• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

I haven't participated in a while, thanks to Arcipello for bumping this thread with awesome stuff all the time.
Everyone's posting good stuff here, I just wanted to comment on some sorry if I'm very brief.

Cool Avatar drawing Raging, very cool pose.
I like the cat wearing the dog costume zoukka, nice inks.
Great drawings by extollere as well, doesn't get as much mention as it should.
OchreHand, those are awesome environments, the balloons add a lot to the image.
Really good line work by Divvy.

Now is my turn to put some of my recent stuff up.

C_O_W__one_fifty_one_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

Lich_Dragon_C_O_W__150_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

Wake_up____by_BlkCelebration.jpg

Doz_by_BlkCelebration.jpg

Cmagus

Some very talented people on here.Anyways I'll throw my hat in.This is just something I have been working on in unreal.Nothing special just practicing some thing but I thouhgt I would share.Still a work in progress but whatever.

level4.png

This is one of the illustrations I did for the Daily Texan. It was for an article about movie dealing with space. It was printed much smaller than I thought and a lot of detail was lost, but thats was alright. It looked ok.
Space_Illustration_by_lhmx.jpg

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cmagus said:
Some very talented people on here.Anyways I'll throw my hat in.This is just something I have been working on in unreal.Nothing special just practicing some thing but I thouhgt I would share.Still a work in progress but whatever.

level4.png

Are those your models and textures thwon into the Unreal editor for a mod? If so, those look awesome! Great job so far! I love the dirty look, maybe some more color in a few places could make it pop more.

Meh, wish I had a good final work to post . . . all I have been doing is loose character drawings. The only finished/ digital/ colored thing I have is a Naruto fanart. :/

ianp622 said:
Some pictures I did of people on the train. I draw people that are either asleep or reading so they don't notice I'm drawing them.

Constructive criticism is welcome.

You should use more shadow. You'll notice when you look at faces more closely, you'll see that they're not as illuminated as they seem at first. When you make far bigger shadow parts, faces will become way more 3-dimensional and look more realistic. You don't have to worry about small mistakes in the anatomy or something like that then either.

zoukka

my name is ed: I think the image looks better actually when scaled smaller.
ianp622: I'm sure you are in a good start at drawing. Remember to use more straight lines though. It feels weird at first but trust me it helps a lot.
Dreweyes: Why represent the sprite at that resolution? I can see it's very good, but the size takes away some of it's effect.

Cmagus

Raging Spaniard said:
Are those your models and textures thwon into the Unreal editor for a mod? If so, those look awesome! Great job so far! I love the dirty look, maybe some more color in a few places could make it pop more.

It's all my stuff but it isnt really a mod more of a scene.I thought about it but school starts soon so I will be pretty busy orib making some sort of mod in class.Thanks for the comment though

zoukka said:
my name is ed: I think the image looks better actually when scaled smaller.
ianp622: I'm sure you are in a good start at drawing. Remember to use more straight lines though. It feels weird at first but trust me it helps a lot.
Dreweyes: Why represent the sprite at that resolution? I can see it's very good, but the size takes away some of it's effect.
Oh I know, they just printed it waaay smaller than I thought. I thought it would be printed 2" x2" or so but it was like 1"x1". It was just even smaller than I thought. The coloring is pretty simple because one time, I tried to get a bit fancy with coloring and few details showed up. It just got lost on that newsprint

Burli

Pringo
zoukka said:
Keeping the traditional pencil art alive :)

1250537229_img-d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e.jpg

The final piece will have text too so that explains the loose composition.

Brilliant - I love your style, it reminds me of my own in a few ways but I really need to sort my life out when it comes to improving my grasp on anatomy and perspective (Which you've nailed) - not sure where to start though.

Mik2121

Cmagus said:
That was a little uncalled for
My bad, I was just kidding but I guess I should have said that, otherwise, it looks nice!
The columns look a bit organic though, so you might want to modify something there? (maybe too many triangles there, so it looks smoother than it should be?) What version of the UnrealEd are you using? 2? I used the original (for ut99) and 2 (ut2k3/3k4) but stopped using it a few years ago. Are you importing your own 3d meshes i guess?

Cmagus

hope you guys don't mind me posting updates this is the last on this scene.It's cool if you don't like it man that is no big deal.Anyways toned down the bloom (although there is a little I like it) and fixed up some of the dynamic lighting issues.

Submission_RobertsJREV2.png

ProudClod

Non-existent Member
You guys are simply amazing. This thread has inspired me to get back into art. I'll post something when I'm done :p

DarkKyo

Lol I was just sketching on a pad of paper and suddenly I felt like saving it(as in file->save). I think I'm losing it.

Timo

3505ml3.png

24e955k.jpg

10nvxn9.png

I need to learn my way around photoshop wayyy more but I know a few tricks now at least.

vitaminwateryum and DM_Uselink, really awesome stuff.

More comics! The first and third are okay. I could have done better. I really like the second one though. I dont know why the first one is bigger than the other two. *shrug*
51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
Hey guys, so I entered into the art contest at wizarduniverse.com for their Bayonetta Re-Envisioned art contest, but because I didn't make it into their top selection, the only way to vote for my entry is by sending an email to:

BayonettaArtContest@gmail.com with the subject line "VOTE ELLIS KIM"

4sfh4i.jpg

You can view my entry second to the bottom here, or on my DA account here with extra detail in description, or just read my thought process here:

So to give my "re-envisioning" of Bayonetta a little bit of context, I'll describe how I came to drawing her the way I did.

As noted in my journal, I recently watched the Aliens Quadrilogy, and I just loved how Winona Ryder looked in it. I also generally have a fondness for tall ladies with pixie cuts. With those two in mind, I went on to draw her out. I didn't want to do a super stylish pose or angle, as this is more along the lines of costume design than anything else, and one aspect I'm most proud of is my approach to her 4-limbed weaponry system. She's asymmetrical (or diagonally-inclined?) in terms of the weapon placements, but I love the idea of using rings with strings as a remote switch mechanism. Not only does it work an accessory design, but there's a physicality to it as well.

Her knee pads were actually inspired by a co-worker's knee pads at work, and how the straps actually tether off to the sides, creating a rather unique, dangly look. The pants were inspired by a nude model who I adore, and also semi-inspired her design. The knife purse/patch is inspired by MGS4's Vamp costume design, and the idea behind their inclusion is for the sole purpose of long-distance silent kills and general projectiles.

Her dress is inspired by something that a friend made in highschool out of her bag. The inclusion of lacing in particular is inspired by her design.

The moon medallion is my own attempt to try and include at least more than one visual motif that's carried over from Bayonetta's original design. I wanted to throw in those red ribbons she has in her hair somewhere here as well, but I just couldn't think of anything that could work without looking stupid. and out of place.

Finally, I want to talk about the sword on her right leg. It looks weird, right? The idea was inspired by the famous scene in MGS4 where Raiden helicopters between a bunch of Gekkos with his blade held by his feet. Not only that, but the idea is that it has an automatized extract/retract system for during kicks, or even just piercing. The ring would be for manual use. Sadly, I couldn't really illustrate visual cue that would imply that its automatized.

Her handguns are "normal," though, and I gave her a knife because that felt a bit more feminine than anything else. I thought about drawing a holster and scabbard of some sort, but chose not to, because I think it would be cooler for her to put them behind her sweater or something.

Something I liked about what I did with her costume design, though, is that I made her clothes design look like she's wearing what could be a few sizes too small. In reality, she's simply wearing chic wear, IMO. I love her outfit, except for those boots. The boots serve her well, in terms of practicality of her weaponry and her outfit's theme, but I wish I could have found something a bit more fitting, and I'm not talking about sneakers either.

Vote for a fellow GAFer, plz D:

zoukka

Yess Timo is back for total ownage! I don't know why by I get very "finnish" vibes from your style. It's really hard to portrait characters so that you can't easily locker them up to some stupid genres and archestyles (lol), but you achieve that.

And please don't shift totally to digital...

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Got this done last night, it was a wip from Dominance War that I never got around to finishing

kira.jpg

zoukka

I like the colour scheme you are using. The legs position look funny though. Also the left arm should be more exposed so that a blind fool like me doesn't mix it up with a huge neck at first glimpse :D

Raging Spaniard

zoukka said:
I like the colour scheme you are using. The legs position look funny though. Also the left arm should be more exposed so that a blind fool like me doesn't mix it up with a huge neck at first glimpse :D

uh, now I cant unsee it :\

Thanks!

Timo

zoukka said:
Yess Timo is back for total ownage! I don't know why by I get very "finnish" vibes from your style. It's really hard to portrait characters so that you can't easily locker them up to some stupid genres and archestyles (lol), but you achieve that.

And please don't shift totally to digital...

Oh man I didn't know anyone cared about my shit on here, hah. Nah man, I don't do just digital, I do digitally alter a lot of things though, like those. They all have original components though that were on paper, the Feels Good one even had hand done letters. I am working on a lot of just traditional stuff right now, one a scratchboard and one on clayboard, and I just made a linoleum print block, I just got t print it on Thursday, I will probably post them up.

zoukka

Do it!

I'm so sad my drawing hobby is pretty much dead for this year due to my studies. Well at least I'll be animating sprites, but it's not the same :(

Raging Spaniard

Doing the Monster Hunter 3 "design a weapon" contest, should be fun!

This is my first take, Im aiming to model and texture the design at the bottom

mh3_weapons_01.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
Yeah, the one at the bottom looks pretty sweet D: Can't wait to see it rendered :D

Also, just wanted to drop by and say that today is the last day for sending in a fan vote to the Bayonetta re-envision art contest thing. Though it ultimately doesn't effect whether I get to win anything or not, every vote helps, I think D:

So please email BayonettaArtContest@gmail.com with the subject line "VOTE ELLIS KIM" to send in your fan vote D: You can view my entry here in my DA account if you'd so like.

Also, I drew some Valkyria Chronicles fan art D:

marinachibifacelarge.png

2vty1kz.png

Work in progress. It's a project for my computer art class. The project is basically an exercise in cutting stuff out in photoshop. Bottom doesn't make sense yet. I'll figure something out.

Top Bottom