• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finalow

Tell me how I'm wrong that spelling and grammar are not the most objective elements of writing. There's a right and wrong way to spell a word*.

Pacing, dialogue, plot twists, whatever there's all an element of preference or subjectivity in the same way as with music or art but if you miss a full stop or question mark in a sentence, capitalize Poorly or dont an apostrophe thats pretty clear an error of objective measure do you understand what i mean

*and even that's not crystal clear between UK and US spelling!
what is wrong, as I thought was implied in my precedent post, is that you think the most objective criticism we can give to writing is spelling or grammar. there hardly is anything subjective about the quality of the writing of X tv show or movie, it depends on the skills of who's involved and a lot of other factors but surely not taste.
at some point you realize that it's quite easy to see when people put an actual effort behind it or when they just don't care or even try at all. in this case, ''not caring'' isn't even close to describe what we're getting.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
One more thing, Diggle. Your brother was on the island...

I hope you're ready because that'll probably happen.

Diggle's Brother's storyline intersects with drugs and I'd wager dollars to big belly burgers that the drugs are made on the island.

ZeroX03

Banned
Guys Diggle's brother wasn't on the island. That's stupid.

Clearly Oliver was in Afghanistan.

what is wrong, as I thought was implied in my precedent post, is that you think the most objective criticism we can give to writing is spelling or grammar. there hardly is anything subjective about the quality of the writing of X tv show or movie, it depends on the skills of who's involved and a lot of other factors but surely not taste.
at some point you realize that it's quite easy to see when people put an actual effort behind it or when they just don't care or even try at all. in this case, ''not caring'' isn't even close to describe what we're getting.

Really? You ignore my point and then you throw out the "TV writers don't care or try"? Oh boy. Time to press that special little button I mentioned earlier.

cocopuffs

Banned
Very entertaining episode actually, I do think Arrow went in the shitter after season 3 but it seems to have redeemed itself a bit with season 4. Constantine was a super cool addition too and worked well.

And also no matter Laurel's rants about Oliver's hypocrisy or whatever, she's forever dumb for trying to revive a dead person. Thea wasn't dead when Oliver revived her lol so that whole point doesn't stand. So yeah Laurel still isn't a good character.

Kyoufu

Very entertaining episode actually, I do think Arrow went in the shitter after season 3 but it seems to have redeemed itself a bit with season 4. Constantine was a super cool addition too and worked well.

And also no matter Laurel's rants about Oliver's hypocrisy or whatever, she's forever dumb for trying to revive a dead person. Thea wasn't dead when Oliver revived her lol so that whole point doesn't stand. So yeah Laurel still isn't a good character.

Still, I can sympathise with her character. It's her sister. She'll do anything to bring her back.

Finalow

Really? You ignore my point and then you throw out the "TV writers don't care or try"? Oh boy. Time to press that special little button I mentioned earlier.
lol, what point? I didn't throw out anything, just replied to whatever you wrote. assuming you're even aware of what you wrote
zzzlet me paste this again, your post "Music, movies, TV shows are all very subject to taste. Quality in art is one of the hardest things to debate. Even writing" - that's what I was getting at, my point had nothing to do with spelling or grammar.

Arrow and the Flash are dumb shows, neither is ever going to going to be nominated for an Emmy for writing or acting for that matter. Bad writing or not it doesn't mean they can't be fun overall. As an 80s/early 90s kid who loved himself some "cheesy" shows and movies with questionable writing at times it takes quite a bit to turn me off. Last season of Arrow absolutely had some horrendous writing and questionable direction. Remember when they completely forgot about Roy during the encounter with Ray in his suit? Even Guggenheim admitted they fucked up.
exactly, that was part of my point, and I don't see anything wrong with enjoying dumb shows.
I was just astounded at how dumb it managed to become, or at people stating that it's still a good show. (again we can argue semantics but a *good* tv show, to me, isn't a dumb poorly written show) and it irks me when people throw a tantrum because someone calls the show stupid, dumb, awful, *insert disparaging remark*, or because they're pretending that it's not ''constructive criticism'' as there is no wall of text explaining frame per frame what's wrong, and expecting everyone in this thread to be bound to like whatever vomit the show throws at you.

Platy

Winning Halloween.

iqNRssuZCb911FtzaoFDz9kTmv0XHkWoUOERCRGcsn9UKtMxmBvyqB0_i-6YnDBYfgRs5586yERvYPq614uMR4KzMuthgZIWpkaw_UrjEx04d7leEaZHOkUDLr7a9QQ1nbAiUKzAjqHZZAGFTKMLxxv4LAfB2dF0ul5evaLSy0tCi6Krsh_iF21Yf2Obmw87Msx5TX8130Z4yy4v6rNwnE4CGNVA5LK88APxUizXkSUsUhgbc_4w_pqtSRprsRkIQbK2NgZP41CJiC46mN51YUxv2iUYVRyRSB9ZtSa7e1qlBg=w384-h384-nc

Dude will make such a good drag queen when he comes out of the closet !

Joni

Absolutely serious: Blake Neely should have been nominated for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series. Even if it's just a Creative Arts Emmy. Flash's S1 soundtrack is sublime. So is Arrow S3 which I keep meaning to post about in depth.

Flash got a nomination for Grodd's visual effects at least!

And the Roy thing was hilarious.

He is doing music for five shows now. I mean, one should win right? He hasn't even been nominated since Pan Am, which is just crazy.

ZeroX03

Banned
He is doing music for five shows now. I mean, one should win right? He hasn't even been nominated since Pan Am, which is just crazy.

Supergirl will be getting more exposure as it's on CBS, maybe that'll help.

I didn't realize he paid for an orchestral score for the Arrow pilot out of his own pocket.

e: holy shit I've been posting in this thread way too much. StaticJam needs to get unbanned asap, making me feel bad.

What I miss about Season 1 is Oliver's determination.
He wasn't second guessing himself all the time, he had a mission, he had a plan and he carried that through w/o qualms.

His interactions with diggle to hide his identity were hilarious as well.

A scenery change would help but they probably can't do that at this point.

The only thing that sort of bothers me about this season, is how Felicity, the super hacker genius on this show, suddenly needs her own Felicity character to go to and get things solved. From "I hacked into this machine and can remotely control it perfectly without any lag whatsoever and help catching the bad guy and hey, let me bio analyze this tooth, because I can" to "this thing here is encrypted and stuff. Here, solve that for me." I mean, I'm not mad that she needs help with her super hacking things. It just seems weird all of the sudden.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Okay, so bringing Sara back proves you can resurrect people who are long dead. Which means that Malcolm's totally going to go to Hell, drag Tommy out and beat the beta out of him to make him the end-game boss, right?

latest

Bonus points if he comes back and his first-line of dialogue is 'This is it... the Apocalypse.'

DeathyBoy

Banned
Lazarus Pit is broken, and Malcolms son is still alive. Well, the one he cares about.

Constantine being on the show, and referencing his own show, makes Heaven/Hell canon to the Arrowverse. So they can break Tommy out of Hell if they want to.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Supergirl will be getting more exposure as it's on CBS, maybe that'll help.

I didn't realize he paid for an orchestral score for the Arrow pilot out of his own pocket.

e: holy shit I've been posting in this thread way too much. StaticJam needs to get unbanned asap, making me feel bad.

Wow I didn't know Blake financed the score out of his own finance to get the music we know today with this universe. I think the man is damn talented and his work on The Flash is sublime. I will admit the Constantine score remix in the haunted episode was giving me goosebumps and giving me the biggest grin.

I have no doubt that we're going to be in for a roller coaster of a series once the episodes start to ramp up after all this legends of tomorrow prologue is out of the way. I feel like the battle with Darkh/Hive and Oliver/City can be something special especially considering the unknowns of what powers the team will face against.

DeathyBoy

Banned
God damn, Chicago Med. Between that and The Affair, I don't think his schedule is up to it unless it's very late season.

They can tie it in with the obligatory Vertigo episode. Oliver trips balls and sees Tommy in the crowd with glowing red eyes or some shit. Or maybe an old photo of Tommy comes to life and tells Oliver that Hell is a drag.

ETA - Jokes aside, I think Colin D did an excellent job as Tommy. And I would genuinely love to see him come back to the show and have some fun with the action. Everyone else has, seems a shame not to give Tommy the supervillain treatment and have some really intense him-Oliver fights. I mean... he's really the only villain possibility left that's really personal for Oliver.

Luigi87

Show will always have dumb moments, I still really like it, and season 4 has been so much more enjoyable.
The only thing that sort of bothers me about this season, is how Felicity, the super hacker genius on this show, suddenly needs her own Felicity character to go to and get things solved. From "I hacked into this machine and can remotely control it perfectly without any lag whatsoever and help catching the bad guy and hey, let me bio analyze this tooth, because I can" to "this thing here is encrypted and stuff. Here, solve that for me." I mean, I'm not mad that she needs help with her super hacking things. It just seems weird all of the sudden.

This is a valid point though.

Aside from that, I just try not to overthink things too much and enjoy the show for what it is is. On top of liking Arrow, I love Flash. Between Flash and Agents of SHIELD, that's my favourite two hours of television every week.

I'm interested in the continuing plots in Arrow, just as long as we don't get something in season 6 online the lines of...

"You know John, this reminds me of something from five years ago years ago back on Lian Yu."
"Oliver, five years ago you were already in Starling City."
"Yeah... That's not entirely true..."
"What?"

and then it goes into some crazy story like... Oliver met his doppleganger or a clone of himself on Lian Yu, and this is why he always reminds himself of who he is with "My name is Oliver Queen... Fiv-"

... sorry, I've had a cold and kept waking up in the middle of the night, thought of this and amused myself too much >_>

Luigi87

He's not, but he appeared in both season 2 and season 3 in spite of being dead (hallucination and flashback respectively).

Chariot

Plus, it's a comic book show. The chance of young people staying dead is pretty tiny. I actually expected him back last season already, he is overdue.

Klyka

Banned
Show will always have dumb moments, I still really like it, and season 4 has been so much more enjoyable.

This is a valid point though.

Aside from that, I just try not to overthink things too much and enjoy the show for what it is is. On top of liking Arrow, I love Flash. Between Flash and Agents of SHIELD, that's my favourite two hours of television every week.

I'm interested in the continuing plots in Arrow, just as long as we don't get something in season 6 online the lines of...

"You know John, this reminds me of something from five years ago years ago back on Lian Yu."
"Oliver, five years ago you were already in Starling City."
"Yeah... That's not entirely true..."
"What?"

and then it goes into some crazy story like... Oliver met his doppleganger or a clone of himself on Lian Yu, and this is why he always reminds himself of who he is with "My name is Oliver Queen... Fiv-"

... sorry, I've had a cold and kept waking up in the middle of the night, thought of this and amused myself too much >_>

I thought the show is supposed to end after Season 5?
Didn't they say "He wa son the Island 5 years, each year is one season and the series will end with the shot of Ollie on the beach from Episode 1" ?

I thought the show is supposed to end after Season 5?
Didn't they say "He wa son the Island 5 years, each year is one season and the series will end with the shot of Ollie on the beach from Episode 1" ?

When did they say that? When the show started? If so, then I'm sure they thought they'd be lucky to get that many seasons with a show based on the Green Arrow. They'll keep doing this show until it doesn't pull the ratings anymore. Let's just hope it won't get as bad as Supernatural.

ZeroX03

Banned
The five year plan was when the show was originally envisioned. It's definitely going longer now. Pretty much until Amell wants to call it quits, and he keeps opening up more to the idea of running longer.

Klyka

Banned
The five year plan was when the show was originally envisioned. It's definitely going longer now. Pretty much until Amell wants to call it quits, and he keeps opening up more to the idea of running longer.

Huh, alright then.

You gotta hand it to Amell, he fucking loves doing this show.

Luigi87

"My name is Oliver Queen. After five seasons on CW, I return for a sixth with only one goal, to improve our ratings. But with numerous spin-offs and no longer being able to have flashback arcs this season had become something else. This season is... something else."

... I'll stop now...

Dalek

I really loved Constantine's appearance on the show-and my wife who knows nothing about him or his background was really bummed about him not sticking around-even she said he seemed to liven the show up a bit.

Kyoufu

I really loved Constantine's appearance on the show-and my wife who knows nothing about him or his background was really bummed about him not sticking around-even she said he seemed to liven the show up a bit.

He's already a better character than the majority of the cast, so yea, not surprised by your wife's reaction.

The show needs more characters like Constantine who are actually believable protagonists and less of fucking Laurel in a costume using some dumb scream thing. God.

DeathyBoy

Banned
"My name is Oliver Queen. After five seasons on CW, I return for a sixth with only one goal, to improve our ratings. But with numerous spin-offs and no longer being able to have flashback arcs this season had become something else. This season is... something else."

... I'll stop now...

It's likely S6 will not have flashbacks. Probably flash forwards.

The problem isn't Laurel, but that the Canary Scream is a dumb looking move/attack. There's no media where it doesn't look dumb and we all should be glad that the producers didn't add CG sound waves.

Luigi87

It's possible. I mean they could have done the type of soundwave certain shows do where it's like a liquidy/blurry mass of air projected from the source.

... really wish I could think of something specific that has done this.

Corpekata

Banned
It's just something that will always look goofy on a CW budget. Should have kept it as a gadget she throws like Sarah did. Laurel looks like she's in a hair metal band at the start of a music video when she uses it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom