• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Sir Doom

Wow this episode.
Ollie only episode really makes this great. Kind of reminds me of Batman comics. And the flashbacks finally meaning something.

Why CW Arrow fans hate Felicity Smoak

Pretty good video analysis about Felicity´s character.

I found this on reddit and this is what i posted

I don´t hate Felicity when she is cracking codes and making fun. I hate Olicity because the writers don´t know how to write romance or the drama that comes with it. Also Felicity in romance with Oliver, she was totally serious and very unfun character all around. In this season she has been good, as long as she is not with Oliver then all is good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I don´t hate Felicity when she is cracking codes and making fun. I hate Olicity because the writers don´t know how to write romance or the drama that comes with it. Also Felicity in romance with Oliver, she was totally serious and very unfun character all around. In this season she has been good, as long as she is not with Oliver then all is good.

I actually disagree with this video completely. Season 1 and 2 Felicity isn't a fleshed out character at all. She's Ms Moneypenny to Oliver's James Bond. The dynamic is cute and fun when it's playful banter, you take all the wind out of its sails if they go beyond that. Laurel was the rightful CW Love Interest Queen. We all know this.

Season 3 and beyond is when they started trying to expand her character. We get her Secret Origin episode (still my least favorite) and her romance with Ray. Is she less "fun" here? Probably but her character became less servile at this point. And being secretive and manipulative as a negative on her character? She's the Pope in a Pencil Skirt compared to Oliver.

I don't know, I really like where she's gone in Season 5. She still makes jokes but she had a relationship outside of Oliver. And she's been incredibly reasonable about everything. Telling Ragman the truth was probably the right move, better than him finding out elsewhere. And her Helix plotline is addressing an ethical question that the show has glossed over for years. Everything Felicity has done up until this point has been highly illegal, so at what point does that go too far?

MartyStu

I actually disagree with this video completely. Season 1 and 2 Felicity isn't a fleshed out character at all. She's Ms Moneypenny to Oliver's James Bond. The dynamic is cute and fun when it's playful banter, you take all the wind out of its sails if they go beyond that. Laurel was the rightful CW Love Interest Queen. We all know this.

Season 3 and beyond is when they started trying to expand her character. We get her Secret Origin episode (still my least favorite) and her romance with Ray. Is she less "fun" here? Probably but her character became less servile at this point. And being secretive and manipulative as a negative on her character? She's the Pope in a Pencil Skirt compared to Oliver.

I don't know, I really like where she's gone in Season 5. She still makes jokes but she had a relationship outside of Oliver. And she's been incredibly reasonable about everything. Telling Ragman the truth was probably the right move, better than him finding out elsewhere. And her Helix plotline is addressing an ethical question that the show has glossed over for years. Everything Felicity has done up until this point has been highly illegal, so at what point does that go too far?

Pretty much. Her plot this season is very similar to Oliver's for the past few seasons: finding the line.

I have always liked Felicity, so I am very happy to see the writers get a better handle of her this season.

Why am I not surprised this video was posted there?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Pro-Felicity and Anti-Felicity Arrow fans are damn near tied in how much of their shit I care to hear about.

I don't care about Felicity. The show has done a good job this season of making her a smaller part of the plot this time. One of a few reasons why this whole season has been such a breeze so far.

They've really handled Felicity well this season. She felt like another part of the team, instead of the plot tumor she developed into in 3 and 4. Had her own plotlines that were well executed and didn't diminish from the rest of the show, while being much more filled out (so to speak) than the fanservice machine she was in 1 and 2.

Zen Aku

Ah yes
Who needs characters when you can just use her for pure sex appeal
I mean.. Arrow has a ton of sex appeal. Have you seen Oliver? Diggle? Roy? Basically everyone on that show under the age of 30 is either a model or incredibly good looking.

My bad for appreciating Felicity in a dress.

Magwik

Banned
I mean.. Arrow has a ton of sex appeal. Have you seen Oliver? Diggle? Roy? Basically everyone on that show under the age of 30 is either a model or incredibly good looking.

My bad for appreciating Felicity in a dress.
I know that, it's the fucking CW after all. But your post came off as "I only liked her when she wore a skimpy dress"

Zen Aku

I know that, it's the fucking CW after all. But your post came off as "I only liked her when she wore a skimpy dress"
I know, but I don't. I don't have that much of a problem with her as many people do on here. I understand that her melodrama in S4 was way too over the top but I've seen worst characters on other shows. I just wanted to take a moment to appreciate Felicity looking her best.

LionPride

Banned
The issue Felicity had is the same issue most women/Mon-El have with the shows, once they become a love interest, their character becomes the drizzling shits

MartyStu

The issue Felicity had is the same issue most women/Mon-El have with the shows, once they become a love interest, their character becomes the drizzling shits

True.

Sara managed to escape that fate though. But Sara is superior to other love interests in almost every way.

LionPride

Banned
True.

Sara managed to escape that fate though. But Sara is superior to other love interests in almost every way.
Caity Lotz may not be able to act, like at all, but her character was better than Laurel's for a bit.

But for some reason, Amaya, Ray, Iris, Laurel, Mon-El, Felicity, when the writers need to write a love interest for their main characters, they write them terribly to create drama.

Zen Aku

I stopped watching Supergirl after the Invasion arc. Is that what happened to Mon-el?

Ew... I think that's why Supergirl is on the bottom of all these shows for me. Its just too upbeat most of the time and they kinda ruined Jimmy Olsen.

Joni

Its just too upbeat most of the time and they kinda ruined Jimmy Olsen.

They are really doing their best to improve him in these last couple of episodes.
I mainly liked those episodes that wrote him out completely, and the one where he has like one fight scene and that is it.

LotusHD

Banned
Making them idiot jobbers, I don't think I agree.

I guess? I just liked the character, and her being part of an ensemble (and now leader) means I get to see more of her as opposed to her role when she was still on Arrow.

Also part of the fun of the show is the occasional snark at the team being a bunch of idiots, so yea. :p

I've said this again and again and again.

Laurel was annoying as hell when she was the main love interest. Dinah will be the same if they ever trend in that direction. They can't just write a solid couple that's as fun as them coming to realize they like each other. They have to create false drama with misunderstandings and secrets. It drags everything down.

It's the CW love interest curse.

Because she wasn't considered a real love interest, so all they did is have sex and fight. Susan is a fine love interest, because she's not a part of the primary cast. They do the relationship stuff, there's a bit of push and pull when her subplot comes up in the show, and then she goes away.

Now look at Barry/Iris. Kara/Mon-El.

I just want Adrian to go find Deathstroke, destroy the arrow team including killing someone like Diggle. Oliver takes a giant loss at season finale and next season is about revenge against the team up.

... I can dream.

Why would he threaten to kill Mr. Terrific though in his intro episode? There's no way he wouldn't know it was him.

No no. You're going with people logic.

In world logic, people couldn't tell Oliver was the Hood due to some smeared grease, Kara gets by with some glasses, and Barry's half-cowl thing works.

No no. You're going with people logic.

In world logic, people couldn't tell Oliver was the Hood due to some smeared grease, Kara gets by with some glasses, and Barry's half-cowl thing works.

But...but he doesn't even have a voice modifier...

You know what, you're probably right. In a world where a man can go from a fro to cornrows on a dime I shouldn't question the logic of the world.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Dude has flying technology orbs and can cure paralysis but can't make a machine that can do his hair quickly? C'mon guys.

Also, Vigilante is more likely to be Eddy from the Flash than Paul.

GulAtiCa

YES! Yes. I'm excited. Best news.

This must tie into what he mentioned a few months back of making an interesting offer to someone.

Top Bottom