• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did i read in the last couple of pages in this thread, Jeez.

Martian Manhunter next season.

Diggle: "Holy shit! What is that?"

Felicity: "Tests say it's not of this world."

Ollie: "Aliens are real. I wasn't alone on that island."

*Flashback*

Ollie: "Why are you here?"

J'onn: "This island is a hotbed of alien activity..."

I can totally see this happening lol.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
What did i read in the last couple of pages in this thread, Jeez.

I can totally see this happening lol.

That's the sad part; whenever someone pitches a new character for the show, the entire writer-room seems to go "and how are we going to introduce him on the island?"

DeathyBoy

Banned
That's the sad part; whenever someone pitches a new character for the show, the entire writer-room seems to go "and how are we going to introduce him on the island?"

Just wait for the reveal that Diggle was Martian Manhunter all along and met Oliver on the island.

ZeroX03

Banned
Constantine on the island justified itself, how else would they introduce his history with Oliver? Party boy Oliver met Constantine? It fit the island's narrative, it gave us context to the island and it roughly fit the Constantine show's story too. That's good enough for me.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Constantine on the island justified itself, how else would they introduce his history with Oliver? Party boy Oliver met Constantine? It fit the island's narrative, it gave us context to the island and it roughly fit the Constantine show's story too. That's good enough for me.

Well the whole Island was considered a "Nexus" point for all evil/bad things being attracted to this Island. And to be honest from all the flash backs we have seen with the Island it's never been anything but bad things to happen there all the time!

Like I said, Constantine could've been attracted to the city by the dark magic that's been going on. He investigates a case, gets caught by Lance or Oliver and hilarity ensues. That would've been a thousand times more believable than the Lost nonsense that's been going on with the island. It would also make his cop out at the end of the episode more believable, since they're not friends and Damien isn't his problem.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Like I said, Constantine could've been attracted to the city by the dark magic that's been going on. He investigates a case, gets caught by Lance or Oliver and hilarity ensues. That would've been a thousand times more believable than the Lost nonsense that's been going on with the island. It would also make his cop out at the end of the episode more believable, since they're not friends and Damien isn't his problem.

So in other words, you'd remove Sara from the equation? That'd mean you'd have to rewrite the plot of the last three eps. And then you'd have to bring back Sara for LOT anyway.

See how difficult it is to actually break a story when you have specific beats to hit?

ZeroX03

Banned

And that would make sense if they had more than one episode to tell the story. But they didn't. It's a lot easier to establish trust between Oliver and Constantine if they get some quality alone time. Which the island does nicely. Also the island storyline is about mystical stuff this year and it fits Constantine's storyline for his show so I don't see why it's that absurd. Oh, and they still need to make an episode of Arrow to boot, it can't just be an episode entirely devoted to Constantine.

PS. You pretty much described Barry Allen's introduction from season two. A two parter, no less.

The writer staff have little to no imagination, with regards to introducing new characters. Introducing characters on the island is really Tiring, boring, and very lazy.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
By the end of this season, we'll have found out that Oliver was stuck on that island with Felicity, but she got her memory wiped by HIVE.

Chariot

Given the amount of people coming and dying on the island it's becoming it's own mass grave. Time for Blackest Night in season 5 or 6.

Joni

What ever happened to Ollie´s ex with Ollie´s kid? I hope they bring that soon. Maybe Dahrk will threaten Ollie by leveraging the kid.
They won't, they're playing the long game on that.

So he ignored Darhk for 30 years, but he is interested in him now because he is in Star City? Or Darhk just started using the magic he has for over 100 years just now? And he is attracted by the magic, but he leaves anyway because he isn't interested anymore when it turns out it is an immortal wizard doing stuff?

Chariot

They won't, they're playing the long game on that.
Yeah, I think he isn't even long ago enough to have him here. Five years island, four years show and it can't be too many years before the island when he impregnated the women. Give it a few more years and he is maybe a teenager

Joni

Yeah, I think he isn't even long ago enough to have him here. Five years island, four years show and it can't be too many years before the island when he impregnated the women. Give it a few more years and he is maybe a teenager
It was 2007, seven years before the episode which was a bit more than a year ago.

ZeroX03

Banned
They can't use him, Kevin Smith doesn't want it. He was replaced by Deathlok.

Just to be clear, they can use him, but Kevin Smith doesn't think he can be done properly on television. The producers heard that and agreed and that's why we got Mr. Blank instead.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Just to be clear, they can use him, but Kevin Smith doesn't think he can be done properly on television. The producers heard that and agreed and that's why we got Mr. Blank instead.

Shame they listened, given Smith's GA run is rather overrated. I'm sure the show could make it work now.

So in other words, you'd remove Sara from the equation? That'd mean you'd have to rewrite the plot of the last three eps. And then you'd have to bring back Sara for LOT anyway.

See how difficult it is to actually break a story when you have specific beats to hit?

Why would I remove Sara? When I said "hilarity ensues", I was to lazy to write out the whole plot. But once Oliver makes contact with Constantine, I don't see how it would be hard to get him involved in the Sara plotline.

And that would make sense if they had more than one episode to tell the story. But they didn't. It's a lot easier to establish trust between Oliver and Constantine if they get some quality alone time. Which the island does nicely. Also the island storyline is about mystical stuff this year and it fits Constantine's storyline for his show so I don't see why it's that absurd. Oh, and they still need to make an episode of Arrow to boot, it can't just be an episode entirely devoted to Constantine.

PS. You pretty much described Barry Allen's introduction from season two. A two parter, no less.

In no way showed the 5 minutes on the island quality time between Oliver and Constantine and established some kind of friendship by the end of the flashback. It was rushed, no matter how you slice it. And yes, a two-parter would've been awesome, because more Constantine is awesome. And yes, I'd sacrifice an episode of Arrow in exchange for an episode of Constantine in disguise, if it has good writers from Arrow attached to it. This season is long and filler is bound to happen. Might as well make it around Constantine.

So he ignored Darhk for 30 years, but he is interested in him now because he is in Star City? Or Darhk just started using the magic he has for over 100 years just now? And he is attracted by the magic, but he leaves anyway because he isn't interested anymore when it turns out it is an immortal wizard doing stuff?

I didn't say he was interested in Darhk. I meant that he had some sort of dark magic case in Star City, like he had them all the time in his cancelled show, but perhaps linked to Darhk (without him knowing). Him leaving at the end made sense in both cases, because Constantine is an asshole, but less so, if him and Oliver as such good island buddies.

e: Please don't misunderstand me. I no way did I hate this episode or anything like that. I'm just tired of the island and the flashbacks in general since last season.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Except Oliver begging Constantine to come help shows how dire things are. If Constantine is randomly already there, that is an actual contrivance.

Constantine NOPE'ing the fuck out when he heard about Dahrk just makes Darhk even more dangerous.

I also love Neal McDonough not being a -complete- shitheel. I like that about the Arrow villains.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Constantine NOPE'ing the fuck out when he heard about Dahrk just makes Darhk even more dangerous.

I also love Neal McDonough not being a -complete- shitheel. I like that about the Arrow villains.

And fits with the character. It's not his fight at all. He has no reason to get involved.

Except Oliver begging Constantine to come help shows how dire things are. If Constantine is randomly already there, that is an actual contrivance.

I agree that him being randomly in the city, meeting Oliver and being the only guy with the ability to bring Sara's soul back is less than stellar writing. But with all the island callbacks, I'm starting to feel like Diggle in the flashbacks jokes of the Arrow OTs.

Joni

I didn't say he was interested in Darhk. I meant that he had some sort of dark magic case in Star City, like he had them all the time in his cancelled show, but perhaps linked to Darhk (without him knowing). Him leaving at the end made sense in both cases, because Constantine is an asshole, but less so, if him and Oliver as such good island buddies.

But if he is interested in a dark magic case, it would be strange for him to leave once he hears of a major source. It makes more sense for Constantine to come specifically because Oliver asks him, and then leaving because he is scared of Darhk. It would have worked better if they could have gotten him for more episodes, so I hope the lawyers are working hard.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I agree that him being randomly in the city, meeting Oliver and being the only guy with the ability to bring Sara's soul back is less than stellar writing. But with all the island callbacks, I'm starting to feel like Diggle in the flashbacks jokes of the Arrow OTs.

It's the shows hook - how the flashbacks intersect with the present day.

But if he is interested in a dark magic case, it would be strange for him to leave once he hears of a major source. It makes more sense for Constantine to come specifically because Oliver asks him, and then leaving because he is scared of Darhk. It would have worked better if they could have gotten him for more episodes, so I hope the lawyers are working hard.

Like I said in my other posts, I thought it was awesome that they were able to get Constantine and I completely agree with you and hope that they can sort any issues out. While the show wasn't the greatest, I love Matt Ryan's portrayal of the character and want more of that.

It's the shows hook - how the flashbacks intersect with the present day.

I know that. I just wish they could make it a bit more convincing.

Johndoey

Banned
It's unfortunate they couldn't have introduced Constantine in the previous season I think it might've worked better there off the island.

Volimar

Can we talk for a minute about where Constantine was when he got Oliver's call? Some dark smoky nebulous place. Is that where characters go when they're canceled?

Did anyone feel like that Constantine episode was done pretty rushed or half assed in a sense? Because that dream sequence set was really low budget.

Did anyone feel like that Constantine episode was done pretty rushed or half assed in a sense? Because that dream sequence set was really low budget.
Yeah, plenty of people have said this. I thought it was to be expected given how much work it probably was to get the character on the show at all. I'm sure they would've rather done a fleshed out two parter episode.

Yeah, plenty of people have said this. I thought it was to be expected given how much work it probably was to get the character on the show at all. I'm sure they would've rather done a fleshed out two parter episode.

I think a two parter with Constantine would have better than "Hey my Friend suddenly came back from the dead because her sister is dumb, can you Exorcize her for me? K thx bye" . Hope we see him again... I wonder how that works in getting a character that was on a Cancelled NBC show to appear on The CW

All the budget went to Neely for that sick remix of the Constantine theme

I wonder how that works in getting a character that was on a Cancelled NBC show to appear on The CW

Lord DC said to make it happen, and then NBC...ignored them and then said no, and then eventually acquiesced :p

ZeroX03

Banned
Of course the episode was rushed, they only had one episode they were allowed to use Matt Ryan for and they had to shoot two weeks ahead of schedule (it was shot before episode 4) to accomodate him. It's easy to suggest it could have been done better but that doesn't factor in the reality of TV productions.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Of course the episode was rushed, they only had one episode they were allowed to use Matt Ryan for and they had to shoot two weeks ahead of schedule (it was shot before episode 4) to accomodate him. It's easy to suggest it could have been done better but that doesn't factor in the reality of TV productions.

This.

It's easy to armchair quarterback, but the guys who write Arrow have to compromise constantly. If they wrote the show compromise free, it'd be horrible.

Thanks, this is basically the point I was trying to make.

Kyoufu

I wonder if Ray expected his message to get sorted out much quicker than it did?

He probably didn't expect Felicity to be so dumb as to ignore her phone acting weird for as long as it did, and then willingly refuse to listen to his message.

Felicity is so bad. Ugh.

ZeroX03

Banned
So who's got the BARROWMAN! gif ready?

Team Arrow took a vacation and Malcolm has been cutting very loose.

11925907_1509817406011425_515887974_n.jpg
10467977_1655125004735514_993436930_n.jpg
11931097_1720520471515262_188871494_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom