• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARROW Season 2 |OT| Back in a Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega

Banned
tumblr_mwqps8vshK1rgbul6o2_250.gif

this thread is not for the weak

i wonder why this gif isn't used more

then again, that's also a good thing. I remember when Antonio Banderas was small time and now he shows up 125 times per page

I have returned. Is the creepy fan fic a regular thing here or was the foot fetish thing extra special? I am curious for more.

You traveled the internet... Now you must journey inwards... to what you really desire... it's inside you... there is no turning back. You reading the fan fic was not your fault. Your literacy is nothing. The will is everything. If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely. Are you ready to begin?

gazele

Banned
I have returned. Is the creepy fan fic a regular thing here or was the foot fetish thing extra special? I am curious for more.

Foot fetish is further than it usually goes, but it's here most of the time, I just see it as entertainment I don't think (hope) that anyone is serious about it, or about shipping because that makes discussions about tv shows the worst, I'd say it's mostly appreciation of beauty objectively, which is okay as long as its under control

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
You traveled the internet... Now you must journey inwards... to what you really desire... it's inside you... there is no turning back. You reading the fan fic was not your fault. Your literacy is nothing. The will is everything. If you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, you become something else entirely. Are you ready to begin?

Ah Batman Begins quotes. The superior movie of TDK trilogy. I'm ready.

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Ah I found it. Praise the post history function. I dunno, that one seems pretty tame compared to the foot fetish one. Nice ending though...

Oh there is more buried in my history. But I must warn you there is no coming back. You'll find the likes of the cross dressing Slade fic or the beautiful Walter Steele/Felicity or even the infamous Detective Lance Rubber Fist Oliver fic

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
i wonder why this gif isn't used more

then again, that's also a good thing. I remember when Antonio Banderas was small time and now he shows up 125 times per page

We should start a campaign to lobby Banderas into Arrow for maximum meme potential. It's not like he's involved in a lot of high profile projects these days.

Edit:
Oh there is more buried in my history. But I must warn you there is no coming back. You'll find the likes of the cross dressing Slade fic or the beautiful Walter Steele/Felicity or even the infamous Detective Lance Rubber Fist Oliver fic

Oh my god. That gif is giving me a bad case of the heebie jeebies.

One day some mod is going to click on this thread by accident and they are going to bust in like Russian riot police.

This is Arrow-GAF. Mods only come here when they're in force.

Flass.jpg

It's rare, but Wozzly always uses the perfect innocuous GIF to give us all the creeps.

IGN Article on what they want from the Flash series

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/12/14/what-we-want-from-the-flash-tv-series

If you've been watching Arrow lately, you know that a Flash spinoff is imminent. Actor Grant Gustin just wrapped up a two-episode guest stint as Central City criminal investigator Barry Allen, which culminated with the accident that transformed him into the Flash. Originally, Barry was supposed to return in episode 20 for a story that would have served as a backdoor pilot for the spinoff series. But instead, plans are moving forward for a separate Flash pilot to be produced, away from Arrow. There's still no guarantee that the Flash show will be picked up by The CW, but that would leave Barry's accident in Arrow as a mighty big plot point to just leave dangling. And given the popularity of Arrow, why wouldn't they?

While we wait for the network's plans for solidify and our first glimpse of Gustin in the Flash suit, we've decided to explore the elements we want to see in this new series. Arrow offers plenty of lessons to learn from when it comes to adapting the DC Universe to television, and with a little luck, The Flash will turn out every bit as stellar as that show has become this season.

A More Robust Rogues Gallery

Arrow is sort of a mixed bag when it comes to villains. The show features a handful of great recurring foes for Ollie and his team - Malcolm Merlyn, Sebastian Blood, Professor Ivo, and, we hope, the yet to be seen al Ghul family. And even Slade Wilson is being positioned as a huge nemesis for Ollie. But too often, the more minor "villains of the week" are bland and forgettable. The show has touched on characters like China White, Deadshot, the Royal Flush Gang, and Count Vertigo, but none of them really inspire the same sense of excitement or drama as the more integral villains do.

15-Flash-Rogues-610x345.jpg

We really don't want to see this same gulf in The Flash. After Batman and Superman, Flash, unlike Green Arrow, has easily one of the best rogues galleries in the DCU, and superhero comics in general, for that matter. Maybe guys like Mirror Master and Captain Cold aren't as well known in the mainstream as Joker or Lex Luthor, but the Flash rogues are been very well developed over the years. They have distinct powers and personalities, and they tend to complement heroes like Barry and Wally West well.

There's also the concept of the Flash Rogues as a legitimate organization. Currently in the comics, these characters have banded together with Captain Cold as their leader. They have a strict system of rules and moral codes that dictates how they commit crimes and how they deal with the Flash. This unusually moral approach to supervillainy sets the Rogues apart from many of DC's villains. We want to see a similar approach to portraying Barry's villains on the show. The villains should be fleshed out more than Arrow's tend to be, to the point where they can serve as the protagonists of certain episodes if need be.

11-Reverse-Flash.jpg

Arrow was fighting an uphill battle on this front from the beginning, as Green Arrow traditionally doesn't have many memorable villains unique to him. The same isn't true for Flash.

Less Emphasis on Realism

Particularly in the early episodes, it was clear Arrow was drawing a lot of influence from the Dark Knight films. One of the more obvious elements the show borrowed was an emphasis on realism. This version of the DCU featured no super-powers or aliens - just vigilantes who relied on fighting skills and weapons to get the job done. There were no spandex costumes and masks, only functional suits and hoods.

Even as Season 2 has slowly begun working the concept of super-powers into the mix, there remains an emphasis on presenting this DC Universe as a semi-realistic, plausible place. Until Flash was struck by lightning, all of the super-powers seen on the show came as a result of the drug Mirakuru, which is basically a super-soldier serum a la Captain America.

dde6c07cdcf0f955e72275a02ba5f05e-300x455.jpg

While that same approach could possibly work for The Flash, we fear it would be going too much against the grain of the franchise. Flash is not exactly a realistic character. He's a guy who dresses in a red bodysuit and runs at supersonic speeds. He has a giant treadmill that lets him travel in time. Sometimes he accidentally runs himself right into an alternate universe. You could downplay Barry's powers to the point where he's like Quicksilver, Northstar, or various other superhero speedsters, but that takes too much of the fun out.

We'd rather see the show embrace this more outlandish side of the DCU. The show can maintain just enough of a grounded tone that it doesn't feel completely alien alongside Arrow, but allow for greater displays of superhuman power and the sorts of characters that would never fit into Ollie's world. Something more along the lines of Man of Steel, perhaps. After all, what's the point of doing a spinoff if you're just going to regurgitate the same conflicts, characters, and tropes?

A Solid Supporting Cast

Easily one of the most successful elements of Arrow is its large supporting cast. Green Arrow traditionally has been joined by a sidekick or two - Black Canary, Speedy, etc., but the show gave Oliver Queen a much wider group of friends and allies. Already, his partner/bodyguard John Diggle has proven popular enough that he's been inserted into the comics. And the show emphasizes Ollie's family in a way the comics never really did.

impulse_kid_flash_young_justice.jpg

We'd like to see a similar focus on an ensemble cast rather than just Barry Allen as a solo hero. And this shouldn't be hard to pull off, as Barry already has a decent supporting cast to pull from. There's a reason they call it the "Flash Family." Numerous other characters have been touched by the Speed Force and drawn into Flash's world. The most notable (and popular) of these is Wally West, a hero who replaced Barry in the comics for several decades and became, arguably, a stronger character than Barry. And there are others, from the older Jay Garrick to the time-displaced youngster Bart Allen.

Even outside of the superhero realm, there are love interests, colleagues at the Central City Police Department, and a wealth of other characters to bring in. We don't necessarily want to see the show replicate the exact makeup of the Flash Family as it is in the comics, but we do want Barry to eventually gain a support network to rival Ollie's. As much as Barry seemed to be a loner in these recent Arrow episodes, he isn't alone.

A Bigger Role for A.R.G.U.S. and Amanda Waller

Over the past few years, DC has begun playing up Amanda Waller and her clandestine organization, A.R.G.U.S., as their answer to Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. Waller doesn't like superheroes, she doesn't trust them, and she's damn well going to make sure they stay under control and are held accountable for their actions. Waller has popped up nearly everywhere in DC's New 52 comics, and she's played a similar role in Hollywood projects like Smallville and the Green Lantern movie.

Amanda_Waller-610x343.png

And it seems she's being positioned for the same role within Arrow's DC Universe. A.R.G.U.S. began to be referenced in Season 1, and Waller herself has briefly appeared once so far this season. She seems like a natural choice to act as connective tissue between the two shows. As much has we want Arrow and The Flash to do their own thing, we do want The CW to play up the idea that these shows are part of a larger, interconnected universe - one that will continue to grow through projects like Hourman.

If anything, Waller should and ARGUS should have a larger presence in The Flash. Waller is concerned with national security. A billionaire dressing up like Robin Hood and shooting criminals full of arrows isn't really on her radar. But a guy who can run at supersonic speeds and vibrate through walls? Villains who can travel through mirrors and control the weather? That's going to set off some red flags. Barry's clashes with Waller as she tries to either bring him under her wing or shut him down entirely can be a recurring conflict over the course of the series.

Barry Allen: Criminal Investigator

One of the elements that defines Barry among DC's heroes and even within the Flash family is his keen scientific mind. He's one of the few Justice League members Batman actually likes, because they have a mutual appreciation for detective work and forensics. Even Barry's brief appearance on Arrow showcased his intelligence. He was integral to tracking down the Mirakuru supply, and he invented a new mask for Ollie so he didn't have to rely on sloppy grease paint anymore.

There's no reason Barry's flair for detection and invention shouldn't be a major element of the Flash series. Everyone loves a good procedural, so why not a show that often revolves around Barry pitting his mind against the worst and most unusual criminals Central City has to offer? On Arrow, Ollie's method of detective work usually boils down to having his comely assistant Felicity hack into seemingly impenetrable databases and then having Diggle drive him downtown so he can go shoot some bad guys. How about the working man's superhero for a change?

And Barry's detective skills don't need to just serve as the basis for various "villain of the week" mysteries. We'd like to see the first season of the show revolve around the overarching mystery of who killed Barry's mother. These past two Arrow episodes certainly played up that mystery already. Barry admitted to having seen a mysterious blur when the murder happened, and Flash fans will know who the culprit is. Barry's newfound powers will open the door for him to finally solve the mystery and confront the attacker, but only after a few months of solid buildup.

the-flash-300x455.jpg

Alternate Realities and Time Travel

As we mentioned earlier, Flash's Speed Force powers occasionally allow him to travel through time and space, intentionally or not. That fact alone opens up all sorts of potential for the Flash series. One wrong step could result in Barry being thrown back in time, where he can interact with characters like Jonah Hex or Vandal Savage. Or maybe he pops up on Earth-3 and battles his evil doppelganger in the Crime Syndicate. How many episodes of Star Trek were able to get mileage out of these sorts of concepts?

And these abilities could be used to more subtle effect. Maybe one episode early into a season could see Barry accidentally stumble a few months into the future, witnessing a post-apocalyptic version of Central City. From there, the rest of the season could involve him travelling back and forth, trying to investigate what went wrong and prevent this future from taking place.

One specific storyline that seems well-suited for the series is Flashpoint. This recent mini-series (and more recent animated adaptation) involved Barry waking up in a world where Aquaman and his Atlanteans were at war with Wonder Woman and her Amazons. Various other heroes and villains were drastically changed. Superman was a lifelong military captive. Batman was Thomas Wayne, not his son Bruce, and his wife Martha became the Joker. Deathstroke was a pirate. The series saw Barry team with Batman and a ragtag band of heroes to set things right, only discovering at the end the part he himself played in the creation of this terrible world.

flashpoint-paradox-cover-300x380.jpg

Flashpoint could easily form the basis for a multi-part story arc, or even an entire season if the writers are feeling especially ambitious. The story would no doubt need to be altered to reflect which characters are available to The CW. But it would be really neat to see Flashpoint rejiggered into a crossover that linked The Flash with Arrow and Hourman (assuming that show does come to fruition). Ollie could easily fill the Batman role. Having occasional crossovers like this seems like a no-brainer.

A Superhero-Worthy Leading Man

There's plenty of potential to mine when it comes to a Flash TV series. But all of it is for naught if we don't have a convincing Barry Allen. Whether Grant Gustin can pull off the role as well as Stephen Amell has for Oliver Queen is still up in the air. Much has been made about Gustin's young age. After all, he was primarily knonwn for acting on Glee before crossing into the DC Universe. Can a young, fresh-faced Barry Allen support his own ongoing superhero saga?

We're hopeful. Gustin's Barry took a little getting used over the course of those two episodes, but he grew on us by the end. He lacked a certain physicality, but he also hadn't yet become the Flash. In a recent interview, Gustin talked about the intensive training regimen he's entered into since filming those Arrow episodes. He's busy getting into running shape before the pilot starts filming. So hopefully some added muscle, along with a bit more age and experience, will result in a Barry Allen that hardcore fans and newcomers alike can appreciate.

No time travel!

if they were worried bout having enough villains they shouldn't have killed Constantine drakon in the first episode practically off screen.
ridiculous

Hi guys, I catched up this show and is a incredible enjoyable one. I wasn't expecting much for a superhero show seeing how most Marvel movies turned on (and Smallville wasn't very good) but Arrow definetly....

My Holiday gift to you all. I give you my magnum opus titled "Smoaked Feet."

AsmJKji.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom