• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian Air Pollution drifting over the pacific to afflict California

Status
Not open for further replies.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
BudokaiMR2 said:
It seems pretty obvious that those are just remnants of previous emissions. Or did you think that this phenomenon just started and hasn't been going on for years?

If there was any large amounts of activities it would be shown by the BRIGHT RED marks that you see everywhere else.

Haha sorry if I came off as an asshole. I just really thought you were confusing china with canada since there are no red marks of activity in Canada at all. There are more in Florida :p

I think the bright red spots are fires

Also notice how there are dense patches of red points in East Asia. These correspond with intense forest fires, sending vast quantities of aerosols into the atmosphere. Although this image gives the impression that the fires and plumes of aerosols may not be connected, in fact they are. There’s a direct relationship between those fire point and the brown patches appearing to the East.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I know my Uncle who has been all over China for buziness immediately noticed how they just didn't seem to give a fuck environmentally over there. He's not even a big person into being "green" either. Said the air quality sucked, and told a crazy story about a river.

Supposedly the river was crazy polluted, and the government claimed they cleaned it up. To make a grand gesture the mayor had a big publicity stunt that he was gonna swim across the river with whomever else wanted to go. Like a thousand people tried and afterwards the Mayer and most of the people all ended up in the hospital cause of all the toxic shit till in there.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Brettison said:
I know my Uncle who has been all over China for buziness immediately noticed how they just didn't seem to give a fuck environmentally over there. He's not even a big person into being "green" either. Said the air quality sucked, and told a crazy story about a river.

Supposedly the river was crazy polluted, and the government claimed they cleaned it up. To make a grand gesture the mayor had a big publicity stunt that he was gonna swim across the river with whomever else wanted to go. Like a thousand people tried and afterwards the Mayer and most of the people all ended up in the hospital cause of all the toxic shit till in there.

Here's an awesome story to brighten up GAF's day:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11797410

numble

Buba Big Guns said:
From a research project I just finished

xAI7r.png

Cardiopulmonary disease deaths directly caused by particulate matter (which is emitted from burning of fossil fuels).
Did you do a chart that adjusted for population density? The chart is nice, but seems to reflect population density more than anything else (For instance, New York should have nicer air quality than LA, but since it has almost triple the population, it has a larger blotch).

industrian said:
Here's an awesome story to brighten up GAF's day:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11797410
This may brighten you up even more:
http://www.zonaeuropa.com/20100820_1.htm

The developed countries in 2009 (including US, Britain, and Canada) have contributed to only 15% of carbon (fossil fuel) emissions in the atmosphere. China and developing countries A (those whose economies are on the rise) are at about 30%. Developing countries B (smaller economy/high poverty) contribute to the remaining 51%.

However, developed countries make up 74% of the *TOTAL* amount of carbon emissions in the atmosphere (cumulatively over the past several decades), while so far developing countries A have only contributed 18% in total, and developing countries B only at 9% total.

China in particular, although they have made steps to reducing their carbon emissions through reforestation and green energy solutions, have been particularly stubborn at the Copenhagen summit in 2009 because they believe the developed nations (including the US) should be contributing *MORE* to the effort of reducing the total amount of carbon emissions in the atmosphere since 74% of the pollution is of their fault. They go on to say that more restrictions on developing countries A is just a way to limit their economic growth etc. In other words, China and India and others will agree to do something, if the developed nations agree to do *MORE*.

Will China budge on the air pollution flowing over to Cali? Well this is the last day of the Cancun summit, so hopefully that topic is brought up with the Chinese delegates there. Not sure what they'll do otherwise if no real deal is struck between developed and developing countries.

(BTW the whole point of these summit talks is to reduce the total amount of carbon in the atmosphere in order to slow global temperature increase and rising sea levels - specifically, work towards only a 2 degrees celcius increase in world temperature by 2100. We mainly need a global agreement to avoid a 5 degree celcius increase, or massive problems will occur such as mass extinction of wildlife, widespread coral mortality due to bleaching, coastal flooding, and increase in the spread of disease.)

DonMigs85

To Japan and Korea, China is like that burly next-door neighbor whose leaves fall into your yard, but you can't do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom