• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

I'm like 10 episodes behind, but as I understand it, Dolph is barely in the show? What gives? I thought he was going to the main draw of the season, instead we got yet another Archer dressed like Dark Oliver.
As it turns out, Prometheus is the bigger draw this season. But yeah, we barely see Ivan Drago.

Joni

I'm like 10 episodes behind, but as I understand it, Dolph is barely in the show? What gives? I thought he was going to the main draw of the season, instead we got yet another Archer dressed like Dark Oliver.
He was supposed to do a very short stint as he is still a very active movie actor. It was so fun we get a bit more then they planned initially.

This section from the AVClub review really explains why I loved this episode so much:

The basic point is that “Kapiushon” represents a logical endpoint for all the stories Arrow has told up to this point: the season-long battle between the Green Arrow and Prometheus, the concurrent exploration of Oliver’s time in Russia, the five-year evolution from the Hood to the Green Arrow, and the gradual transformation of Oliver Queen during his missing years. The climactic battle with Kovar plays as a rousing last hurrah for the flashback sequences—after all, this is said to be the last season to feature them—and Chase forces a much-needed truth out of Oliver by getting him to admit he enjoys killing people. We see that fact on display tonight, in grim, sometimes over-the-top detail. But just as important is how Oliver responds at episode’s end. In the face of what he has learned about himself, Oliver is prepared to quit. He has grown, even if Prometheus doesn’t care. Oliver is a better person. As much as everything we saw in the past showed Oliver at his worst, much of what we see tonight in how he resists Chase shows him at his best. All that leaves is the question of how to reconcile the two sides of him. The Oliver of five years ago actively refused to try. Maybe today’s Oliver can do better.

Last Night's episode was fantastic. This is the best season since Season Two. I wish Prometheus's costume was better but whatever it's TV DC Comic show.

Hmm, so Prometheus is the big bad? The shooting star killer yeah?

Guess I should catch up as soon as then, still have a lot of Flash to get through too. Dropped Supergirl the moment they announced that racist cuntwaffle Sorbo was up for a role.

ZeroX03

Banned

Guess I should catch up as soon as then, still have a lot of Flash to get through too. Dropped Supergirl the moment they announced that racist cuntwaffle Sorbo was up for a role.

Yes, Prometheus is the big bad. Stay out of this thread, go catch up! Don't get spoiled.

And if you think Supergirl is supporting racism, well that's kind of the reverse of the season's theme. Especially funny considering who Sorbo is playing.

Joni

Sorbo plays a huge asshole.

I'm out, sounds like some good shit in Arrow this season, about damn time after the last couple of seasons.

And I don't think SG is supporting racism so much as giving a role to a racist cunt, just rubbed me the wrong way. I'll reconsider and give it a shot should the response be good.

Joni

I'm out, sounds like some good shit in Arrow this season, about damn time after the last couple of seasons.

And I don't think SG is supporting racism so much as giving a role to a racist cunt, just rubbed me the wrong way. I'll reconsider and give it a shot should the response be good.
But the fun thing is they have him play a racist cunt. Probably not in purpose but it's a funny match.

WedgeX

Banned
Just caught up from last night.

Shiiiiiiiiit

Canary III is the worst.

Diggle's going to need another half season to talk Oliver back into hero-ness.

jrush64

Banned
That was a killer episode. So freaking good. I knew Artemis was faking it, lol.

The contrast between the light tone of The Flash and dark tone of Arrow was so evident in these weeks two episodes. Very good week for both DCTV shows.

WedgeX

Banned
It occurs to me that Barry was learning about the power of love while Ollie got tortured.

Not exactly tied up with a big bad this time.

Nabs

It occurs to me that Barry was learning about the power of love while Ollie got tortured.

Not exactly tied up with a big bad this time.

>

giphy.gif

Finally that awful tattoo is gone. Of course removal by charbroil isn't my first choice, but I'll take it.

P.S. Stephen Amell's chest game is on point.

WedgeX

Banned
This week's episode has me drawing some parallels to Justified's final season.

Both Raylan and Ollie doing the right thing for the wrong reasons. Both killing their way throughout seasons essentially because they like it. But both also ultimately on the side of good. Unlike Adrian and Boyd who are willing to kill anyone, even their spouses, to get their own ends. Only, Ollie took the step of killing when he didn't have to long before season 1 actually started. And I wonder what the writer's will tell us about who Ollie is, at core, with how they handle the rest of the season. Specifically, the same choice that Raylan face as the AV Club put so succinctly:

"Boyd providing Raylan with justification to shoot wouldn’t tell us anything about Boyd that we don’t already know, and such an action would forever obscure the one thing we really need to know about Raylan. As soon as Boyd makes it clear that he won’t pull first, that he absolutely still poses a threat to Ava but not an immediate one, Raylan must make his choice."

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Evelyn is going to take a bullet from Wild Dog. Wild Dog is best recruit. Never betrayed. Never gave up the good fight.
Okay Curtis too but nobody cared who he was until he pulled out the T-Spheres

And yes Oliver will suit up after an episode. We all know how this cycle goes. Them repeating plot lines is going to happen on a show thing long. To me it doesn't matter this time because they absolutely earned it. Chase broke him.

You know that's right, Hoss.

LionPride

Banned
I hope everyone in this thread is dropping by that Arrow thread and letting everyone know it isn't BS and Arrow has really returned.

It didn't return from anything though, Season 3 was meh, made Felicity a bad character for the sake of relationship drama, something every DCTV show has going on right now on CW, had to set up Legends of Tomorrow for half of its season, the same thing that fucked over The Flash Season 2, and had Ra's not be a real threat post killing Oliver.

Season 4 is Season 2, without Manu Bennett and a tiny bit of lesser quality. Dahrk is actually a better villain than Slade to me, but the season didn't work enough with him to take advantage of Neal's acting or ability to make him scary. Season 4 is good minus a few bumps such as Laurel giving Olicty the rub while dying. But again, bullshit writing for character drama with main pairing. Flash has this problem, Supergirl has it, Legends kinda has it.

Season 5 has just been great, it has followed from Season 4 significantly better than I expected with me caring for every character again except Diggle and that's because he ain't doin shit. Introduced Ragman, Wild Dog, and gave Curtis a lot more depth. Forgot all about Artemis till she came back but she came back with a fury. Chase has been great.

But the season hasn't returned from anything.

It didn't return from anything though, Season 3 was meh, made Felicity a bad character for the sake of relationship drama, something every DCTV show has going on right now on CW, had to set up Legends of Tomorrow for half of its season, the same thing that fucked over The Flash Season 2, and had Ra's not be a real threat post killing Oliver.

Season 4 is Season 2, without Manu Bennett and a tiny bit of lesser quality. Dahrk is actually a better villain than Slade to me, but the season didn't work enough with him to take advantage of Neal's acting or ability to make him scary. Season 4 is good minus a few bumps such as Laurel giving Olicty the rub while dying. But again, bullshit writing for character drama with main pairing. Flash has this problem, Supergirl has it, Legends kinda has it.

Season 5 has just been great, it has followed from Season 4 significantly better than I expected with me caring for every character again except Diggle and that's because he ain't doin shit. Introduced Ragman, Wild Dog, and gave Curtis a lot more depth. Forgot all about Artemis till she came back but she came back with a fury. Chase has been great.

But the season hasn't returned from anything.

You can keep saying this all you want but that doesn't change the fact that season 4 didn't work no where near as well as 2

GulAtiCa

Yeah, even though I somewhat liked season 4 (Killing Laurel, stupid Felicity stuff and such were huge misses, and even ending wasn't that special (ok, just nothing out of ordinary)), I wouldn't even consider it near season 2.

Outside of 5, I prob rate the 4 seasons as thus: 2 > 1 >> 4 >>>> 3

Joni

You know what I really like about this season, the Anatoly - Oliver friendship. It is nice how they are evolving.

LionPride

Banned
You can keep saying this all you want but that doesn't change the fact that season 4 didn't work no where near as well as 2

So you just gonna ignore the rest of the statement then?

I'm just annoyed seeing people say Arrow is back. It ain't back form anything, the quality of Season 3 was a huge outlier as we can see.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You know what I really like about this season, the Anatoly - Oliver friendship. It is nice how they are evolving.

Yeah, that beat has actually been working for me. Their relationship (and Oliver being a Bratva captain) makes a little more sense now.

The flashbacks being halfway decent is a huge plus for this show.

So you just gonna ignore the rest of the statement then?

I'm just annoyed seeing people say Arrow is back. It ain't back form anything, the quality of Season 3 was a huge outlier as we can see.

I don't agree with the rest rest of the statement I found 4 to be really poor, Dahrk was wasted imo

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
So, like, Prometheus cut Tobias Church's neck the same way Oliver did Kovar, right? Poetry, right?

Top Bottom