• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arts & Farts

JordanN

Banned
Aeroplane

I'm in the process of remaking all my work so I expect to make something better than this.
iborLqW1ykdZjR.png

Raaaiiddenn! Damn thats cool CB.
I think my only crit might be theres some confusion with the overlap of hims arms. I feel like it needs a little bit of shadows from the arms, or ambient occlusion to help give it some depth. That said, I always like the flatness of your work CB, they feel like tarrot cars or Mucha paintings. Very cool.

I finished my work on Batman Arkham Origins a little while ago, and

I came across some of your stuff when searching for Neuromancer on deviantart. brilliant work!

Phandy

I came across some of your stuff when searching for Neuromancer on deviantart. brilliant work!

Thanks, People seem to a lot. I'm surprised not many people do much Neuromancer stuff, its such a rich world. Some gaffer used my pictures once doing a cyberpunk thread.

I reeallly need to go back and update most of it. It's all pretty shit to me now :(

Edit - I DID redo one of the pictures, can't believe I didn't post it!

29_NeuroPoo.jpg

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
This is probably an exhausted topic, but do any of you have any links or articles worth reading about becoming an illustrator? Even raw advice would be terrific but that's a different level of commitment. I could also just make a thread about it.

painey

So I worked for my University last year, and I had to make name tags for doors. I decided to find out which state everyone was from and make them a licence plate.. turned out to be insanely difficult as I had to make blank templates of each state and then work from there. Some states have very few pics online, and the biggest bane is the fact that you can't get the legit 3M font online so I had to make do. Anyway, I'm making some more right now and it inspired me to show off my old ones. (They are all laminated). I individualized them all with their job title/month of birth and the current tag on each of them. Hard work, but my friends loved them.

DxAMLQj.jpg

OqybgGt.jpg

Futureman

Servbot... your spider on the bicycle illustration is great!

I also love your style mdk7... do you make your stuff in Illustrator??

Skidd.... how long did that piece take you? I'd be interested. Do you start with a pencil drawing and then scan??

C.B.

Haven't really posted much in this thread as I've really only had sketches commissioned recently. I've got bigger projects this year so I'll finally be able to do some more polished work. Need an A3 scanner.

I know this is topic is mostly to show digital art and it's not about asking for tips on regular art but I could use one.

I need to learn how to do highlights on the skin of people, like for example on the Morgan Freeman art

ku-xlarge.gif

I'm having a problem when it's a lot of white dots

Mistle

XODKNMv.png

wanted to render this more and tighten it all up but i just got so fed up with it... i'm not good enough yet to take it to that next level. just can't wrap my head around painting, i'm more used to colouring in line art

Question: My Old Radeon HD6570 gave out on my desktop, I have this machine for my girlfriends work that she aspires to do, I am looking into the Nvidia Quadro 4000 or the Quadro K2000D as this machine will be mainly for Adobe Creative suite as well as Autodesk 3DSmax maya and Autocad for me.

Will there be a SIGNIFICANT increase over a video game card with a card meant for design?

I ask here because it seems there is a number of digital artists here as well

also: what are some ways you get motivated to finish work? she starts a lot of work but never usually goes to 100%, I am trying to help her in every way possible and I only feel I pressure her to much, I have been trying to support her in any way possible, she really wants to get into game design, and I know she has the skill, she just needs to refine it and get a portfolio together

MrBig

Question: My Old Radeon HD6570 gave out on my desktop, I have this machine for my girlfriends work that she aspires to do, I am looking into the Nvidia Quadro 4000 or the Quadro K2000D as this machine will be mainly for Adobe Creative suite as well as Autodesk 3DSmax maya and Autocad for me.

Will there be a SIGNIFICANT increase over a video game card with a card meant for design?

I ask here because it seems there is a number of digital artists here as well

also: what are some ways you get motivated to finish work? she starts a lot of work but never usually goes to 100%, I am trying to help her in every way possible and I only feel I pressure her to much, I have been trying to support her in any way possible, she really wants to get into game design, and I know she has the skill, she just needs to refine it and get a portfolio together

No just get a gaming card, quadros are a rather old line of cards that are really good at pushing large amounts of polies/wireframes with AA and not much else as I understand - specialized cards designed to one specialized task. You can get an ATI card if you have CS6/CC, but earlier versions use Nvidia's Cuda tech for GPU processing. You don't need to spend too much either unless you're doing in-engine work.

Motivation is a very personal thing, she'll have to realize a reason for doing things on her own. What is it that motivates her interest in pursuing game design, and how does that differ from doing the requisite work of game design?

Personally I just like doing neat things with and for others, multiple people working to achieve a unified goal, inspiring eachother to do more, as opposed to a single person taking on every aspect at once, and that feeling is what motivates me to work, I rarely finish projects that are done completely in private or that I don't intend anyone to ever see. Perhaps she could try joining a mod team or participating in the design competitions over on Polycount for exposure to different environments.

C.B.

Timing and setting goals seem to help me when I really wanted to finish bigger ideas. Otherwise she'll end up working on each project forever. As you continue to work on anything for a given amount of time, you ability is likely to increase; and even if it is a marginal amount, whatever she had worked on at the start of the picture will look bad/awful and she will want to fix those parts. Then she'll want to fix others, and it will just keep going until she's burnt out.

What might help is if she sets small goals each day and micro manage the picture into smaller parts (ie. if she's working on a picture of, allot time for the face, outfit, background accordingly). From that she should learn how long things are actually going to take her and estimate her time properly. When she's then able to do that, she can try and learn how to shave off time by learning what is important to focus on and what isn't.

This guy's video also has some good points : Boosting Productivity in Digital Painting, where he essentially talks about trimming the fat and some good tips to help with that.

I think MrBigs tip can help as well, but working with a group can increase pressure, and if she's not able to work well under pressure, she'll have to be able to know she can do it on her own first.

Best of luck to your girl.

Gazunta

YEAH POSTING ART WHOOOOO

(I also posted the below in the Surface Pro thread, but thought I should ask here too)

Heya guys and gals -

So after months (and months) of saving up I'm finally buying a Surface Pro 2 this weekend. WHOOOOO.

I plan on using this pretty much exclusively as a portable Photoshop machine so I can make my comics during times where I can't be at my home desktop machines (work lunch breaks, sitting at public transport, funerals of distant relatives, etc)

I guess what I would like to know is - I figure that 128GB is enough room for Windows, a Photoshop installation and my Dropbox folder - but how does Photoshop perform with only 4GB of RAM on the Surface Pro 2?

I have 4GB of RAM in my main W7 desktop machine and I don't have any real complaints about performance, but I was wondering if things would be much different considering Windows 8.1 and the tablet CPU / GPU.

Also - how does the pen compare to a regular Cintiq?

Servbot24

Banned
Hullo! You can see the full introduction to my graphic novel "Hoax" here: http://www.ianbarkerart.com/hoax. The rest of the novel is currently being written and rendered but I'm happy with how it's proceeding. If you have any constructive feedback on these first pages I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Hullo! You can see the full introduction to my graphic novel "Hoax" here: http://www.ianbarkerart.com/hoax. The rest of the novel is currently being written and rendered but I'm happy with how it's proceeding. If you have any constructive feedback on these first pages I would greatly appreciate it. :)

Not keen on the character faces, but the color palette is gorgeous and your painting style looks really crisp. Good frame composition too.

I imagine you'll have the main guy monologuing in the first few frames, or are they just the stills? As an intro, I'd normally avoid starting with a daydream because a transition into the real scene can end up jarring, but that's just me.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Servbot24

Banned
Not keen on the character designs, but the color palette is gorgeous and your painting style looks really crisp. Good frame composition too.

I imagine you'll have the main guy monologuing in the first few frames, or are they just the stills? As an intro, I'd normally avoid starting with a daydream because a transition into the real scene can end up jarring, but that's just me.

Looking forward to seeing more!

thanks! the dream in the first few pages basically foreshadows the events of the rest of the story, and then the ending ties back into it. there won't actually be any text.

Servbot24

Banned
I really like it Servbot. I don't know many graphic novels really, but do you like Jim Woodring?

Never heard of him but his stuff looks really cool. To be honest I don't read them either. Read a couple Craig Thompson books (which you should definitely check out if you haven't already) and a couple Alan Moore books, and that's pretty much it. Most of my inspiration comes from TV and games (Majora's Mask and Adventure time are the two biggest influences on this one, plus some events from my past).

Gazunta

Finished my first comic done entirely on the Surface Pro 2.

I'm in love. I just love, love, love this thing. The direct-to-screen feel of a Cintiq, the versatility of Windows and the portability of a
really heavy and hot
iPad. I'd marry it if it wasn't a crime against nature.

Futureman

I got hired to create and animate some characters for a video to educate people on and prevent violence against women on college campuses. I'm also doing a few photo shoots with some real peeps. Here's the girlie I came up with:

dockerlo.jpg

DrBo42

FINALLY got ahold of a Wacom. It makes my learning to use colors so much easier. How am I doing?

ibnbUAvK5MPZr7.png

Looks good m8. Not sure how realistic you want to go but something I struggle with personally is going dark too fast, especially with skin. I'd recommend keeping that opacity low and make broad strokes and just build up to where you want it. Squint to really get a feel for the light change if you're using a reference.

Top Bottom