• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, this episode was hit or miss with me. It felt rushed in a way, like so many things took place that it was hard to digest. I guess that's the danger of the majority of the episode being devoted to the island storyline, because we usually only get it in very small little segments.

And Sarah's line sounded like it was written just so it could be used in promos. It just seemed overly dramatic and inauthentic to the moment.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Same here on all points. The action scenes were pretty great, but as far as plot development goes, it wasn't exciting. I was actually more interested in the background characters (Russian guy, missionary, mouse guy) than getting more of what I knew would happen: Slade is in Starling now; at some point in the past he turned against Oliver.

Think this is more of a problem for those of us that discuss Arrow on the internet and watch every preview/click every spoiler image. We all knew what was coming and so it isn't as exciting as it could be.

I love the part where Slade takes over the ship, I really got that comic book origin feel. This is how he becomes a villain.

The same again when Team Arrow assembles to "infiltrate" the Queen mansion.

I laughed out loud at that scene last night, the camera zooming, the way it was delivered and how it was said was pretty damn bad. It's like they did one take and moved on.

Snake

As much as I agree that Slade's Shado-reasons comes off as weak, Arrow's writers have a big out in the whole vengeance angle. The MIRAKURU has made Slade insane to a large degree, so you can always fall back on blaming that primarily.

lsKh2VC.gif

Bets on whether Island Ollie will go a step further and add levels to that so he can have a full-on tree-based salmon ladder.

Joni

Yep, breaks kill shows. Needs to be 13 episodes.
I would hate to only have 13 episodes for this show per year, so that I would need to wait an entire year to get way less. And the entire one episode per week experience is very good for this show thanks to Amell and really good trailers.

Chuckie

lol, reminds me of that fight scene in Crouching Tiger HIdden Dragon

I feel like I've seen similar shots in other movies too...the "get back here" grab in the middle of a fight always makes me chuckle

Except that scene in Crouching tiger is a thousand times better. Also in that movie the characters had the ability to fly/float unlike in Arrow.

Anyway...episode was a bit disappointing. A bit too much island for me...and while I can still believe Slade (whose mind is fucked up with drugs) would blame Ollie, it almost seemed Ivo and Ollie themselves believed Ollie was responsible.
The whole construction seems a bit 'forced'.

Sara's line about how Slade would kill everyone actually made me laugh. The line, the zoom...damn.

Just a minor dip though. I am confident next episode will be the bomb again.

Deadly

I don't buy that it's just Shado. I mean Oliver took one of his eyes and presumably left him for dead too. Sure the Shado thing is a big reason but I doubt it's the only reason.
Would be really stupid for it to be the only thing. The guy doesn't seem to remember he still has a family back in Australia.

After stewing on it overnight, I think that the Shado thing was just the last straw in a long line of things that pushed Slade over the edge.

He has been stuck on the island for years now. He wants off, and his best friend (Billy Wintergreen) betrayed him. Then in comes Ollie, who Slade is grooming to become a real man finally. They become brothers in arms, and then their first ticket off the island goes away, so he is stuck again.
Then you throw a woman into the mix, and Slade has to be hard up for any companionship by now. And that new woman falls for his new brother Ollie. Then he gets burned up and dies. Then the woman he loves dies. Just all of that piling up on top of his emotions being amplified by the Mirakuru drove him batty.

Then he finds out that his supposed best friend lied about how Shado died, and it was the cherry on top. Slade just cant take it anymore. He knows Ollie didn't kill her or want her dead, but he doesn't give a shit. It was just one more betrayal of trust in his life, and he has had enough. Slade has known almost nothing but combat and misery for years, and he just wants Ollie to feel it now. Maybe he is jealous that Ollie found someone he loved again in Sara. Just one more thing to push him over the edge.

After stewing on it overnight, I think that the Shado thing was just the last straw in a long line of things that pushed Slade over the edge.

He has been stuck on the island for years now. He wants off, and his best friend (Billy Wintergreen) betrayed him. Then in comes Ollie, who Slade is grooming to become a real man finally. They become brothers in arms, and then their first ticket off the island goes away, so he is stuck again.
Then you throw a woman into the mix, and Slade has to be hard up for any companionship by now. And that new woman falls for his new brother Ollie. Then he gets burned up and dies. Then the woman he loves dies. Just all of that piling up on top of his emotions being amplified by the Mirakuru drove him batty.

Then he finds out that his supposed best friend lied about how Shado died, and it was the cherry on top. Slade just cant take it anymore. He knows Ollie didn't kill her or want her dead, but he doesn't give a shit. It was just one more betrayal of trust in his life, and he has had enough. Slade has known almost nothing but combat and misery for years, and he just wants Ollie to feel it now. Maybe he is jealous that Ollie found someone he loved again in Sara. Just one more thing to push him over the edge.

tumblr_mxojbyv9um1t0bhcto1_500.gif

Someone draw in a goddamn tear drop.

I'm all caught up.

This show is incredible. Season 2 is leagues better than Season 1 so far. My only complaint is Slade. He's awesome and all, but his motivation to want revenge on Ollie is incredible weak. I don't buy it at all.

Black Canary is awesome. I loved her reveal. The show seems a lot more comic-booky with her in it, and I mean that in a good way. Oh, and Barry Allen had a fantastic introduction. Can't wait to see him in The Flash.

JDSN

Banned
So im guessing it will take like two hours to some random staff to find all those big ass cameras? They really need to do something about that ugly dye job on Slade, otherwise as usual, I get the feeling that the writers think the show is gonna get cancelled next week, they are escalating things to absurd levels while setting up new stuff in both past and future timelines in such a natural manner, they even threw in a dream sequence inside a flashback and no one seemed to mind. This and True Detective are the only shows I can think of that the flashbacks are so much to the narrative, and its cooler here since you get to see how Amell slowly and confidently turning playboy Ollie in The Arrow.

And OMG
Birds of Prey episode, im gonna laugh at all that bad acting between Huntress and Notblackcannary.

You know they are going to have to bring in Officer Lance to help with the Slade threat. Because how to you combat the raw manliness of Slade? With Chesthair!

And the big thing I want from this season sometime before it ends: when Ollie is about to put down Slade or Blood, he says "You have failed this city!"

We haven't had it at all this season (that I know of), and damn will him dishing that out after so long will be fucking awesome.

You know they are going to have to bring in Officer Lance to help with the Slade threat. Because how to you combat the raw manliness of Slade? With Chesthair!

And the big thing I want from this season sometime before it ends: when Ollie is about to put down Slade or Blood, he says "You have failed this city!"

We haven't had it at all this season (that I know of), and damn will him dishing that out after so long will be fucking awesome.

Slade has no stake in Starling beyond killing Oliver. No, no, it has to be Blood, especially with how he's trying to position himself as the savior of Starling.

And combating Swag with Mojo? That's a no-brainer.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Slade's blood his going to spill on Lance's chest and he'll be able to control his chesthair like Medusa from Marvel.

jordisok

Always kinda lttp with episode discussions and I only see em a few hours after you guys lol

Not the most crazy exciting episode as a lot on the freighter went down as kinda expected (apart from
Captain Slade
), but definitely a lot more tension then usual, even the most awkward moments usually last minutes in S2 but a whole episode in the house like that was a nice change of pace.

also thought the 2 (or 3?) "I don't care"s from Slade were great, could easily have been overdone or hammed up but pretty much explained his whole character post-mirakuru in a few words.

My gut's telling me that Slade is going to recreate Ivo's "choose the survivor" scenario with the Lance sisters, and Sarah's going to make Oliver choose Laurel.

Khezu

I think if they went down that route, I think Oliver would find a way to save both this time.

Still rooting for Slade to judas contract Laurel.

I think if they went down that route, I think Oliver would find a way to save both this time.

Still rooting for Slade to judas contract Laurel.

By Judas contract, do you mean Slade having sex with Laurel in her apartment while Oliver watches from the street with Radioactive playing?

Welcome to the new age!

Compare Merlyn's motivation for wanting to destroy the Glades, it really doesn't make much sense (to us) either.

But there are several parts in season 1 where Merlyn explains the love he had for his wife, and the horrible way she died. It all culminated in the second to last episode, where Tommy asks "So you kill them all?" And then Merlyn shouts "Yes! All of them should die!" Maybe I'm easily convinced, maybe it was Barrowman's slightly manic delivery, but it was enough to make me believe that this guy was crazy enough to do it. Even if it didn't make sense to us, I believed that it made sense to Merlyn.

Sara said it herself, love is the most powerful emotion :p

Drayco21

Would be really stupid for it to be the only thing. The guy doesn't seem to remember he still has a family back in Australia.

To be fair, in the comics
that family is his ex-wife and the only of his children mentioned has a pretty rocky established history with him, those relationships were probably pretty heavily strained even before the island and the Mirakuru.

Compare Merlyn's motivation for wanting to destroy the Glades, it really doesn't make much sense (to us) either.

But there are several parts in season 1 where Merlyn explains the love he had for his wife, and the horrible way she died. It all culminated in the second to last episode, where Tommy asks "So you kill them all?" And then Merlyn shouts "Yes! All of them should die!" Maybe I'm easily convinced, maybe it was Barrowman's slightly manic delivery, but it was enough to make me believe that this guy was crazy enough to do it. Even if it didn't make sense to us, I believed that it made sense to Merlyn.

Sara said it herself, love is the most powerful emotion :p

That's a pretty good explanation. Villain motivations make little sense to us sometimes, but for the villains, there is a logical sense to it.

Macattk15

Man.

Slade is such a fuckinnnnnnnnnnnnnng baby. Deathstroke is cool ... but I can't fucking stand Slade.

Being so mad over some island vag.

Clevinger

yep, I can see the dilemma...whose bad acting is more bearable Laurel or Sarah?

Not the one that gets all the cool dialogue and interesting stories and still manages to suck.

maybe it was Barrowman's slightly manic delivery

It was for me, definitely. The writers are lucky they got Barrowman, Manu, and to a lesser extent the guy who plays Ivo, to elevate/sell the crappy motivations they give them.

demolitio

I feel bad for you, the show looks fantastic in HD.

Yea, I occasionally watch it on the CW app since even that looks better and I'm amazed at what a difference it can make. I get a shitload of worthless HD channels but not one for a channel pretty much everyone has? So stupid.

This show really makes me want a Green Arrow game even though all the odds would be against it being a success. I love me some bow and arrow action and the melee combat could be fun too.

It was for me, definitely. The writers are lucky they got Barrowman, Manu, and to a lesser extent the guy who plays Ivo, to elevate/sell the crappy motivations they give them.

They really did luck out with Barrowman, Manu, and Dylan Neal. I think Neal's performance as Ivo is a bit underrated. He is selling the crazy very well, but you absolutely believe him in his motivations. Really, the only weak recurring villain has been Blood. Well, I wouldn't call him weak, because I have liked Kevin Alejandro on the show, but he just isn't bringing the crazy and awesome like the others.

Yea, I occasionally watch it on the CW app since even that looks better and I'm amazed at what a difference it can make. I get a shitload of worthless HD channels but not one for a channel pretty much everyone has? So stupid.

This show really makes me want a Green Arrow game even though all the odds would be against it being a success. I love me some bow and arrow action and the melee combat could be fun too.
Arkham City-style game set during the aftermath of the Glades distaster as Oliver patrols the crime-ridden streets. Freeflow-esque combat but wih more killing. Bow and arrow mechanics. Smooth parkour movement

We can dream, right?

Arkham City-style game set during the aftermath of the Glades distaster as Oliver patrols the crime-ridden streets. Freeflow-esque combat but wih more killing. Bow and arrow mechanics. Smooth parkour movement

We can dream, right?

God of War style game called Deathstroke. Each stage is a new mission to assassinate someone. Bloodiest game ever with the highest body count.

You know you would buy it.

Tabby

God of War style game called Deathstroke. Each stage is a new mission to assassinate someone. Bloodiest game ever with the highest body count.

You know you would buy it.

We need a bonus stage where you have god mode while Oliver just shoots at you with everything he has.

We need a bonus stage where you have god mode while Oliver just shoots at you with everything he has.

And all the cannon fodder enemies are just friends of Ollie's through the years and his family.

Stealth mission stages are Slade in a suit infiltrating a party and making panties melt all around.

JDSN

Banned
Yeah, Slade is totally the Drake of the Arrowverse, but I get the feeling that his arc as a villian wont end with him dead. Because 1. Swag. 2. Theres places to go after his revenge stuff is done. 3. Swag 4. Manu Benett is great. 5. Its a CW so unless he wants to bang any of their female/Gay/bi demographic eyecandy theres a chance he will live. 6. #Yoloswag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom