• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

This was the tie-in to the rest of the mcu we all hoped for from the beginning.

Let's hope the AOS continues with this sorta thing.

To be fair to AOS I wasn't too fond of Arrow in season 1 either. I only watched it because I'm a superhero fan but I never looked forward to it. Was til really late in season 1 that I got on board and wasn't til they announced powers in the summer that I got really hooked.

Hopefully AOS follows Arrow and really picks up from here so we get blessed with 2 great superhero shoes (until the defenders on Netflix)

No. We assumed the show would tie in well with the films to begin with. The fact that it took them until near the end of the season to do it is actually pretty awful. What we hoped for from the beginning was that AoS would expand the MCU and give us stories with Marvel characters deemed too small or niche to be featured in the films. And the show has mostly completely failed at doing that, giving us only 4-5 of those instances (mostly poorly done as well) over 17 episodes.

No. We assumed the show would tie in well with the films to begin with. The fact that it took them until near the end of the season to do it is actually pretty awful. What we hoped for from the beginning was that AoS would expand the MCU and give us stories with Marvel characters deemed too small or niche to be featured in the films. And the show has mostly completely failed at doing that, giving us only 4-5 of those instances (mostly poorly done as well) over 17 episodes.

To be fair, it's supposed to be about SHIELD and its agents not just a superhero of the week. I'd like to see them introduce SWORD and the Kree and eventually Carol, but my expectations for that sort of thing tend to stay sane. We've gotten some things from the comics like Victoria Hand and Graviton and Blizzard so it at least looks like they want to get some things going in that regard.

Having the first season be nothing but namedrop after namedrop for the sake of grabbing fans isn't how you work it. Arrow was fairly sparse about it, too, if you remember (and still kind of is).

TDLink

To be fair, it's supposed to be about SHIELD and its agents not just a superhero of the week. I'd like to see them introduce SWORD and the Kree and eventually Carol, but my expectations for that sort of thing tend to stay sane. We've gotten some things from the comics like Victoria Hand and Graviton and Blizzard so it at least looks like they want to get some things going in that regard.

Having the first season be nothing but namedrop after namedrop for the sake of grabbing fans isn't how you work it. Arrow was fairly sparse about it, too, if you remember (and still kind of is).

I wasn't expecting name drop after name drop. In fact the amount AoS was namedropping how Coulson got stabbed or "New York" in the first half of the season was ridiculous. What I was expecting was interesting plots involving Marvel universe elements. That has started to happen in the last few episodes, which is good, but the majority of the season was completely run of the mill procedural stories with characters they never gave us a reason to care about.

Arrow, even in the early episodes of season 1, was still dealing with actual DC characters like Deadshot and the Royal Flush Gang every single episode. Plus they actually gave us reasons to care about the characters.

Arrow really didn't "take off" until around the middle of the season, but it always was dedicated to what it was from the very beginning.

AoS obviously has too many cooks in the kitchen and still has yet to find it's way. Right now it's purely riding the wave of The Winter Soldier and it's yet to be seen if the creative team can actually keep the momentum going more than a couple of weeks after that film.

Watching Arrow I feel the creative team has clear direction and goals and know what they are doing with their characters. Watching AoS I feel like the show has no real creative team or real direction. Just vague cookie cutter cliched arcs that could be in many other shows.

To suggest that AoS has now 1 upped Arrow is crazy. Even comparing the first 17 episodes of Arrow to all of AoS so far, that comparison would still be crazy.

Jonogunn

It's hard being tied down with so many restrictions. But I think the main problem was just the tone of the show early on. They didn't quite know what would pass as "good" among their fans yet. They soon realize the low key for kids crap just doesn't fly no matter how fun the avengers was.

I have some faith in them.

Then again I do get my faith restored quite easily (the walking dead finale)

Penguin

I wish Agents of SHIELD problems were simply it didn't have Marvel characters every week. I could easily get past that.

But honestly, several months and 17 episodes later, I just don't care about the characters and they really don't seem to be trying to fix that much.

These past few episodes helped by burying them in a much larger mystery, but they don't get a Marvel movie every month to inject some life into the show.

Either way, after seeing AoS I really don't wanna see Arrow connected to DCU or whatever. It's fine standing on its own, and allows them a lot more freedom it would seem

I wonder how Arrow will deal with the "why can't Flash run over to Starling every episode?" thing, because "why didn't X character help?!" is a consistent thing with the MCU

Tabby

I wonder how Arrow will deal with the "why can't Flash run over to Starling every episode?" thing, because "why didn't X character help?!" is a consistent thing with the MCU

I would imagine Flash would cross over every half season finale and season finale to help out with something that Oliver can't defeat on his own.
Imagine the Flash family together with Oliver, Canary, Arsenal, Speedy and maybe even the Huntress. Oh man.

Flash would be busy dealing with stuff in his own town though.

The back of Harley's head on the Salmon Ladder! Tara Strong's voice on the Salmon Ladder!

Actually, Tara Strong on the Salmon Ladder... I would pay...

Hex

Banned
Haven't watched this show because it seemed like a cheesy Smallville-type thing.

Is it good, like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ?

.... if you find Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. good , your barometer is so jacked that I do not think anyone can really tell what you would think of it.
Just watch some and form an opinion.

Tucah

you speak so well
I was having a shitty day and was really looking forward to a new Arrow episode tonight.

:( day did not get any better

Haven't watched this show because it seemed like a cheesy Smallville-type thing.

Is it good, like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ?

bender-laughing.gif

Wiktor

Well, I think that it will be adressed by the fact that Arrow deals with low level threats and thus he can handle it on it's own. But whenever there's true extinction level threat I do expect Flash issue to be at least raised and explained instead of being ignored like in MCU.

Well, I think that it will be adressed by the fact that Arrow deals with low level threats and thus he can handle it on it's own. But whenever there's true extinction level threat I do expect Flash issue to be at least raised and explained instead of being ignored like in MCU.

I think the issue will also be Flash's speed. After all, he could come to Starling to help and be back to Central City in the blink of an eye.

I kept avoiding this show thinking it was gonna be something I didn't like. One of my friends begged me to watch it and sure glad I did. I spent the past few days watching every single episode in a row and it really is freaking good. Surprised the heck out of me, the only problem is that now I caught up and have to wait like everyone else for next weeks episode.

Replicant

Has this been posted?

http://brief.promaxbda.org/content/stephen-amell-the-cw-facebook-social-media

Over the past two seasons, Amell has quietly built a reputation as a social media expert, just as the skyrocketing amount of original television programming has made the task of reaching and retaining viewers more competitive than ever.

But what makes Amell stand out is that he doesn’t seem to be doing it for the marketing lift—although that’s an added bonus. For him, it’s about taking care of the fans.

Wiktor

I think the issue will also be Flash's speed. After all, he could come to Starling to help and be back to Central City in the blink of an eye.

That depends on how fast he runs. In tv show I doubt he will be able to achieve speeds like he does in comic books, at least initially.

Plus Oliver is pretty arrogant. They can simply make him say "this is my city, I will handle it".

Whatever they decide though, I hope they will tackle this issue instead of ignoring it.

That depends on how fast he runs. In tv show I doubt he will be able to achieve speeds like he does in comic books, at least initially.

Plus Oliver is pretty arrogant. They can simply make him say "this is my city, I will handle it".

Whatever they decide though, I hope they will tackle this issue instead of ignoring it.

Bruce and Ollie(in this show) are really too much alike lol

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Plot synopsis for episode 21 is out

Please spoiler tag any discussions

Title:
City of Blood

OLIVER CONSIDERS HIS OPTIONS AGAINST SLADE — After Slade (Manu Bennett) threatens to take everything Oliver (Stephen Amell) loves away, Oliver decides the fastest way to stop further bloodshed is to surrender to his enemy. Knowing that surrender will surely lead to Oliver’s death, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) go to extreme measures to keep Oliver from confronting Slade. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) considers leaving town, and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) resumes her crusade against Sebastian Blood (guest star Kevin Alejandro). Finally, Slade unleashes his assault on Starling City.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/starksnewsandreviews/news/?a=97828

Tabby

Title:
City of Blood

Knowing that surrender will surely lead to Oliver’s death, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) go to extreme measures to keep Oliver from confronting Slade.
Isn't there someone missing from Team Arrow in there?

Title:
City of Blood

OLIVER CONSIDERS HIS OPTIONS AGAINST SLADE — After Slade (Manu Bennett) threatens to take everything Oliver (Stephen Amell) loves away, Oliver decides the fastest way to stop further bloodshed is to surrender to his enemy. Knowing that surrender will surely lead to Oliver’s death, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) go to extreme measures to keep Oliver from confronting Slade. Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) considers leaving town, and Laurel (Katie Cassidy) resumes her crusade against Sebastian Blood (guest star Kevin Alejandro). Finally, Slade unleashes his assault on Starling City.

City of Blood synopsis said:
Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) considers leaving town

Thea considers leaving town

Thea leaving town

wooo8nuo2.gif

I know Slurry won't leave town, but don't step on my moment. Let me have just a little bit of happiness.

Based on the spoiler above-
Thea comes back at the start of season three with her new boyfriend, a college student from Gotham named Dick.

Meanwhile, Oliver begins to notice League of Assassins warriors are up to something in Starling City

Magwik

Banned

Title:
City of Blood

Both Sarah and Roy are missing from the description ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom