• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

V_Arnold

Why do people keep repeating Lazarus Pit as a thing?

Malcolm Merlyn states: "There are places in the world where death is but an illusion. I have been to one(1). I have learned to be very convincing.(2)"

(1) is what people focus on, but they should not. If the pit were the answer, (2) should not have been said.

Which means he was trained to fake his death, that is it.
That does not mean there is no Lazarus pit, but it means that this is not a confirmation that there is.

Mario007

Why do people keep repeating Lazarus Pit as a thing?

Malcolm Merlyn states: "There are places in the world where death is but an illusion. I have been to one(1). I have learned to be very convincing.(2)"

(1) is what people focus on, but they should not. If the pit were the answer, (2) should not have been said.

Which means he was trained to fake his death, that is it.
That does not mean there is no Lazarus pit, but it means that this is not a confirmation that there is.

I think it's cause Merlyn came alive a couple of episodes after Sarah came alive so the two were kinda lumped together and really the only logical explanation for Sarah is Lazarus Pit.

Emwitus

Just watched the ep.. had some really weird pacing and lines. They spent a lot of time in weird spots. The Island had a bit too much time spent pre-action this ep. Introducing more characters whose payoff could be who knows when. The weirdest spot to me though was Ollie calling Felicity. A lot of time spent showing the scene of what the Arrow crew does when Ollie's busy brooding and telling his mother how angry he is with her... only to have a really oddly fast reveal from Sara of "That's Slade Wilson and if we don't stop him he'll kill Olivers entire family!" It was delivered quickly but without real urgency or weight.I don't know it might just be nitpicky but it's something that immediately stood out and bugged me.

Action was good when it got going though.
Exactly how I feel. Terrible acting

TS-08

Harley has a very iconic look and history with the Suicide Squad. Considering the context she was shown in it kinda has to be her, and I doubt it's just going to be a small cameo considering she's in the preview. If it was just going to be a 10 second cameo why put her in the preview at all? Why not just leave it to be discovered during the episode?

This is exactly my take.
She has been briefly teased in two previews now. You don't do that for an Easter Egg. Heck that goes against the point of an Easter Egg. And if it's just a brief appearance (quick introduction, short background, maybe a couple lines of dialogue), I still think they have bigger plans for her. In this episode, I could see Waller deciding Harley shouldn't be used for their current mission because of her mental state, and I predict it will be buildup for some future Suicide Squad episode where things are dire and they use her because it's an all-hands-on-deck situation. Teasing her in this way to never utilize the character for more than brief fan service would be an obvious ploy that is beneath this show, in my opinion.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just watched last night's episode- so good! Fucking Deathstroke, man, so evil. Really, really evil in the episode, solid villain.

Hyped for the rest of the season now too!

Blader

The most distracting thing about that Sara scene was that she looked directly into the camera. :lol

Anyway, I enjoyed the ep. I think Slade's vengeance over Shado is way too overblown, even for a CW show, but I guess it makes a little more sense if you factor in the Mirakuro fucking up his head.

Error said:
I don't buy that it's just Shado. I mean Oliver took one of his eyes and presumably left him for dead too. Sure the Shado thing is a big reason but I doubt it's the only reason.

The writers are really treating it as the only reason though, or at least the only reason Slade cares about. It would pretty easy to drop in any of those factors -- betrayal, loss of eye, etc. -- but it's just Shado that gets repeated over and over.

Effect

That close up and looking right at the camera was a bad directing choice. It looked bad in the preview and was hoping it would have turned out better in the episode. It didn't and I don't really blame the actress on that but the director. That was just a bad decision but it made her look bad as a result. It wouldn't have worked out well had it been anyone else either.

Panzon

Outside of that line, Caity Lotz doesn't bother me at all. It was bad, but that happens to everyone.

I agree with this. I'm hoping she'll get better as the show progresses like Stephen Amell has done from the first episode til now.

Loved all the island stuff and Slade continuing to be fucking BOSS. I find it hilarious how Manu Bennett's acting is so above everyone else on this show though

TS-08

The most distracting thing about that Sara scene was that she looked directly into the camera. :lol

Anyway, I enjoyed the ep. I think Slade's vengeance over Shado is way too overblown, even for a CW show, but I guess it makes a little more sense if you factor in the Mirakuro fucking up his head.

The writers are really treating it as the only reason though, or at least the only reason Slade cares about. It would pretty easy to drop in any of those factors -- betrayal, loss of eye, etc. -- but it's just Shado that gets repeated over and over.

His getting stabbed in the eye obviously is a big motivation, since Slade's plan ultimately culminates in stabbing Ollie in the eye as the final act of revenge. Also, in that long trailer
there is a person in a chair that Ollie spins around to reveal an arrow sticking out of what is presumably his eye, the implication being it is a message from Slade.
Mirakuru + Shado is what caused Slade's turn, but it isn't the only thing motivating his actions.

TS-08

I don't know how The CW works. Is this bad? Or can it be explained by outside factors (other than breaks)?

Has the CW been showing college basketball games during the normal Arrow time slot in some places? I thought I've read posts from some people complaining about this in the past. I have no idea if that's the case or if it would affect the ratings to any degree, just throwing out something I seem to remember.

NaviLink

Just finished watching the episode and I gotta admit, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, especially after all the hype. It wasn't bad either, but for some reason I enjoyed it less. Maybe because I knew going in pretty much what was going to happen? I'm kinda surprised I didn't like it as much as I anticipated.

ibmqVdJUnoECXW.gif

Why didn't any arrows fall out of the quiver as he was hanging upside down?

Malmorian

That part where Sara tells them about Slade was soooooo bad.

Probably my favorite episode of Arrow..ever. ^ this was the ONLY scene that pulled me out of the moment, and as several people have stated so far it was by far her worst performance I think. Also only 20 seconds of Felicity?! My heart burns for her :/

Effect

I agree the breaks are likely hurting it. If there was a brand new episode next week instead of another break I would expect the ratings would have been higher. In fact it might be better for them to simply air yesterday's episode again next week so they can properly lead into the new episode the week after but they are likely going to have an older episode. Stuff like that does not help with ratings.

So Deathstroke was lying about not having been married or having children before, right? Or is that a retcon? I could have sworn he mentioned his son Joe in the first season.

Edit:
In the TV series Arrow episode titled The Odyssey, Jericho is alluded to when Slade Wilson mentions that Billy Wintergreen is the godfather of his son "Joe".

Yup I knew I wasn't crazy.

Usually the CW has a 3 week or so break in March but the Olympics caused them to split that up. I'm sure the ratings will pick back up in the final stretch with no breaks.

Also, Slade continues his trend of buttoning up his suit as he makes threats.
"Not yet, kid. I still need to meet the rest of your family." (buttons suit. Boss mode dial does a complete revolution then lands back on 11)

Also, Slade continues his trend of buttoning up his suit as he makes threats.
"Not yet, kid. I still need to meet the rest of your family." (buttons suit. Boss mode dial does a complete revolution then lands back on 11)

It is so fucking unfair for one individual to have this much swagger.

He is the Goku of swagger, good Christ.

Usually the CW has a 3 week or so break in March but the Olympics caused them to split that up. I'm sure the ratings will pick back up in the final stretch with no breaks.

Do they normally repeat episodes? Or can you watch all the CW stuff online? Would be bad if a lot of people missed such a plot heavy episode.

Pics_nao

Just watched the episode. Sweet lord that Sarah scene was awful and I'm so glad that I'm not the only person who thought so >_>

Soybean

Just finished watching the episode and I gotta admit, it wasn't as good as I'd hoped, especially after all the hype. It wasn't bad either, but for some reason I enjoyed it less. Maybe because I knew going in pretty much what was going to happen? I'm kinda surprised I didn't like it as much as I anticipated.
Same here on all points. The action scenes were pretty great, but as far as plot development goes, it wasn't exciting. I was actually more interested in the background characters (Russian guy, missionary, mouse guy) than getting more of what I knew would happen: Slade is in Starling now; at some point in the past he turned against Oliver.

Plus like many others in this thread I find Slade's rage over Shado really unconvincing. Ivo was going to kill someone and it would've been awful either way. Focus your rage on him.

TS-08

Same here on all points. The action scenes were pretty great, but as far as plot development goes, it wasn't exciting. I was actually more interested in the background characters (Russian guy, missionary, mouse guy) than getting more of what I knew would happen: Slade is in Starling now; at some point in the past he turned against Oliver.

Plus like many others in this thread I find Slade's rage over Shado really unconvincing. Ivo was going to kill someone and it would've been awful either way. Focus your rage on him.

Slade is mad at everyone though. He wants to make everyone involved pay. You say he should focus his rage, but that's exactly what the Mirakuru prevents him from doing. I feel like the show has gone out of its way to portray that idea.

Wiktor

Slade is mad at everyone though. He wants to make everyone involved pay. You say he should focus his rage, but that's exactly what the Mirakuru prevents him from doing. I feel like the show has gone out of its way to portray that idea.

Yeah. I don't know why some people assume Slade is at this point capable of fair and logical thinking. The last scene in the ship drilled this idea hard. He just doesn't care. He's just venting his rage and anything that is in front of him,.

Pretty much.

Oliver: "I was trying to save Sarah. But I didn't want Shado to die, I cared for her too, you know that."

Slade: "I don't care."

Yeah. I don't know why some people assume Slade is at this point capable of fair and logical thinking. The last scene in the ship drilled this idea hard. He just doesn't care. He's just venting his rage and anything that is in front of him,.

And it's just gotten worse over the next half-decade. Jeez.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom