• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This has to be the year Chesthair dies right?

Give him a father figure/friendship arc with Oliver (nothing too blatant, just have them work close together a lot), Prometheus kills him, revenge time.

Like who would've guessed he would stick around longer than Laurel?

I hope he stays around. I feel like they're building towards police corruption being an issue this season and Lance is gonna clean things up, like Oliver's own Commissioner Gordon.

One of the new vigilantes is dead dead dead though. I can't see a team of scrubs all surviving. They gotta learn the stakes somehow.

This has to be the year Chesthair dies right?

Give him a father figure/friendship arc with Oliver (nothing too blatant, just have them work close together a lot), Prometheus kills him, revenge time.

Like who would've guessed he would stick around longer than Laurel?

Yeah i though he would die starting from 2 seasons ago .

Sober

Good start. Hope it maintains the same quality. Like that they are gonna introduce new recruits. Sounded cheesy as hell during off season but sounds interesting here.

And oh my god the flashbacks are decent again.

I just went back and watched the s4 finale, since I never saw it, and it's night and day compared to this premiere, so far. I really hope this season is back on track.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Chad Coleman plays his guy weird though. He was out of breath from fighting that cop.

I thought his line reading was a little too fast. But I like Coleman and I'm glad he didn't get killed off easily like I was expecting. Too many one and done villains in Arrow over the years.

Joni

I thought his line reading was a little too fast. But I like Coleman and I'm glad he didn't get killed off easily like I was expecting. Too many one and done villains in Arrow over the years.
I think we knew before he would be some mini boss for the first half.

Grizzlyjin

I think we knew before he would be some mini boss for the first half.

I like that. I'm really not looking forward to a villain stretched thin across an entire season. Having smaller obstacles before we get to a Big Bad is so much better.

ZeroX03

Banned
Look, at you all, full of hope that Arrow is back to form, while the writers are just like...

zoomhope7yj2s.gif

Grizzlyjin

Look, at you all, full of hope that Arrow is back to form, while the writers are just like...

zoomhope7yj2s.gif

I actually had nice things to say about Arrow AND Flash this week. I feel like I've been transported to a different timeline. Or I got a brain injury over the summer break. If I think the Legends of Tomorrow premiere is good, I'm seeing a doctor.

ZeroX03

Banned
I actually had nice things to say about Arrow AND Flash this week. I feel like I've been transported to a different timeline. Or I got a brain injury over the summer break. If I think the Legends of Tomorrow premiere is good, I'm seeing a doctor.

From what I've heard... don't count on it. I think the first few episodes of Legends are going to be rough. They're establishing the JSA, Legion of Doom and the new status quo. It'll take a while. I'm happy with Legends just being a show where they put great characters together on a flimsy excuse? Yes, I do want Heat Wave vs. Reverse Flash.

The only discussion that'll be had about the Supergirl premiere is whether they did Superman better than the DCEU and the whole thread will erupt into an argument over that. It's gonna be fun guys.

Joni

We will see cool versions of cold, Malcolm, Darhk and reverse flash. We will go crazy about Legends.

DieH@rd

Banned
I saw the premiere. It was good but nothing mindblowing.

But... what were they thinking.... arrow parachute... really?

REALLY?

Joni

I saw the premiere. It was good but nothing mindblowing.

But... what were they thinking.... arrow parachute... really?

REALLY?
We need more stupid arrows like the boxing glove. It is one of the things that makes the green Arrow the green Arrow.

Yep. I dont "ship" anyone. But the problems with Felicity have all been caused by stupid writing. Oliver and Felicity in a functional no drama relationship worked
just like Oliver and Sarah, and Oliver and Shadow, and a few other female characters

Back in S1 Felicity was pretty close to Arrow's MVP and best female Character (though that was probably Moira) and was a huge part of what made the show work.

What hasnt worked is creating a relationship between the two leads of tbe show then having them break up for reasons that even the most irrational fans can see make zero sense.

Most of the problems with Felicity stem from poor writing, but also EBR while great with the comedic bits is easily the weakest actor when trying to do dramatic scenes. The problems with the character started when they went away from her strength which was as a comic relief side character and tried to make her the main dramatic female lead. When the Green Arrow starts to feel like a guest star in his own show in favour of comic relief character, something is wrong.

With regards to the poor writing last season: For me nothing beats the fact the writers thought it okay to have Felicity work through her internal conflict regarding her injury by hallucinating her emo self.

That was some of the shittiest amateur writing I've ever seen.

For the first time since season 2 I can say Arrow is back
I feel like they finally realized how bad the last two seasons were and are trying to make it more like season 1. Killer Oliver coming back from out of nowhere is nice, but the biggest tell is that he has his goofy wig in the flashbacks again, inexplicably. I also like that Felicity is being relegated to cave only, but we'll see if that lasts.

cereal_killerxx

Reading this thread gives me hope for S1 or S2 quality. I think I'll wait one or two more episodes though before I hop aboard this hype train.

Reading this thread gives me hope for S1 or S2 quality. I think I'll wait one or two more episodes though before I hop aboard this hype train.

Stay away until after the crossover happens. That is always where Arrow goes astray once Berlanti and Kreisberg don't have Guggie on his leash. If by episode 100 the show has descended into season 3 of Felicity and Friends with shit writing then it might be safe to come back.

ZeroX03

Banned
Stay away until after the crossover happens. That is always where Arrow goes astray once Berlanti and Kreisberg don't have Guggie on his leash. If by episode 100 the show has descended into season 3 of Felicity and Friends with shit writing then it might be safe to come back.

That's two threads with this shit. Is he going for the trifecta?

Joni

That is not how it works. That is not how it works. That is not how it works.That is not how it works.That is not how it works. And if was how it works, then clearly Guggenheim is not doing it because he is doing Legends, like last year. If you want to look at writers disappearing from season 1 and 2 in season 3 and 4, then it is exactly Guggenheim who has had the biggest decrease from season 1 and 2 where he had an hand in almost half the episodes, compared to 4-5 in season 3 and 4.

wildfire

Banned
For the first time since season 2 I can say Arrow is back

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I will say that I didn't see as many redflags as I saw in both season 3 and season 4 openers that told me they would suck.

Right now the flaws I see now is that Arrow is clearly on a lower budget (not surprising since most long established shows get slashed in order to maximize profits because the audience is now entrenched) and that they still have issues with fight choreography in a large context (the explosive perimeter plot point was beyond terrible in reasoning and execution).

The cast is gelling a lot better so it's more enjoyable to watch them do things. The flashbacks are decent instead of WTF inducing. The overall plot and foreshadowing is even more solid than how season 2 started off.
The Arrow production team will make some obvious mistakes especially since they are contrained by a tighter budget but they clearly have a stronger story to work with.

That is not how it works. That is not how it works. That is not how it works.That is not how it works.That is not how it works. And if was how it works, then clearly Guggenheim is not doing it because he is doing Legends, like last year. If you want to look at writers disappearing from season 1 and 2 in season 3 and 4, then it is exactly Guggenheim who has had the biggest decrease from season 1 and 2 where he had an hand in almost half the episodes, compared to 4-5 in season 3 and 4.

Do you know how showrunners work? A shows showrunner is the main creative force who determines how a show breaks. Season 1 and 2 Kreisberg was the showrunner and Berlanti was also very hands on in the creative, Arrow was fantastic. Season 3 and 4, with Kreisberg focusing on The Flash and then Supergirl Guggenheim and Mericle were made the Arrow showrunners and the quality dropped like a rock. Guggenheim also runs Legends which was incredibly uneven.

KonradLaw

I don't think there's a pattern like that. The weakest part of S3 was before the crossovers (or rather episode before, since Cupid owned). S2 also had it's best batch of episodes afer crossover.
Last season was the only case when the show drowned after crossover and even that managed to claw back up once the last third of eps was activated.

Joni

Do you know how showrunners work? A shows showrunner is the main creative force who determines how a show breaks. Season 1 and 2 Kreisberg was the showrunner and Berlanti was also very hands on in the creative, Arrow was fantastic. Season 3 and 4, with Kreisberg focusing on The Flash and then Supergirl Guggenheim and Mericle were made the Arrow showrunners and the quality dropped like a rock. Guggenheim also runs Legends which was incredibly uneven.

The showrunner is simply running day-to-day operations. It differs from television production to production, but for the Arrowverse it is Berlanti together with the executive producers setting the main story beats, not a showrunner determining the creative. It is why Berlanti has a credit on almost every major episode or why the writers room is not even in the same country as the showrunners. Mericle was made co-showrunner because Guggenheim took on Legends. If the showrunner in these shows had so much power, it would be really strange for Kreisberg being able to handle Supergirl and The Flash in two separate countries.

Sölf

Finally watched this episodes. I really enjoyed it, more than Flash actually, which suprised me. I like Church (or whatever the black guys name was), if he isn't dealt with in the next 1-2 episodes he could actually prove to be an interesting villain. I also like that even though there is conflict, it's not as annoying as in the other seasons (mainly because it's no relationship drama).

Anyways, that was better than expected. :D

wamberz1

no spoilers but was the opener good? got it on my DVR but haven't had time to watch
Pretty good, definitely above regular arrow standards. The story was mildly interesting but nothing to write home about. The action however was excellent, and the cinematography was on point. Overall a strong premiere, and hopefully a sign of things to come.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
sorry Joni, after 5 years
(on the island)
i know you are in too deep - of course you'd say yes :p

Pretty good, definitely above regular arrow standards. The story was mildly interesting but nothing to write home about. The action however was excellent, and the cinematography was on point. Overall a strong premiere, and hopefully a sign of things to come.

dope! thanks, will watch this weekend

The real test will be how things go when Diggle and Thea rejoin the team, since the last two seasons were partially shit because of their dumb plotlines. This season is starting during and feels now like season 1 so far because the episode focused almost solely on Green Arrow for a change, which we've not seen for some time.

A good opener, but my god, Ollie is even dumber than Barry. These fools don´t seem to learn anything. I am so happy that Felicity has a BF. To bad he is already dead. I hope that does not bring her closer to Oliver.

Joni

The dangers of crossover as defined by amell

Facebook! What's up?! I'm sorry that I had to miss going live today... In the midst of the crossover, I literally forgot what show / where I was shooting... (This is a true story...) and ended up being five minutes late to set. Now I'm on set all day and my phone is behaving like it's 2003. None the less... I will likely go live when we wrap tonight (this morning). Nothing in particular to talk about... Kidding. The massive amount of kind words written about our premiere have been terrifical. Lovely. Super-fantastic. We wanted to come out of the gate strong and we did. Episode 2 is equal to the task. Now... if you'll excuse me, I must return to the most gruelling stretch of filming since the early days of Season 1. Good times. SA

MontyMarx

Neo Member
I'm enjoying the darker aspects of the new seasons, even though it's been one episode. The same with Agents of Shield, the later time slot is helping it.

Also
Run Barry Run!

A good opener, but my god, Ollie is even dumber than Barry. These fools don´t seem to learn anything. I am so happy that Felicity has a BF. To bad he is already dead. I hope that does not bring her closer to Oliver.

No one is dumber than barry and at least oliver has point .
Plus he don't fuck over timelines when he do dumb shit .

Top Bottom