• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
U5UR4zr.gif

Edit: Oops, sorry for the double post

Haha that's what I was referencing.

That episode was actually pretty decent until the absurdly stupid last minute

Skip the island parts (as always) and you have a great arrow episode. No felicity, decent action scenes, some compelling drama between oliver/diggle, hell Oliver improved his acting too

I liked it. So awful that they make Laurel fine and then she dies like a minute later lmao. Not only should that be felicity in the grave but also it's painfully obvious with that speech that she died to keep olicity alive
At least the flashbacks had Oliver capping fools. That puts it ahead of the last season and a half or so.

If there's two things the Arrowverse doesn't care for, it's dealing with money and the logistics of time travel.
Regular travel, too. Where, exactly, is Nanda Parbat again? How come Barry can't just visit Patty in Coast City, when he can swing by there to pick up pizza?

BONUS: How come Superman can't just swing by National City when there are Kryptonians and Brainiac variants wiping out global markets?

At least the flashbacks had Oliver capping fools. That puts it ahead of the last season and a half or so.

Regular travel, too. Where, exactly, is Nanda Parbat again? How come Barry can't just visit Patty in Coast City, when he can swing by there to pick up pizza?

BONUS: How come Superman can't just swing by National City when there are Kryptonians and Brainiac variants wiping out global markets?

She's in Midway City, but yeah.

Also- where are these cities? Starling City was originally in the Northwest coast, then ended up on the Great Lakes.

The Superman thing needs addressing. I'd love a season to open with Supergirl, Superman and J'onn fighting Mongul or Braniac or someone in Metropolis, forcing him into a retreat and then Superman flies into space after him. Boom. He's gone for that season.

Magwik

Banned
She's in Midway City, but yeah.

Also- where are these cities? Starling City was originally in the Northwest coast, then ended up on the Great Lakes.

The Superman thing needs addressing. I'd love a season to open with Supergirl, Superman and J'onn fighting Mongul or Braniac or someone in Metropolis, forcing him into a retreat and then Superman flies into space after him. Boom. He's gone for that season.
Im still expecting him to die on the show.

Joni

Yeah... So Laurel didn't have any more interesting stories to tell but Donna Smoak a huge well of intrigue and possibilities? Chesthair is too important as an "outsider" or whatever we know the real reason they're safe is because they're getting put together to please the crowd they continue to insist they don't write for despite a mountain of examples that seemingly contradicts it. Diggle? What the hell does Diggle have left aside from potentially fathering another kid that won't matter to Arrow? If he said maybe, they're more blank slates they can do anything they want with maybe that would've been better but all his reasoning and justifications are eye rolling as fuck.

This show was never going to be on a Breaking Bad like level of writing or hell it's not even in the top five on its own network that basically only has like 10 shows but goddamn... At least with The Flash as bad as the writing gets at least there's generally something to redeem it, even if not entirely.

And speaking of the audience, Arrow, despite the pandering to shippers is still a show predominately watched by males if the Nielsen ratings are to be believed.

I hope Stephen's has a movie career takes off beyond playing Oliver Queen meets the Ninja Turtles.

I kind of wonder exactly when Andrew Kriesberg moved to focus more on getting the Flash up and running leaving Guggenheim more free reign over Arrow. But yeah, the shit really started to get stupid with Slade's motivations which they couldn't even keep straight as they eventually ruined that character. He should've been the reoccurring villain, not Malcolm who should've been dead last season.

Stephen brought that up but it was still a dumb excuse when even in the season 2.5 comic which was claimed to supposedly be some sort of canon with the show, they addressed financial problems IIRC.
Donna isn't a regular. If they don't have anything for her, she just isn't shown. They can bench her for half a season. And aside from that, she has no stories. She is a support for Felicity and Lance. Just like baby Sara for instance. Laurel was a regular. You can't write her out for multiple episodes. And if you go on too long, you get stuff like Malcolm where it is clearly hurting the show that they haven't killed him. Donna simply isn't there because she doesn't matter in the story. Killing her doesn't matter unless you want to give Lance and Felicity something to do.

She's not a regular no, but I'm just sick of Donna already and it's only a matter of time before she's bumped up to full time so they can deliver maximum "CaptainSmoak". Charlotte Ross in those outfits they put her in be damned, that character just became grating for me really fast with the writing of those "comedic" bits. Curtis is pretty much going to be their Cisco though MAYBE he'll be the one to figure out this whole security thing.

On another note, unfollowed the official Arrow Twitter, Guggenheim and Arrow Writers, the latter is just way too friendly with that segment of fans and especially the more "prominent" (and batshit) members which they (and Gugs) follow and enable. I happened to stumble into one of their Twitter feeds and found that guy from Stephen's Facebook who posted a comment on being a fan of the show and especially of Olicity now has a fan base on Twitter because I guess he's some sort of validation for their ship or a surrogate for the father they never had, I don't know. Also stopped following the Arrow page on Facebook, kept Stephen for now but making it a point to not look at anything but his posts. The less Arrow stuff I see on social media now the better it is for what little sanity I have, I just wrote a paragraph about this, I hate myself.

Also, just realized I kept Kreisberg and he does too, hmm...

EDIT: I also picked up a bad habit of checking r/Arrow during my "trip to a farm upstate" and need to cut that out but it might not matter after May.

ZeroX03

Banned
On another note, unfollowed the official Arrow Twitter, Guggenheim and Arrow Writers, the latter is just way too friendly with that segment of fans and especially the more "prominent" (and batshit) members which they (and Gugs) follow and enable. I happened to stumble into one of their Twitter feeds and found that guy from Stephen's Facebook who posted a comment on being a fan of the show and especially of Olicity now has a fan base on Twitter because I guess he's some sort of validation for their ship or a surrogate for the father they never had, I don't know. Also stopped following the Arrow page on Facebook, kept Stephen for now but making it a point to not look at anything but his posts. The less Arrow stuff I see on social media now the better it is for what little sanity I have, I just wrote a paragraph about this, I hate myself.

Also, just realized I kept Kreisberg and he does too, hmm...

EDIT: I also picked up a bad habit of checking r/Arrow during my "trip to a farm upstate" and need to cut that out but it might not matter after May.

If you're making this much of a big deal about Arrow on social media, you definitely shouldn't be following anything related to the show on social media. Probably a good call.

If anyone wants to quit this show, I can attest that it's a lot harder than you would imagine if you're going to keep watching the other Arrowverse shows. I missed a ton of episodes last season but once the Flash crossover happened, I fell back into the habit of watching Arrow, you really feel like you're missing shit if you don't.

Donna is just a terrible character all around. I really hate that every time she appears for some unknown reason the show treats it like this big thing, quirky as shit music in the background as well.

RS4-

Donna is just a terrible character all around. I really hate that every time she appears for some unknown reason the show treats it like this big thing, quirky as shit music in the background as well.

She is still the superior Smoak.

Growing kinda tired of Merlyn as well.

She is still the superior Smoak.

Growing kinda tired of Merlyn as well.
Fuck even Felicity hates Donna.

Merlyn's shtick got tired a long time ago. It just seems like they were too scared of losing Barrowman to bigger roles, so they gave him a regulars contract when really Merlyn has been more recurring this season.

Did I miss anything in the two episodes previous to this one? Started watching the one with Cupid returning, but figured it was filler and the one after looked like filler as well.

Watched the most recent one due to the death, and well, iPad's picture in picture mode for Hulu came in handy.

Maybe I'll go watch season 2 on Netflix for the good times.

Getting rid of the dead weight that was Laurel was a good start, but I hope they thin the cast even further. As much as I like Chesthair, I wouldn't mind seeing him go. He could decided to leave the city and get a fresh start elsewhere. Maybe he goes to live with Felicity's mom or something. Malcolm needs to go, as well. Have Thea kill him. We'd be down to Ollie, Thea, Diggle, Felicity
as the new Black Canary
and Curtis. That feels like a good main cast going forward.

Joni

Getting rid of the dead weight that was Laurel was a good start, but I hope they thin the cast even further. As much as I like Chesthair, I wouldn't mind seeing him go. He could decided to leave the city and get a fresh start elsewhere. Maybe he goes to live with Felicity's mom or something. Malcolm needs to go, as well. Have Thea kill him. We'd be down to Ollie, Thea, Diggle, Felicity
as the new Black Canary
and Curtis. That feels like a good main cast going forward.

Lance can work, but they just need to reduce his role to that of Gordon. He is there to assist Oliver with the police.

Lance can work, but they just need to reduce his role to that of Gordon. He is there to assist Oliver with the police.
Lance's character turned irrelevant I feel when he found out Ollie was the vigilante. As you said, he works best as a Gordon type character but him knowing who he is doesn't give much reason for him to stick around with what little he does.

ZeroX03

Banned
yes, whine and complain about something you havent gotten a clear look at yet.

It's NeoGAF alright.

Sigh.

You get a good enough look to know that an unshaved Ezra Miller in the Injustice Flash outfit spouting Crisis-referencing set up nonsense is awful.

Or. Or that will make Felicity
the new Black Canary, with the microchip giving her extra abilities.
It's what we all want, so let's just embrace it now.

Literally will stop watching if Felicity becomes Black Canary. I liked her character at first. Not anymore. They've gutted one of my favorite superheroes in the Green Arrow.

"Why would you lie to me?" "Oh, I don't know, maybe because we're dealing with life and death situations that create need-to-know information"

One of my favourite youtube comments:

How many times is that man going to have to deal with the death of a daughter? This makes.... 3 times now? All the more impressive when you consider he only has two daughters.

For some reason that just epitomises how fucking dumb this show is. But I don't think I can even hate watch it now.

Effect

Did some thinking and I'm going to finish out the rest of the season. Then I'm done. Will find something else to watch come Wednesdays when the next season starts. It will take something amazing to get me to keep watching I'm afraid and I don't believe that's going to happen The amount of I'm annoyed and frustrated by the show's decisions aren't worth it really. The Laurel thing was pretty much the final straw as there were a number of things that had already lead Arrow to become my least favorite of the DC shows. So I'm not completely surprised that it would be the one I'd willingly stop watching first.

Ollie ' s got a pretty bad track record with sidekicks. Counting Roy's fake death, three sidekicks have died of puncture wounds to the torso about one year after putting on their mask. (Sara, Roy, Laurel.) Diggle and Thea re due early next season.

Magwik

Banned
Ollie ' s got a pretty bad track record with sidekicks. Counting Roy's fake death, three sidekicks have died of puncture wounds to the torso about one year after putting on their mask. (Sara, Roy, Laurel.) Diggle and Thea re due early next season.

Thea already died though, remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom