• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
I don't think this was posted.

#4.18 "Eleven-Fifty-Nine" Synopsis
MALCOLM MAKES HIS MOVE – Oliver (Stephen Amell) and Diggle (David Ramsey) learn that Merlyn (John Barrowman) is going to try to break Darhk (guest star Neal McDonough) out of prison. Meanwhile, Laurel (Katie Cassidy) gets a surprising offer and Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) has a heart-to-heart talk with Curtis (guest star Echo Kellum). Rob Hardy directed the episode written by Marc Guggenheim & Keto Shimizu (#418).

No bees mentioned, episode will probably be bad.
There's a good chance the death will be at the end of this episode.

Who takes the worse Ls, Barry or Ollie.

Both suck ass at anything having to do with relationships. Barry keeps getting betrayed by every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane he comes across, got paraded around Central City like a freshly caught fish after Zoom beat that ass and went to another universe and saw how much his life sucks in comparison to his double's.(he also managed to almost completely ruin his double's life)

Ollie, unemployed, family company is owned by the chick that left him. Has a kid he can't see anymore, had both exes talking shit about him in front of his face, got hit with that Superman level dramatic irony when Felicity literally walked away, had a goddamn mock wedding with said Felicity and was once again told he aint shit, his real wife is a lesbian, HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD.(Barry's mom is dead but it only counts if both parents are gone)

ZeroX03

Banned
Who takes the worse Ls, Barry or Ollie.

Both suck ass at anything having to do with relationships. Barry keeps getting betrayed by every Tom, Dick, Harry, and Jane he comes across, got paraded around Central City like a freshly caught fish after Zoom beat that ass and went to another universe and saw how much his life sucks in comparison to his double's.(he also managed to almost completely ruin his double's life)

Ollie, unemployed, family company is owned by the chick that left him. Has a kid he can't see anymore, had both exes talking shit about him in front of his face, got hit with that Superman level dramatic irony when Felicity literally walked away, had a goddamn mock wedding with said Felicity and was once again told he aint shit, his real wife is a lesbian, HIS PARENTS ARE DEAD.(Barry's mom is dead but it only counts if both parents are gone)

Oliver can still get shit done, including without a team. Arguably he's more competent without one.

Barry is just awful at everything, but with a more pleasant demeanour.

carlsojo

The episode was okay.

Positives:
Thea knowing/following all the celebrity couples was pretty cute.

Cupid kidnapping and murdering celebrity couples was such a cartoon villain thing to do and I loved it. Keep bringing her back! Maybe team up with Anarky.

Negatives:
The trial of Dami...ZZZZZzzz

Felicity drama obviously, but her being all peppy about moving out made me actually angry.

Flashbacks:
Are we still doing these?

So was that the worst episode of the entire series or am I just being overly negative?

Some eps of S3 were worse. Don't make me dig around to find them.

We need a Robert Kardashian and "Juice!" equivalent STAT

how about any time chesthair says "baby" or "my baby"

Supergirl has been the best DC show this year(haven't seen Gotham so by default it's #2)
Flash has fallen off a tiny bit, Legends has been boring and aimless and Arrow.... no. I still enjoy Laurel and Darkh has been fun, but it's the worst.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm watching the episode right now, but I just realized that if Felicity calls off the wedding, good etiquette dictates that she return Curtis' gift. 🙊🙈

strafer

the supernatural brothers mom is Cupid I just realised.

Amy-in-SPN-3-amy-gumenick-10280017-1280-720.jpg

Adoarble.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
When the writers said they wanted a more light-hearted tone, maybe they meant in the second half of the season? Lol. Getting Cupid and
Bug Eyed Bandit
episodes back to back seems a bit reactionary. Like maybe it wasn't fun enough, so throw some sillier villains out there. I don't mind.

insanekyo

Neo Member
Gotham > Supergirl > Flash > Arrow > Legends

Considering Flash is pretty high on my pedestal, Gotham and Supergirl is better? Maybe I should check those show out. I remember not being too impressed with Supergirl pilot. Also, why not go all the way. Where would Daredevil, agents of shield/carter fall under?

KonradLaw

It looks like Shado will forever remain the best waifu of Arrow.

And since she's dead I think Oliver would be happiest if he just shacked up with crazy female villains one one-nights stands. Both he and us would benefit from it

Grizzlyjin

I liked this episode. I didn't expect to after reading the reviews and fan reactions, but I thought everything was handled surprisingly well. The fake wedding made sense and was actually a good plan to lure Cupid. Thea had some pretty funny lines, and it was wonderful to see Laurel as a district attorney again.

Even the relationship drama was subdued. We got a glimpse of how things would go if they broke up, but obviously they both have lingering feelings so there are compelling reasons for them to be together.

Oh, and the limo chase was pretty cool. Good stunt with Thea jumping from the motorcycle to the limo.

this show is aggressively boring at this point. i guess i'll finish out the season but unless something great happens before the finale, i'm bowing out next season. i've already given up on legends of tomorrow and about to call it quits with supergirl.

strafer

this show is aggressively boring at this point. i guess i'll finish out the season but unless something great happens before the finale, i'm bowing out next season. i've already given up on legends of tomorrow and about to call it quits with supergirl.

You know; I've defended this show enough in the past but now I think you may be right.

It's not doing it for me anymore which is a shame.

Sölf

Considering Flash is pretty high on my pedestal, Gotham and Supergirl is better? Maybe I should check those show out. I remember not being too impressed with Supergirl pilot. Also, why not go all the way. Where would Daredevil, agents of shield/carter fall under?

The first Season of Gotham was okay. It got better at the end, but the first season alone is definitly not better than Flash. The second season however is completely killing it. It's unbelievable how good this show became.

Supergirl I also found rather boring at the beginning. Starting with episode 7, the show became consistently good and much better than the first episodes. I still have to watch 16 and 17, but it definitly does get better.

The newest Arrow episode was really boring. God, why?

The Hobo

I'm curious to know what the writers have planned for Dahrk. And I think the writers are also curious about that because they don't seem to have one.

The Arrow writers tackling a trial sure was something. I wonder if this leads to the HIVE assassinating Laurel. Personally, I'd prefer it if Laurel died falling down the steps or something. But whatever gets the job done, I guess.

The quick shots of Diggle driving the van in helmet look hilarious.

Drama saves the day! Ugh the relationship garbage is focal point now not Dahrk, not crime fighting, not the Arrow team. It's just so....bland and Felicity crying voice has to be the absolute worst acting in the show with attempted puppy dog eyes Ollie a close second.

DeathyBoy

Banned

Well, I for one can't wait for the Arrow S5 thread where the feedback is cut in half but people are having fun again. That or kill the thread entirely. At this point I'd take that over another fucking year of 'I HATE OLICITY' every fucking week.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
this show is aggressively boring at this point. i guess i'll finish out the season but unless something great happens before the finale, i'm bowing out next season.

You know; I've defended this show enough in the past but now I think you may be right.

It's not doing it for me anymore which is a shame.

i stuck it out with s3 but at this point the show is so meandering and pointless it's a real waste of time

even when it's on i'm barely watching at this point

Tabby

I hate HATE this Olicity garbage drama.

Edit: Gotham is the best DC show and by a long shot. Supergirl is by far the worst DC. It´s utter garbage.

Arrow is by far the worst DC show.

Gotham is still the best, with Supergirl and Flash tied second.

First few episodes are pretty rusty but it's been getting better with each episode. When a certain character gets revealed, oh man.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Daredevil, Jessica Jones & The Flash are the only comic shows i feel good recommending to others

Supergirl is on its way but i gotta see if it sticks the landing for season 1

havent watched Gotham yet but i will at some point

IconGrist

Fixed that for you :)

Not entirely sure about the whole order, but Gotham has indeed been excellent this year. The last batch of episodes is so damn good. The more that shows grows the happier I am there's no Batman in it. This allows the best thing about this IP, which is city and villains, to grow and be explored in ways that would be impossible with Batsy stealing the spotlight.

So you like Lucifer? I haven't watched it yet. Not because I've heard awful things but just because I haven't gotten around to it.

So you like Lucifer? I haven't watched it yet. Not because I've heard awful things but just because I haven't gotten around to it.

Lucifer is a fun show, largely on the strength of the performance of Tom Ellis, who is amazing as Morningstar. The first several episodes were a straight up police procedural, with one mystery arc, which wore thin but the last couple they've introduced several subplots that are bolstering the show quite a bit.

KonradLaw

Yeah. It's been really fun and it's getting better and better. Plus Elis is absolutely stunning in that role.

I'm not sure if it's actually better than Gotham, since I generally love magical side of DC more than anything else in american comics, so it might just be my preference, but it's been consistently good, extremely funny, with lead character who you can see slowly changing as a person and with long arc slowly getting stronger and stronger.
Plus it's beautifully shot. Second only to Gotham as far as visuals in network tv go and both easily reign over anything else in comic tv shows category

I'm not sure if it's actually better than Gotham, since I generally love magical side of DC more than anything else in american comics, so it might just be my preference, but it's been consistently good, extremely funny, with lead character who you can see slowly changing as a person and with long arc slowly getting stronger and stronger. Plus it's beautifully shot. Second only to Gotham as far as visuals in network tv go and both easily reign over anything else in comic tv shows category

I wish someone could explain the technical reasons why the cinematography looks so much better on Gotham and Lucifer vs. Arrow/Flash/LoT. IMDB doesn't have a lot of info on technical specs.

IconGrist

Lucifer is a fun show, largely on the strength of the performance of Tom Ellis, who is amazing as Morningstar. The first several episodes were a straight up police procedural, with one mystery arc, which wore thin but the last couple they've introduced several subplots that are bolstering the show quite a bit.

Yeah. It's been really fun and it's getting better and better. Plus Elis is absolutely stunning in that role.

I'm not sure if it's actually better than Gotham, since I generally love magical side of DC more than anything else in american comics, so it might just be my preference, but it's been consistently good, extremely funny, with lead character who you can see slowly changing as a person and with long arc slowly getting stronger and stronger.
Plus it's beautifully shot. Second only to Gotham as far as visuals in network tv go and both easily reign over anything else in comic tv shows category

Appreciate the feedback. I'll try to fit it in sooner rather than later. First things first, I have to see Batman v Superman tonight. The last few days have put such a question mark in my head about it but I'm excited and hopeful.

ZeroX03

Banned
Doesn't explain the camera, lenses, source format, video transfer, etc.

Well, yes, to an extent it does. They can't afford the same quality of camera, lighting and crew as the other shows. I'm not sure about Gotham's directors or production schedule but that could take part. CW shows are also very effects heavy and shoot to make it as easy on the VFX team as possible. They're also shot in Vancouver which has a very respectable production community but still not on par with NY or LA. Less money, resources and time equaling lower quality is pretty common in filming.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Arrow, Flash and Legends have much lower budgets.

True as this is, it does make me laugh that Daredevil has a higher budget and yet the cinematography/lighting is horrendous at points. TV lighting is weird as fuck sometimes. Same thing with Angel during the day, Angel S5 had one episode with a werewolf that was incomprehensible visually at points.

For all their faults, I can usually see what's happening on Arrow in the fight scenes. That's a plus for the show.

Oddduck

I wish someone could explain the technical reasons why the cinematography looks so much better on Gotham and Lucifer vs. Arrow/Flash/LoT. IMDB doesn't have a lot of info on technical specs.

Simple answer?

CoSA works on Gotham and Agents of Shield. But they don't work on The Flash and Arrow. Read how much visual effects work goes into a single episode of Gotham.

Longer answer?

The people who work in Gotham's art department have worked on major films like The Avengers, Ant Man, Shutter Island, Catch Me if You Can,

Some of the people who work on the visual effects for the show have worked on movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and Mad Max: Fury Road.

True as this is, it does make me laugh that Daredevil has a higher budget and yet the cinematography/lighting is horrendous at points. TV lighting is weird as fuck sometimes. Same thing with Angel during the day, Angel S5 had one episode with a werewolf that was incomprehensible visually at points.

For all their faults, I can usually see what's happening on Arrow in the fight scenes. That's a plus for the show.

Wow, I cannot agree with this at all. DD is very easy for me to see, whereas Arrow looks like a mess outside of the episode that James Bamford directed.

Simple answer?

CoSA works on Gotham and Agents of Shield. But they don't work on The Flash and Arrow. Read how much visual effects work goes into a single episode of Gotham.

Longer answer?

The people who work in Gotham's art department have worked on major films like The Avengers, Ant Man, Shutter Island, Catch Me if You Can,

Some of the people who work on the visual effects for the show have worked on movies like Guardians of the Galaxy and Mad Max: Fury Road.

Thank you! This is a great article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom