparently he's China Garden's husband, who China says is "very powerful" to Lucielle while they were in jail.
Also how did China get locked up?

Edit: oh nm. It was only Olive Garden that was in jail and she had the powerful husband. Disregard.

AlexMogil

"Showstealer Pro Trial Version"
so good

Their trial ran out during Buster's episode and the screen froze.

Anyway, I just finished the whole thing and I'm not too positive on it. The lack of the gathered ensemble really hurt the show. The need for the the narrator to talk so much was grating. I also feel some of the show's subtlety was lost with things like GOBs Sh-Sh-Sh-Sh scene, continuously calling Ann different Ann-isms, and the need for these continuous cameos and callbacks that really didn't push the story forward. Hey look it's Bob Loblaw! Ok, now what? Now he said "Bob Loblaw Law Bomb!" You know, like the original series, remember?

Part of the charm of the original series was the gradual building of the reveal, but this one felt like they were forcing it the entire time, especially with the narrator giving too strong of a play by play.

There were great, great jokes, but there were also times when I was looking at how much time was left in the particular episode. Part of the joy of AD is watching it again, but as of now it would be exhausting.

I don't want to be so negative so I'll leave it at this: it felt like Star Wars: the Phantom Menace in comparison to the original trilogy.

Lijik

Small timeline connection I made just now. Haven't seen the last episode, so it might become obvious (if it wasn't already).

We see Barry Zuckerkorn outside (being defended by Bob Loblaw), explaining how he couldn't open a gate because he's too short to reach the knob on the other side. Many episodes later, we see Maeby run into Barry near the same gate. He's holding a step stool.
I think at another point we see him testing out the stool.

In the second George Sr episode, you see him buying the stepstool.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Man, I found this Season to be pretty great, but the last episode was kind of...disappointing? Not that funny (bar the Sudden Valley stuff), lots of unanswered questions, and focusing on a character I don't really enjoy. Michael Cera seems...too Michael Cera now, and his humor's just so different from the other characters'.

So, what's our theory on who's in the Thing costume for the Fantastic Four musical float? I think that might be a big clue as to what's ahead...

I don't know if I'm messing up chronology, but doesn't the Thing end up falling into the water at the end of the play? As in falling like Lucille 2 who went missing right before then?

I don't know if I'm messing up chronology, but doesn't the Thing end up falling into the water at the end of the play? As in falling like Lucille 2 who went missing right before then?

I just pulled up the episode, and it looks like a man in the suit for sure. Also, the Thing does not fall into the water. I'm wondering if it isn't Tony Wonder before he heads to see Gob at the Model House.

Salsa

so yeah i've watched all of it except the last episode and it's been 2 days without watching it now

I dont want it to end

it's like im waiting for a perfect situation

jtb

Banned
Man, I found this Season to be pretty great, but the last episode was kind of...disappointing? Not that funny (bar the Sudden Valley stuff), lots of unanswered questions, and focusing on a character I don't really enjoy. Michael Cera seems...too Michael Cera now, and his humor's just so different from the other characters'.

I'd go a step further and just say fucking write George Michael off the show. I really didn't like Michael Cera this season and I don't know how much of that is due to him, his performance, his general schtick, and the writing, but... I'm not a fan.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just pulled up the episode, and it looks like a man in the suit for sure. Also, the Thing does not fall into the water. I'm wondering if it isn't Tony Wonder before he heads to see Gob at the Model House.

Oh yeah, it was the Human Torch played by the Richter Brother.

I don't hate Michael Cera, but I just think his subplot was a bit boring. Romantic subplot that's been done already in Arrested Development multiple times, kind of funny Internet scheme, he loves his cousin, etc.

I found that the best subplot was definitely the Fantastic Four musical. And my favorite, favorite call-back this season was how they incorporated the "Mr F!" sound bite into that, I saw it coming miles away, yet when it happened, I laughed hard.

so yeah i've watched all of it except the last episode and it's been 2 days without watching it now

I dont want it to end

it's like im waiting for a perfect situation

You can watch the final episode, just don't watch what's after the credits so you have something to hold on to. ;)

oatmeal

Banned
One thing I've noticed and that compilation really makes apparent is the uneven color correction. A ton of scenes jump around in color temperatures. It's sometimes quite jarring. I wonder if they delivered it so late that they couldn't time it properly, would also explain the uneven sound mix.

Dead

well not really...yet
dont remember any as bad as the few ive noticed in this season, but I guess its just my memory failing me...

Just finished it. Still feels surreal to me, but I fucking loved it.

Season 4 started a bit slow, but now I'm really looking forward to going back to those early episodes. There needs to be more.

Now.

oatmeal

Banned
there are a couple of REALLY obvious adr bits here and there...
The most obvious is in Lindsay's second episode at the Eeling club (connection with LucEEL, or perhaps the fake eel that swam by buster?) when Michael says he has a script meeting with Warden Gentles.

Just finished it. Still feels surreal to me, but I fucking loved it.

Season 4 started a bit slow, but now I'm really looking forward to going back to those early episodes. There needs to be more.

Now.

Yep I'm rewatching the whole show now, probably my 4th time going through, and still picking up new things. I don't think it'll ever get old.

What were your favorite episodes of Season 4?
No Franklin was a bummer :(

I know this was mentioned many pages back, but it deserves mentioning again as it's one of the best hidden jokes of the season.

-George Michael mentions not wanting to be called "George Michael" or "Boy George" because of the singer George Michael's bathroom sex arrest and Boy George's arrest for sexual assault. The name he chooses instead is George Maharis, a popular actor from the '60s and '70s who, unbeknownst to him, was also arrested for committing a sex act in a men's room. The man who was arrested with Maharis was named "Perfecto Tellis." Tellis is revealed to be the last name of Maeby's boyfriend/Lucille 2's adopted kid Perfecto in the episode "Off the Hook."

Thezez

Banned
So I'm probably late on this, but couldn't see it on a search, anyone else notice this?

VZ36Jo1.png

Rich Aliaandaost - Aliaandanost Rich - Alia and an Ostrich

Mr. F

Banned
2 episodes left, really looking forward to the end. It's been fun having the crossover parts filled in as the story goes on. Best episode so far I think was GOB's second, he and Tony Wonder's bit at the end was probably the hardest I've laughed at any AD scene ever.

"the same"

"the same"

One thing I've noticed and that compilation really makes apparent is the uneven color correction. A ton of scenes jump around in color temperatures. It's sometimes quite jarring. I wonder if they delivered it so late that they couldn't time it properly, would also explain the uneven sound mix.

The sound is atrocious at parts. Way too much going on, missing jokes all the time because of it. Hoping they go back and fix it because some parts of some episodes are brutal.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I don't want to be so negative so I'll leave it at this: it felt like Star Wars: the Phantom Menace in comparison to the original trilogy.

Lucille Bluth to Lindsay said:
I don't want to be so negative so I'll leave it at this: you look like George Lucas when he made Star Wars: the Phantom Menace in comparison to what he looked like when he made the original Star Wars.

Lol where I come from that's kind of harsh criticism

Edit: Question:

When GOB roofies Michael he says something like "It's so easy to forget" in a sing-song voice. Does anybody know if that is a real song or if he's just being a goob?

deleted

Ok, was is the ostrich standing for? It's in so many episodes.

Is it just the 'I don't care for ostriches' of season 1?

Lijik

This was probably really obvious to everyone else but I was drifting off to sleep and suddenly realized that at CW Swappigans Lindsay and Tobias swap partners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom