• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

cbox

Man you guys are too talented. Here's some Journey fanart, I haven't really drawn anything in years, but that game motivated me. :p I mainly did these to re-familiarize myself with Photoshop, nothing really fancy.

Great use of colour!

jiggle

also cross posting from journey thread
game is such an inspiration!
embarrassed to say, my first contribution to gaf-art thread in years :X
GWRnd.jpg

Sofo

mami_tomoe_by_ietes-d4tlqh7.jpg

Whew, finally finished! I'd really like to get some criticism, even if I consider the piece "done" (I put way too many hours on it). I had _so much fun_ doing it, I can't believe it! I'm slowly (very slowly) getting faster (no pun intended) at drawing and getting the hang of it. Hope I can improve in the upcoming months! I'll likely be doing the rest of the girls, because their dresses each have things I want to work on (the shininess and metal plating of Sayaka, the ribbons and laces of both Madoka and Kyoko, the straight lines on Homura).

Retro

I was bored. The white board hanging next to my desk was blank, thus calling me to doodle. I like doodling on my white board; very few colors, easy erasing, clean lines. Anyways, this guy tumbled out;

atBCh.jpg

You can see the point at which I got impatient, right about the elbows and torso, so forgive the mistakes in the "quick and dirty" zone. I decided to try more spider-dude doodles to continue breaking in my Wacom Tablet. This came out.

I read through this thread often enough but rarely contribute, mostly because I rarely draw (does it show?). I figured I had better post something I actually drew because who knows when that'll happen again?

Oh, right, I did some Album covers for GAF's own Agent Whiskers recently; read all about it here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463396

Seriously, he's letting you name your own price for his album. Support a GAFer and get some awesome music.

Spacebar

Whew, finally finished! I'd really like to get some criticism, even if I consider the piece "done" (I put way too many hours on it). I had _so much fun_ doing it, I can't believe it! I'm slowly (very slowly) getting faster (no pun intended) at drawing and getting the hang of it. Hope I can improve in the upcoming months! I'll likely be doing the rest of the girls, because their dresses each have things I want to work on (the shininess and metal plating of Sayaka, the ribbons and laces of both Madoka and Kyoko, the straight lines on Homura).

Positives
+ Cool background
+ Nice Character designs (Not sure if they're yours or not)
+ Nice detail work in some areas (mid section of the dress and boots)
+ Unique color palate
+ Shadow gives the piece another cool element to look at (I wonder what happened to her head?)

Things to work on
- Legs look a little too short
- Her left hand looks like mini wolverine claws coming out instead of fingers
- Looks like it needs more shading to add depth and texture (skin, boots and dress)
- Cloth folds need more depth to them (do what you did on the shoulders to the bottom of the dress)

Overall I enjoyed looking over the picture. One thing I try see in art is how much effort and thought the artist put into their work. You clearly put in some hours working on this and it shows. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Spacebar

GWRnd.jpg

Not sure what the hell is flying through the air, but it looks cool. Great angle. It really gives you that feeling of "WHOOSH" this thing just flew by me. Reminds me of that game Flower for psn. Nice job and I hope you post more often.

Sofo

Positives
+ Cool background
+ Nice Character designs (Not sure if they're yours or not)
+ Nice detail work in some areas (mid section of the dress and boots)
+ Unique color palate
+ Shadow gives the piece another cool element to look at (I wonder what happened to her head?)
Wow, thanks! You've raised very good points! Sadly the character isn't mine, but it's Mami Tomoe from Puella Magi Madoka Magica (a very good anime - check it out if you can!). I can't say much about the shadow, you'd have to figure out yourself (it's kinda spoilery).

Things to work on
- Legs look a little too short
I very much agree on the legs department, but I think the main problem is her head is a big bigger than normal (that's something I always have trouble with), but it could also be that the legs are really shorter than usual.
- Her left hand looks like mini wolverine claws coming out instead of fingers
You made me laugh with the hand! I had to rework that hand a lot (it looked like she had broken fingers) and it's funny because a coworker pointed out the same thing -wolverine fingers- lol. The problem was that I couldn't find a reference picture for that hand position, and in the end I kinda gave up (I also think the hand is smaller than it should be).
- Looks like it needs more shading to add depth and texture (skin, boots and dress)
I agree on the shading! I am trying new techniques (I'm pretty new to digital) so most of them time I just shade with a darker color and soften the edges with the water brush (on SAI). I'm having a hard time learning to use overlays to my advantage (which I did use for the hair) and I think that shows. The boots I was scared to ruin them! Haha, I liked how they looked and I was really scared of somehow ruining the picture (god forbid, Ctrl Z exists!). And the dress I assume you are referring to the skirt? I agree! Something similar to the boots happened, and the lines were too smooth so the shading looks too dull/bland.
- Cloth folds need more depth to them (do what you did on the shoulders to the bottom of the dress)
Folds are my enemies! But you're right they need more depth and less number of folds I think. I tend to add more than the ones shown, and then delete them. I guess like many things, it's about quality and not quantity!
Overall I enjoyed looking over the picture. One thing I try see in art is how much effort and thought the artist put into their work. You clearly put in some hours working on this and it shows. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.
Thank you very much for your criticism, and even if the piece is done (and likely won't touch it in a while), I'll keep them very much in mind for upcoming ideas.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Not sure what the hell is flying through the air, but it looks cool. Great angle. It really gives you that feeling of "WHOOSH" this thing just flew by me. Reminds me of that game Flower for psn. Nice job and I hope you post more often.

Youuu should probably try that game Journey for PSN, it would all become clear then ;)

Couple of character sketches

shaolin_004.jpg

shaolin_002.jpg

Prax

Man you guys are too talented. Here's some Journey fanart, I haven't really drawn anything in years, but that game motivated me. :p I mainly did these to re-familiarize myself with Photoshop, nothing really fancy.

hC2Eu.jpg

YqHi7.jpg

GWRnd.jpg
Wow.. Journey is really inspiring some nice stuff here!
Love the colours and windy flow of these images.

I think this came out pretty well if you're still just getting the hang of things!

Some things to consider for next time for the other girls:
- right forearm is too long (compare to her left one). An easy fix would be to have her right sleeve puff foreshorten more to the viewer so her elbow would look more convincingly lifted higher, thus you can shorten her forearm.
- her left shoulder/arm connection seems dislocated, so just be aware of that next time you sketch out her body before you put clothing on.
- her pinky looks a bit too thick on her right hand, which kind of throws me off, and her 3 fingers beside her index are too thin in comparison on her left hand. Plus they all kind of look the same length when the middle finger should be longest and pinky shortest. You can try curling the middle and ring finger a little to make the hand position look a little more natural (pinky out for extra daintiness!)
- her legs look short because of the way you drew her tight-highs. I assumed you were drawing this as if we're looking down on her from above, so you need to fit the thigh highs around her thighs more as if you were looking down on a cylindrical object. This will give a better illusion of that angle so it doesn't seem like we're looking at her at eye level (which will make her legs look too short).
- Likewise, you can further emphasize the above-head angle if you rounded the skirt shape more. I would also position her head down a bit to shorten her neck.
- I noticed that she stands at a slight slant (look at the angle of the corset lines in the original). I'm not sure if that was your intent, but she looks like she's standing in an unbalanced position, especially if her legs are together. I would have rotated the lineart to adjust that (sometimes that works, and sometimes you have to change the position of the legs totally)

Verbal explanations might be hard to follow, so I hope you don't mind that I made a comparison pic to show you what I mean (and sorry for how crude it is.. I was using my laptop's touchpad.. >__> ):

sofo_mami_redlines_by_meibatsu-d4towld.jpg

I hope that helps! You're probably going to improve a ton by the next pic!

Here's a few test runs on something I'm working on:

superman-small.png

megaman-small.png

mario-small.png
These are really cool. I wish I had patience for vectors. I'm even trying to just figure out how you did them. xD

daedalius

Still working on this, getting close to a final. Any suggestions on colors, etc? Needs to be done by Monday to be posted in the finals thread.

More renders here: http://galefire.com/2012/03/darksiders-2-contest-design-a-weapon/

Downloading a tool to make some better real-time renders, maybe a animation of it turning in realtime as well; would make the specular highlights pop a bit better I imagine.

That picture is junk, this is way better

Click for huge

^^ Could really benefit from a more interesting specular and stronger colors. Seems really weak in that respect relative to the rest of DS2.

My colors are sampled directly from the concept art they gave to us for examples. The angelic weapons don't really have super-saturated colors.

As for the specular map, I'm not even sure how to make it more 'interesting', perhaps an example?

MrBig

^^ Could really benefit from a more interesting specular and stronger colors. Seems really weak in that respect relative to the rest of DS2.

Those are damned amazing PantherLotus

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Definitely do more with the spec, a good tip is to actually KEEP the color in the spec map, it doesnt have to be black and white ;)

Raging Spaniard

Hey, I do not know if this is nsfw, but I did a digital painting of a zombie.

If it is shit, I understand, but I would love gaf to check it out. Everyone on this thread inspired me to start designing again. I had so much fun painting it. The finished image link is in the videos description.

The image is totally safe, the music however ... ;)

Raging Spaniard

:( the first out of friends circle comment I get has criticism in it!

I should have not posted here.

Noooooo, Im just joking, hence the ;) ! Look at the smilies!

Its a nice drawing! How did you do the recording? Im curious to do that myself.

Timo

Here's a few test runs on something I'm working on:

These are really cool, are the original base drawings from you or official art you recontextualized?

And as always, raging spaniard needs to stop demolishing this thread. you're too good man.

New stuff, Senior Show poster (if I end up graduating, god this semester has been rough and rife with all nighters). With and without text that I hand lettered myself, no one at my school has everrr done that for a senior show poster (as far as I can tell). I also printed it at 3x6 foot and me and a buddy are posting our posters up in the lobby, which no one has ever done for sure. My penis is huge basically. Also, I've gotten exponentially better at Photoshop within a year. This never would have happened a year ago.

seniorshowsmalltext.jpg
seniorshowsmallnotext.jpg

If you're in the area and want to come you so should. Free keg. Just saying.

P.S. are you guys going to any cool art forums? Mine all died. It's sad. I want an art forum, they were such a big part of my youth.

Sofo

I think this came out pretty well if you're still just getting the hang of things!

Some things to consider for next time for the other girls:
- right forearm is too long (compare to her left one). An easy fix would be to have her right sleeve puff foreshorten more to the viewer so her elbow would look more convincingly lifted higher, thus you can shorten her forearm.
- her left shoulder/arm connection seems dislocated, so just be aware of that next time you sketch out her body before you put clothing on.
- her pinky looks a bit too thick on her right hand, which kind of throws me off, and her 3 fingers beside her index are too thin in comparison on her left hand. Plus they all kind of look the same length when the middle finger should be longest and pinky shortest. You can try curling the middle and ring finger a little to make the hand position look a little more natural (pinky out for extra daintiness!)
- her legs look short because of the way you drew her tight-highs. I assumed you were drawing this as if we're looking down on her from above, so you need to fit the thigh highs around her thighs more as if you were looking down on a cylindrical object. This will give a better illusion of that angle so it doesn't seem like we're looking at her at eye level (which will make her legs look too short).
- Likewise, you can further emphasize the above-head angle if you rounded the skirt shape more. I would also position her head down a bit to shorten her neck.
- I noticed that she stands at a slight slant (look at the angle of the corset lines in the original). I'm not sure if that was your intent, but she looks like she's standing in an unbalanced position, especially if her legs are together. I would have rotated the lineart to adjust that (sometimes that works, and sometimes you have to change the position of the legs totally)

Verbal explanations might be hard to follow, so I hope you don't mind that I made a comparison pic to show you what I mean (and sorry for how crude it is.. I was using my laptop's touchpad.. >__> ):

sofo_mami_redlines_by_meibatsu-d4towld.jpg

I hope that helps! You're probably going to improve a ton by the next pic!

Aaaah! Thank you so much guys, I hope not to disappoint! I'll try to be less hasty. I always want to go fast ("gotta go fast") and put down the colours. I think the main problem in here too was that I didn't put a "skeleton" in her. So a lot of the posture was lost in the way I draw!

Thanks so much, I'll keep them all in mind! :) It's great that we have a thread like this, you guys are all so talented *_*

MrBig

P.S. are you guys going to any cool art forums? Mine all died. It's sad. I want an art forum, they were such a big part of my youth.

conceptart.org and polycount.com are the big two right now, and have a lot of people from the various industries posting.

My colors are sampled directly from the concept art they gave to us for examples. The angelic weapons don't really have super-saturated colors.

As for the specular map, I'm not even sure how to make it more 'interesting', perhaps an example?

Referencing to the angelic weapon in this image, note how there is a whole bunch of tiny details in the colors, and breaks in the sheen that are coming from more noise/detail that are in the spec as opposed to the diffuse. When you just have all the details painted into the diffuse it can look really flat; when it's in the spec its not wholly visible all the time and dynamically becomes visible and adds interesting visual clues that aren't just always in your face. I can also see really strong separation in material definition because there is a clean division in color contrast between the different colored materials that make it up.

daedalius

Referencing to the angelic weapon in this image, note how there is a whole bunch of tiny details in the colors, and breaks in the sheen that are coming from more noise/detail that are in the spec as opposed to the diffuse. When you just have all the details painted into the diffuse it can look really flat; when it's in the spec its not wholly visible all the time and dynamically becomes visible and adds interesting visual clues that aren't just always in your face. I can also see really strong separation in material definition because there is a clean division in color contrast between the different colored materials that make it up.

I've been working on painting a bit more detail into my specular map, I'll post an update soon.

Although, there isn't actually an angelic weapon in that image you linked, they are in these though
DS2_Polycount-PageBreak03.png

DS2_Polycount-PageBreak02.png

Both first items, although I find it hard to gather any specular stuff from these considering they aren't moving. I'll have a look at War's sword again, I have the maps for that.

Raging Spaniard

That came out really nice, especially for a 3D noob! Definitely stick with 3D, you have talent for it and its a sureway to get into the industry, much moreso than concept.

daedalius

That came out really nice, especially for a 3D noob! Definitely stick with 3D, you have talent for it and its a sureway to get into the industry, much moreso than concept.

lol thanks RS, I will certainly take your advice ;)

I really like 3d, I just didn't have a clue about anything 10 years ago when I was doing it before. Oh well, I'm way better at art in general than I was then too :D

What kind of 3d stuff do you think I should make for my portfolio? Enviros, props, characters? I have no idea.

Raging Spaniard

lol thanks RS, I will certainly take your advice ;)

I really like 3d, I just didn't have a clue about anything 10 years ago when I was doing it before. Oh well, I'm way better at art in general than I was then too :D

What kind of 3d stuff do you think I should make for my portfolio? Enviros, props, characters? I have no idea.

Noobs make props, medium level make environments, elite make characters. That tends to be the scale.

You are a painter by nature, so use that to your advantage and make sure awesome texturing is your forte. For now stick with props with increasing difficulty (an axe is pretty simple) go with a mix of your own concepts with concept art from other artists you admire.

zoukka

I think Daedalius should also make simple characters and get into modelling them so that the edgeflow works for game characters. It can be hard at first, but you learn so much by doing it. No reason to limit yourself just to props and the insane mobile market of today will demand low-poly know-how anyway :)

Sofo

Daedalius, that's pretty amazing! It just looks something out of a game @_@

I have a question. Do you guys know how I could learn to make "clean" lines, outside of using a vector layer on SAI? As it is obvious, I haven't really used them for my pieces. I did use them over a sketch, to then give it the final outline, but that's no use and I can't get "clean" lines. ): Am I bad for obsessing over it? I'm trying them for a piece, but I feel like I'm cheating.

For example; this piece http://fav.me/d4k1s6p from http://1-kilometer.deviantart.com/gallery/ I know it'll take some years to get such clean lines, but is there any way to learn faster?

Thanks, and sorry for the vague question!

MrBig

Pretty damn good, especially since you're just starting in 3D.

Daedalius, that's pretty amazing! It just looks something out of a game @_@

I have a question. Do you guys know how I could learn to make "clean" lines, outside of using a vector layer on SAI? As it is obvious, I haven't really used them for my pieces. I did use them over a sketch, to then give it the final outline, but that's no use and I can't get "clean" lines. ): Am I bad for obsessing over it? I'm trying them for a piece, but I feel like I'm cheating.

For example; this piece http://fav.me/d4k1s6p from http://1-kilometer.deviantart.com/gallery/ I know it'll take some years to get such clean lines, but is there any way to learn faster?

Thanks, and sorry for the vague question!
Lazymouse. You'll need the update profile to make it work with CS5. I haven't tested it in CS6 and thats on my W8 install so I can't access it now.

daedalius

Thanks guys,

I was actually thinking about trying to do an environment first, and then maybe one of the guns from the galefire armory ;)

Now I just need to figure out where to start with doing an enviro (well, besides concept art, I've got that covered :))

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
These are really cool, are the original base drawings from you or official art you recontextualized?

Oh oh, they're definitely appropriated and recontextualized. Not that they're not obvious, but those famous poses can make them more readily recognized.

Futureman

Here's a composite I did recently:

moop.jpg

Very new to coloring in PS.

Here's a pigeon I'm working on.

pig.jpg

for coloring, what I would do now is create a new layer, place it UNDER the black outline of the pigeon, and then color. Any suggestions though on making it more pigeon-like? One thing I've been doing is, for example, taking a photo of a bird I took and creating a pattern, and then fill that over a color layer at a 30% opacity or so. That seems a little lazy. Should I just be messing around with different brushes/colors/opacity levels, etc?

daedalius

So guys, best world building kit to learn?

UDK? I heard not many people use Crytek.

I figure if I'm going to try and make cool environment art, I should probably actually make it in realtime, since that is what I'd like to be working in after all ;)

tumblr_m1i8mnW5UT1qhbar8o1_1280.png

I've been creating a lot of character designs & sprites for em recently.
Here's a quick compilation of most significant ones.

/Edit

Oy Raging Spaniard, I dig your skullgirls-esque girl. Good job emulating the style.
Her ponytails kinda weird me out though, can't quite grasp where/how they're attached or something.

Raging Spaniard

That's a good point, I should have just put the hair band as part of the silhouette :|

Edit: btw Neo, those are amazing

Here's a couple more sketches, I know I draw this girl a lot, but the first fight in the book is mostly all her, so I gotta get real comfortable with her anatomy and design (which IS fairly simple, but that's kinda the point)

tumblr_m1i270czK71qed0geo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m1i270czK71qed0geo2_500.jpg

daedalius

How much 3d do you guys think I should have in my portfolio before sending any inquires?

weapon, environment, weapon, enviro/character? Would at least like to fill a line on my portfolio page for presentation.

A friend in the industry suggested a few more environments, one being realistic, probably some more prop type things.

Here is an environment I am working on in UDK right now
enviro-conceptsheet_corenexus.jpg

Lower left pic

arctic-nexus_pillar-render1.jpg

nexus-pillar-sculpt.jpg

road pillars, textured and sculpt

arctic-nexus_floortile-render2.jpg

floortile-render1.jpg

road tiles, textured and sculpt

And a quick UDK wip render, still have quite a bit to do on the back tower; also might turn the pillars around.
arctic-nexus_wip1.jpg

Also with the giant glut of layoffs at vigil yesterday, don't know if that is really a valid target for a job now, boo. 343/Certain Affinity it is!

website bandwidth exceeded, YES!

Top Bottom