• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Not much cross over stuff but a great ep of arrow .
I always like seeing ep like this every now and then .
That have so much fan service to people that watch over the years .

Hell Thea and Oliver's entire conversation was about reflecting what they both lost.

Yep even sound like they played some season one music with it .

The Light

Every villain jobbed.

It's their destiny to lose.

I hope people aren't surprised when the Legends stop the Legion of Doom. Matt Letscher was completely open about the fact that the Reverse Flash is going to lose.

Also they're not real. And yeah, at this point, a non-powered Slade would definitely lose to Oliver.
Of course he is going to lose but make it interesting. Oliver took him out like random hive soldier. Being a dream world defence he should've been the powered up version.
After the Thea episode, legends episode and twice this episode deathstroke is joke status.

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course he is going to lose but make it interesting. Oliver took him out like random hive soldier. Being a dream world defence he should've been the powered up version.
After the Thea episode, legends episode and twice this episode deathstroke is joke status.

Only one of those are actually Slade. Maybe Deathstroke is jobbing, but Slade's two losses were to Oliver and a tag team Oliver and Thea (who had weapons). People keep saying he lost to Thea like it was a 1v1, no, he lost a 2v1 where she pulled a gun on him.

Not sure why people seem to think he's some kind of god or something. His advantage was mirakuru and the element of surprise. Without that he's probably only on Merlyn's level and is certainly no Ra's or metahuman.

Nobody else was powered up in the dream world. Think you're just going for wish fulfillment here. We should all know what happens when they try and make Deathstroke broken.

ShadyK54

Just finished via DVR, and boy did this episode just hit all the feels. Sooo good. This week has been the best Arrowverse crossover yet IMO.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Joke my buddy caught: Malcolm telling Thea how Tommy became a doctor and moved to Chicago. He's currently on Chicago Med.

Solid episode. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Flash crossover episode last night but it was still solid. Lots of cool fan service in there.

Looking forward to see the big battle go down in Legends tomorrow

MartyStu

arrowlegacy2xs14.gif

slothroyobro7bsef.gif
doublekillxxs9c.gif

One thing I usually hate about shows that have women fight men is that the choreography rarely seems to remember that they are fighting dudes several times their size and thus the fight must be approached differently.

Arrow forgets this often, but this fight seemed to nail it. I especially like how Thea does not fuck around and goes for the sword the first chance she gets.

Same with Sara and the first Slade fight.

Both times Oliver spends too much time dicking around trying to overpower Slade.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Thea's reaction to being on a spaceship and all the sci-fi tech was gold.

We need more of these instead of just one every year. Would love for a full blown season finale involving all the shows fighting a legitimate huge threat. Something like Mongul since WB won't let them use Darkseid.

ZeroX03

Banned
We need more of these instead of just one every year.

Flash and Supergirl are doing a musical crossover later this season.

But in general, crossovers are a huge burden on the production schedule, that's why they're limited to a few occurrences a year.

Flash and Supergirl are doing a musical crossover later this season.

But in general, crossovers are a huge burden on the production schedule, that's why they're limited to a few occurrences a year.

Hearing it described, they were filming all three on the same schedules, going back and forth across the three productions. Maybe one day they'll do one huge production split into parts. As I understand it, that's how The Defenders is doing it. For now it's an event spanning the shows, which is still really neat.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
That episode was REALLY good. I was a bit skeptical going into it because this had to do double duty, serving as a 100th episode celebration and the middle of the crossover. They nailed it though.

- Fantastic stunt work. You can tell the actors put in time
- The meta joke about Tommy being a doctor in Chicago was great
- The big fight in the garden was great, especially who everyone was pitted against. And that Thea to Sara arrow kill. Whew
- The Flash to Supergirl tag team...I geeked out. Hard
- The emotional beats actually hit, especially with everyone walking away from a better version of their lives. The scene at the wedding between Oliver and Thea was a highlight
- They seemed to just being having a lot of fun with this. Tons of jokes and references scattered all over the place.
- It organically transitioned into Legends of Tomorrow. It makes sense that the Waverider would be used to save them from aliens, it's the only spacecraft these guys have.
- It was nice that Ray and Sara were a significant part of this since they originated on Arrow.

Only thing I didn't really care for was the Wild Dog being suspicious of metahumans "subplot." I put that in quotations because it was resolved in like 2 scenes. To their credit, they built up to it with him being standoff-ish at HQ but I don't really see the point in even getting into that during an Invasion.

The overall weakest aspect of the crossover as a whole is still the villains. The Dominators CG looks wonderful, but they're really undercooked as villains. They seem to be opening that up with the revelation that they only abducted normal humans.

ZeroX03

Banned
Hearing it described, they were filming all three on the same schedules, going back and forth across the three productions. Maybe one day they'll do one huge production split into parts. As I understand it, that's how The Defenders is doing it. For now it's an event spanning the shows, which is still really neat.

Essentially they sacrifice certain things to make schedules work. Melissa had less scenes in last week's Supergirl. Nick Zano wasn't in the first part of the crossover, but was in this episode while Mick and Firestorm weren't. They make the best out of what they can.

Doing one whole production would essentially be starting a new TV show. Also Netflix has the luxury of being able to shoot shows heavily out of order and be a lot more flexible with filming. Not the case with network stuff, you shoot in the order it airs with only half an episode's wriggle room really. A Defenders style show would be literally a new show, that they'd have to produce from 'scratch' and sell to markets etc.

ZeroX03

Banned
Interesting little note, they tried to get Andy back for the episode for Diggle to fight but couldn't. I assume same goes for Manu.

Also confirms that Deathstroke is still Oliver's biggest/most personal enemy for people concerned about that.

https://twitter.com/mguggenheim/status/804146361604018176

Guys , what are all the shows involved in this crossovers?

And is oliver back with felicity yet?

Flash -> Arrow -> Legends with special guest star Supergirl (but you don't have to watch that show)

No Olicity yet.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Interesting little note, they tried to get Andy back for the episode for Diggle to fight but couldn't. I assume same goes for Manu.

Also confirms that Deathstroke is still Oliver's biggest/most personal enemy for people concerned about that.

Flash -> Arrow -> Legends with special guest star Supergirl (but you don't have to watch that show)

No Olicity yet.

Yeah, I figured there must have been a hangup with Andy's actor. They had Diggle fighting Ghosts, but not Andy. That's a missed opportunity. They even went through the trouble of having Ray fight Mirakuru soldiers because they're the ones who killed his fiancee.

I enjoyed seeing Laurel again. I hope she comes back. Either through time fuckery or Earth-2 Canary or something.

Syrus

Banned

No Olicity yet.

Is it headed that way , back to olicity i mean. Is she still paralyzed?

Pics_nao

As an Arrow episode, fucking loved it and all the throwbacks.

As a crossover episode, I hated it. Far too contained to really be a crossover. Last year's crossover actually felt like a crossover and not self contained for whatever reasons.

Grizzlyjin

Is it headed that way , back to olicity i mean. Is she still paralyzed?

Nah. They haven't done anything romantic this season...so far. She moved on, he's moving on. She can walk now.

The Light

Only one of those are actually Slade. Maybe Deathstroke is jobbing, but Slade's two losses were to Oliver and a tag team Oliver and Thea (who had weapons). People keep saying he lost to Thea like it was a 1v1, no, he lost a 2v1 where she pulled a gun on him.

Not sure why people seem to think he's some kind of god or something. His advantage was mirakuru and the element of surprise. Without that he's probably only on Merlyn's level and is certainly no Ra's or metahuman.

Nobody else was powered up in the dream world. Think you're just going for wish fulfillment here. We should all know what happens when they try and make Deathstroke broken.
I guess it is wish fulfillment on my end. Every time we get a preview of a deathstroke appearance I think we will be getting the island version. Also I would love if we can get deathstroke vs the heroes in a crossover with that level of brokenness. That would make for amazing tv. Even better would be a tag team with pre-nerfed Vandal Savage.

ZeroX03

Banned
Also there were nods to Ray's fiancé and his relationship with Felicity but nothing to the two years he spent with Kendra. This time last year they were all about the Hawks and now they've been dropped and forgotten.

It's cool how Tommy was only a one season character but he's still so important. It's very clear the cast and crew are still tight with Colin Donell.

I guess it is wish fulfillment on my end. Every time we get a preview of a deathstroke appearance I think we will be getting the island version. Also I would love if we can get deathstroke vs the heroes in a crossover with that level of brokenness. That would make for amazing tv. Even better would be a tag team with pre-nerfed Vandal Savage.
If it's any consolation, Deathstroke is still Oliver's most personal villain. Oliver wasn't fighting Ra's in the dream. At least until Prometheus plays out.

Jonogunn

I would have enjoyed this episode more if it wasn't part of the crossover. I was expecting more hero interaction and aliens on earth.

This entire episode basically took place in a dream which did nothing for the main plot itself.

Thus I was a little disappointed. I enjoyed the flash ep much more.

Shame they couldn't get Manu Bennett on for a guest appearance. That would have been mad hype.

jb1234

I'm deeply impressed they managed to make the "it's all a dream" trope work. It's been beaten to death on various sci-fi shows but those usually focus on the plot elements as opposed to the characters. The character work here is what ended up shining, otherwise I would have completely lost interest.

So, yeah. Weak as a crossover event but very strong as an Arrow ep.

Neoxon

This was a wonderful episode. And there was something satisfying about Sara taking down Darhk with his own arrow-stab trick.

I kept hearing that Arrow Season 5 is actually pretty damn good, now I may actually get back into it.

wildfire

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised to see one more such even but I feel Arrow will gracefully be put into syndication and retire before that happens. I do hope the seriously consider a director's cut of seasons 3-4 because many episodes need reworks.

If Arrow is shelved what type of DC show you hope they would be doing next?

carlsojo

That episode was perfect. Just perfect.

I legit cried when Oliver hugged his parents. And when he said goodbye to Laurel. Fuck.

Also Thea's takedown of Merlyn with the leyup arrow to Sara was fucking perfect.

Easily the best Arrow episode of all time.

Dalek

That's the best episode they've ever done. Congrats to the cast and crew for turning in an episode like that 5 seasons in.

And Laurel looked gorgeous.

Sober

Amazing, love all the call-backs to previous seasons and having episode 100 being a fairly introspective one while still having cool action sequences as well as having to do crossover work.

Top Bottom