• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

a collage of sketches/doodles. Most of them done when waiting for a doc, or in the metro/bus.

iUv3naBnO4R2K.jpg

Village

Art gaf, I would like to request a favor.

I use sai and photoshop, while I was using sai, something happened my sai failed and cut off and when I tried to reopen the file, it kept giving me failed to open canvas. I am not asking you all to diagnose what the issue is, however I am asking any sai users on this forum a favor. Could I possibly send you the file to see if you could possibly open it on your end?
If it works, then I can possibly recover what I was working on.

If it doesn't, I lost a lot of work, and now kind of have lost my will to do art, and my will to do other things.

This might help you out. It's from DeviantArt, and it seems like a similar situation. I put the link at the bottom if you want to follow it up more.

DeviantArt said:
OMG SHIT! paint tool sai help? FIXED
by Deiseki, Jan 5, 2012, 11:36:07 AM
Journals / Personal
"GOD WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY PAINT TOOL SAI? everytime i want to save something it says "failed to save canvas" EVERYTIME!! except if I save it as psd file! I already tried deleting it and downloading again but it says again "failed to save canvas"! can someone help me, please?"

from Jan 5, 2012

FIXED IT
Ok so I have been getting a lot of messages recently from people saying they have the same problem with paint tool SAI so I decided to update this journal so everyone can go on working and saving files in SAI.

I don't know if there is a way to completly fix this bug but there definately is a way to avoid it!
I would like to thank FlumpyDuck for her very helpfull response:

"If you open a PSD in SAI for some reason it has a meltdown and won't save anything as .sai, so if - like I had - you've just done a couple hours' work and you don't want to lose everything, you /can/ save it as a .psd file and keep editing it from there. If you absolutely need it to be a .sai file, never open a psd while you're working on it. Otherwise I'm afraid it's start from scratch!"

so summarized:
- never open a .psd file before if you want to save a .sai, .jpg, etc.!
- if you already did without noticing and the message "failed to save canvas" appears save it as .psd and open it in photoshop or gimp or any other program which opens .psd files and save it there (as .jpg or whatever you need).

if you still don't understand, there are lots of good answers in the comments just have a look!
I really hope this helps you to fix your problem and good luck finishing your artwork c:

~Deiseki

http://deiseki.deviantart.com/journal/OMG-SHIT-paint-tool-sai-help-FIXED-277782304

Xtyle

I'm making a comic too! I run a book printing machine...

comic.jpg

are you planning on printing? I'll check out your blog.

I do want prints. However, I may have to release it in E-Book form first. Still a long way to go though:) There isn't a lot on my blog yet other than character art but do let me know what you think:)

MrBig

Beginning work on a new project I should hopefully be able to share soon, a storyboard for an original short story

starting out with a mood piece for the initial setting

untitled-2vcom0.jpg

and oh... my job has two parts... ha.

book printer and copyright clearance coordinator. So maybe I could look into some of the copyright concerns in here? Someone fill me in if they want. I love love love the work in this thread, I think a book would be so cool.

so the intention was to actually sell it?
I'm curious about the artbook, if people want to sell I'd buy. Really curious about your book printer Futureman. Do you have a link to products and specs that would be a good introduction for an interested individual?

If people were willing to share the art that is already posted for a collection, a booklet would be easy to make -although, the quality of the images could be compromised or subject to the printer used to handle a physical copy. I posted it a while back but LaTeX makes it a cinch to do this.

Apologies if this has been covered and I just missed it. I understand this could be a sensitive subject for some.

Thanks for the artworks everybody, superb skills.

Futureman

you could PM me with any specific questions, but basically the page length needs to be between 40-850 pages and trim size is between 4.5x5 and 7.5x10.25. I need two PDFs to print, one of the entire interior and one for the cover. The machine only prints B&W interior but I figured out a way to extract the modified PDF the machine creates and I can take that to a different print shop at my work and print color. B&W is $0.03/PDF page and color is pretty pricey at $0.30/PDF page.... though if I was actually doing the GAF book I could probably get better pricing for color. The machine creates perfect bound paperback books.

I dunno if I mentioned earlier, but it's called the Espresso Book Machine if you wanted to Google it. I believe there are around 70 in the world, I run the one in Pittsburgh.

Everyone is super talented and out of my league here, so I am hesitant to post but ah well, haha.

Anyways, I decided to draw the newly classified Lythronax AKA the "Gore King" with some feathers. And then I said what the hell, lets give it a feather beard. So yeah.

jDWUacJ.jpg

I'll happily take criticism, but know this- I suck at perspective and shading.

you could PM me with any specific questions, but basically the page length needs to be between 40-850 pages and trim size is between 4.5x5 and 7.5x10.25. I need two PDFs to print, one of the entire interior and one for the cover. The machine only prints B&W interior but I figured out a way to extract the modified PDF the machine creates and I can take that to a different print shop at my work and print color. B&W is $0.03/PDF page and color is pretty pricey at $0.30/PDF page.... though if I was actually doing the GAF book I could probably get better pricing for color. The machine creates perfect bound paperback books.

I dunno if I mentioned earlier, but it's called the Espresso Book Machine if you wanted to Google it. I believe there are around 70 in the world, I run the one in Pittsburgh.

Thanks a lot, not printing anything anytime soon, I'll keep you mind.
Such a nice machine.

Ok, I really have never tried to work on a drawing in Photoshop before, so I am learning as I go.. but so far here is where I have brought my Lythronax:

41EUq6h.jpg

Mdk7

@Blitzcloud: WOAH, sick display of pure talent over there, i'm in awe!

Anyway, contest time, LOL.
My submissions for the The Last of Us contest at WeLoveFine

1 Down - Clicker Mushroom
1_down___clicker_mushroom_by_mdk7-d6tyvik.jpg

and

Hunted at dusk
hunted_at_dusk_by_mdk7-d6tytkz.jpg

Plus, as a bonus, my submission for the KKG Artbook created by gamersforgood.com
(it's a bit small due to some limitations imposed by the initiative)

Orange shades on Zebes
orange_shades_on_zebes_by_mdk7-d6tgp30.jpg

Thanks. Pretty neat designs too. I like the t-shirt, not crazy about the 1 down text.

I personally would find hilarious to see a clicker eating popcorn.

Mdk7

Thanks. Pretty neat designs too. I like the t-shirt, not crazy about the 1 down text.

I personally would find hilarious to see a clicker eating popcorn.
Thanks for the feedback buddy!
I'm not that crazy on the text as well, but i needed that to make the link with the 1 UP mushroom a little clearer.

MrBig

The last two pieces I've posted are for a storyboard project, I'm doing a few keyshots in digital and I've been doing more in-between pieces in charcoal. Made up a preliminary video to pace it out and figure out what I need to make, that was really helpful since I'm basing this story around a song. Hope to be done around mid December

Was able to put a few hours into the next keyshot

QFS

C.B.

Finally got around to finish up this one

il8ciBRsQo0ZG.jpg

Wish I actually had more time to finish it properly, but that's never going to happen....

and oh... my job has two parts... ha.

book printer and copyright clearance coordinator. So maybe I could look into some of the copyright concerns in here? Someone fill me in if they want. I love love love the work in this thread, I think a book would be so cool.

so the intention was to actually sell it?

Yeah that's what we thought, as we wanted to make a physical book, so the cost would have to be covered some how. It was either that or a free PDF. I am curious though, how small are the print runs you do and costs and stuff? I've had a few other ideas with some others that have cropped up....

Phandy

Raaaiiddenn! Damn thats cool CB.
I think my only crit might be theres some confusion with the overlap of hims arms. I feel like it needs a little bit of shadows from the arms, or ambient occlusion to help give it some depth. That said, I always like the flatness of your work CB, they feel like tarrot cars or Mucha paintings. Very cool.

I finished my work on Batman Arkham Origins a little while ago, and I can finally post some work.
Heres a few pieces (more on my blog);

AP_RobotArmy_BatmanRoutes.jpg

AP_FactoryFloor.jpg

AP_RobotArmy_Machinellania.jpg

AP_RobotArmy_RoboCanyon.jpg

Anyone here has a tip on how to do Banners for Hair Salons? I'm going to do one this sunday. Is a really low key one in a dangerous Ghetto area, so it has to be hand made and painted directly into the wall.

I don't know if anyone here has an experience of painting banners on walls. Will appreciate.

Xun

Outstanding work as always guys, brilliant stuff.

Raaaiiddenn! Damn thats cool CB.
I think my only crit might be theres some confusion with the overlap of hims arms. I feel like it needs a little bit of shadows from the arms, or ambient occlusion to help give it some depth. That said, I always like the flatness of your work CB, they feel like tarrot cars or Mucha paintings. Very cool.

I finished my work on Batman Arkham Origins a little while ago, and I can finally post some work.
Heres a few pieces (more on my blog);

AP_RobotArmy_BatmanRoutes.jpg

AP_FactoryFloor.jpg

AP_RobotArmy_Machinellania.jpg

AP_RobotArmy_RoboCanyon.jpg
Lovely work mate! Splash Damage eh? I don't live far from there at all.

No animators needed I take it? :p

Phandy

Outstanding work as always guys, brilliant stuff.

Lovely work mate! Splash Damage eh? I don't live far from there at all.

No animators needed I take it? :p

Thanks, Where do you live? You can always apply, get your application in the pile. Animators are always a core part of studio, if we ramp up for anything I'm sure animators are always looked at.

Xun

Thanks, Where do you live? You can always apply, get your application in the pile. Animators are always a core part of studio, if we ramp up for anything I'm sure animators are always looked at.
Bromley. :p

I'm always checking on their website, but it never seems like they need any animators, but I'll apply anyway!

SLV

Any graphic designers around, i have a small task that is needed to be done for a website of mine, a header and a picture watermark with a unified design, but i am not very artistic or inspired, well i dont know the first thing about graphic design, would someone be willing to make a small thing for me, i will off course pay for it reasonably. PM me please if anyone is interested. It should not take more than a few hours to do.

Futureman

I hope to use this one as the cover for a book I'm making with my friend. He's doing the writing and I'm doing some illustrations for the inside...
goodness.jpg

bramble.jpg

Pehesse

Hello all! First post on this topic, been following it silently for a while. It's awesome/inspiring to see what all others are posting but I figure it's time to get some of my own stuff out there if I want to get anywhere.

Here's some pics from a game project, a 2D beat-em up/life management sim. Character gallery illustrations - I've been working on animations for the main character, too, to start replacing placeholder stuff by actual graphics.
3f62aa17-de7e-4647-b405-db6e7a5991cc.jpg

And a quick-ish pinup for fun, too!

tumblr_mxlvm0AMuk1s5t3fko4_500.png

Pehesse

That sounds like quite the combination! :O

Hopefully so! It's quite simple of course, being a one man dev project, but the best references I can give would be Streets of Rage mixed with Persona, with a bit of Princess Maker sprinkled on top. The first idea was here : http://pehesse.deviantart.com/art/H-for-Honey-Rose-360166091 when I did a round of fake game pitches, and I found this one to be interesting enough to turn into a real game.
If you're interested, I post updates about the development here : http://pehesse.tumblr.com/ (it's mostly animation stuff right now, but there are some screecaps of the prototype now and then as it comes along).

Top Bottom