• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I guess? But they generally don't watch the shows then.

I mean, you say Flash is dumb, sure it doesn't have Breaking Bad writing. But it such a fun show with some amazing emotional scenes and characters that to me, it is an amazing show. I mean, the character development of Wells in Season 1 is top tier with amazing acting and writing? Hey, Breaking Bad may have better writing and characters, but they don't have people going to different universes and fighting sharks! I mean, how can a show that do that NOT be awesome?

I mean, you are hating on Captian Cold... Maybe you don't like cheesy things? Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Captain Cold are cheesy things (although intentionally). Even Arrow has had purposely cheesy things in it.

I mean, if you enjoy watching the shows regardless if you think they are good, whatever floats your boat. But I enjoy these shows as much as watching Breaking Bad, Sopranos, Carnival, and The Wire (with completely different reasons of course). So nah, I don't think they are shit at all.

Dumb very often is fun, I didn't see the amazing emotional scenes, most of the issues were also either asinine or simply once again dumb.

Not sure what's so amazing about Wells in season 1 either. I don't like the way Captain Cold talks the actor and the character are fine otherwise.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Other people.

We need no convincing that Gotham S2 is the real deal; it's self-evident to anybody who's watched it.

Like, I feel like I get more perturbed the more I talk to Gotham fans because they only talk about it like no one watches it. I've seen it all. I keep current with the show.

How you feel about Arrow each week is basically how I feel about Gotham.

But Gotham is the only comic book related show I see constantly brought up in other comic book related show threads. You guys even use the same marketing pitch, usually some mixture of the words "embrace," "camp," and "the."

It's just weird.

Nah , the current actor they have is perfect .
The actor played Theo Galavan don't have that imposing \ bad ass look to him .
Yeah, they're both really great at that type of role. I feel like the Galavan dude is better at flipping from warm and inviting to cold and ruthless at the drop of a hat, whereas Darhk is just premium-douche all the time.

Skux

Agreed that Gotham has the best pacing. Not trying to shoehorn in a villain of the week did wonders for that show.

Gotham can't be worse than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. at least, right?

Personally it is my fav comic book show. It's also the only one that any of my non-comic book fan friends actually watch, it works great as a type of detective drama.

If I needed rate them all based on latest series, be someting like

Gotham
Flash
Daredevil
Legends
J Jones
iZombie
Arrow
AoS
Supergirl
Walking Dead
Powers
A Carter

Legends has yet to run a full series but been great so far, J Jones could be crap next series
because Tennant was
a big part of it being good for me, AoS has got a lot better than S1/2.

ZeroX03

Banned
Agent Carter should get more love.

I'm an episode behind so I can't discuss in the OT, but it's probably my favorite Marvel Studios thing going.

Agent Carter should get more love.

I'm an episode behind so I can't discuss in the OT, but it's probably my favorite Marvel Studios thing going.

I need to start season 2 still, but I loved season 1. I am just a sucker for the character, and my wife loves seeing a kick ass woman on TV.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Is Agent Carter even on Netflix yet?....

I could have sworn it was, but I can't find it on US Netflix. And Hulu just has the new season. Bizarre...usually ABC programs end up on Netflix.

As far as the quality of these shows, I'd say Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl are all almost literally cut from the same cloth. They're cheesy and messy in some places. They live and die by how entertaining they actually are. But there isn't anything deep to any of them. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy them.

So the episode description is out for Arrow's 15th episode which includes
Vixen's
appearance...

“Taken” — (8:00-9:00 p.m. ET) (Content Rating TBD) (HDTV)
VIXEN JOINS TEAM ARROW – Oliver (Stephen Amell) realizes he needs help battling Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) so he calls in an old friend – Vixen (guest star Megalyn E.K.).  Using her magical ability to summon animal powers, Vixen gets a lock on Darhk’s location and the team goes to war.  Meanwhile, Thea (Willa Holland) has a heart-to-heart talk with Malcolm (John Barrowman).  Gregory Smith directed the episode with story by Marc Guggenheim and teleplay by Keto Shimizu & Brian Ford Sullivan (#415). Original airdate 2/24/16.
Surely surprised Malcolm isn't going to die next week.

So the episode description is out for Arrow's 15th episode which includes
Vixen's
appearance...

Surely surprised Malcolm isn't going to die next week.

It will probably end with Malcolm asking Nyssa if she'll give Thea the Lotus if he gives up his position as Ra's al Ghul and Nyssa agreeing

ZeroX03

Banned
It will probably end with Malcolm asking Nyssa if she'll give Thea the Lotus if he gives up his position as Ra's al Ghul and Nyssa agreeing

Oh god damn it that does sound reasonable enough for Nyssa to agree to.

How the fuck is there supposed to be lethal drama when Nyssa is all "hey Tatsu, how about we just sit down and talk this through rationally?"

Joni

I think you guys are just forgetting there are still many episodes to go before the death, anything that happens before 15-16 won't be the death.

- Nyssa saves Thea.
- Oliver goes after Malcolm, but leaves him alive for reasons.
- Everything goes good.
- Darhk is defeated.
- Malcolm does stupid stuff that leads to the death of X.
- Oliver kills Malcolm.

ZeroX03

Banned
I think you guys are just forgetting there are still many episodes to go before the death, anything that happens before 15-16 won't be the death.

- Nyssa saves Thea.
- Oliver goes after Malcolm, but leaves him alive for reasons.
- Everything goes good.
- Darhk is defeated.
- Malcolm does stupid stuff that leads to the death of X.
- Oliver kills Malcolm.

Malcolm's death wouldn't be the big death though. I don't think any of the characters would care except maybe Thea. He could die at any point really.

Joni

Malcolm's death wouldn't be the big death though. I don't think any of the characters would care except maybe Thea. He could die at any point really.

He wouldn't be the big death. The big death would be the person that he kills. And in revenge, Oliver kills him.

Nah. I've watched it all, am current, and can tell you that the majority of the show is still not particularly worth watching. It has some good and great elements and it's improved, but the show by design lacks ambition and what fans try to pass off as camp is only "camp" insofar as it's intentionally ham-fisted.

But I don't post week after week that I hate a show or try to make myself feel really super smart by nitpicking a comic book show to death, either. So maybe I'm the outlier.

lmao at this condescending mess of a post. arrow's nigh unwatchable in it's entirety at this point, but i'll refrain from saying you're deluded thinking otherwise.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
lmao at this condescending mess of a post. arrow's terrible bruh, but i'll refrain from saying you're deluded in not thinking otherwise.

I matched the tone of being told that I must not watch a show that I do in fact watch.

But I guess my broader point is that you can nitpick any of these comic book shows to death. I could do it for Gotham just the same as everyone does it to Arrow. These shows have wacky elements that require you to suspend disbelief in multiple ways many times during an episode.

But the difference is that I don't really see the point in posting about it in the Gotham thread. Why should I make the underlying, sometimes foundation-level problems I have with the show your problem? I'd be repeating myself week after week and you'd probably be going, "Dude really should find another show, damn."

What if...what if it's Felicity, and the Felicity sitting in the limo without a ring is a hallucination a la Shado, which makes Oliver more like Slade?

Kalentan

So... I'm watching the latest episode online... And guess what happened? They played an ad for next week's episode. Like, what the fuck CW? :/

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Malcolm being the big death of the season would be a cop out, in my opinion. No way is Oliver crying over Malcolm's grave, with Barry coming to lend support, and then another cry session in the limo with Felicity. I know they wrote the scenes before they decided who was dying, but it would be a lot of swallow.

Even though Malcolm has helped Team Arrow, I feel like they just tolerate him because he is Thea's dad and has resources. Felicity isn't going to cry about him dying, and I feel like any response above a "That sucks..." from Oliver would be insincere.

*looks at Detective Lance and Mama Smoake*

*throws $10 in the betting pool*

I haven't seen the ad so I guess it spoils a plot point opened by the last episode?
The ad opens with Nyssa telling Oliver to kill Malcolm Merlyn.

Malcolm being the big death of the season would be a cop out, in my opinion. No way is Oliver crying over Malcolm's grave, with Barry coming to lend support, and then another cry session in the limo with Felicity. I know they wrote the scenes before they decided who was dying, but it would be a lot of swallow.

Even though Malcolm has helped Team Arrow, I feel like they just tolerate him because he is Thea's dad and has resources. Felicity isn't going to cry about him dying, and I feel like any response above a "That sucks..." from Oliver would be insincere.

*looks at Detective Lance and Mama Smoake*

*throws $10 in the betting pool*
I'm going to take the less popular route and still say it's Felicity. The one you see in the limo is a hallucination, a la Shado.

This way, they can still kill off the character without firing the actress.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm alright if they kill Diggle. Normally I would be firmly against the killing of a black man, however I feel with the addition of Diggle's brother to the team a plethora story lines could open up.

Plus, the wise old mentor has to die some time.

I was looking up Onomatopoeia and read this

However, executive producer Andrew Kreisberg states his team changed their minds after reading Kevin Smith's statement that the character could not be adapted for screen.

Does this mean that he just would not be able work on screen or that Smith won't allow him on screen. I remember there was period at DC where they couldnt legally use the character but maybe I'm misremembering

With how different in the tone the show is now, I think he can totally work as long as there's no legal hangups

Grizzlyjin

I was looking up Onomatopoeia and read this

Does this mean that he just would not be able work on screen or that Smith won't allow him on screen. I remember there was period at DC where they couldnt legally use the character but maybe I'm misremembering

With how different in the tone the show is now, I think he can totally work as long as there's no legal hangups

I think Kevin Smith meant that he didn't think the character could be adapted on screen.

ZeroX03

Banned
Smith doesn't have veto rights on the characters. He just doesn't think the character would work on screen, and the producers agree. And I agree.

He's directing an episode of Flash soon, there's certainly no ill will with the Arrowverse!

Kyoufu

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm alright if they kill Diggle. Normally I would be firmly against the killing of a black man, however I feel with the addition of Diggle's brother to the team a plethora story lines could open up.

Plus, the wise old mentor has to die some time.

Why does he have to die? He should just go home and be a family man.

Gig

Why does he have to die? He should just go home and be a family man.

The wise old mentor always dies (Gandalf, DumbleDore, Obi wan kenobi, etc.). It's necessary for character growth, we can't truly know if they have grown unless the mentor who assists them (and lets be honest, a lot the time does most of the work) dies or at least is absent in their journey.

With that being said, die John Diggle!!!

Oliver needs you gone so that he may become a better hero!!!

Kyoufu

The wise old mentor always dies (Gandalf, DumbleDore, Obi wan kenobi, etc.). It's necessary for character growth, we can't truly know if they have grown unless the mentor who assists them (and lets be honest, a lot the time does most of the work) dies or at least is absent in their journey.

With that being said, die John Diggle!!!

Oliver needs you gone so that he may become a better hero!!!

Oliver doesn't need any more deaths to build his character. He's had his parents die, his former lover, Sara and more that I'm probably forgetting.

What Oliver needs is to give his sidekicks a vacation so he can go back to being awesome like in season 1.

Gig

Oliver doesn't need any more deaths to build his character. He's had his parents die, his former lover, Sara and more that I'm probably forgetting.

What Oliver needs is to give his sidekicks a vacation so he can go back to being awesome like in season 1.

Given that we know that someone will die I would rather it be a person of importance whose death will push the story and the characters forward as opposed to someone like Mama Smoak whose death would feel hollow.

Kyoufu

Given that we know that someone will die I would rather it be a person of importance whose death will push the story and the characters forward as opposed to someone like Mama Smoak whose death would feel hollow.

It won't be Mama Smoak.

It will be Papa Smoak.

Joni

Who would be the person that kills Malcolm if it is a him that doesn't have to be Darhk. Malcolm is wanted dead by Nyssa, and she doesn't have any important named men working for her that could kill Malcolm.

ZeroX03

Banned
My fun theory is still Malcolm gets Thea killed and the shows swerves focus to him.

I really hope it isn't Diggle. His arc can come full circle this year and as one of the most adjusted characters in the universe it would be nice to get a happy ending with his family. But with all these other black guys on the show this year, it's not looking good.

Joni

My fun theory is still Malcolm gets Thea killed and the shows swerves focus to him.*

I really hope it isn't Diggle. His arc can come full circle this year and as one of the most adjusted characters in the universe it would be nice to get a happy ending with his family. But with all these other black guys on the show this year, it's not looking good.

*At which point Roy is rehired to replace THea.

*At which point Roy is rehired to replace THea.

If they can't get Colton back, Artemis Crock or Rose Wilson might be a fun addition.

I'm wondering if Malcolm gives Nyssa the title of Ras all Ghul to save Thea, then resurrects Vandal Savage to take it back and loses the League to him.

ZeroX03

Banned
If they can't get Colton back, Artemis Crock or Rose Wilson might be a fun addition.

I'm wondering if Malcolm gives Nyssa the title of Ras all Ghul to save Thea, then resurrects Vandal Savage to take it back and loses the League to him.

Arrow and Flash badly need to mine the good shit from Young Justice (now on Netflix! someone make a thread!). The Artemis, Wally and Bart adaptations were all done really well. Although I suppose Artemis is kind of similar to Thea with the supervillain father. Supergirl and Miss Martian too.

If Arrow makes it to like season 8 or something they can bring back Deathstroke and his kids.

Joni

They would have to do more buildup if it isn't Roy. Then it has to be something for end of season 5 after a lot of training.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom