• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Premiere was great. I was glad to see Anarky again. He was one of the best parts of S4.

I hope he comes back. Oliver left him alive so there is a chance.

I was down on the idea of the new team of vigilantes at first, but it might actually work out in the show's favor. They have 20whatever episodes to fill. New characters with new stories help pad that out. Otherwise we just go in circles with the same people. Oliver training a new group is a good arc, I'm warming up to it.

northead

I just finished watching.
This was... a genuinely good episode? Following a... convolutedly bad Flash episode?

Man, Barry really fucked things up this time around, didn't he.

I hope he comes back. Oliver left him alive so there is a chance.

That's my big question. Why did Oliver leave him alive?

Why is Anarky worthy of mercy and nameless grunts aren't?

(This is one of the reasons for Batman's no-kill policy, btw. It's a kludge to get around the idea that your major villains somehow are left alive.)

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That's my big question. Why did Oliver leave him alive?

Why is Anarky worthy of mercy and nameless grunts aren't?

(This is one of the reasons for Batman's no-kill policy, btw. It's a kludge to get around the idea that your major villains somehow are left alive.)

And what happened to him afterwards? Oliver knocked him out, put an arrow into Wild Dog, and the zipped off to the police gala. So I guess he got away?

It doesn't bother me too much when I actually like the villain but even Anarky wondered why he was keeping him alive. lol. And then Oliver snaps that grunt's neck because "He can't know my secret..." That you can dislocate your thumbs and get out of zip ties? He doesn't know you're Green Arrow, chill Oliver.

I hope Wild Dog is just continuously pissy about getting an arrow to the leg, even after he joins the team.

JustinBB7

Wow what a great episode, besides Felicity shit, please die already. Fighting scenes were great, cool camerawork and a fucking parachute arrow. Hope they keep this up the entire season.

Dispatch

I just watched the episode and it was pretty enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the fight scenes.

I'm cautious optimistic for the season.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
Oh oh and the guy who has only had two jobs, a failed nighclub owner and a CEO who ran his company into the ground, is declared mayor.

This is Starling City we're talking about here. I think the only thing you need to do to be mayor is go down to city hall and ask.

"There's your office, here's your bulletproof vest, good luck. And before I forget who should I notify upon your death?"

S2 Oliver was good because he would still kill if need be .
Even in S3 he was willing to go that far .

If I remember right Oliver still offed a couple of people in S2

But he didn't kill Slade, Isabelle,etc in the same season. He regretted Killing Count as well.
Count was the only person he killed that season.

Like someone else said, him not killing or killing isn't what makes the show at all. Its when everything is written competently which both imo S1 and S2 succeeded in. S3 not so much. S4 that middle drop was ROUGH but I feel like it sorta did its Job.

jrush64

Banned
Just watched it. Thought it was really good. Action packed and just all around great. Would love more this kind of Arrow. Not happy that Oliver is killing though.

That's a shame.

That's what happens when you spend more then half of the previous season shitting on the vast bulk of your fans to appease a small minority of the fan base who only cares about their previous ship even though the actors involved in said ship don't have a iota of romantic chemistry. I'm not going to say the writers have handled Laurel or the Black Canery storylines well but it is very clear Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy do have onscreen chemistry. Something Amell and EBR lack.

That's what happens when you spend more then half of the previous season shitting on the vast bulk of your fans to appease a small minority of the fan base who only cares about their previous ship even though the actors involved in said ship don't have a iota of romantic chemistry. I'm not going to say the writers have handled Laurel or the Black Canery storylines well but it is very clear Stephen Amell and Katie Cassidy do have onscreen chemistry. Something Amell and EBR lack.

Olicity worked well until the Crossover actually.

I have a question for you ?
Do you really think that stupid drama and the break up is what the Olicity fan base wanted .
The fact is there were not appeasing anyone with that which was part of the problem .
Olicity was not really a big problem for first set of eps in season 4 .

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/dc_t...s-to-the-cw-with-a-drop-of-over-29-in-a145749

RATINGS: ARROW Season 5 Returns To The CW With A Drop Of Over 29% In Total Viewers

Tabling any discussion about the quality of last season for a moment, it should be noted that most shows are down this year across the board, regardless of network. I think most people who pay attention to the ratings in the TV thread here on GAF predicted it would be down as well, so it isn't a surprise.

What is surprising is just how much it dipped, though. I think they do have a chance to regain some ground in the coming weeks leading up to the crossover, but the make-or-break moment for Arrow is going to be if it can maintain its quality from that point on-wards. I think most people do like the "bones" of the show and most like the actors and characters, but they just need things to be more consistent.

Kelsdesu

Tabling any discussion about the quality of last season for a moment, it should be noted that most shows are down this year across the board, regardless of network. I think most people who pay attention to the ratings in the TV thread here on GAF predicted it would be down as well, so it isn't a surprise.

What is surprising is just how much it dipped, though. I think they do have a chance to regain some ground in the coming weeks leading up to the crossover, but the make-or-break moment for Arrow is going to be if it can maintain its quality from that point on-wards. I think most people do like the "bones" of the show and most like the actors and characters, but they just need things to be more consistent.

I find myself more interested in the flashbacks than the main story. The writing is straight up stale.

The flashback sequences are what I wanted for Gotham.

Yeah this has been happening for years and has only gotten worst for the networks .

Yeah right now it is wait and see for arrow .
Truth is while season 3 and 4 had there problem things did not really get bad until mid way.
Them being more consistent would go a long way to fix things .

jdstorm

Banned
Olicity worked well until the Crossover actually.

Yep. I dont "ship" anyone. But the problems with Felicity have all been caused by stupid writing. Oliver and Felicity in a functional no drama relationship worked
just like Oliver and Sarah, and Oliver and Shadow, and a few other female characters

Back in S1 Felicity was pretty close to Arrow's MVP and best female Character (though that was probably Moira) and was a huge part of what made the show work.

What hasnt worked is creating a relationship between the two leads of tbe show then having them break up for reasons that even the most irrational fans can see make zero sense.

Arrow was actually enjoyable for the first time since Ollie got spartan kicked off the mountain by Ra's.

Deserved better ratings than Flash, that's for sure

Jonogunn

Awesome fucking episode.

Action wasn't good for once. The last two season had pretty weak action and I always love seeing Ollie kick ass not in his arrow costume. That scene where he took down all those guys in his suit looked legit pro. Well done Stephen Amell. Totally has a season 1 feel to this show again.

They (and Hollywood in general) need to do more action scenes with less cutting to diff camera angles. All those long scenes where the camera followed the action was great. I watched this documentary on Jackie Chan and how his action scenes are always wide angle and never cuts out.

ZeroX03

Banned
This has to be the year Chesthair dies right?

Give him a father figure/friendship arc with Oliver (nothing too blatant, just have them work close together a lot), Prometheus kills him, revenge time.

Like who would've guessed he would stick around longer than Laurel?

Piku_Ringo

Banned
That Season 1 Neck Snapping with the music too.

Shows also using that "Always forward, never Backwards." shtick from Luke Cage.

This has to be the year Chesthair dies right?

Give him a father figure/friendship arc with Oliver (nothing too blatant, just have them work close together a lot), Prometheus kills him, revenge time.

Like who would've guessed he would stick around longer than Laurel?

Nah, I think it's going to be one of the sidekicks who bites it this season.

Top Bottom