• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you guys are all smoking. Felicity was always a garbage character. Even in early seasons, she wss just the typical magical IT wiz that we see on so many other shows.

I don't know what you guys are all smoking. Felicity was always a garbage character. Even in early seasons, she wss just the typical magical IT wiz that we see on so many other shows.

She brought some levity to a show about Ollie, Diggle, Moira and Lance scowling at each other while Laurel, Thea and Tommy whined a lot.

She was part of the trinity of actually charasmatic characters alongside Malcolm and Slade.

She was the Cisco. Now she's one of the whiners.

Yeah, I remember this place being really up on Felicity, and not just 'cause of the dresses. Even "bitch with Wi-Fi" was well received at the time. Things started souring partway through the second season, really.

Volimar

All this quitting Arrow melodrama feels like an internet meme at some point. Especially on reddit...

RIP Canary...

xjCF0nm.gif

I took a look at twitter.

The Olicity fans get me so fucking angry. This fucking show... God damn do I now loathe it.

You haven't truly experienced it until you say something negative about the show and their ship only to have them bombard your Twitter with either arguing (and accusing you of being a hater who should stop watching) or bombing Twitter with reports of your account.

Should we not be upset that a legitimately good character who got sidelined for relationship drama gets killed for no reason aside from the shock value and a terrible plot device the writers had to commit to?

Sound like salt to me. All this shit you seem to have a problem with is nowhere near a big deal to me so yeah still a lot of salt here. Hell the OT title even says it. I myself don't like the death but after that article was posted with the writers I absolutely respect it. Remember they give zero fucks about your comic book cannon and I'm okay with that.

Magwik

Banned
Sound like salt to me. All this shit you seem to have a problem with is nowhere near a big deal to me so yeah still a lot of salt here. Hell the OT title even says it. I myself don't like the death but after that article was posted with the writers I absolutely respect it. Remember they give zero fucks about your comic book cannon and I'm okay with that.
Shit like this is upsetting. What's the point of just dropping in the thread going "lol you comic book nerds none of this matters to me so stay salty"
You're not the first person to drop in like that either. What exactly is the point of posting about how upset others are and just calling them salty and writing off their gripes?

So the salt's still here and strong lol

Thread title will remain until morale improves!

Is there any other show based on an existing IP currently running with a show runner and room of writers as in love with their "creation" (yes, I know Felicity/Firestorm's step daddy, blah blah blah) and the attention it brings as Marc Guggenheim and the Arrow writers?

Lana on Smallville. Chloe was the better choice. Why? Because she wasn't the main love interest, so the showrunners kept her out of the shenanigans.

Again, many here may have not watched The WB/CW shows before. If one of the main cast is the primary love interest, the showrunners tend to go through a ton of nonsense to keep the drama up. The transition from Laurel working to not working? The rise of Felicity as "the" love interest. Laurel gets better as the show focuses less on her.

If Patty joined Flash full time on they finally committed to Iris, you'd see the same thing.

TBH, it just showed how unneeded Felicity is but then again so did most of the first season.

Is there any other show based on an existing IP currently running with a show runner and room of writers as in love with their "creation" (yes, I know Felicity/Firestorm's step daddy, blah blah blah) and the attention it brings as Marc Guggenheim and the Arrow writers?

I'd like to think the Smallville writers were like this with Lana considering that character's "evolution." I wasn't around GAF back then but I can't imagine the Smallville threads being shat up with "LOL SALT" spam in response to legitimate criticism after Lana emotionally castrated Clark (repeatedly).

Shit like this is upsetting. What's the point of just dropping in the thread going "lol you comic book nerds none of this matters to me so stay salty"
You're not the first person to drop in like that either. What exactly is the point of posting about how upset others are and just calling them salty and writing off their gripes?

To be honest I'd would be in here watching the episodes with you as I have in the past. However I get off work at 7ct which is when it airs so as soon as I get home I watch it on my dvr which never really catches up cause I get home like 20 mins later. So yeah I don't just drop in the thread like you think I do as I've been posting here since season 1. The main reason I get you people about your reactions is because simply this. Why in the fuck do you still watch the show? I mean the way you guys talk about how bad it is(it's not really but that's how y'all feel) you guys should just move on to another show. Hell they basically said "Fuck You" and killed off a Justice League member which pissed a lot of you guys off so why do you guys keep doing this to yourself on a weekly basis. Lol at the comic book nerds reference though it's like you didn't read that I said that I didn't like the death. *shrugs* Oh well

Lana on Smallville. Chloe was the better choice. Why? Because she wasn't the main love interest, so the showrunners kept her out of the shenanigans.

Again, many here may have not watched The WB/CW shows before. If one of the main cast is the primary love interest, the showrunners tend to go through a ton of nonsense to keep the drama up. The transition from Laurel working to not working? The rise of Felicity as "the" love interest. Laurel gets better as the show focuses less on her.

If Patty joined Flash full time on they finally committed to Iris, you'd see the same thing.

This so much. You have to remember the station this show airs on. I watched Smallville back in the day so I was prepared.

I'd like to think the Smallville writers were like this with Lana considering that character's "evolution." I wasn't around GAF back then but I can't imagine the Smallville threads being shat up with "LOL SALT" spam in response to legitimate criticism after Lana emotionally castrated Clark (repeatedly).

I think we all universally agree that Lana was without a doubt the worst ever.

The Hermit

hi guys, I left here since mid season 3.

sooo, reading the title change, is it still shit?

I honestly only know Oliver, Diggle and Felicity are alive because they show up/are mentioned occasionally on The Flash.

Canary is not dead. Ollie ends up with Black Canary, we just don't know who.

Between the reaction to this death and the hints of the
Multiverse
continuing to play a role on Flash and Supergirl, I think we might have an opportunity for the Arrow writers to course correct. If they'll take it is another matter.

Lana was awful but I wasn't counting her because she was still an established comic character and they really didn't create her, just an a creepy obsession with Kreuk. Chloe did avoid most of it and yeah it's a huge annoyance with a lot of shows where the main lover interest becomes the source of drama and conflict, I think some of us had our hopes up the lack of it early this season before the cross over happened. Thankfully for as much as Smallville annoyed me with the "secrets and lies" and the drama from it at least they had enough sense to never put Chloe and Clark together.

The Flash was already on track of sabotaging Patty in her last couple episodes even though Barry shared the blame too for being a total asshat.

Hey TV writers.

Yes, you.

Come here.

Come a little closer.

Here's a secret.

There's more to portraying two people in a relationship than courtship and breakups.

More writing couples like this:

turk-and-carla-turk-and-carla-898923_450_300.jpg

less like this:

Scubs-Elliot-JD.jpg

You can tell stories about people who rise above the very low bar of having the emotional maturity of a sixteen year old.

Sincerely,

Everybody.

It's not just a CW problem, but its the worst there. Its a TV writer problem in general. Think of every sitcom power couple. Ross and Rachel. JD and Elliot. Ted and Robin. You rooted for them at first, but as the series went on, it became clear that no matter how many times they tried, they weren't going to work. And continuing to service the ship turned those characters into shittier and shittier people.

Lana was awful but I wasn't counting her because she was still an established comic character and they really didn't create her, just an a creepy obsession with Kreuk. Chloe did avoid most of it and yeah it's a huge annoyance with a lot of shows where the main lover interest becomes the source of drama and conflict, I think some of us had our hopes up the lack of it early this season before the cross over happened. Thankfully for as much as Smallville annoyed me with the "secrets and lies" and the drama from it at least they had enough sense to never put Chloe and Clark together.

The Flash was already on track of sabotaging Patty in her last couple episodes even though Barry shared the blame too for being a total asshat.

They definitely flirted with it though up until the end of season 5

Joni

If I was winning the race until I spun out and crashed do you think I could get away with saying the race was awesome?
If you skid a little in the last corner and still win, yes.

I didn't say the episode was bad (it wasn't amazing either), but I meant the way the handled the whole situation. Bringing up something like the grave without knowing who's in it, killing for the cheap shock value, the way the fight went down in that episode or how it came to the situation in the first place. It was poorly planned and really cheap.
They staged a death in three out of four seasons. The only thing different now is that they teased it from the start. As for the fight, it would be different if she was killed in a fight. Then it wouldn't be Dahrk's petty revenge, it would just have been necessary in the heat of battle.

I took a look at twitter.

The Olicity fans get me so fucking angry. This fucking show... God damn do I now loathe it.
If other people get you angry at the show, that is on you. Not on the show.
It's not just a CW problem, but its the worst there. Its a TV writer problem in general. Think of every sitcom power couple. Ross and Rachel. JD and Elliot. Ted and Robin. You rooted for them at first, but as the series went on, it became clear that no matter how many times they tried, they weren't going to work. And continuing to service the ship turned those characters into shittier and shittier people.
That is what you get when they listen to much to the GAF contigent of fans who screamed for them to break up. See this very topic where the people complaining now where wishing for them to break-up. I'm quite sure the Olicity fans wanted them to stay together.

That is what you get when they listen to much to the GAF contigent of fans who screamed for them to break up. See this very topic where the people complaining now where wishing for them to break-up. I'm quite sure the Olicity fans wanted them to stay together.

They were fine the first third of the season when they were a stable couple. It was around the time of the Flash crossover when the William secret brought back the drama that they became insufferable again.

Joni

Because the last episode was not a win.

Fine fighting on all ends, good story beats and progression, emotional impact on the scenes, killed a character everybody was complaining about until she was dead. That makes it a win.

They were fine the first third of the season when they were a stable couple. It was around the time of the Flash crossover when the William secret brought back the drama that they became insufferable again.

So as I said, it was the break-up wish that people had in this very topic at the start that is causing those people to be unhappy.

Fine fighting on all ends, good story beats and progression, emotional impact on the scenes, killed a character everybody was complaining about until she was dead. That makes it a win.

Even when I got a contrary opinion, I usually end up agreeing with you, because you care enough to make good points or find reasonable "excuses" to suspend my disbelief. I really like that.

But regarding the fighting in this episode, and I guess it's really good that it's the only stupid nitpick I got, because it was really good, I just can't let that one go.

Merlyn knocked Thea out with his stump in one hit and stole the idol afterwards, one-handed.

I'm not too hung up about it (despite mentioning it like eight times), but it's just one of those silly things where I'm like "come on, even an assassin knocking Thea out from behind would've been better".

Can't wait for Felicity who had like three personal interactions with Laurel to be more affected and focused on than Thea who knew Laurel near all her life and was there for her more than most lately and saw her like a sister.

Joni

Can't wait for Felicity who had like three personal interactions with Laurel to be more affected and focused on than Thea who knew Laurel near all her life and was there for her more than most lately and saw her like a sister.
I doubt that. She has never tried to seduce Laurel, so clearly, that isn't true.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We already saw Felicity straight up telling Ollie to kill Darkh after visiting her tomb.

At this point I'm just hoping the writers pull a "magical herbs from Lian Yu allowed Laurel to fake her own death" plot device just to fuck with us.

They can still fix that with a flashback!
I'm sure Wozz's fic would be better written and engaging than whatever scenario this show could ever come with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom