• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

abundant

Basically. The fanbase here probably isn't a good representation of the total fanbase of the show. We can pretend these are super macho shows, but they're soap operas with more physical confrontation. Nothing wrong with that, but the relationship stuff appeals to some people.

What people here need to realize is that the breakdown between female and male viewership for the CW is 52/48. Male viewership is growing, but the CW is still mostly watched by females.

ZeroX03

Banned
Laurel may have the most growth, doesn't change the fact that she was the most useless team member and least utilised in the story. Chesthair and Merlyn have far less screen time and do more, she was literally getting paid to stand in frame and occasionally speak a few lines that Diggle could probably cover. Her "big" storyline this season was to act out of character crazy to bring Sara back and risk lives in the process.

Also show needs more Olicity, let's get those ratings up!

I'm kind of amazed coming into this thread. For me there was no coming back for Laurel. I hated her because she was a shit character. Now they made great strides with her character but there's no coming back I'm sorry. I was glad to see her go. And now people are turning on felicity and mourning Laurel? How the tables have violently been flipped over...

Magwik

Banned
I'm kind of amazed coming into this thread. For me there was no coming back for Laurel. I hated her because she was a shit character. Now they made great strides with her character but there's no coming back I'm sorry. I was glad to see her go. And now people are turning on felicity and mourning Laurel? How the tables have violently been flipped over...
It's almost as if characters that get shit writing and bring the show down at their time are disliked, shocking! Laurel has been such a non-entity the last two seasons that she has had no positive or negative impact. Meanwhile everything involving Felicity has brought the show down.

I hope this is true and not a trick, he was and forver will be the inferior canary and Casidy is not good in this role (action), at least in my opinion.

The show is pretty bad right now anyway, by far the worst superheroe show on tv.

Magwik

Banned
Guggenheim on the possibility of killing Diggle:
Truth be told, if we were to have killed off Diggle, it would have had a massive effect on everybody, and it certainly would have had a huge effect on Oliver the most because this really started with Oliver and Diggle. Diggle was on board with Oliver's crusade since episode four of season one and that's the relationship that goes back the longest as far as superheroes are concerned and this crusade of Oliver's… One of the things that we have to ask ourselves is: Is this particular death coming at the right time? And in the case of Diggle, it feels like we had a bit more story to tell with Diggle, and we weren’t prepared to trade away those stories.
And Lance:
If were to kill off Lance, we'd basically be losing one of only two non-superheroes on the show who are regulars, with Felicity being the other one. Felicity is also member of Team Arrow, so [if we killed either of those characters] we'd be losing the one non-superhero or non-member of Team Arrow. Do we want to go forward without those tools in our tool-belt?
http://www.etonline.com/tv/186214_e...r_was_killed_instead_of_the_other_characters/

oOpYeBs.gif

The Light

Didn't do a thing with Laurel as BC but has way more stories to tell with Diggle? What stories? All dude had was suicide squad (no more thanks to WB) and hive plot (done this season).
Also those B.S explanations for Lance and Felicity smh. Might as well just said we need the Lance for Felicity's mom.

anaron

What?! She's a smart, strong and independent woman and doesn't need some whiny, lying boyfriend in her life. The fact that Oliver is crawling back to her is proof of that.
almost every episode since Season 3, her story has centred entirely around her relationship with Oliver and every episode features her crying over something (justified or not) and it's just completely brought the character down. Emily isn't a very good dramatic actress either so it's painful to watch.

Anything outside that, she's still pretty great
- but having to suffer through all that other crap
just isn't worth it.

Truth be told, if we were to have killed off Diggle, it would have had a massive effect on everybody, and it certainly would have had a huge effect on Oliver the most because this really started with Oliver and Diggle.
Oh yeah but killing off Oliver's childhood friend/the woman he loved for half his life, Thea's surrogate big sister and Quentin's daughter just has no effect on the other characters. I mean no offense to Diggle but his death would really only have affected Oliver and Felicity truly since he was never shown close with Laurel or Thea. I don't get this point at all.

Johndoey

Banned
What if the show goes super meta and it turns out some 5th dimensional imp is a hardcore Olicity shipper and has been slowly killing off characters or edging them out to further relationship drama?

KonradLaw

Variety for one. It creates different dynamic when there are only male regular cast members. The whole show becomes manlier, often in a good way. One of my favorite shows from couple years back was Human Target. It was incredible in first season and the three leads were all men. This is a show that was utterly destroyed when they introduced two women into the regular cast. They were actually pretty fun characters, but it killed the style and atmosphere first season had.

Now, of course, I don't want every show like this. I just like variety, so aside from shows with mutligendered regular cast I also want to see those with only one gender as lead characters, because it creates different dynamics and the more variety in tv shows the better.

The Supernatural deaths have mostly been worse than the deaths on Arrow. Simply wasteful for no reason.

Unless that changed in this season the deaths have been so inconsequential. How often did Castiel die by now? And when will Sam get laid again, dudes clearly pent up a lot of stress.

Aside from Oliver and Sarah, Felicity is next up in line when it comes to chemistry.

Oliver and Sarah had chemistry?

Funny thing is, I was starting to see the Laruel/Oliver chemistry in the episodes leading up to her death. Oh well.

The Supernatural deaths have mostly been worse than the deaths on Arrow. Simply wasteful for no reason.
Yeah, but that's what it took to fix the show in the long run. It was awful while it was happening, but new season 11 is better for it because it avoids all the dumb extra characters.

Effect

This. To be honest what the did to Charlie still pisses me off. Though you could have seen it coming once she came back. It's only a matter of time before Jody's time is up and that one is going piss me off again. To like Supernatural you pretty much should not get attached to any character that is not Sam or Dean. Eventually they're likely to be done wrong. At best you can hope for a decent send off.

- J - D -

I just caught up to the latest episode.

Man. After that was done I had a legit moment of reflection. One of those little moments of silent disquiet when unconsciously you find yourself staring into space and opening yourself up to self-loathing and minor internal crisis. Ollicity, man...I can't. I can't. I can't.

My next gaf thread: "Someone explain to me the long term appeal of Arrow."

Except now I'm on the other side of the looking glass.

Blader

Hey guys remember when Oliver's family had a company but Slade snatched it right out from under them and he was trying to get it back, but then it got rebranded and Felicity somehow got control of it and everybody was okay with that?

No?

Now that Oliver and Felicity have broken up, I wonder what Oliver's source of income is. How is he feeding himself? Who pays Diggle?

Everyone saying that Laurel was a non-entity or didn't do much are just exposing the writing on this show - Laurel made huge personal strides. She was the rock bottom character that got fired for substance abuse problems and turned that shit around to becoming the DA, but all anyone can remember is Olicity because that's the only thing that gets attention on this show.

As a DC character, Arrow barely scratched the surface of the Black Canary.

jdstorm

Banned
Supergirl, Flash & Legends are all legit good shows but Arrow been a mess since season 3

also can Felicity stop been so annoying

Since the 2nd half of season 2 for me.
Slade trying to murder everyone because he was upset that Oliver didn't save shadow ( Oliver's gf at the time) over Sarah was terrible writing.
It seems like whenever Greg Berlanti moved on to developing a new show... The previous one got worse.

Arrow S1 and 2 = Good
Arrow season 3 bad, flash season 1 good
Arrow season 4 bad, flash season 2 mediocre Supergirl mediocre ledgends mediocre

That episode was actually pretty decent until the absurdly stupid last minute

Skip the island parts (as always) and you have a great arrow episode. No felicity, decent action scenes, some compelling drama between oliver/diggle, hell Oliver improved his acting too

I liked it. So awful that they make Laurel fine and then she dies like a minute later lmao. Not only should that be felicity in the grave but also it's painfully obvious with that speech that she died to keep olicity alive

ZeroX03

Banned

I totally believe that this team has more stories to tell with Diggle than Laurel. If they have any good Canary things to do they'll rightfully go to Sara.

Now that Oliver and Felicity have broken up, I wonder what Oliver's source of income is. How is he feeding himself? Who pays Diggle?

Oliver always had a little bit of money.

I wonder how much upkeep is on the Arrow Cave. Can't be cheap, even without an Arrowmobile or decent security.

Felicity probably pays for it all.

If there's two things the Arrowverse doesn't care for, it's dealing with money and the logistics of time travel.

jdstorm

Banned
I'd argue that Supergirl got much better after the winter break.

Yeah, I will admit that felt a little harsh. Out of the 4 CW verse shows Supergirl is the only one I'm currently enjoying. It gets a lot right and has moments of greatness. But overall it just hasn't got there enough. I'm really hopeful that a 2nd season will see the show take a leap forward.

Also James "Don't call me jimmy" Olsen is the worst. He's almost as bad as an Arrow romantic interest

It was said somewhere I think by someone on the show that a broke billionaire is still a millionaire. I keep thinking Felicity should be the poorest one, Palmer Tech should be bankrupt given that she refused to fire employees when she should have. But then again Palmer Tech is just used as a setting for Curtis scenes half the time and never for an actual company.

Yeah... So Laurel didn't have any more interesting stories to tell but Donna Smoak a huge well of intrigue and possibilities? Chesthair is too important as an "outsider" or whatever we know the real reason they're safe is because they're getting put together to please the crowd they continue to insist they don't write for despite a mountain of examples that seemingly contradicts it. Diggle? What the hell does Diggle have left aside from potentially fathering another kid that won't matter to Arrow? If he said maybe, they're more blank slates they can do anything they want with maybe that would've been better but all his reasoning and justifications are eye rolling as fuck.

This show was never going to be on a Breaking Bad like level of writing or hell it's not even in the top five on its own network that basically only has like 10 shows but goddamn... At least with The Flash as bad as the writing gets at least there's generally something to redeem it, even if not entirely.

And speaking of the audience, Arrow, despite the pandering to shippers is still a show predominately watched by males if the Nielsen ratings are to be believed.

I'd bet on it getting a Season 6, even. It's one of the top rated shows on The CW. And it's not even effects heavy, it's just mostly stunts. I'm betting it goes to whenever Amell's contract ends + 1 year maybe. Supernatural is on Season 11 and Vampire Diaries is on Season 7, Arrow will keep going until they lose Oliver.

I hope Stephen's has a movie career takes off beyond playing Oliver Queen meets the Ninja Turtles.

Since the 2nd half of season 2 for me.
Slade trying to murder everyone because he was upset that Oliver didn't save shadow ( Oliver's gf at the time) over Sarah was terrible writing.
It seems like whenever Greg Berlanti moved on to developing a new show... The previous one got worse.

Arrow S1 and 2 = Good
Arrow season 3 bad, flash season 1 good
Arrow season 4 bad, flash season 2 mediocre Supergirl mediocre ledgends mediocre

I kind of wonder exactly when Andrew Kriesberg moved to focus more on getting the Flash up and running leaving Guggenheim more free reign over Arrow. But yeah, the shit really started to get stupid with Slade's motivations which they couldn't even keep straight as they eventually ruined that character. He should've been the reoccurring villain, not Malcolm who should've been dead last season.

It was said somewhere I think by someone on the show that a broke billionaire is still a millionaire. I keep thinking Felicity should be the poorest one, Palmer Tech should be bankrupt given that she refused to fire employees when she should have. But then again Palmer Tech is just used as a setting for Curtis scenes half the time and never for an actual company.

Stephen brought that up but it was still a dumb excuse when even in the season 2.5 comic which was claimed to supposedly be some sort of canon with the show, they addressed financial problems IIRC.

ZeroX03

Banned
Yeah... So Laurel didn't have any more interesting stories to tell but Donna Smoak a huge well of intrigue and possibilities?

Mama Smoak was never a real candidate for death. I'm not sure why people thought she was, it was always going to be a regular. She's recurring comic relief.

Diggle? What the hell does Diggle have left aside from potentially fathering another kid that won't matter to Arrow?

Diggle needs to be back in the mix like S1/S2. He is the Cisco of Arrow, he has to stay. Diggle is awesome.

But yeah, the shit really started to get stupid with Slade's motivations which they couldn't even keep straight as they eventually ruined that character. He should've been the reoccurring villain, not Malcolm who should've been dead last season.

Malcolm will most likely be the big bad of S5 and die at the end. Maybe we'll get the actual Dr. Light that even Caitlin and Cisco hinted at in the original crossover, saying that Harrison Wells didn't get along with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom