• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

CryptiK

Because Netflix shows suck.
Great now I can completely disregard all your opinions. But yeah Arrow has been great so far. Can't wait for the crossover, Its not just Supergirl crossing over is it? From her earth that is. They really needed to fuse the Supergirl Earth and Arrowverse into one tho, would be so much better.

Joni

Great now I can completely disregard all your opinions.
Oh please, the Marvel shows have been overhyped bloated shows that would be interesting at half their length. They're a good test to see who falls for the typical HBO/Netflix are great/traditional broadcast networks suck hype.

ZeroX03

Banned
ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT SEASON 4 IS LEGIT

FUCK THE HATERS

aNKyAx5.gif

Joni

Let's say my comments are focused on their comics stuff, you know, the stuff relevant for if they took over DC stuff.

KonradLaw

Caught up on last episode. Damn...I can;t believe we made it into crossover without a dud.
This season is so much fun. Vigilante was fun mid-boss that is cool on his own without overshadowing Prometheus.
I love how much effort they put into making Oliver look badass this year. That rope kick and that bulletproof shield arrow. He's constantly operating on his Flash-guestarring levels of competence these days.
The team is coming through nicely too, especially with Artemis being the traitor. It was also nice they didn't drag out the Quentin twist. As a whole they don't drag out stuff this year at all.
And Dolph..damn man, Finally a great flashbacks villain.

Keep it up Arrow crew.

KonradLaw

What was so bad about Olicity in the first few episodes of S4?

The answer is nothing. I'll repeat it for the billionth time, people are upset about the drama that Olicity brings not the relationship itself. S5 wouldn't suddenly be bad if Felicity were with Oliver instead of Detective Dinky. S3 and S4 suffered from far more than just relationship drama too, you're just conflating the two unnecessarily.

If they had to have Olicity then steady couple is best. But if you don't have Olicity requirement having them just friends is a lot better, because you can mine a lot of cool plotlines out of Oliver's love interests.

Looking at previous seasons the love plotlines that worked are those that were short and strongly connected to action parts. Crazy psycho Huntress, tragic Shado, traitorous Lady Deathstroke etc. Meeting love interests that create superhero-level of problems is best for a show like this.

If there was no Olicity then in last two seasons Oliver would likely sleep with Katana, Madame Xanadu and heck...maybe even Cupid and the show would better for it ;D Slut Oliver is the best Oliver.

Joni

If they had to have Olicity then steady couple is best. But if you don't have Olicity requirement having them just friends is a lot better, because you can mine a lot of cool plotlines out of Oliver's love interests.

Looking at previous seasons the love plotlines that worked are those that were short and strongly connected to action parts. Crazy psycho Huntress, tragic Shado, traitorous Lady Deathstroke etc. Meeting love interests that create superhero-level of problems is best for a show like this.

Shado lasted for more than a year, while Ravager got about five minutes of attention. Huntress is about the only one which follows your criteria of short love interest strongly connected to action parts.

KonradLaw

Shado lasted for more than a year, while Ravager got about five minutes of attention. Huntress is about the only one which follows your criteria of short love interest strongly connected to action parts.
Shado's love story lasted less than a year and it was flashbacks, which on their own occupy small part of each episode. And he still slept with Ravager. Come on, don't try to pick apart my words like we're having televised debate . This isn't political discussion or console flamewar ;)
All three were short romances where eventual drama came from death, destructions, treasons etc, instead of coming from relationship problems.

What I mean is that superheroes don't have normal lives and their stories are always hugely exagarated. So introducing normal relationship problems simply doesn't work because it seems like petty bullshit compared to the stakes the main plot has. It's also why Laurel's alcoholic storyline and Thea's teenage drama didn't work well, because you had a male lead battling mirakuru soldiers/dark archers and saving whole cities, so normal Dawson Creek-levels of problems just seemed insignificant and wastefull plot-wise when they get a lot of airtime.

Joni

So it would be better just to have them be happy, like Barry and Iris, and make cutsie faces from time to time to remind us and have villains kidnap her once a year.

Sephzilla

I actually hope Supergirl being a normal episode that ends with Cisco/Flash showing up doesn't sour casual viewers on the crossover. That might seem bait and switchy to some.

I actually hope Supergirl being a normal episode that ends with Cisco/Flash showing up doesn't sour casual viewers on the crossover. That might seem bait and switchy to some.
What's going to be weird is that the catalyst for them showing up won't be known until the next night, so they'll have to do some flashback shenanigans or something.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I was wondering if maybe the stinger for tonight's episode of The Flash would be the first introduction of the crossover and then Supergirl stinger, then shit starts popping in Flash. Probably not by the sounds of it

Also, episode 12 of Arrow is now in production per Guggenheim's Twitter. The episode is called
"Bratva."

I was wondering if maybe the stinger for tonight's episode of The Flash would be the first introduction of the crossover and then Supergirl stinger, then shit starts popping in Flash. Probably not by the sounds of it

Also, episode 12 of Arrow is now in production per Guggenheim's Twitter. The episode is called
"Bratva."
It's kind of weird timing to have the crossover, I feel. Like, all the individual plots are hitting a crescendo, and now they will be put on hold. Are Cadmus, Alchemy, Savitar, Prometheus, and Vigilante just going to wait around while this invasion happens, or what?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It's kind of weird timing to have the crossover, I feel. Like, all the individual plots are hitting a crescendo, and now they will be put on hold. Are Cadmus, Alchemy, Savitar, Prometheus, and Vigilante just going to wait around while this invasion happens, or what?

I guess we'll see tonight with Flash. That's the one that has a lot of immediate threats going on right now. I could see Arrow having room to breathe after last week. The reveal with Artemis is a long game thing, they probably got a few days of chasing Vigilante around. I could but Oliver saying they need to take some time and deal with a bigger threat.

Flash has like three big moments all coming to a head. Tonight should be interesting there.

carlsojo

That four-way crossover poster with the fucking HALL OF JUSTICE in the background is so fucking cool.

You know if it wasn't for these Arrowverse threads I would probably bail out of Off-Topic entirely. Everything else is doom and gloom.

So it would be better just to have them be happy, like Barry and Iris, and make cutsie faces from time to time to remind us and have villains kidnap her once a year.

This is pretty much the best way to go about it and most CW shows forget that. Forced drama and secrets suuuuuuuuck. Most of the Arrowverse shows have been great because secrets last an episode or two tops.

This is pretty much the best way to go about it and most CW shows forget that. Forced drama and secrets suuuuuuuuck. Most of the Arrowverse shows have been great because secrets last an episode or two tops.
Why did they have drama again. Because of Oliver's secret child he didn't tell her about?

Why did they have drama again. Because of Oliver's secret child he didn't tell her about?

Yeah. I think she even got mad about not being included in the decision to send both the mom and kid away for their own protection, which is kinda lol, since that's legitimately none of her business.

I like that everyone across all of the shows seemingly learned from their secret keeping mistakes last season(s).

Yeah. I think she even got mad about not being included in the decision to send both the mom and kid away for their own protection, which is kinda lol, since that's legitimately none of her business.

I like that everyone across all of the shows seemingly learned from their secret keeping mistakes last season(s).
I kinda forgot so I'm glad I wasn't too far off.
The weird thing is that plot isn't really relevant now. If you can't commit to them being a couple why do it in the first place?

Joni

World ending aliens, yeah, I can see why Prometheus and Vigilante stand aside for a bit. Savitar and Alchemy are still in their plotting phases while Cadmus isn't in the same universe as the danger.

GulAtiCa

why are no shows on tonight?

no arrow, lethal weapon or south park

Day before Thanksgiving, so likely most ratings would be down for today and esp tomorrow (unless your football)

Plus for Arrow, The Flash had a break a few weeks back when Arrow didn't. So allows both shows to be synced up again.

Grizzlyjin

why are no shows on tonight?

no arrow, lethal weapon or south park

Nobody would watch them in the US because Thanksgiving is on Thursday. Usually people are drunk or traveling around on Wednesday night.

I wonder if the team up will work well. Now the team is too large, that some characters will definitely be shafted since it is only 3 episodes. But i gotta say, team ups are a great fan service, so bring it.

Joni

I'm thankful you guys killed some Indians and have to celebrate which means I don't get Arrow... At least it gives me time to catch up on some Gilmore Girls. No Arrow means one more episode because I won't make it on time for Netflix.

Grizzlyjin

I'm thankful you guys killed some Indians and have to celebrate which means I don't get Arrow... At least it gives me time to catch up on some Gilmore Girls. No Arrow means one more episode because I won't make it on time for Netflix.

I'm thankful for the break, last night's episode of Flash was so stupid I'm rethinking why I watch CW shows. I need a few days of turkey and deep introspection.

Then I'll be squealing everytime Melissa Benoist is on-screen next Monday, per usual.

Joni

I'm thankful for the break, last night's episode of Flash was so stupid I'm rethinking why I watch CW shows. I need a few days of turkey and deep introspection.

Then I'll be squealing everytime Melissa Benoist is on-screen next Monday, per usual.

Let's be honest, you only have that problem with Barry this year.

Grizzlyjin

Let's be honest, you only have that problem with Barry this year.

I absolutely hate him. Which is weird because I rarely have irrational hatred for fictional characters. Like everybody hates Joffrey on Game of Thrones, that's the point. But Barry as a main character drives me crazy. Smarmy self righteous... Eugh!

At this rate, I'll be the villain for Flash Season 4. Lol

Joni

I absolutely hate him. Which is weird because I rarely have irrational hatred for fictional characters. Like everybody hates Joffrey on Game of Thrones, that's the point. But Barry as a main character drives me crazy. Smarmy self righteous... Eugh!

At this rate, I'll be the villain for Flash Season 4. Lol

At this point, I'm convinced Eobard is the hero for trying to kill Barry.

Luigi87

When watching the trailer like that, I guess when you put it all together, it's kind of like a made for TV movie.

Unfortunately for me Legends is the only one I won't be able to catch live due to work D=

Top Bottom