• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow S5 |OT| You thought you were out, but Manu Bennett pulls you back in.

Sephzilla

My prediction is that Laurel is somehow a meld of old Laurel and Earth-2 Black Siren. Earth-2 didn't get affected by Flashpoint at all, but Black Siren was on Earth-1 when it went down

In other words - it's somehow Barry's fault.

My prediction is that Laurel is somehow a meld of old Laurel and Earth-2 Black Siren. Earth-2 didn't get affected by Flashpoint at all, but Black Siren was on Earth-1 when it went down

In other words - it's somehow Barry's fault.

It may be Barry's fault; but bringing Laurel back might be the first W Barry has got all season.

That depends. We don't know what Laurel is there for.

True. I'm just happy to have Katie Cassidy back on the show. Always enjoyed her since she could be considered a Scream Queen with all her horror & horror-related work. Even looking forward to her Manson Family knock-off movie she has out soon.

I don't know what they've been smoking there but this season has been amazing so far! I never thought I'd see the show recover from that shit that was season 4!

There's a Speed Weed joke in here somewhere.

Ithil

Well we got to the mid-season finale with Arrow at 9 for 9. They may still muck it up with a bad Prometheus twist or ridiculous retcon for Laurel, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt this season.

Sephzilla

Yeah, I'm still a little worried about the second half of the season simply because that's where the poorer stuff seems to pop up. Season 3 was pretty solid and then that season fell off a cliff in the second half after the midseason finale.

Yeah, I'm still a little worried about the second half of the season simply because that's where the poorer stuff seems to pop up. Season 3 was pretty solid and then that season fell off a cliff in the second half after the midseason finale.

I see what you did there.

death.gif

I'm quite disappointed Laurel is back, she's had some of the worst storylines over the course of the series and ever since her death the show has really improved.

Hopefully she's Black Siren or at the very least a meta, at least that'll bring a new dynamic if she's sticking around.

Sephzilla

I don't think the shows increase in quality and the lack of Laurel are linked at all, honestly. The show's improvements came from them giving Oliver a bit of his edge back, downplaying some of the excessive drama, grounding everything a bit more, and reigning in Felicity and making her more of a supporting character again instead of a co-lead. I think most people would actually agree that Laurel's character development was one of the few upsides of season 4.

I don't think the shows increase in quality and the lack of Laurel are linked at all, honestly. The show's improvements came from them giving Oliver a bit of his edge back, downplaying some of the excessive drama, grounding everything a bit more, and reigning in Felicity and making her more of a supporting character again instead of a co-lead. I think most people would actually agree that Laurel's character development was one of the few upsides of season 4.

I think she's had some of the most development of any character, outside of Ollie. From working at CNRI, to learning about her sister being alive, discovering the truth about Ollie, her alcoholism, starting her training, losing her sister again, becoming the Black Canary. She's had tons of ups and downs throughout the show. For the way she's been handled at times, they've still done a pretty good job giving her a lot of growth throughout the series as a whole.

Joni

And that really only started when she was on death's door.

So, for the season finale, I'm thinking Ollie will beat Prometheus but choose not to kill him, but Vigilante will show up and cap his ass.

Also, yeah. Laurel's problems were always due to bad writing and/or her character not having much to do. As we've been seeing this season, so far, with how they're writing Felicity, they've made a lot of headway into addressing the bad writing, and since Katie Cassidy is on that weird, multi-series contract this year, they can just have her not even be around when there's nothing for her to do.

Magwik

Banned
I really hope Claybourne isn't who Prometheus is. It really has no impact on the viewers since the past events that led up to it were off screen in S1. Still on the Tommy train.

wamberz1

I'd just like to mention that I thought the seen with Oliver walking through the facility he previously shot up was fantastic.

Sephzilla

So. I'm just throwing this out there.

Chesthair was blacking out for periods of time and waking up different places, and even with a wound and a throwing star in his apartment. Julian over on The Flash
was basically experiencing the same things when he became Alchemy.
And now Laurel has appeared out of nowhere in front of Oliver. What if
there's actually some Philosopher Stone shit happening?

Chesthair was blacking out for periods of time and waking up different places, and even with a wound and a throwing star in his apartment. Julien over on The Flash

So are you suggesting that
Lance was Prometheus in Flashpoint
?

I personally think using something like
the Stone
from Flash as a plot device to drive such a big returns/twists in Arrow doesn't seem like something they would do. Of course with something like Flashpoint it's impossible to ignore, but they tend to avoid cross-pollinating so much that people who don't watch both will be completely out of the loop or confused. The Savitar stuff seems like too much of a "Flash thing" to really drive an entire season's worth of twists and turns on Arrow.

Sephzilla

So are you suggesting that
Lance was Prometheus in Flashpoint
?

My thought process is that maybe Prometheus
is not one person and maybe it's some kind of title, like Alchemy is the title for the herald of Savatar. It just seems too coincidental that Quinten and Julian are experiencing similar "blackout" incidents at nearly the same time. Plus we just had an episode of the Flash where a main character was seeing very prominent visions of a lost loved one, and now on Arrow we see Laurel coming in out of nowhere to see Oliver - after the Arrow Cave locks were changed
. Nothing's probably going to come out of this, it all just seems surprisingly coincidental.

Sephzilla

I actually think Artemis has a death clock ticking above her head. She's going to realize Oliver was right only to get a sword through her chest moments later as Prometheus betrays her. Her and Ragman I think are the two most likely to die.

Joni

Chesthair was blacking out for periods of time and waking up different places, and even with a wound and a throwing star in his apartment. Julian over on The Flash

He has a good reason for blacking out, he is blackout drunk. Prometheus was using that to fuck with him. Which is a storyline they seemed to have drop very fast.

GulAtiCa

It's funny. At the start of the season I thought Wild Dog would have been the most likely to be killed off. But after all his growth, I can see him maybe sticking around.

Wild Dog has had the most development in a nine-episode stretch maybe ever in Arrow. He went from being most likely to die or turn to what seems like the absolute most loyal member of the team. Love his dynamic with the rest of them, especially Diggle. Hope he sticks around.

Sephzilla

To further on my post from before - I can't help shaking the feeling that some of this shit is connected to what's going on over on The Flash.

• Quinten and Julian both have blackout periods where they wake up on different places and don't know how they got there
  • Cisco and Julian both saw visions of lost loved ones in order to get tempted by the Philospher's stone. The midseason finale of The Flash had Cisco seeing his dead brother. The midseason finale of Arrow ended with Oliver seeing Laurel.
  • Flashpoint got brought up a couple of times during the midseason finale of Arrow. Considering how Felicity's "every Wednesday" line ended up being super forshadowing, I can't help but think they might also be keeping Flashpoint in people's minds for a reason.

GulAtiCa

To further on my post from before - I can't help shaking the feeling that some of this shit is connected to what's going on over on The Flash.

• Quinten and Julian both have blackout periods where they wake up on different places and don't know how they got there
  • Cisco and Julian both saw visions of lost loved ones in order to get tempted by the Philospher's stone. The midseason finale of The Flash had Cisco seeing his dead brother. The midseason finale of Arrow ended with Oliver seeing Laurel.
  • Flashpoint got brought up a couple of times during the midseason finale of Arrow. Considering how Felicity's "every Wednesday" line ended up being super forshadowing, I can't help but think they might also be keeping Flashpoint in people's minds for a reason.

Point #2 is out, as far as being a
vision
She's real and not imaginary. A Clip on the CW App has Olliver & Dig talking about her.

Sephzilla

It's funny. At the start of the season I thought Wild Dog would have been the most likely to be killed off. But after all his growth, I can see him maybe sticking around.

Wild Dog is probably the least likely to be killed off because he seems like the most likely one who would die. Basically, a reverse psychology thing. He's the reckless one with the least amount of proper training (besides Curtis). Him dying is too obvious. I think Ragman is going to die because nobody is going to predict the guy with superpowers dying.

Point #2 is out, as far as being a
vision
She's real and not imaginary. A Clip on the CW App has Olliver & Dig talking about her.

Ah, didn't see that. Thanks for pointing that out

Realeza

Banned
I love everyone in the new crew. I really hope we get an origin episode for Ragman next part of the season.

Also, what are the chances of a Roy cameo?

GulAtiCa

Yeah, with Wild Dog not really being a huge team player and waiting, I still see him as one to die to being fool hardy and getting over his head.

Sölf

Overall this was a really good episode. I have to admit, I was a bit bummed when it was revealed who (or who most likely) is Prometheus. But what he did right after was really cool and he is a good villain.

Also, dat ending, yoooo!

Again, Berlanti and Co. tend to keep that level of cross-pollination out of the Arrowverse stuff because they admittedly don't want people to feel like they are lost or not getting the full experience by not watching everything. I think Flashpoint is an unavoidable thing that they couldn't ignore or else it'd essentially be worthless. But the Savitar stuff just doesn't seem like something they'd assume Arrow viewers know or try to spring on them in some big twist.

Is it impossible you are right? No, but it would go against what all the showrunners have said and shown their philosophy to be with these shows are.

And plus, the
illusions of the Stone aren't actual physical manifestations, they are essentially ghosts. Based off episode previews, Laurel is every bit an actual physical person.

GulAtiCa

Sölf;226257251 said:
Overall this was a really good episode. I have to admit, I was a bit bummed when it was revealed who (or who most likely) is Prometheus. But what he did right after was really cool and he is a good villain.

Also, dat ending, yoooo!
They purposely never did unmask him. So right now they are just assuming who he is. So could still be someone else.

Sephzilla

Honestly, I actually think everyone from the new team could die, except maybe Curtis. Wild Dog isn't a team player, lacks a lot of training compared to the others, and gets himself in over his head way too much. Plus, considering he's just a gunman, he's doesn't add to the team that much when Diggle is around. Artemis is totally going to get betrayed by Prometheus at some point. And Ragman might die because Artemis might clue Prometheus in on the fact that Ragman has no powers when he's out of costume.

Is it impossible you are right? No, but it would go against what all the showrunners have said and shown their philosophy to be with these shows are.

Yeah I'm most likely just over-thinking it. It's just a neat series of coincidences. Although Laurel getting into the Arrow Cave even though the security codes had been changed due to Artemis is suspicious.

Sölf

They purposely never did unmask him. So right now they are just assuming who he is. So could still be someone else.

I hope so. It would just be strange if
it was "only" the son of someone Ollie killed during the time S1 took place, which we didn't even know until this episode.
Seems so random and out of place.

GulAtiCa

Sölf;226257447 said:
I hope so. It would just be strange if
it was "only" the son of someone Ollie killed during the time S1 took place, which we didn't even know until this episode.
Seems so random and out of place.
At least even if it was just simply that, it still miles better then the stupid Zoom reveal.... Lol

Joni

Yeah I'm most likely just over-thinking it. It's just a neat series of coincidences. Although Laurel getting into the Arrow Cave even though the security codes had been changed due to Artemis is suspicious.

You know, villains kept getting in despite security measures.

Sephzilla

I do think Prometheus is more than one person. The "reveal" we got this episode doesn't even remotely explain how Prometheus got access to any of the old Hood arrows that the SCPD had stored away nor does it explain how Prometheus found out Queen was the Arrow, or how he found out about The List.

You know, villains kept getting in despite security measures.

Oh, she just used the Malcom Merlyn door? Makes sense.

Top Bottom