• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Dreweyes

New AKIRA design I made for my t-shirt store :)

What do ya guys think?

http://www.redbubble.com/people/drewwise/works/8233478-tokyo-pill

wR0hh.png

Love it, Drew.
I quite like the cards, Timbuktu. Feels really nostalgic.

Some illustration thingy I made for a secret santa dealio.
Click for a bigger, uglier version.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Some art regarding a personal project :) For now its just early concepts, but i have some big plans.

sara_01.jpg

tumblr_lwvl1z3aJw1qed0geo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lwvl1z3aJw1qed0geo2_500.jpg
tumblr_lwvl1z3aJw1qed0geo4_400.jpg

hero_01.jpg

misc_009.jpg

shaolin_05.jpg

misc_003.jpg

misc_001.jpg

misc_004.jpg

chumps

tumblr_lww4qumlks1qccgmso1_500.jpg

1.1.rachel.zelda 11x14 colored pencil and graphite on paper.

This is one of two pieces (the other’s a mysterious gouache painting) I’ll be showing in the Supersonic Electronic Invitational which opens Thursday, January 5th at Spoke Art in San Francisco. I’m getting on a giant bird to be there for the opening!

Christmas doodle:

tumblr_lwslzhjUMn1qccgmso1_500.jpg

Duderz

Banned
What is the policy for life drawings posted in here? I have drawings of plenty of nude models, but I don't want to get banned over it!

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but are there any good books or resources for learning how to draw (and paint too). I've taken some art classes in high school, but that was four years ago and I've forgotten a ton of stuff. I'd like to seriously get back into drawing, but I'm not sure what's a good way to start.

figure.jpg

head_hands.jpg

Two very good books to start with; Andrew Loomis was a master draftsman, and if you want to get into a career with art I'd recommend these to start out with. Just copy everything you see in them.

I had been working on this for a while and stepped away from it for what seems a few months. I wanted to finish it before the end of the year so here goes. It is inspired by The Battle of Hoth from Star Wars:

battle_of_hoth_inspired_by_blkcelebration-d4ks2dh.jpg

What is the policy for life drawings posted in here? I have drawings of plenty of nude models, but I don't want to get banned over it!

figure.jpg

head_hands.jpg

Two very good books to start with; Andrew Loomis was a master draftsman, and if you want to get into a career with art I'd recommend these to start out with. Just copy everything you see in them.

Dont think nude drawing are allowed ,

also another great book for anaotomy is this:

41s0my79RrL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
yes there is nudity in this book just a FYI, but if your a artist nudity should be no problem for you.

Prax

Secret Santa trades I made on DeviantArt:

Another person's character. ~2 hours
sgpa_gift_exchange___to_shadionafanforever_by_meibatsu-d4kil0e.png

Fanart of Fire Emblem 4~! Ira + Lex! ~5 hours
fe_club_secret_santa___to_tempurastick_by_meibatsu-d4kzz14.png

I need to learn to make better-looking snow. >__>

Monocle

R6yK2.jpg

cRAAM.jpg

This is the correct answer. You can't go wrong with Loomis.

cbox

Whipped out the ol sketchpad in bed the other night, Gotta get the sketching skills back up to how I used to be. All these years designing websites has taken me away from sketching whatever's in my brain! I remember all my notebooks in highschool had sketches instead of useful notes, oh well - I'm sure the lot of you have the same history :p

bunch of the shadows and lines are off, not bad for laying half asleep

iio-2.jpg

Sofo

^Love the colours in that piece, Sofo

972elf2_smallWEB.png

Collab with a friend.
You're very kind! Thank you. I wasn't completely sure of the confetti, but it doesn't look so bad as a whole. I still feel the colors look a bit washed out though, but I'm always scared of adding too much contrast, and then lose the "watery" effect of the watercolors.

daedalius

Do a lot of you digital painters start by adding grey values and then blocking in colour, or start with colours?

I usually start in greyscale and then add color as early as possible with a Color layer glaze, then I make a new layer on top of both and paint.

Philia

xmas for this year. a bit melancholic perhaps? bah humbug.

Just wanted to say I love these. <3

Um... I guess I could introduce myself. I'm just a lousy artist (with no style to call her own or so she believes lol) but I can eyeball stuff really well. My technique is in constant improvement... at least with lead I had hit a wall. I could learn different methods of penciling and all but I sure hate the residue it'd leave. I know there's stuff you can spray on it to prevent smudges but ehhh. I wasn't all that serious about preserving stuff since I was still in college and still learning as I go. I wasn't even sure if I'm good enough for the real world lol. One of my classmates was a tattoo artist and he does phenomenal stuff. Like... fish eye style of a guy peeking through the peep hole. It was pretty good and as prevalent I see in this thread, photoshop/computer paint jobs I could get on top of it if I was a bit more pc savvy. But I enjoy doing some of this stuff. I mean I really like my stuff as I'm learning. I think that's the important thing.

Anyway... anyway... here's some of my stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/s4CKD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/DBavk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QMNW8.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/by85Q.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/6QQbS.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/yxqCb.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jSqEt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xAcxC.jpg

Xun

Working on a piece of Zelda fan art as we speak.

I don't normally do fan art, but I felt inspired to do some after I finished the game. That and I need to get back into drawing again.

I'll also be attending some life drawing classes again later this year, but I just need the money first.

MrBig

I usually get my stuff printed on one of my teacher's roll printers, but he needs to order some new paper for it. I need to get some things printed quickly, where is the best cheapish commercial place that I can get it done locally?
I've got an AOE and Micheals near me but don't know if they do printing. Are the people who work at Kinkos actually familiar with getting stuff printed right? Last time I went to Office Depot and they didn't even have it calibrated to their screens
Looking for ~20" horizontal prints

just wanted to ask a question, how do guys draw your head? start off with an oval,cube? the loomis way or the bridgeman way? or do you not use construction lines at all.

dude

dude
I've been looking into buying a new anatomy book, I've used "An Atlas of Anatomy for Artists" I got for my father so far, but it's practically unusable now as time took a its toll on it.
I've thought of buying the book again, but I thought mabe there's something newer and better I should get. Any recommendations?

just wanted to ask a question, how do guys draw your head? start off with an oval,cube? the loomis way or the bridgeman way? or do you not use construction lines at all.
Usually I start with the eyes or the nose. sometimes the lips. I almost never use construction lines for portraits.

Kyaw

In a recent self-portrait, I started with the eyes and then the nose. Then went onto the mouth area.

Prax

Do a lot of you digital painters start by adding grey values and then blocking in colour, or start with colours?
I am not very pro or efficient (or proficient for that matter lol), but I just start with colours right away. I attempted the greyscale method years ago, but found it too frustrating and gave up. Perhaps a reason why I don't have good grasp on lighting~!

I start with an oval/shield-ish shape for a rough outline.
I do this both for my more anime stuff and also more realistic stuff (realism leading to more refinement of the head shape and facial features--though I haven't done any realism for a long while now so..).
Then I tend to draw in the nose to have an "anchor" point for the rest of the face. That way I know where to place the brows, ear, eyes, and mouth. I use more guidelines if it's an angle that's harder to draw (under chin or overhead).

I don't know how people can draw an eye or inner details first and then put a head around it. I find all the features come out even more crooked looking when I try it that way (easier for me to place things within a boundary than to enclose it afterwards). I tend to just draw in ballpoint pen though, so maybe my method is to compensate for not being able to erase lines.

Pretty much the fastest way for me to draw an "appealing" head, especially for males:
head_doodles_by_meibatsu-d4lnqvj.jpg

Monocle

I prefer Loomis's way to lock in the basic masses (brain case, lower jaw) and facial divisions (center line, jaw line, nose line, brow line, hair line). From there I use whichever methods seem most suitable to place the features. I alter my approach depending on the angle of the head I'm drawing. Extreme positions I'm unused to demand a lot more linework to define the head and clarify what it's doing. At first I like to I stick with straight lines until I have a strong scaffold of angular forms to carve into with curves. The process is a lot like actual sculpting.

However you choose to build your heads, you want to construct a rock-solid understructure whose every part is deliberately related to everything else, if not with actual construction lines then in your mind (I recommend the construction lines). All this before you start thinking about detail. The main disadvantage to starting with just one feature and working outward is that you're reversing the steps that help you stay focused on the big simple masses that give a head the weight of a real object. You don't build a house by starting with a doorknob.

Hey folks. My first nervous post in here...truly in the pantheon of masters, a humbling and inspiring thread experience. I'm just a hobbyist who never really took his love of scribbling any further than keeping it something to do between family life and work.

b29a472c0cced62b04942e75fee6d1c6d2aaf989.png

This one was for a friend's blog; we are both fans of Dinotopia, so it was just a bit of fan bleed-through.

03a7daf6926dd71702b1f297f2aa8e3345a1681a.png

Just a few vehicle/mech creations.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Pylon, those are nice! Its cool that you kept up with it as a hobby, being an artist can be very rewarding regardless of what the final use for the art is. Heck, all of my favorite art that I've done has always been vocational, not for pro purposes.

Thanks man. Means a heck of a lot, especially coming from a career artist!

I've been lurking around and checking out your blog from time to time, getting a lot of inspiration from your stuff. I guess these days it's even more satisfying to get a piece done, against the tide of daily life. It's my aim of 2012; despite workload and family, to up the creative output and learn new techniques.

iamcenok

Don't recall if I've posted any of my work in this thread.

This is my most recent stuff.. mostly WIP stuffs but it's something..

An emblem for my friends COD clan. DropBears.
6437687903_740885b295_z.jpg

6433956469_b4dc8a8ae9_z.jpg

A portrait my friend asked me to do.
6449424751_9819727dfc_z.jpg

And lastly a very crude drawing I did using china markers. (I effing loathe china markers)
For a possible web comic dealie my friend and I may do.
6641859007_386de77c8f_z.jpg

Raging Spaniard

Thanks man. Means a heck of a lot, especially coming from a career artist!

I've been lurking around and checking out your blog from time to time, getting a lot of inspiration from your stuff. I guess these days it's even more satisfying to get a piece done, against the tide of daily life. It's my aim of 2012; despite workload and family, to up the creative output and learn new techniques.

Thanks a lot! Im trying hard to get more people to the blog, but people tend to not be very vocal, so its hard for me to gauge whos actually looking instead of bots and shit :)

Its time to get serious with my book project, heres the (current) final design for the female lead, Sara

sara_012.jpg

Her lowdown, shes an MMA fighter with a bad attitude. Still working on her exact bio, but shes adopted and p[ractices her birth parents style of fighting, has a bit of a shit attitude, but is actually a nice enough girl.

Im also working on an illustration to try to get some hype going, heres a wip:

promo_01_wip_01.jpg

Love it. And I'll also do my part and become a proud commenter, instead of a creepy lurker.

Looking for to seeing more characters and environments. Any further thoughts on the process at this point?

daedalius

Wow gogo having your domain run out on a Monday morning, ugh.

Was wondering why my images weren't showing up, lol.

Whew, got it fixed.

Sofo

Im also working on an illustration to try to get some hype going, heres a wip:

promo_01_wip_01.jpg
I have a thing for progress shots. Definitely hyped here!

I've recently managed to scan a couple of drawings (well, finished one this weekend but the other was done a month ago).

Girl with dragon by ietes, on Flickr

(I guess I have a thing for drawing dragons lately)

Ibuki, on the scene! (with background) by ietes, on Flickr

(without background looked a bit boring, can find it here)

Sofo

I love that Ibuki! I really ought to pay attention to your Tumblr more, I made a new year resolution to get more involved with people there but I haven't logged in for a few days.
Ah! Finally linked the gaffer to the tumbler! Thanks a lot for your kind words! I myself need to update more, as well as draw more. I tend to get tired and just want to start painting, and then kick myself when I see anatomy errors or wrong stuff!

Love those gouaches, Duderz!

Top Bottom