• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Well to be honest I don't know anyone in real life whose parents are not negatively racist again black people. I've heard plenty of generalizations by race, and within the Asian race, by ethnicity. Most of it is negative anyway, but there's this sort of automatic, almost, negative characterization of black people.

When I first came to America, my grandma would warn us to watch out for black people. She said black people are really racist against Chinese people, and would target them specifically for robberies, muggings, and beatings. So we were taught to fear black people. As I grew older and met more people, I slowly forgot what my grandma told me. Your post reminded me of that just now.

Edit - I fucking hate typing with tablets.

My mom was kinda like that. But then I had black friends and brought em over to the house and she got used to it.

It's kinda what the media will feed people about a population. I remember being a little kid in Pakistan and playing Cowboys and Indians (Native Americans), but nobody liked being the Indians because they were "bad", and the cowboys were "good".

Little did we know but that's just how we were fed in terms of the media we consumed.

Going back, the Eurocentric retelling of history in grade school really bothered me. I remember studying about the Conquistadors and other European explorers; how the textbooks would paint them as these amazing adventurers when in reality these individuals were just genocidal looters and rapists.

SystemBug

Going back, the Eurocentric retelling of history in grade school really bothered me. I remember studying about the Conquistadors and other European explorers; how the textbooks would paint them as these amazing adventurers when in reality these individuals were just genocidal looters and rapists.
Yep that too. It's actually kind of fucked up. No. It is fucked up.

When I first came to America, my grandma would warn us to watch out for black people. She said black people are really racist against Chinese people, and would target them specifically for robberies, muggings, and beatings. Somwe were taught to fear black people. As I grew older and met more people, I slowly forgot what my grandma told me. Your post reminded me of that just now.

Sounds like every Asian grandparent. I grew up in south Seattle though where the majority of the population was black and Asian. So that notion went away real quick. But I always got told i was too black growing up... playing basketball listening to rap and how i dress.

Lol not until middle/high school did i move into the suburbs and got introduced to white people.

My parents dislike Serena Williams for completely non-tennis reasons. It's probably racist.

But we live in an area with not many black people, so it's not a topic that's brought up often.

StMeph

I've asked my parents about it before. Their explanation was basically since their country is so racially homogeneous, and their exposure to black people basically nil, all of their conceived ideas come from media. Basically it's an impression formed from American TV/movie exports, combined with their usual citation of news/crime statistics in major US metropolitan areas.

Who's looking forward to King Kong Vs Godzilla 2? It's gonna be East Vs West again! They better not be giant pussies and actually have a real defeat on screen. Godzilla will fuck up Kong!

IyBh4iU.jpg

My parents do classify rap that promotes sex and partying and stuff as black music so yeah. Kind of racist. Takes a while to get that filtered out.

I had a 2nd interview today for a job. It's a stock room job, which pays well with benefits.

The interview went well, and I believe I'll get the job if they can figure out a work schedule for me around my classes.

But I'm in this program that gives me 500 dollars for my text books and they pay for metro card, but to stay in the program, I need to do 4 hours of mandatory tutoring month. Four hours isn't a lot, but I looked at the scheduled sessions available, and they're all during the day when I'll be working if I get the job.

I'm hoping I can somehow work something out with my adviser's help, but right now I'm in a cross roads between work and school. Kind of stressful.

suzu

lol

I was a little.. uh... snippy...

but it's seriously such a tiring misconception about Asian people wanting to "look white" because it's "more attractive."

Was just feeling a little short with all these people patting themselves on the back thinking how other races must want to look like them.

I pissed off someone enough that they decided to dig through my blog and comment about something from a year ago telling me I was a horrible person and shouldn't make excuses for it (after they failed to grasp the argument in the post...)

/shrug.

Oh boy, I missed the asians wanting to look like white people thing? Some people seem to think they have everything figured out.. lol

zeemumu

LOL. wat. They should give Kong a shotgun, because he's American goddamnit.

As are the best Jaeger's. You don't see Gypsy Danger getting drowned and exploded or whatever the hell happened to Crimson Typhoon. I'll never understand how that three pilot Jaeger system was supposed to work. Did the third guy control one arm or what?

Note to self: buy Pacific Rim artbook...and the entire Harry Potter blu ray box set because I only own the first three and the third one disappeared under mysterious circumstances and I want to have a movie marathon.

Come on guys, you know they'll make Kong even bigger. It's not like it hasn't been done before.

As are the best Jaeger's. You don't see Gypsy Danger getting drowned and exploded or whatever the hell happened to Crimson Typhoon. I'll never understand how that three pilot Jaeger system was supposed to work. Did the third guy control one arm or what?

Yes, none of them have 3 arms. That's why there's a 3rd person. Remember, being in the drift means they know what each other's thinking, but they also need to move to control the Jaeger. Since none of them have 3 arms, you need a 3rd person.

Llyranor

bunny just slapped some sense into people in the racial dating preferences thread.

lol

I was a little.. uh... snippy...

but it's seriously such a tiring misconception about Asian people wanting to "look white" because it's "more attractive."

Was just feeling a little short with all these people patting themselves on the back thinking how other races must want to look like them.

I pissed off someone enough that they decided to dig through my blog and comment about something from a year ago telling me I was a horrible person and shouldn't make excuses for it (after they failed to grasp the argument in the post...)

/shrug.

Oh boy, I missed the asians wanting to look like white people thing? Some people seem to think they have everything figured out.. lol
Who has everything figured out?

I brought up the eyelid surgery thing in that thread and I'm Asian. This isn't about 'Asians just wish they were white hahaha self-haters', it's about not denying that that standard of beauty has no Western influences at all (the thread is racism and sexual attraction, after all). None of us speak for all Asians anyway, so I dug articles about people who've had this surgery in my reply:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178465277&postcount=599

suzu

My problem is perpetuating this notion that most Asians (whether they're in a westernized country or Asia) who get plastic surgery are just trying to look more white/westernized/appeal to westerners.

People seem to really latch onto this. I've heard and read comments from non-Asians wondering why Asians would dye their hair lighter or why they decide to be pale or whatever the hell. Like what is this.

They do.

Sorry, but to me this is basically behavior that perpetuates the racism against Asian Americans.

For example, do SOME Asian women exclusively date white men and shun Asian men? Yes. However, years after years of us saying NOTHING about this has led quite a few nonAsians to truly believe that Asian women worship white cock and that Asian men are inferior.

I don't fucking care if a few self-hating, wish-I-were-white Asians swallow the garbage about "looking white." They can fuck off, and people that want to perpetuate this stupid idea only gives more ammo to white/nonAsianers, "oh look even ASIANS think they're inferior."

Fuck that noise. If I see it I'm going to make it very clear that no, that's NOT how it fucking is, and the dumbfucks that think that (white>Asian appearance) can gargle a rusty cockscrew.

Are there marriage statistics by race by any chance? It's always interesting to me how people think Asians won't marry asians but instead only white people but I would think if you look at stats that it's still a majority of each race marries within the own race more often then not for a multitude of reasons.

Llyranor

My problem is perpetuating this notion that most Asians (whether they're in a westernized country or Asia) who get plastic surgery are just trying to look more white/westernized/appeal to westerners.
I don't know if it's most or not, as I unfortunately haven't found any sociological study/data about the surgery (but would be interested if anyone finds one).

But when the head of the largest Seoul's largest comestic surgery clinics says verbatim that patients come to the clinic to have more American faces, I don't think it's a component that we can just handwave and hope it goes away.

Sorry, but to me this is basically behavior that perpetuates the racism against Asian Americans.
Recognizing racism doesn't perpetuate it, and ignoring racism doesn't make it go away.
I don't fucking care if a few self-hating, wish-I-were-white Asians swallow the garbage about "looking white." They can fuck off, and people that want to perpetuate this stupid idea only gives more ammo to white/nonAsianers, "oh look even ASIANS think they're inferior."
Victims of racism can fuck off? Teenager deciding to get the surgery because of bullying by non-asians? TV host getting told by her boss that her eyes make her look disinterested? Maybe self-racists don't deserve our empathy, but we should also recognize all the societal pressures that can contribute to it. But what then, do we write them off as a lost cause?

--

Ultimately, maybe the 'why' of the surgery doesn't matter, as long as society is comfortable with the rate of cosmetic surgery. It helps with the patients' self-esteem and I guess that's the main point.

Are there marriage statistics by race by any chance? It's always interesting to me how people think Asians won't marry asians but instead only white people but I would think if you look at stats that it's still a majority of each race marries within the own race more often then not for a multitude of reasons.
Iirc, in a GAF thread there was a graph that showed that interracial marriages were still very very low, and the number of Asian-white marriages was dwarfed by Asian-Asian numbers, even if Asian-white was one of the major types of interracial marriages. Don't remember which thread, unfortunately

SystemBug

Western standards of beauty being imposed on darker skinned races is a real thing though. It's one of the reasons Fair and Lovely sells so well in South Asia.

I don't know if it's most or not, as I unfortunately haven't found any sociological study/data about the surgery (but would be interested if anyone finds one).

But when the head of the largest Seoul's largest comestic surgery clinics says verbatim that patients come to the clinic to have more American faces, I don't think it's a component that we can just handwave and hope it goes away.

Recognizing racism doesn't perpetuate it, and ignoring racism doesn't make it go away.

Victims of racism can fuck off? Teenager deciding to get the surgery because of bullying by non-asians? TV host getting told by her boss that her eyes make her look disinterested? Maybe self-racists don't deserve our empathy, but we should also recognize all the societal pressures that can contribute to it. But what then, do we write them off as a lost cause?

--

Ultimately, maybe the 'why' of the surgery doesn't matter, as long as society is comfortable with the rate of cosmetic surgery. It helps with the patients' self-esteem and I guess that's the main point.

I think it's a mistake to confuse wanting "desirable" and wanting "white" features, even though they have been blended together. For example, having larger eyes and lighter skin was a standard of beauty in Asian countries even before Western influences. To look at that history and impose the narrative of Asians want to look white is racist.

Western standards of beauty being imposed on darker skinned races is a real thing though. It's one of the reasons Fair and Lovely sells so well in South Asia.

There is a western standard of beauty that media (at least in America) propagates, but it would be a mistake to assume that it's based on being white and that everyone trying to be beautiful wants to be white.

I feel like crap today... How the hell do you get sick when it's been hot?

Not sure how to answer this question; touching doorknobs IDK , today has actually been dreary for me today and my allergies are finally starting to come back. I hate the cold ,my cousin going back to Philippines for a couple months to visit her family and such and I'm kinda jealous cause of the warmth.

Oh shit, I just realize double eyelids aren't an Asian thing. I was born with double eyelids. My mom and dad also has double eyelids and we're very much Chinese. Weird.

Oh shit, I just realize double eyelids aren't an Asian thing. I was born with double eyelids. My mom and dad also has double eyelids and we're very much Chinese. Weird.

Oh double eyelids and mono-lids; such an interesting topic in some ways really it's just based on genetics as well as can give some migration statistics. For example if you look at Native Americans If I remember correct, it's interesting as you can actually tell vaguely how long ago they migrated from Asia and which part by what type of Eyelid they have. If a native american didnt have a mono-lid I believe it means he actually migrated earlier since the mono-lid are more recent development which is why you see them very commonly with Alaskan Natives (It's also I believe advantageous to cold weather but don't quote me on that) .

My eyelids are hooded so not quite Mono-lid or Double-lid as you can vaguely see on my avatar. I love them but I understand similar to monolids some girls hate them since its harder for make up ; my only fear is my eyelid will consume my eye when im old lol.

They are an Asian thing. I know a lot of Asians, and I'm pretty sure I know less Asians with single eye lids than double. these are mostly South east and southern Chinese people I know. Japanese people tend to have them I've noticed, haven't really paid attention to the rest of Asia though.

People seem to really latch onto this. I've heard and read comments from non-Asians wondering why Asians would dye their hair lighter or why they decide to be pale or whatever the hell. Like what is this.

Does a brunette who wants to dye her hair blonde want to becone an Aryan oppressor?

Ultimately the answer is yes we are all attracted to the blonde white beauty ideal, even other whites. But I think it's more of a unconscious thing than a 'i wish I were white so I'll colour my hair to match theirs' type deal. I know when I dyed my hair, I never thought about wanting to look white.

Now that I've realized some people think that, I just leave my hair to its natural colour.

I've got one double eyelid and one single eyelid. It's literally East meets West on my face.
Me, too. It makes one eye look bigger than another, which sucks.

When I get really tired, though, the single eyelid turns into a double, for whatever reason.

Does a brunette who wants to dye her hair blonde want to becone an Aryan oppressor?

Ultimately the answer is yes we are all attracted to the blonde white beauty ideal, even other whites. But I think it's more of a unconscious thing than a 'i wish I were white so I'll colour my hair to match theirs' type deal. I know when I dyed my hair, I never thought about wanting to look white.

Now that I've realized some people think that, I just leave my hair to its natural colour.
You know, I actually find blonde hair with dark eyebrows really attractive.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Rant moment:

I hate it when folks say they want college quotas (and affirmative action to a lesser degree) to "increase diversity", when it's really "I want to increase my specific group's inclusion". When you are ok with replacing one set of minorities in the workforce with another set and then say it's "working as intended"; you don't give a shit about diversity, you just care about yourself and your own kind.

Rant moment:

I hate it when folks say they want college quotas (and affirmative action to a lesser degree) to "increase diversity", when it's really "I want to increase my specific group's inclusion". When you are ok with replacing one set of minorities in the workforce with another set and then say it's "working as intended"; you don't give a shit about diversity, you just care about yourself and your own kind.
Yeah, those threads are the worst.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I've got one double eyelid and one single eyelid. It's literally East meets West on my face.

Hey, me too. For reference, my mom has double eyelids, my dad doesn't.

ha me too! can lead to awkward pictures depending on the time of the pic is taken

Me, too. It makes one eye look bigger than another, which sucks.

Me too, and all this time, I thought I was the only one!

tumblr_m4wd6c77se1rxsjyqo1_540.png

suzu

I have double eyelids. Majority of my family does too.

Honestly didn't know double eyelids surgery was even a thing until a few years ago.

Me too, and all this time, I thought I was the only one!

tumblr_m4wd6c77se1rxsjyqo1_540.png

A pain I know all too well...

I have this weird irrational fear (well maybe not fear..more like concern? I'm not sure what the correct adjective here is) that when I grow old, I'm going to look like the dude in Big Trouble in Little China.

Victor-300x225.jpg

^- Looks like hooded eyes.

BTW y'all... you can "fix" one double one not eyelids. The easiest way is just a bit of glue. Darkness (Korean brand) sells eyelash glue (clear/white) that works really well for eyelashes and double eyelids. You just dip a bit on where the crease should be, and push.

I think most of y'all w/one double one not probably have it in your second eye, but very, very faintly. The glue helps with that.

Uh oh is this a GAF thread.

They ought to have quotas in everything to be fair. Jobs, spots, entertainment, army, beauty.

TBH though I can see why college quotas are a touchy subject. Just look at Cal Tech... one of the best schools, probably second only to MIT for tech. Cal Tech does completely blind admissions, no preference, quotas, or "affirmative action" at all.

Academic Achievement:

SAT mid-50%: 2230–2340
ACT mid-50% (composite): 34–35
SAT Math Level 2 mid-50%: 800–800
% graduating in top tenth of class: 98%
% graduating in top quarter of class: 100%

https://www.admissions.caltech.edu/content/class-profile

Then look at the student demographics. Also 50% Asian and only 33% white.

If the top schools didn't have affirmative action, every other group (including whites) would be majorly fucked. There is no way they'd
be able to compete. For example, my SAT score was (only) 2100. If I were anyone but an Asian... well, I'd probably have went to a different school. But damn, just checked the numbers for the UC system and the average GPA of each admitted class has gone WAY up wtf.

But it's okay. Just take solace in knowing that, even in those schools, the Asian students are probably a bit smarter than everyone else at that school haha.

Sucks for those of us that were lazy Asians though..

You kids and your out-of-2400 scores. Back in my day, we only had to shoot for 1600 uphill both ways in the snow. And we liked it!

Barefoot both ways in the snow...get this 2400 crap outta here..

Don't worry, guys. I got into some really, really good schools and ended up going to UCI like a moron. You won't surpass my stupidity.

UCI sounds like a really fun school to go to...well IIRC that's where all the good looking Asian girls went.

Oh I was a lazy Asian too :p

(and tbh the Asian students in my program that were born and raised here in the US get uniformly decimated by the international Asian students. Seriously. It's insane.)

My cousins were overachieving students in Taiwan and ended up going to Canada for HS and college. I remember them telling me how much of a joke our education system was even with their English deficit. What? School starts at 8 AM and you get off at 4? So much free time.

Top Bottom