• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Skux

I never thought I'd see the start of an alien invasion on an episode of Arrow.

Really enjoyable episode, and a huge pile of easter eggs for fans who have been with the show (and the evolution of the DC TV universe) from the start.

Even the Russian maid from season 1 got a shoutout. They left no stone unturned.

pretty dope episode. amell stepped up his acting game for this one, nice fights too in the courtyard. loved that.

pretty disappointing that flash and supergirl are only in it for like less than a minute though, that was a damn shame. this crossover aint living up to the hype despite both episodes being fun (arrow itself being one of it's better episodes for sure). hopefully the CW trinity gets more screentime together in the next one.

also who is this lame in the jeans at the end on the wave rider. don't tell me this guy replaced Rip Hunter.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
also who is this lame in the jeans at the end on the wave rider. don't tell me this guy replaced Rip Hunter.

That's Nate. Nah, I wouldn't say he has replaced Rip. Sara is the defacto leader at the moment. Nate is a historian. His character has actually been pretty fun. He's pretty upbeat and just happy to be going on adventures.

Vixen is a new member as well but they didnt show her. And not the Vixen from last year, the grandmother of that Vixen. Time travel shenanigans.

ZeroX03

Banned
Nate is the newbie of the team. But instead of showing hesitation and repeatedly mentioning his old job as a barista, he relishes being a hero and loves history.

Worth noting Nate can turn into metal like Colossus. Before that he was a hemophiliac who stayed indoors. Future Nazi super serum or something helped him. It's not really important. But he knows Ollie from the season premiere by deducing his secret identity.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
As the 100th episode of Arrow, it was fine. As part 3 of the mega crossover, it was absolutely terrible, not to mention inappropriate. Way to kill all of the excitement and momentum that was generated by last night's funtastic Flash by spending nearly the entire episode on self indulgent flashback/dream sequence fan service.

I'm really curious if this gets released as its own dvd/bluray. The entire thing plays like a film so far.

It really really doesn't.

sirap

Worth noting Nate can turn into metal like Colossus. Before that he was a hemophiliac who stayed indoors. Future Nazi super serum or something helped him. It's not really important. But he knows Ollie from the season premiere by deducing his secret identity.

Lets stop to consider just how bat-shit insane this premise is. I fucking love DCTV because screw logic, we ain't got time for that.

I thought it was an amazing episode. It felt more of a 100th episode of Arrow than the second (or third if you insist on counting Supergirl) part of the all stars crossover, but the overall result was wonderful. Exciting fight scenes, awesome callbacks and humor and surprisingly well-done emotional beats. It was great seeing Mama Queen, Laurel and Tommy. The feels! Extremely hyped for Legends!

Oh and Flash/Supergirl tag team was EVERYTHING! These two need to crossover as much as possible. The chemistry is off the charts.

Lyonaz

Loving the crossover episodes so far.

Also Supergirl doing the superhero landing and the following Flash team-up made me geek out. Those two are the best.

As the 100th episode of Arrow, it was fine. As part 3 of the mega crossover, it was absolutely terrible, not to mention inappropriate. Way to kill all of the excitement and momentum that was generated by last night's funtastic Flash by spending nearly the entire episode on self indulgent flashback/dream sequence fan service.

The only way we really could've gotten this episode imo and have it work well within context without feeling like BS is because of the crossover. Its the perfect framing device to celebrate the show that made the crossover possible in the first place.

Patryn

Also there were nods to Ray's fiancé and his relationship with Felicity but nothing to the two years he spent with Kendra. This time last year they were all about the Hawks and now they've been dropped and forgotten.
Given that the Hawks were a major reason that I stopped watching Legends Season 1, the less said about them the better.

The Arrowverse has had a lot of misses in the last five years, but I honestly think the Hawks was the biggest miss of them all (simply because we wasted the crossover last year on their nonsense, in addition to wasting Legends Season 1).

This season of Arrow has been fantastic. This crossover is really fun. I'd love a permanent crossover Justice League show.

Also, can this version of Kryptonians survive in the vacuum of space?

idonteven

This season of Arrow has been fantastic. This crossover is really fun. I'd love a permanent crossover Justice League show.

Also, can this version of Kryptonians survive in the vacuum of space?

not sure...kara could just solo the whole thing then

i dont remember her going into space in supergirl

That Renee/Supergirl/Flash scene was so fucking corny. One minute he hates metas/super powered beings and the next minute he's grateful. And that Flash/Supergirl little tag team scene was so cringe worthy.

ZeroX03

Banned
I like how Dahrk only had one line but man Neal McDonough made it count.

Darhk is a nothing character in the comics, poorly written in Arrow S4 and basically only persists due to McDonough relishing in playing such an asshole of a character (see: Justified). Good fun over in Legends too.

carlsojo

Darhk is a nothing character in the comics, poorly written in Arrow S4 and basically only persists due to McDonough relishing in playing such an asshole of a character (see: Justified). Good fun over in Legends too.

Haha I loves him in Justified too. Hype for Legion of Doom.

KonradLaw

That was a pure joy and celebration of the whole show. Lots of great easter eggs, while still hitting in the gut where it counts.

Dunlop

Given that the Hawks were a major reason that I stopped watching Legends Season 1, the less said about them the better.

Wasn;t a fan of them either, I stopped watching season 1 I think midway through
just kidnapped big baddies kid

This crossover almost makes me want to revisit it, even with the big spoiler that was mentioned on the Flash episode

strafer

Holy moly, the fucking feels in this episode. :(

But did anyone else notice how bad the CGI was on the Roy ghost?

pretty dope episode. amell stepped up his acting game for this one, nice fights too in the courtyard. loved that.

pretty disappointing that flash and supergirl are only in it for like less than a minute though, that was a damn shame. this crossover aint living up to the hype despite both episodes being fun (arrow itself being one of it's better episodes for sure). hopefully the CW trinity gets more screentime together in the next one.

He's Man of Steel.

Effect

I know the hardcore Olicity fans were pissed yesterday after what Guggenheim said regarding how he regretted how they handled the pairing last season. So much so they got a hashtag trending in response to show their anger and to keep backing the pairing. I can only imagine how mad they were last night.

What's being slightly overlooked is that the dream world showed not only that the characters wanted all these people alive again or different things out of life but for Ollie his possible ideal world was him marrying Laurel and being with her not just her being alive up to the end. With Katie Cassidy set to appear across all shows in some manner, maybe Siren, or another version from another Earth or just brought back from the dead I wouldn't be surprised if they finally pushed the canon pairing between the two and not stray the way they've done so. I like to imagine a combination of the bad job they did in season 4, which they're openly admitting to now, and some instruction from higher up (maybe Johns) they'll bring the relationship aspect closer to the everything else Green Arrow related. Especially since Arrow is the only Green Arrow related property that tried to go against the pairing and suffered for it.

hom3land

Fun episode... But just couldn't shake that they basically stole the Saints row 4 plot. But maybe that's not really that original of an idea in the first place.

strafer

I think they could have added a bit more power to the landing there. Kick some stuff up.

XHYiJYw.gif

cUnUcOc.gif

ZeroX03

Banned
Roy was originally going to be in the episode as Thea's dream boyfriend, they still met each other and fell in love.

But Colton couldn't make it, so they had CG using footage from old episodes. That's why he looked weird.

GulAtiCa

Roy was originally going to be in the episode as Thea's dream boyfriend, they still met each other and fell in love.

But Colton couldn't make it, so they had CG using footage from old episodes. That's why he looked weird.

Damn, that would have been perfect.

strafer

Tommy was not copy paste right?

AV Club gives it an A

My favorite part of the review is at the end:

AV Club said:
Never forget: Thea is Arrow’s true biggest badass. She ripped herself away from the fantasy world even after Oliver left her to it, faced down the illusion of her father, and figured out how to fly a damn alien spaceship. Makes you think the only reason she retired was to give everyone else a chance.

Sephzilla

AV Club gives it an A

My favorite part of the review is at the end:

I feel like this is a very questionable perspective on Thea in this episode. Her decision to rip herself away from the simulation only looks noble when you ignore the fact that she was extremely selfish moments beforehand and wanted to stay knowing it wasn't real. And she didn't learn how to fly an alien spaceship, she hit a button and then everyone prayed to not get blown up.

Top Bottom