• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
that was full only 10 mins ago.
6026348cb0a511e3a9a4123ce35ac48b_8.jpg

Loved the suicide squad episode, was hoping for more harley, guess the world isn't ready yet. Wouldn't mind seeing a spin off or a few episodes per season dedicated to suicide squad.

Also dat Kahndaq name drop, first step to Shazam getting his own show (again). Wonder if Shazam/Black Adam are more likely to show up than superman.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Does this quick appearance signal a hint of things to come for Quinn on The CW? Not so fast, says Arrow EP and writer Marc Guggenheim, who told Collider, “I want to manage expectations with respect to Harley Quinn. She was always intended to be an Easter egg. I don’t want people to go in with incorrect expectations….”

nicolas-cage-laughwqznh.gif

Blader

So it's basically confirmed Waller was the boss of Eddie Fyers (first season, island) in this ep?

I remember them showing her shoes in S1, but them knowing eachother and Oliver only going to her because he doesn't have any other choice (implying he doesn't like her and probably knows she was the one who gave Fyers orders) pretty much implies we might see her in the island eps to come?

I didn't get that implication myself, but otherwise I agree Waller is probably Fyers' boss. I remember they focused her on her shoes in first appearance too, which I thought might have a deliberate connection.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
WB would never let them use top tier Batman villains, Rhas gets name dropped sometimes but I don't think we'll ever see Rhas Al Ghul in Arrow. Every League of Shadows related episode will probably involve a top ranking operative but not the man himself.

I like how they namedrop the writers of the suicide squad comic in this episode. The Ostrander suite = John Ostrander aka the creator of the modern Suicide Squad and there was something Giffen = Keith Giffen aka writer of the SS 12 issue miniseries in 2001.

I didn't get that implication myself, but otherwise I agree Waller is probably Fyers' boss. I remember they focused her on her shoes in first appearance too, which I thought might have a deliberate connection.

The main evidence so far seems to come from her shoes -

There's a closeup on her shoes in the scene where she recruits Bronze Tiger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOWp0tz0rPY

They're the same red high heels as Fyers' boss wore:
http://arrow.wikia.com/wiki/Edward_Fyers'_employer

WB would never let them use top tier Batman villains, Rhas gets name dropped sometimes but I don't think we'll ever see Rhas Al Ghul in Arrow. Every League of Shadows related episode will probably involve a top ranking operative but not the man himself.

I don't know,
we got a daughter of Ra's which is a pretty big deal.(despite her not being a huge deal in the comics)
for the sole fact that it directly ties into Ra's.

We wouldn't have seen Nyssa or Talia back around Begins days(even in cartoons)
either means WB doesn't care anymore or they don't plan on using Ra's anytime soon in the new Batman franchise.

Wiktor

I think Rhas is pretty good bet for S3 big bad actually.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
I think Rhas is pretty good bet for S3 big bad actually.

Yeah they've been hyping him up a lot this season, and Amell and several producers have been giving interviews saying something along the lines of "thankfully DC realized the whole Ras + league fit with our story so well and there's little reason to hold back." We'll see.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Yeah...after they said that super-powers wouldn't appear in the show (and then eventually they did) i don't believe anything the producers says.

V_Arnold

Yeah...after they said that super-powers wouldn't appear in the show (and then eventually they did) i don't believe anything the producers says.

Yeah, that is not a good reasoning for why he would not eventually come. Slade Wilson is the best written villain built-up in recent years. The only other villain being namedropped frequently IS Ra's. Which means that they seem to be heading that direcition. Now, there are other variables, but currently, they seem to head there. What they say is second to what happens on the show.

Wonder what extent they're willing to go with powers. I'm sure flash will stay pretty grounded, I can't see him traveling back in time or running across the world in under a second until like maybe the last season. Deathstroke does have powers but he's pretty light tier in comparison to Shazam and Superman. I just can't imagine flight and lightning bolts showing up just yet, the writes have done a great job of slowly introducing powers. I'm sure super speed is all we'll get for season 2/3, maybe we'll get a character that can fly in season 4.

The ultimate super power never showed up in smallville, so who knows what Arrow will get.

Wonder what extent they're willing to go with powers. I'm sure flash will stay pretty grounded, I can't see him traveling back in time or running across the world in under a second until like maybe the last season. Deathstroke does have powers but he's pretty light tier in comparison to Shazam and Superman.

Whatever they can do on the cheap.

Unai

Do you guys think it is possible that the green lantern John Stewart makes an appeareance in Diggle's flashbacks? Of course he would still be a marine and not a green lantern.

Do you guys think it is possible that the green lantern John Stewart makes an appeareance in Diggle's flashbacks? Of course he would still be a marine and not a green lantern.

If he does, it will just be an easter egg, because they wouldn't be able to do Green Lantern justice on a CW budget. Of course, they didn't do him justice on a summer movie budget either.

Wiktor

I think Green Lantern would make an excellent tv show. Much better than a movie to be honest. Not sure if CW would be able to do it, but on bigger network I could see it working just fine.

I really don't know how a Green Lantern tv show could work. There's really no way that ANY Lantern can fight anyone without extensive CGI work.

Wiktor

I really don't know how a Green Lantern tv show could work. There's really no way that ANY Lantern can fight anyone without extensive CGI work.

But the CG itself is pretty simplistic. No sophisticated detail or anything, just half-solid green light. And once you got the software for it right, you could easily pump out those effects on regular basis.

The best part of Green Lanter is the rich galactic setting. I just don't think this can be truly done in a movie. They are just too short.

Mario007

But the CG itself is pretty simplistic. No sophisticated detail or anything, just half-solid green light. And once you got the software for it right, you could easily pump out those effects on regular basis.

The best part of Green Lanter is the rich galactic setting. I just don't think this can be truly done in a movie. They are just too short.

A GL movie could work like Thor, every movie exploring a different world.

Cost is too high for CGI in what would have to be every single episode for every single fight. And very simple designs wouldn't make the show very enticing or exciting. I really can't see it working.

Wiktor

Cost is too high for CGI in what would have to be every single episode for every single fight. And very simple designs wouldn't make the show very enticing or exciting. I really can't see it working.

If they could make the effects of rings look fine in a cartoon network cg show then I don't see how they would have any problems with doing it in live action, on a lot bigger budget.

Wiktor

Thor is why I don't think it could work, because after two movies the setting is still barely developed at all. Maybe they will have bigger luck with Guardians of Galaxy.

Diggle finds out he was adopted, and his birth name is Stewart. The whole series was actually "Green Lantern / Green Arrow"

Joni

If they could make the effects of rings look fine in a cartoon network cg show then I don't see how they would have any problems with doing it in live action, on a lot bigger budget.
That lot bigger budget would need to be spent on all kinds of things that need to be a higher budget. Look at Game of Thrones, which had to save a lot of its budget for a single episode. Look at the awful CGI in the season 1 finale of The Walking Dead, or Lost which had bad CGI despite its high budget.

Didn't Olliver Queen in the comics meet only Hal Jordan and never Green Lantern? They could go for that angle.

no they are best friends. they know each other's identities.
I do remember in season that cop that had the hots for Ollie relocated to Coast City, home of Green Lantern Hal Jordan.

Wiktor

That lot bigger budget would need to be spent on all kinds of things that need to be a higher budget. Look at Game of Thrones, which had to save a lot of its budget for a single episode. Look at the awful CGI in the season 1 finale of The Walking Dead, or Lost which had bad CGI despite its high budget.

All of those shoot on locations though, with lots of props and varied sets. That's what makes them hugely expensive (especially GoT). Green Lantern would be done mostly on green screen. Look at Spartacus. It was dirt cheap to make compared to Game of Thrones. I think we finally reached that point where we could use this tech to make science-fiction show.

Of course, using this method for SF might not be feasible and that's why Starz canceled their awesomely sounding SF epic, but I just wish somebody would try.

Joni

All of those shoot on locations though, with lots of props and varied sets. That's what makes them hugely expensive (especially GoT). Green Lantern would be done mostly on green screen. Look at Spartacus. It was dirt cheap to make compared to Game of Thrones. I think we finally reached that point where we could use this tech to make science-fiction show.

Of course, using this method for SF might not be feasible and that's why Starz canceled their awesomely sounding SF epic, but I just wish somebody would try.
The Agents of SHIELD topic has also brought a fun screenshot. This is a show with a big budget considering the network and the companies behind it. This is what they're going to do: Picture from a SHIELD episode that has not aired yet: http://i.imgur.com/Ws2pS2p.png

Just like the good half of the Green Lantern movie! The space stuff was great in GL. If they had just kept it focused on him going through space and being awesome, the movie would have been so much better.

The Agents of SHIELD topic has also brought a fun screenshot. This is a show with a big budget considering the network and the companies behind it. This is what they're going to do: Picture from a SHIELD episode that has not aired yet: http://i.imgur.com/Ws2pS2p.png

I need to get back to that show. I gave up after about 6 episodes, and the general consensus is that it has gotten better.
As for how SHIELD manages to look cheaper than Arrow a lot of the time even if it is the more expensive show, I chalk it up to the production team on Arrow knowing how to work within the limitations and stretch the money. Limitations force you to work smarter, and while the budget constraints show on Arrow often, they still pull off a lot of stuff extremely well.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Diggle finds out he was adopted, and his birth name is Stewart. The whole series was actually "Green Lantern / Green Arrow"

I just came to this thread with watery eyes from a Sriracha chicken sub and I read that as "Diggle finds out he was pregnant". It goes without saying I made the funniest of the faces.

Wiktor

The problem AoS has is that it's not a comic book show. Instead it's a spin-off from movie universe.

Arrow embraces it's comicbookness. THey do it in a bit grounded Nolan-like way, but they're not afraid to give us domino masks and fricking Deathstroke in full costume. THey have their own strong visual style and vision and they stick to it.

Meanwhile Agents of Shield is forced to trying to recreate on tv budget what Marvel movies do with 200mln dollars. So it ends up just looking like cheap imitation.

Hex

Banned
Is that
Deathlok
? I'm glad i gave up on this show after the second episode.

The problem is, the people behind Shield have no respect or give a shit about where things come from or what came before them.
They will do what they want, and their egos tell them that people will eat it up because they have Marvel backing them and they can just throw a cameo in whever they need to and sadly apparently enough people still do.
Hell the fact that people sat through Thor 2, and Iron Man 3 say that people will sit through anything right now that Marvel shits out.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Hell the fact that people sat through Thor 2, and Iron Man 3 say that people will sit through anything right now that Marvel shits out.

Thor 2 and IM 3 were good :p

The main problem with AOS is that they have COULSON as lead character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom