• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrow Season 4 |OT| A Tale of Salt and Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm glad we've still got lots of people here complaining about the show, it wouldn't feel like the Season 3 OT without it...

wfZTOtt.gif

Kyoufu

For the record, I'm not hate-watching the show, it's still fun to me, just in a different way than before.

Season 4 is miles better than S3 was.

ZeroX03

Banned
Why shouldn't we criticize a show? Are you so insecure in your belief in it that you don't want to hear complains?

No, but I also don't waltz into the Agents of Shield thread to constantly talk about how terrible I think that show is. If you don't have anything nice to say, etc.

DeathyBoy

Banned
No, but I also don't waltz into the Agents of Shield thread to constantly talk about how terrible I think that show is. If you don't have anything nice to say, etc.

Go read the S2 thread. We ripped the shit out of the show every week. But we had FUN doing it. So much criticism in the S3 thread was people not enjoying the show, and if you hate the show that much then why the Hell are you watching it? It sapped the fun out of those of us who view this thread and the show as an escape from our real lives, by throwing over the top negativity into a show where the lead character gets over five years of PTSD in ONE EPISODE of a TV show.

Chariot

Are you watching SHIELD? If yes, then why wouldn't you complain if you don't like. If no, then it wouldn't be appropriate. You know me. You know I watch both Flash and Arrow weekly, since they first aired, am I not entitled to voice if I don't like something about the show as much as if I like something?

GulAtiCa

Why shouldn't we criticize a show? Are you so insecure in your belief in it that you don't want to hear complains?

I think it's more of the people last year that went "I hate this show, this is the worst show ever, I am done. Never watching again!" and then showed up next week and the next and the next. Those sure were addicted people for a show they hate. Over time, it just got annoying, esp if they complained about every little insignificant issue. A bunch of llama dramas.

I haven't really seen anyone really get to that kind of level of crazyness this year yet and don't see that much hate. This season from general conscientious is that people are enjoying it again.

IconGrist

I feel like Arrow peaked in season 2 and there's nothing left for him to give us.

Everyone knows Arrow's identity, so there's no element of secrecy regarding a Superhero and his friends. All of his friends became his sidekicks, so who is he even protecting anymore? I don't even remember Arrow doing anything this season

I feel like Arrow isn't even needed in his own damn show.

Writers please. Please save Arrow.

I don't know what you know about Ollie in the comics but if secret identities not being a secret is a problem I may have some bad news.

ZeroX03

Banned
Are you watching SHIELD? If yes, then why wouldn't you complain if you don't like.

Because it would sap the fun out of the thread and make it a negative place for everyone else. I have no funny complaints to make about that show, I think it's just plain bad. Hence...

Go read the S2 thread. We ripped the shit out of the show every week. But we had FUN doing it. So much criticism in the S3 thread was people not enjoying the show, and if you hate the show that much then why the Hell are you watching it? It sapped the fun out of those of us who view this thread and the show as an escape from our real lives, by throwing over the top negativity into a show where the lead character gets over five years of PTSD in ONE EPISODE of a TV show.

Malvingt2

There is a reason why I hardly post on the AoS and TBBT thread.. Two shows that I do love to watch but here on GAF is not fun to talk about. I did almost leave Arrow thread last year.

Finalow

nzuqulfbksaj7zuhjqoo.jpg

^literally the-arrow.jpg, only explanation I have for this show at this point. I really cannot fathom how it could ever get more stupid than this, but I'm sure people can't wait to find out, season 4 is far from being over.
I can understand people enjoying this comedy, but calling it ''good'' is just a plain insult to the actually good shows out there. and it's really scary to see some people believing that it's still good, maybe you're watching another show and haven't realized it yet.

ZeroX03

Banned
nzuqulfbksaj7zuhjqoo.jpg

^literally the-arrow.jpg, only explanation I have for this show at this point. I really cannot fathom how it could ever get more stupid than this, but I'm sure people can't wait to find out, season 4 is far from being over.
I can understand people enjoying this comedy, but calling it ''good'' is just a plain insult to the actually good shows out there. and it's really scary to see some people believing that it's still good, maybe you're watching another show and haven't realized it yet.

Thanks for the example!

DeathyBoy

Banned
nzuqulfbksaj7zuhjqoo.jpg

Those good shows? You should go and post in their threads. Because cats like you make this thread fucking unbearable to read.

For me, like I've mentioned previously, it's like an Airwolf, MacGyver, Magnum P.I., Knight Rider type thing. It's cheesy, sure, but it's fun and enjoyable.

It doesn't have to be Inception. There's tons of other lauded shows I can't stand but don't really bother with commenting on.

I like Bruce Campbell, I loved They Live, these kinda shows are right up my alley.

Good is subjective in this sense.

ZeroX03

Banned

Music, movies, TV shows are all very subject to taste. Quality in art is one of the hardest things to debate. Even writing, the most objective criticism we can give is spelling or grammar. It's why I try and avoid "X is great, Y is bad" debates because really it's up to taste. And then there's PopGAF and other music threads. Fights to the death in those threads over stuff that sounds pretty similar to me.

Pachimari

In any case, Arrow is pretty lame now. I miss season 1 and 2 a lot. :(

It's been 5 episodes and the flashbacks have served no purpose other than to make sense of Constantine's cameo.

Just stop watching. Leave on a high. It's all downhill from S3 onwards.

S4 isn't bad but it's nowhere near as good as S2.

I don't know what you are on, but Season 4 isn't lame. It's back to form, and much better than S3. Season 3 could be a drag, but the show is back.

What is going on in this thread

I absolutely LOVE The Flash and it's one of my favorite shows but this season have been "shit". With that I mean, it have been much worse than Season 1 until the latest episode this week, which brought it back to the same level as S1.

Kyoufu

I don't know what you are on, but Season 4 isn't lame. It's back to form, and much better than S3. Season 3 could be a drag, but the show is back.

I sadly can't agree at all. The flashbacks so far have been completely pointless. No doubt being dragged as far as they can before the big pay off towards the end of the season. S2 featured interesting and meaningful flashbacks every episode. S2 was dark and serious and S4 is the opposite of that.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. However, I will say that Darhk is very well acted and Lance is probably my favourite character of this season so far. That scene with him and Oliver was great.

I'm just really tired of Laurel as a sidekick with her hilarious scream attack and Felicity with her constant sarcasm and jokes. I want them to go back to the serious tone of S1 and S2. I want the old Oliver Queen, not this nerfed politician.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Criticism is healthy and good, but most people are just obsessed with being above something and being the first to call the exact second a show jumps the shark.

It's just tiring.

ZeroX03

Banned
Criticism is healthy and good, but most people are just obsessed with being above something and being the first to call the exact second a show jumps the shark.

It's just tiring.

Constructive criticism can be good, but let's not pretend that's what happens here most of the time.

Although that guy trying to provide an alternative story for season 3 was pretty hilarious.

Pachimari

I sadly can't agree at all. The flashbacks so far have been completely pointless. No doubt being dragged as far as they can before the big pay off towards the end of the season. S2 featured interesting and meaningful flashbacks every episode. S2 was dark and serious and S4 is the opposite of that.

I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing what you're seeing. However, I will say that Darhk is very well acted and Lance is probably my favourite character of this season so far. That scene with him and Oliver was great.

I'm just really tired of Laurel as a sidekick with her hilarious scream attack and Felicity with her constant sarcasm and jokes. I want them to go back to the serious tone of S1 and S2. I want the old Oliver Queen, not this nerfed politician.
I agree that Dhark and Lance are two very good characters, and I got to be honest, that Felicity is starting to go on my nerves too. Though I also think that when Stephen Amell does serious, he is at his worst. It is cringy every time he goes all serious and drama. He just isn't that good of an actor yet.

Finalow

Those good shows? You should go and post in their threads. Because cats like you make this thread fucking unbearable to read.
Thanks for the example!
hey, just expressing my opinion about a show I've been watching.

I know you people would like a safe place where you just read posts about the oh-so-good show called Arrow or watch the oh-so-funny gifs, or where all criticism and negative comments are banned, but maybe you should open your arrow fan page for that.

and don't give me the ''constructive criticism" bullshit, the picture I posted is more than enough. if you want a scene-to-scene "why is this season so awful" analysis I'm sure the are some pictures or other posts for that somewhere. but honestly it's clear as a day. if you can't see that and like to be in denial, well, have fun. stay mad all you want but at least don't pretend that people are complaining ''just because fuck this show and hating is fun~", start to think that maybe this show turned into a huge pile of shit and maybe someone accepted that.

It's just tiring.
exact second? The show is jumping the shark since S2 ended, so uh

For as much shit as Arrow gets, at least it's not Heroes. With every episode of Heroes Reborn I watch I realize Arrow could've been so much worse.

Finalow

Music, movies, TV shows are all very subject to taste. Quality in art is one of the hardest things to debate. Even writing, the most objective criticism we can give is spelling or grammar. It's why I try and avoid "X is great, Y is bad" debates because really it's up to taste. And then there's PopGAF and other music threads. Fights to the death in those threads over stuff that sounds pretty similar to me.
lol. I won't argue about music, art or whatever but "even writing, the most objective criticism we can give is spelling or grammar"?
that's so wrong I don't even know how to reply. maybe I can see now how you got that tag

watch this and Daredevil, then tell me how someone can see the huge difference in quality (especially writing) as subjective.

For me, like I've mentioned previously, it's like an Airwolf, MacGyver, Magnum P.I., Knight Rider type thing. It's cheesy, sure, but it's fun and enjoyable.

It doesn't have to be Inception. There's tons of other lauded shows I can't stand but don't really bother with commenting on.

I like Bruce Campbell, I loved They Live, these kinda shows are right up my alley.

and as I wrote I've nothing against people enjoying the show for what it is, that's totally fine. as I see it, "good" is more like something that relates to the actual quality of the show, the writing and whatever else - not specifically your enjoyment.
of course if you mean "it's a great show because I enjoy watching it" then it's just a discussion about semantics here.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
What bothers me the most about these kind of threads are the drive by comments.

Some pithy, snarky comment about the show with never any in depth critique.

And it's the same people!!!

ZeroX03

Banned
lol. I won't argue about music, art or whatever but "even writing, the most objective criticism we can give is spelling or grammar"?
that's so wrong I don't even know how to reply. maybe I can see now how you got that tag

watch this and Daredevil, then tell me how someone can see the huge difference in quality (especially writing) as subjective.

Tell me how I'm wrong that spelling and grammar are not the most objective elements of writing. There's a right and wrong way to spell a word*.

Pacing, dialogue, plot twists, whatever there's all an element of preference or subjectivity in the same way as with music or art but if you miss a full stop or question mark in a sentence, capitalize Poorly or dont an apostrophe thats pretty clear an error of objective measure do you understand what i mean

*and even that's not crystal clear between UK and US spelling!

What bothers me the most about these kind of threads are the drive by comments.

Some pithy, snarky comment about the show with never any in depth critique.

And it's the same people!!!

Are the comments wrong? Arrow by far isn't a good show. It is around 4/10. I don't think I've met someone who's generally praised the show. It had a cool concept with the "no super powers" thing in the first season then they shat on it and it's become this weird mess of CW and super heroes. Come for the gifs and laughs I do.

Are the comments wrong? Arrow by far isn't a good show. It is around 4/10. I don't think I've met someone who's generally praised the show. It had a cool concept with the "no super powers" thing in the first season then they shat on it and it's become this weird mess of CW and super heroes. Come for the gifs and laughs I do.
What are you a fan of anyway? I saw your disappointment for TFA in the Star Wars trailer thread. Not that I'm judging or criticizing, just genuinely curious.

What are you a fan of anyway? I saw your disappointment for TFA in the Star Wars trailer thread. Not that I'm judging or criticizing, just genuinely curious.

I'm not a fan of a lot of big blockbusters because they are usually shallow and dumb. The bigger blockbusters are more talked about.

How is this important to Arrow's quality?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Oh sweet this thread is somehow worse than season 3 and its thread put together now.

I'm not a fan of a lot of big blockbusters because they are usually shallow and dumb. The bigger blockbusters are more talked about.

How is this important to Arrow's quality?
It's not, lol. I was just genuinely curious, like I said. I guess I could've PMed, but I find them extra weird.

I really didn't mean any harm by asking, lol.

I think Arrow and Flash would be magnitudes better if they removed the melodramatic aspects of the show. Earth-2 Wells is amazing because he's not bogged down by "GOTTA WORK AS A TEAM", "HAVE FAITH", "I'M NEVER ALONE WITH FRIENDS LIKE THESE". Those, to me, lessen the show.

Yeah sorry. :( I don't mean to feed, if I did. I don't really tend to post in Arrow/Flash threads anymore because they aren't fun to read.

Like it still irks me that I get hyped over a Captain Cold episode and go into the Flash thread to read a million posts shitting on Cold puns. Like that's the best part of his episodes for me.

PreFire

Anyway

Not being a fan of last season, I actually like this season. Like every show, it has its cons. But I like it. Can't wait to see Ray Palmer in microscopic form.

Oh and that flash crossover coming up has me hyped

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
What's Colton doing now?

The last time I saw him he was in a Puzzles and Dragons ad.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I don't know, I personally put some shows in their own little bubble. I don't analyze Arrow or The Flash on the same level I would look at Mad Men or The Knick. They're on completely different levels and trying to accomplish different things. We could sit here all day and break down how formulaic Arrow and Flash are...but I like to think there is still entertainment to be gotten from them. These are my guilty pleasure shows.

Arrow and the Flash are dumb shows, neither is ever going to going to be nominated for an Emmy for writing or acting for that matter. Bad writing or not it doesn't mean they can't be fun overall. As an 80s/early 90s kid who loved himself some "cheesy" shows and movies with questionable writing at times it takes quite a bit to turn me off. Last season of Arrow absolutely had some horrendous writing and questionable direction. Remember when they completely forgot about Roy during the encounter with Ray in his suit? Even Guggenheim admitted they fucked up.

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrow and the Flash are dumb shows, neither is ever going to going to be nominated for an Emmy for writing or acting for that matter. Bad writing or not it doesn't mean they can't be fun overall. As an 80s/early 90s kid who loved himself some "cheesy" shows and movies with questionable writing at times it takes quite a bit to turn me off. Last season of Arrow absolutely had some horrendous writing and questionable direction. Remember when they completely forgot about Roy during the encounter with Ray in his suit? Even Guggenheim admitted they fucked up.

Absolutely serious: Blake Neely should have been nominated for Outstanding Music Composition for a Series. Even if it's just a Creative Arts Emmy. Flash's S1 soundtrack is sublime. So is Arrow S3 which I keep meaning to post about in depth.

Flash got a nomination for Grodd's visual effects at least!

And the Roy thing was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom