• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

Prax

New Illustration wip, all digital. You guys gotta try the Vanishing Point tool in Photoshop, its fantastic.

lucha_promo_2_wip01.jpg

There's a VANISHING POINT TOOL in Photoshop?? xD
Aahh.. so many things I don't even know.
It was only recently that I figured out ctrl+enter = confirm changes.

I will definitely keep it in mind for when I try to do something with a dynamic angle the next time.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
There's a VANISHING POINT TOOL in Photoshop?? xD
Aahh.. so many things I don't even know.
It was only recently that I figured out ctrl+enter = confirm changes.

I will definitely keep it in mind for when I try to do something with a dynamic angle the next time.

This gentleman is kinda boring, but it goes through the whole thing. The filter still ha sits kinks, but its pretty useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJzR7YYQvo

A perspective hint, for anybody who struggles with it. I recommend drawing the first element in your scene in whatever angle you find awesome without worrying about perspective. Once youve done that and want to take it to the next level of detail OR want to make a scene around it, thats when you break out perspective grids. That way you dont stifle your imagination by making a grid before youve drawn anything.

(._.)

Banned
Lookin good RS, lots of energy ;) you going to work on it more?

Finished the base-mesh for my axe for the Darksiders 2 weapon contest

time to get sculpting :)

Duh, I should l2read... looking forward to seeing more :)

Really nice work. are you working in maya?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Hey guys, I'm a bit of an artist myself (mainly as a hobby) and I've been looking into getting a pc tablet. What do you guys recommend?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Hey guys, I'm a bit of an artist myself (mainly as a hobby) and I've been looking into getting a pc tablet. What do you guys recommend?

Well, its kind of a monopoly so its pretty easy. If you have a low budget get a Bamboo, if you have a high budget get the newest Intuos model (5).

Medium size will do.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Well, its kind of a monopoly so its pretty easy. If you have a low budget get a Bamboo, if you have a high budget get the newest Intuos model (5).

Medium size will do.

Which Bamboo would you recommend? I've been eyeing the Capture on Amazon for a while.

Edit: The Create is a tad more tempting.

exhume

I don't know what's on the market right now but I have a Bamboo Fun that's been kicking for about 5 years now and still going strong. It's tiny compared to the Intuoses my more profesh friends lug around but I've come to prefer the smaller size, no giant armstrokes required.

While I'm here, I wonder if I could get a little help with this pic that I'm drawing for a friend.

EfzQD.jpg

Are his arms too short? I keep looking at it and thinking they're fine, then I zoom in and his head looks like a melon. Ah, anatomy!
Edit: Oh and also the pose, keep it or change it?

Prax

This gentleman is kinda boring, but it goes through the whole thing. The filter still ha sits kinks, but its pretty useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJzR7YYQvo

A perspective hint, for anybody who struggles with it. I recommend drawing the first element in your scene in whatever angle you find awesome without worrying about perspective. Once youve done that and want to take it to the next level of detail OR want to make a scene around it, thats when you break out perspective grids. That way you dont stifle your imagination by making a grid before youve drawn anything.
Thanks! And that's a good tip. It feels like that's what i naturally would have done anyway, since I am a bad planner.

Which Bamboo would you recommend? I've been eyeing the Capture on Amazon for a while.

Edit: The Create is a tad more tempting.
I would buy large Bamboo one (Bamboo Create). Don't even bother with the small size. I upgraded from a 4x5 Graphire (bamboo took over the Graphire line) to a 6x8 Intuos 3 and my hand stopped hurting so much.

I don't know what's on the market right now but I have a Bamboo Fun that's been kicking for about 5 years now and still going strong. It's tiny compared to the Intuoses my more profesh friends lug around but I've come to prefer the smaller size, no giant armstrokes required.

While I'm here, I wonder if I could get a little help with this pic that I'm drawing for a friend.

EfzQD.jpg

Are his arms too short? I keep looking at it and thinking they're fine, then I zoom in and his head looks like a melon. Ah, anatomy!
Forearm on left arm (sword arm) may be too short--or it looks that way due to cloth wrinkling on the elbow.
Forehead looks like it may be too prominent/wide because of how the hair is hiding the face?
The legs look positioned a little bit awkwardly, but I can't really tell what they will be doing and the angle of the feet, so.. that may need to be detailed a bit more before I can say.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback

EfzQD.jpg

Lucky friend! It's nice what you have so far. I like the colours.

The pose could do with a bit more "oomph" - so far he looks a little bored while striking with the sword, which probably isn't what you wanted. I think it's his free arm that's the make-or-break for this; if that could be repositioned then I think it would be much stronger. Try acting it out yourself (the full sword-swiping motion, not just standing still in that pose) and notice what you instinctively do with the other arm. If you can do it in front of a full length mirror then that would be even more helpful. You might get away with it as it is depending on how you draw the hand, actually, that ought to make a big difference.

Anyway, good luck! I hope your friend likes it. :D

I've used my intous 4 for several years. I've had to replace the nibs and drawing surface once; but I love it. I'd like to try the Cintic one day and see how much better it is.

Here's a quick environment drawing I did a couple of nights ago.

quick_desert_by_blkcelebration-d4sp7pp.png

zoukka

Any of you guys have any idea why my model would disappear in Zbrush sometimes when I pan/rotate/zoom on it?

If i pan/rotate/zoom my view again it will come back... seems like a video bug.

Didn't deter me too much... first pass at the sculpt

I think your axe is quite cool, but would it be possible to strengthen the grip a little? It looks too thin to even support the weight of the blade parts :)

Sofo

Exhume, I really like the design and colors! I suck at proportions myself, but I think the sword arm needs a bit of fixing.

How do you guys manage such impressing enviro scenes? I just have no imagination and half of the time it looks like the typical house with a garden that any 5-year-old can do. Do you guys use references? I've been looking to get some books for that, but I'm being kinda cheap so I might just stick with google images. '-'

My Mami Tomoe fanart, from Puella Magis Madoka Magica is going pretty well, but I'm kinda stuck on the background. I'll see if I can post some wip shots of it, it'd be great if you had tips. Thanks in advance!

daedalius

I think your axe is quite cool, but would it be possible to strengthen the grip a little? It looks too thin to even support the weight of the blade parts :)

I actually can't change the haft very much, as it has to match a reference we were given for the contest; I'd just have to scale down the head :p Glad you like it

Raging Spaniard

Heres an update. I redrew the characters, now theyre like halfway done and recolored the background a bit so the scene reads more clearly

lucha_promo_2_wip02.jpg

Prax

Art trade~~!
It actually took me a few months to return my half of the trade.. but I'm glad she is a patient person.
My character (guy at top) trying to manipulate her character (guy at bottom) to agree to turn into an ocean spirit and help protect the seas.
I uhh.. I know the light sourcing is probably inconsistent, but I am a lazy woman when it comes to references. (probably some muscle/anatomy problems too, but hopefully not too glaring that it detracts from everything!). It took me much effort to try to keep my lines thin instead of thickening everything like I usually want to, but you can still see that I go over the lines in some parts like the arms.
art_trade___i_promise_to_be_gentle____by_meibatsu-d4swaro.jpg

We should do an art trade or collab in this thread at some point.
Not any time soon though, since I would want to participate too, and I already have too many other collabs and trades going on right now.. but maybe in a couple of months or something.

zoukka

Heres an update. I redrew the characters, now theyre like halfway done and recolored the background a bit so the scene reads more clearly

lucha_promo_2_wip02.jpg

I like your own universe that you are creating here. It's like Street Fighter meets Parkour meets Tekkonkinkreet :) So I made a little paintover instead of giving wordly feedback because it should make my feedback more understandable.

rsKc5.png

I just made the girl fall from closer to "camera" to give her more impact, she seemed very small in your original and while it might be that the guy is as big as a mountain, I feel the composition loses a bit of impact with like that. I also added a bit of shadow to the guy following your existing shadowing just to make it more clear that the girl is aiming at him.

I hope you don't mind and I think this image will be great once finished. Love the Adidas pants on the boxer.

EDIT: lol now that I saw your first sketch I realise I kinda "remade it" accidentally.

Raging Spaniard

That looks a lot better actually! I'll apply the changes today :)

Thanks for taking the time! I look at these for so damn long that I miss this type of stuff.

Raging Spaniard

BTW zoukka, your old avatar >>>>>>>>> ...

Anyways, this is from yesterday. FLCL is my favorite anime and since I dont drive any sort of vehicle, I gotta compensate somehow!

raging_spaniard_2012_vespa.jpg

Also, since nobody seems to care in the thread I made, please check out Drawing Lance! Its a D&D inspired webcomic by my friend Rick Lacy, who incidentally was a character concept artist for Venture Bros and sweet dude all around.

daedalius

BTW zoukka, your old avatar >>>>>>>>> ...

Anyways, this is from yesterday. FLCL is my favorite anime and since I dont drive any sort of vehicle, I gotta compensate somehow.

Also, since nobody seems to care in the thread I made, please check out Drawing Lance! Its a D&D inspired webcomic by my friend Rick Lacy, who incidentally was a character concept artist for Venture Bros and sweet dude all around.

FLCL is madness wrapped in insanity, good show.

Will check out the webcomic, looks good ;)

Stalfos

That looks a lot better actually! I'll apply the changes today :)

Thanks for taking the time! I look at these for so damn long that I miss this type of stuff.

I think you should put the second leg back on the girl as well. Looks weird without it even if its supposed to be hidden.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Major - and I mean MAJOR - brownie points for that scratchboard stuff, it looks amazing. I remember those sets you'd get when you were younger, where you'd scratch out an image of an elephant or some such thing. Just did not have the patience for that at all.

*Bow, bow*

Sofo

Wow, I have no words at that scratching board! It came out so clean, too, amazing!

Here's an update on my current drawing! What do you guys think of the shadow? As a hobbyist I fail at obvious things such as lighting/shadows and well, just a whole bunch of others including anatomy, but! I'm willing to learn, so any feedback is more than welcome.

Right now I think it's my best work in this kind of style, I'm liking it, though I wish I could learn faster! Here it is:

tumblr_m10wnnlWO51qbppwdo1_r1_1280.jpg

Timo

nymphsfinal.jpg

I'm about a month away from my senior show. Jeezzzz.

EDIT:: Oh I forgot this quick author portrait I did for a book I'm gonna be in the summer sometime. I'll make sure to pimp it at that time.

joshtierney.jpg

Sofo

My first backlit cut-out animation for university

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5xKM3kC2o

It isn't that great, and a table that defies gravity and flies towards the ceiling is involved, but it's my first try. Took about 5 hours of shooting (for a whole 9 seconds!). It was fun, but the prep gets old really fast.

That was cool! It's just your first, as you said, I think a bit more grain on the cut-outs would have been made it more "old". Not sure if I expressed myself well!

Anyway, a guest in my Madoka Magica fanart piece (this is just the colored doodle)

tumblr_m12nxr7yVI1qbppwdo1_500.jpg

Not entirely a finished product, but I've been doing a few random sprites & background images recently.

This is pretty much a compilation of some recent work.

zMvCp.png

Nice one, Neoriceisgood! Love the swag on the guy on the left.

That was cool! It's just your first, as you said, I think a bit more grain on the cut-outs would have been made it more "old". Not sure if I expressed myself well!

Anyway, a guest in my Madoka Magica fanart piece (this is just the colored doodle)

tumblr_m12nxr7yVI1qbppwdo1_500.jpg

Thanks Sofo, it was basically just supposed to be a 4 second short demonstrating spacing and movement, but I didn't really plan it and just made it up as I went along!

Love your pic, so cute ^_^

Thanks for the comment Prax, I somehow missed it before. Great use of color on your latest.

Likewise for Timo, I really like the color you have used on your recent ones.

Spaniard- Looking forward to the finished piece, I do agree with Stalfos though, I keep wanting to see that other leg in there.
I need to mess around with the vanishing tool. Also, I'm digging that caricature (of yourself?), reminds me of some Toriyama art.

...and here is another "quick" environment I just finished:

floating_houses_in_the_night_by_blkcelebration-d4tbxln.png

daedalius

Any of you guys have any idea how the creation of in-game environment assets happens? Lets say I'm using UDK... will go do some of my own research obviously, but some starting advice would be helpful I imagine.

Really enjoying doing this weapon for the DS2 contest, and I've learned an absolute truckload; I feel like I'm really getting back into doing the 3d stuff :) <3 sculpting. The only thing that annoys the crap out of me is UVs.

Raging Spaniard

sara_skullgirls.jpg

Did a bit of an experiment this weekend, gave my “Lucha Town” character Sara a redesign as if she was a character in “Skullgirls”

I think I got pretty close? What do you think?

jett

D-Member
Man you guys are too talented. Here's some Journey fanart, I haven't really drawn anything in years, but that game motivated me. :p I mainly did these to re-familiarize myself with Photoshop, nothing really fancy.

hC2Eu.jpg

YqHi7.jpg

Top Bottom