• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Thanks guys. I did the drawing entirely on PS. It was a fun piece to do.
I just saw you made it! Congrats Raging, I really liked the energy in your piece.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
DM_Uselink said:
Thanks guys. I did the drawing entirely on PS. It was a fun piece to do.
I just saw you made it! Congrats Raging, I really liked the energy in your piece.

Thanks! Im pretty excited, a good number of people I know made it in so its a nice feeling to see my generation of artists crop up.

I was looking at my piece today and Im gonna make some edits before I send it over, just some polish things.

Oh btw, started using Manga Studio today. Holy shit! Definitely gonna have to look at some tutorials, that thing is its own beast.

I really like your life painting stuff, you need to work at getting that looseness and flow into your other pieces I think. For your cartoony work I would suggest trying a flat color style.

Jhoan

I've mentioned numerous times before that I draw but never had the pictures to back it up because I was too lazy. The time has come to show them to you all so I hope you all enjoy and I apologize for the camera pics as I don't have a scanner so this is my only way to "scan" them if you will:

I drew this one while I was on vacation (the location is on the drawing). I was inspired by my niece hid behind who hid her face behind a curtain when I went to go visit my half-sister:
fFWVQl.jpg

I drew this one in 15 minutes using a pen from my imagination:
uM306l.jpg

My former math tutor. I drew it off a picture of him. It looks remarkably similar to the original one:
8SSCLl.jpg

Number one:
2H10tl.jpg

Playing the bongos (again, from my imagination)
o5zvJl.jpg

Same thing again:
rQgdql.jpg

I was thinking about The Expendables when I drew this one:
K40vCl.jpg

Another friend of mine, based on a picture of him again:
SnOe9l.jpg

I have a lot more drawings (including tons of doodles that I do in class when I'm bored), 2 paintings that I did for my painting class, graphic designs that I did for my old class, and stuff that I did with paints for another art class, so if you guys want to see more stuff, let me know. Unfortunately, I don't have an art page/online portfolio.

Xristot

Girl_both_sides.jpg

Been working on this on and off for a while. Had to take a break due to a rush of work that came in. Finally found some time to finish her up.

Shes gonna be animated with a cute monster type when all is said and done but who knows when thats gonna happen.

Sorry if the size is a little big. Just what I've been putting up elsewhere. Let me know if it's a problem and I'll fix it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Leeness: Thanks! Seems the majority of the stuff I draw these days are portraits...

Something looser for a change... Portal 2!

dpXJL.jpg

Leeness

Willy105: Thank you~

ExMachina: Another great picture! The angle on the Portal picture's background is great. I really enjoy your style.

MrBig

So here's the first of the pieces I'm doing over the break to help improve my skills.

ms2_4-22.jpg

I didn't want to add much detail, but I may not have added enough.

Please be harsh with crits, I'm doing these and posting them here so that I can learn.

Xtyle

MrBig said:
So here's the first of the pieces I'm doing over the break to help improve my skills.

I didn't want to add much detail, but I may not have added enough.

Please be harsh with crits, I'm doing these and posting them here so that I can learn.

Hard to have a resting place for my eyes. A focal point, area of interest would help.

ianp622

bigben85 said:
Hard to have a resting place for my eyes. A focal point, area of interest would help.
Agreed. You should be able to do that and balance out the dark spot on the far right at the same time. Maybe make the water darker near the shore.

Also, have you done any non-digital painting before?

Xtyle

These are some drawings I did couple months ago

futurecopxyz-1.jpg

futurecopxyz2-1.jpg

180784_10150101705728256_502363255_6267493_4381533_n.jpg

gorl-1.jpg

batman_720.jpg

warriorsdemise-1.jpg

Was going to do a finish piece based on this sketch but we will see
gor_fighting-1.jpg

And a Ryu since I love SF
ryu_720-1.jpg

Most of these are 1-character drawings. All are quick sketches and I made characters up as I drew (other than Batman and Ryu obivously:). Just trying to learn to draw on Cintiq better + getting back into drawing and relearning it a bit. Also trying to learn some new ways to draw.

Eventually I want to draw more than just the characters and want to put them with backdrops etc.

As always, feedback's welcomed

ianp622

Kylehimself said:
Threads like this annoy me due to my sever lack of talent in any field. Keep up the good work guys, some stuff in here is immense.
We all started somewhere. If you practice, you can become proficient. Some people have natural talent, sure, but art can be learned.

Xtyle

MrBig said:
So here's the first of the pieces I'm doing over the break to help improve my skills. Please be harsh with crits, I'm doing these and posting them here so that I can learn.

MrBig, I hope you don't hate me for doing this. I like your composition a lot. I did a quick edit on your original. If this is inappropriate, I apologize in advance and would take it down if it isn't ok with you.

In this case, 1 simple thing to do is to darken some areas to help bring out other areas.

ms2_4-22_fix.jpg

ms2_4-22_fix_green.jpg

MrBig

Thanks, I'll continue the side of that mountain on the right instead of a the sudden crease and downward slope, and I may add a bit of a small city over on the shore for a focal point.

Xtyle

MrBig said:
Thanks, I'll continue the side of that mountain on the right instead of a the sudden crease and downward slope, and I may add a bit of a small city over on the shore for a focal point.

Also, your artwork has a hidden animal in it. Is it intentional? :D

highrider

Banned
MrBig said:
No I didn't add anything like that, where do you see it?

i see it as well. the front hill looks like a bear laying flat. there is even a smaller hill that could be its paw.. at least that's what i see.

Jhoan

bigben85 said:
These are some drawings I did couple months ago

futurecopxyz-1.jpg

futurecopxyz2-1.jpg

180784_10150101705728256_502363255_6267493_4381533_n.jpg

Your sketches are crazy good. I'm getting strong Mass Effect vibe from these 3. And in the Batman one, I think I see a face to the left of the cape, but that's just me. Other than that, great drawings.

First up: Me drawing myself by looking at my mirror.
Zivx9.jpg

Now I just gotta figure if I'm going to draw Spider-Man or Solid Snake for my favorite character.... hmmm.

Someone decide for me! :p

P.S.
My eye isn't really that big, lol. I just noticed it now. o_O

Mik2121

RyanardoDaVinci said:
First up: Me drawing myself by looking at my mirror.
http://i.imgur.com/Zivx9.jpg[IMG]

Now I just gotta figure if I'm going to draw Spider-Man or Solid Snake for my favorite character.... hmmm.

Someone decide for me! :p

P.S.
My eye isn't really that big, lol. I just noticed it now. o_O[/QUOTE]
Go with Solid Snake, but don't imitate the Shinkawa style, just do it in your own.

Spiderman has been drawn way too many times in way too many styles.

I propose some kind of an art OT with a reasonable title so that I don't have to look at the word farts every time this thread pops up. ffs

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey dudes, I kind of want to make a new thread for this, but it seems kind of deuchey... anyways.

My wife Shelly is also an artist (heres her site) and currently shes trying to get her own merch going, shes already got some t-shirts and even a super mega cute Squid plushie made in China and all, look at that fucking squid!

300.jpg

Anyways, she made a Facebook page, if you could do me a huuuuge favor, please go there and become a follower, you would be in my awesome list! :)

Zekes!

5659627811_e0053bc562_b.jpg
5659627815_a09a1acbff_b.jpg

I was inspired by old retro cartoons for these two. The Metroid one was apparently posted on Kotaku I found out today.

Also, the stuff in this thread is awesome. I need to step my game up.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Great stuff, Zekes! I remember the Link piece from the Zelda art thread, and I'm really digging the Samuses. Her curves are definitely spot on for classic animation.

Got a dA account that we can follow?

Zekes!

ExMachina said:
Great stuff, Zekes! I remember the Link piece from the Zelda art thread, and I'm really digging the Samuses. Her curves are definitely spot on for classic animation.

Got a dA account that we can follow?

Hey, thanks a lot! I've always loved classic animation, and that love has only grown as I've gotten older. Same goes with Japanese anime; I can easily say Osamu Tezaku is my favourite Japanese artist for sure.

My DA is: http://villainzekes.deviantart.com/

I'm slowly working on putting up some actual finished pieces, haha.

Mik2121

Some mechanical sub-d modelling practice I did earlier during the lunch break. Took me two tries to get it to look alright-ish. It's a screw, anyway...

5oiYb.png

Kudos to all of you who post art in this thread, I've been trying to improve my drawing skills over the last few years but I always end up doing it in spurts so I never really get anywhere.
I get demotivated too easily when I get an idea but fail to put it on paper successfully or I just can't think of anything to draw at all, any small tips to help me out here? I guess persistence is the key but any other advice would be appreciated.

Satch

Banned
Nocturnowl said:
Kudos to all of you who post art in this thread, I've been trying to improve my drawing skills over the last few years but I always end up doing it in spurts so I never really get anywhere.
I get demotivated too easily when I get an idea but fail to put it on paper successfully or I just can't think of anything to draw at all, any small tips to help me out here? I guess persistence is the key but any other advice would be appreciated.
I'm trying to get some things set up for a drawing challenge thread much like the writing challenges we have floating around on GAF. It's taking some time but it'll get done :lol

In the meantime, you would do well to get a tumblr, blogger or dA page (I suggest all three) and start following artists that inspire you most!

www.tumblr.com
www.blogger.com
www.deviantart.com

What kind of art do you like? Maybe GAF can suggest some artists to you that will fall in line with your tastes.

Satchwar said:
I'm trying to get some things set up for a drawing challenge thread much like the writing challenges we have floating around on GAF. It's taking some time but it'll get done :lol

In the meantime, you would do well to get a tumblr, blogger or dA page (I suggest all three) and start following artists that inspire you most!

www.tumblr.com
www.blogger.com
www.deviantart.com

What kind of art do you like? Maybe GAF can suggest some artists to you that will fall in line with your tastes.
Thanks for the links.
As for art style I'm definitely geared more towards the cartooning side of art myself, that said i've spent the past few months trying to get human anatomy down, I swear shading is my enemy.
And the drawing challenge thread idea sounds great! it would be great to see peoples various takes on a chosen topic, I may dare to try my hand at it if it comes to pass.

SHAZOOM

Nocturnowl said:
Thanks for the links.
As for art style I'm definitely geared more towards the cartooning side of art myself, that said i've spent the past few months trying to get human anatomy down, I swear shading is my enemy.
And the drawing challenge thread idea sounds great! it would be great to see peoples various takes on a chosen topic, I may dare to try my hand at it if it comes to pass.

I'm the same with human anatomy/shading. I prefer to sort of caricature the models in clean lines/marker shadows instead of pencil shading.

The Lamp

Do you guys have any recommended methods/brush sets/etc. on how to draw and sketch and paint in Photoshop? Specific things you do or settings or brushes that you use?

Top Bottom