• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

You guys didn't take the PSAT's? That shit was out of 2400 back in the day...I remember my friend jumping up for joy when he scored a 1500 on the PSAT for a very brief moment thinking he was a genius....

You guys didn't take the PSAT's? That shit was out of 2400 back in the day...I remember my friend jumping up for joy when he scored a 1500 on the PSAT for a very brief moment thinking he was a genius....

Dunno? I actually never studied for SATs because I didn't care but I remember scoring really high in math because I also did really well in that regardless of studying. All I remember is that we were the last year before the total score increased. I remember little besides that. :(

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Ahem, actually, all the classical good looking chicks went to UCLA.

I can attest to this. Walking around campus back in the day was like frolicking in the land of milk and honey.

UCI was more on the ABG side haha. We used to say it stood for University of Civics and Integras.

You kids and your out-of-2400 scores. Back in my day, we only had to shoot for 1600 uphill both ways in the snow. And we liked it!
High five, fellow old-timer.

Ahem, actually, all the classical good looking chicks went to UCLA.

The hot trashy ones went to UCR. You know us, we're the Asian chicks at EDM massives in our underwear and furry boots.

I went to UCR before I transferred to UCSD....It was very hit and miss....The hot ones were hot...the not ones were ....not so much..

cdyhybrid

Sounds like I should have gone to college in California.

I didn't get in to UCLA, USC, or Cal.

I still loved everything about UW though.

Plus I grew up in Hawaii so I got my fill there.

mercviper

Never even knew there was a third option. Shows how much I know about that kinda thing lol.

For SATs, I'm glad I didn't have a writing portion because damn do I suck at that. Took mine basically cold turkey. All I did for prep was an online practice test from their site and got 1330. Wasn't satisfied with that so took it again next year for a 1410, the breakdown was something like 780 math/630 verbal (Damn you analogies).

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
^- Looks like hooded eyes.

BTW y'all... you can "fix" one double one not eyelids. The easiest way is just a bit of glue. Darkness (Korean brand) sells eyelash glue (clear/white) that works really well for eyelashes and double eyelids. You just dip a bit on where the crease should be, and push.

I think most of y'all w/one double one not probably have it in your second eye, but very, very faintly. The glue helps with that.
I imagine that this is often true. I have a friend whose right eye goes from double to single if he's really tired. The skin has the right shape, but the muscles stop holding it up after a while.

People with one and one, is your dominant eye the eye with the double?

Zoe

I wonder if that means the people with the mix are the ones who really would need the surgery when they get old (because the lid starts to obscure your vision, not for aesthetics).

cdyhybrid

Mikado2.png

http://www.asamnews.com/2015/09/15/here-we-go-again-with-the-mikado/

wat da fuq

Wasn't there a thread on this a while back? It sounds familiar.

I imagine that this is often true. I have a friend whose right eye goes from double to single if he's really tired. The skin has the right shape, but the muscles stop holding it up after a while.

I wonder if that means the people with the mix are the ones who really would need the surgery when they get old (because the lid starts to obscure your vision, not for aesthetics).
Mine actually goes from single to double when I'm tired. I don't think I have a dominant eye, though.

Rest

Mine actually goes from single to double when I'm tired. I don't think I have a dominant eye, though.
I'd be surprised if you don't have a dominant eye.
Go outside and pick something you see on the horizon.
Put you hand out at arm's length, and make a circle around the object with your forefinger and thumb. Keep looking at the object.
Close your right eye.

If the object stays where it is, you are left eye dominant. If it moves, you're right eye dominant.

I'd be surprised if you don't have a dominant eye.
Go outside and pick something you see on the horizon.
Put you hand out at arm's length, and make a circle around the object with your forefinger and thumb. Keep looking at the object.
Close your right eye.

If the object stays where it is, you are left eye dominant. If it moves, you're right eye dominant.
I know. That test doesn't work for me, since my "dominant" eye switches from time to time.

I used to shoot archery, and there was no difference whether I kept both eyes open or used either eye.

Erheller

My right eye is dominant, and that's the one with the single fold.

There's a crease there, and if I open that eye really wide I get a double lid, but normally it looks single.

I'm right eye dominant apparently, which is the eye that has the double fold. I think my left eye also gets doubled when I don't sleep. But I'm not 100% sure.

Yeah it sucks my school schedule is all kinds of messed up essentially ruining my chances of getting a job unless a person is fine with someone who only works weekends.

I left my day open for a 8 - 4/4:30 job but they wanted me to stay later.

At least I know I did well and made a good impression at the interview. I would have gotten away if it weren't for my meddling school schedule!

Holy shit at the kid that got arrested for being brown.

He built his own clock and loves NASA...a really good, bright kid... and a bunch of dumbass ignorant hick rednecks fuck over his life.

Fucking dipshits. Hope Ahmed's lawyer wrecks them.

Really disheartening but I'm glad he"s not letting it put him down.

I wish I was half as smart and brave as he is when i was his age.

SystemBug

He built his own clock and loves NASA...a really good, bright kid... and a bunch of dumbass ignorant hick rednecks fuck over his life.

I remember when I got harassed by airport security when I was like 15. It really messed me up and I stopped going to the states to see my family for a few years.

I hope this experience doesn't effect him too negatively

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Considering POTUS just invited him to the WH and Zucker invited him to FB - I think karmic balance is being restored. :D (That POTUS tweet was freaking AMAZING)

When I started in engineering school (2002); the joke was that all EEs (electrical engineers) would at least get accused once of building a bomb, and the indian / south asian / middle eastern EEs should just never be seen playing with an exposed circuit board. There's a reason the kid's engineering prof was like "don't let anyone see that". He knew.

well last night was quite bad and I may not be able to go to school for a little bit. While I was driving home(I'm a commuter) my trailing arms broke in half and I spun out off the road luckily I didn't crash into anyone else and injured myself but my car is out of commission for now.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
well last night was quite bad and I may not be able to go to school for a little bit. While I was driving home(I'm a commuter) my trailing arms broke in half and I spun out off the road luckily I didn't crash into anyone else and injured myself but my car is out of commission for now.

Glad you are in one piece! <hug>

Bummer about your car, but happy you're not hurt.

ouch...hope you recover well..

https://np.reddit.com/r/ChineseLanguage/comments/3l4u3z/what_is_the_meaning_of_nigga/

/r/Chineselanguage discussing &#37027;&#20491;...

Ones I didn't even think of....
"Buy that"
"Your brother"

#An Update#

My car is fixed I bought the replacement parts for around 88$ and saved on installation by doing it myself with help from my father which took most of today but it seems to be fine now. I'm really going to need to somehow find a part time job as my funds are running low now .

#An Update#

My car is fixed I bought the replacement parts for around 88$ and saved on installation by doing it myself with help from my father which took most of today but it seems to be fine now. I'm really going to need to somehow find a part time job as my funds are running low now .

hooray! \o/

...... and happy friday from me also~ (yaya i know u guys are living in the past) (its already friday here ok)

#An Update#

Groovy! I hope you can find a job soon.

Yesno avatar change. can't compute.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Asian thread on OT; as always, be careful and don't get banned <stares at our hyperactive bunny> :D (You know I say that out of much <3).

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
:D

Is it the one about Asian American writers? Or is there another one?

I'm currently prepping for Meet the Firms. I don't know why everyone cares so much about the Big 4 TBH. I'm relatively outgoing, I have decent grades, but I have my heart set on the gov! Seems like everyone else that wants to go into gov work here are kinda... second rate though. It's odd. I feel like I should be pursuing public because that's where all the "good" kids go... but at the same time, I don't really care about... money.

dunno.

It's the Asian-American writers one, and the post that's going to set you off is unbelievably close to happening (someone's going to defend affirmative action in an absolutely derogatory towards Asian-Americans way, don't you worry). :p

American citizenship revoked. Go work for Canada or something.

Hey, she did go into a field that actually pays - so she gets credit for that.

Bunny if you are looking into gov stuff - lemme know; I have contacts in all the places. :D

How many here are in accounting? (Not me. CS major naturally.)

I would kill for a government job. Excellent security and benefits. Sure the pay is lower and you don't get crazy perks like beer in the kitchen and massive parties and events, but that's not my style. I come in, browse GAF 9-5, and go home.

Erheller

How many here are in accounting? (Not me. CS major naturally.)

I would kill for a government job. Excellent security and benefits. Sure the pay is lower and you don't get crazy perks like beer in the kitchen and massive parties and events, but that's not my style. I come in, browse GAF 9-5, and go home.

I'm not in accounting, but a ton of my relatives are.

I went to a wedding a month or so ago and my cousins were joking about how all of our parents were mostly in accounting and business and all of their kids are in medicine.

Asian Gaf, since we got some college students on here, what is your method of keeping track of work? Like class assignments.

I'm juggling class assignments, as well as other college stuff i need to do. I also have to fill out some forms to work as a crew for NYCC. I'm trying to find a better way to manage it other than using a note pad app or a calendar app.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
HMPH.

I WOULD IF THEY WOULD TAKE ME
and if the weather was warmer...

orly

The sad part about government work is that if you don't pass the minimum standards, you can't get in by sheer networking. So far for Cali, I took the government exam and I'm ranked one right now. Veterans auto get a rank 1 too. Unfortunately, 66% of the applicants are in this rank as well. I guess it was a basic "don't suck" test.

Once I finish my CPA, I might take you up on your offer. If you know of anywhere that is hiring though, please let me know :D. I'm going to have a Masters in Taxation and my CPA... that's gotta count for something, right?

A) You can get in with sheer networking - it just has to be a really good contacts. :D (I got lucky and worked for the right state senator / US senator campaign growing up)

B) PM me an e-mail address and you can send me a resume? I can probably find someone hiring for whatever you are looking for. You looking for Texas / California in particular?

Asian Gaf, since we got some college students on here, what is your method of keeping track of work? Like class assignments.

I'm juggling class assignments, as well as other college stuff i need to do. I also have to fill out some forms to work as a crew for NYCC. I'm trying to find a better way to manage it other than using a note pad app or a calendar app.

Student Planner. Seriously.

Really other than keeping a planner or some form of schedule not much oh

You can use this as cheep solution and something pocket-able well http://www.pocketmod.com/ it's a cool little handheld organizer just make sure you cut it right I messed up the first time I tried.

Rest

Bunny if you are looking into gov stuff - lemme know; I have contacts in all the places. :D
Seeing this, I realize I have some too. CA and FED, one's even a tax man.

Estellex

:D

Is it the one about Asian American writers? Or is there another one?

I'm currently prepping for Meet the Firms. I don't know why everyone cares so much about the Big 4 TBH. I'm relatively outgoing, I have decent grades, but I have my heart set on the gov! Seems like everyone else that wants to go into gov work here are kinda... second rate though. It's odd. I feel like I should be pursuing public because that's where all the "good" kids go... but at the same time, I don't really care about... money.

dunno.

People aim for the Big 4 because those firms have high prestige. Most probably won't make it to 2+ year at these firms, but having them on your resume opens a lot of doors to other accounting/business jobs.

People aim for the Big 4 because those firms have high prestige. Most probably won't make it to 2+ year at these firms, but having them on your resume opens a lot of doors to other accounting/business jobs.

That's exactly why and that's why I got into the big 4/5 for banking. It's sort of like trying to get into an ivy league only for your career. Being in one of the big 4 for banking automatically puts me towards the top if I choose to leave and go to another firm, there's a handful of firms that specifically target us to siphon talent. They also generally pay better and if you leave to go to another job you're almost always able to fight for a higher salary based solely on your experience at said firm since they're a lot more selective when hiring candidates. It has a lot of benefits to have that experience for 2-3 years. I think it's more of a thing at the big 4 for accounting since there's very few I knew who make a career of working there but use it as a foundation for the rest of their career.

It's a similar thing with people going into investment banking for finance. You don't go there so you work those crazy hours the rest of your life but rather do it for 2-3 years and then usually leave after it has expanded your exit opportunities from having worked in that field. I get a lot of recruiters who talk to me or call me solely based on the fact of who my employer is, I don't reach out to them.

A) You can get in with sheer networking - it just has to be a really good contacts. :D (I got lucky and worked for the right state senator / US senator campaign growing up)

B) PM me an e-mail address and you can send me a resume? I can probably find someone hiring for whatever you are looking for. You looking for Texas / California in particular?

Student Planner. Seriously.

Really other than keeping a planner or some form of schedule not much oh

You can use this as cheep solution and something pocket-able well http://www.pocketmod.com/ it's a cool little handheld organizer just make sure you cut it right I messed up the first time I tried.

Alright thanks guys. I think I have one of those planners I got at orientation.

My cousin had a western style wedding today. Minus the priest. They also managed to fit some lion dancing. https://instagram.com/p/70m1jRFbIO/

Top Bottom