• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Thanks :). I heard rumors that the IRS is ending their hiring freeze in 2016... just in time for my graduation.

SELLING POINT: I bake/bring fresh cupcakes / cookies for the office... that's totally why y'all should hire me. I love feeding everyone sweet baked goods.

Yep, it does seem like a prestige thing over anything else.

I guess we'll see. Seems like they hire a lot of extremely attractive women. Some of the smaller midterm firms look a little appealing... McGladrey, Grant Thorton, even Andersen [lol oh Andersen]. But, apparently it's similar hours and work environment, just less resources and ranking I suppose?

I also heard EY doesn't have tax compliance, only tax advisory, but the other three have some sort of tax compliance side (which is cool). However, it also seems like, from past years, that they tend to only hire people to audit from my school, and only take one or two from the tax side.

OCR is really crazy. This must be what men feel like trying to score with hot chicks on online dating sites, hahaha.

Yeah, it depends on the firm but you usually have noticeably worse pay but may have to work similar hours although it will be less. The logic for most is the pay comes with you. So say you start at $70k for a top 4 instead of $60k and then get raises on that for 2-3 years then you'll keep that salary and usually get a raise to go to one of the middle tier firms you wanted to work at anyhow. Plus if you ever want to switch jobs it's easier showing that on your resume and puts you automatically in a higher group. Is CA pretty lax with the job requirements for your CPA? By me you have to work pretty close in audit for my state so that's why a lot hire to that since you need to work pretty close that to actually get the work experience you need to get the full CPA listed after your name.

PS: I wish girls in my office brought in baked things :(

We need a year of audit work under a licensed CPA, but TBH it's not too hard to get hired. I got to work with a few CPA that were happy to help me sign for my hours, back when I only had my BA in English. lol.

& right now the starting salary in the Big4 here is only 45/50k. It jumps a lot as the years go by, but it's not that high. & TBH, since I don't give too many shits about pay, and I care about stability, security, and (not) stressing out... ... yeah :x.

You can bring in baked goods yourself~. Be the change you want to be!
Yeah, I just pulled numbers out of my ass because I can only talk to finance in north east.

Pressures on ; My Mandarin Chinese midterm is this Friday. I'm confident in speaking but my i'm not the greatest at writing the characters from memory so I been practicing this weekend.

amazing comic con hawaii 2015, me doing stupid stuff at this photo-op wall thing, anyone know what character is on my head?
https://youtu.be/hcQwjFPf4v0

250px-700Sylveon.png

Holy shit. The recent This American Life episode has a story on a dad and son not being to communicate to each other.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/567/whats-going-on-in-there?act=2#play

Hit me really hard because I can relate. The communication with my dad isn't great because my Cantonese is very rudimentary. I think this story mirrors what a lot of us went through growing up..

Holding back tears at my desk this morning.
I just heard that this morning, as well! I've also never had a conversation with my dad before (because he died before I could talk), so I half-relate, and I suspect there are actually many people with similar experiences, with military, absentee, deadbeat dads and whatnot.

I wonder if it's better or worse that he eventually did finally get to talk with his dad.

El Aleph

Banned
Oh I was a lazy Asian too :p

(and tbh the Asian students in my program that were born and raised here in the US get uniformly decimated by the international Asian students. Seriously. It's insane.)

Yep. I've noticed the same thing:

A convoluting factor in the perception of AAPIs taking over STEM fields is a high number of international students that attend college in the United States to pursue specialized training in these fields. This is particularly true for graduate programs in STEM fields in U.S. institutions. For example, whereas data from the Eighth Annual Status Report for Minorities in Higher Education show that 32 percent of doctorates conferred in the United States were to “Asians” in 2000, 86 percent of these degrees were actually conferred to international students from Asia, rather than “Asian Americans.” A recent National Science Foundation publication reported that in the same time period, doctoral degrees awarded to Asians who were U.S. citizens accounted for a mere two percent of all doctoral degrees awarded.

https://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/08-0608-AAPI.pdf

Shinagawa pointed out another interesting phenomenon; later generation (second, third, fourth, etc.) Asian Americans on average have markedly lower education and income compared to immigrant Asians.

In 2007, 33 percent of PhDs conferred in the U.S. were to Asians. However, of that 33 percent, only 2 percent were Asians Americans born or raised in the U.S.

http://www.ibtimes.com/asian-americans-increasingly-defying-stem-stereotype-246578

Sober

Holy shit. The recent This American Life episode has a story on a dad and son not being to communicate to each other.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/567/whats-going-on-in-there?act=2#play

Hit me really hard because I can relate. The communication with my dad isn't great because my Cantonese is very rudimentary. I think this story mirrors what a lot of us went through growing up..

Holding back tears at my desk this morning.
Luckily I don't have an issue like this with my parents - my mom grew up going to more western schools, and my dad traveled to work when he was younger and got a job where you have to interact often in English. But this stuff is definitely true with my grandparents, especially on my father's side. It also didn't help they lived in HK and they passed away fairly recently. It's a little better with my mother's side because they now live close to us in Toronto but holding a conversation is really hard when they only know Cantonese and mine is shitty, and honestly a shame when I think about it.

El Aleph

Banned
That is to be expected considering the strict academic standards in places like China (Urban China) ; an American tiger mom can't be compared to a jungle.

I think population size also plays a role. China alone has 1.3 billion people. That's almost double the population of the entire continent of Europe. With such a deep talent pool, you're bound to find a good number of extraordinarily smart students who outshine almost everyone else. Think of it this way: if you possess 1.3 billion lottery tickets, you have a much greater chance of hitting the jackpot than if you possess 20 million lottery tickets.

In addition, China's best and brightest have a strong incentive to leave their home country, since China is still a developing nation with all that usually entails: mediocre institutions, corruption, squalor, etc. That's even more true of India, which contains another 1.2 billion people.

Conversely, Japan's best students are more likely to remain and study in Japan, since Japan boasts many first-rate universities and has been developed for some time. You don't encounter as many Japanese international students these days, even though Japan is also among the ten most populous countries in the world.

I think population size also plays a role. China alone has 1.3 billion people. That's almost double the population of the entire continent of Europe. With such a deep talent pool, you're bound to find a good number of extraordinarily smart students who outshine almost everyone else. Think of it this way: if you possess 1.3 billion lottery tickets, you have a much greater chance of hitting the jackpot than if you possess 20 million lottery tickets.

In addition, China's best and brightest have a strong incentive to leave their home country, since China is still a developing nation with all that usually entails: mediocre institutions, corruption, squalor, etc. That's even more true of India, which contains another 1.2 billion people.

Conversely, Japan's best students are more likely to remain and study in Japan, since Japan boasts many first-rate universities and has been developed for some time. You don't encounter as many Japanese international students these days, even though Japan is also among the ten most populous countries in the world.

True, I was just pointing out that some of China Scholarly Practices especially in the Urban areas(China is massive and rural areas suffer from lack of proper education) would be considered borderline abusive to a person from the US. This of course doesn't mean because their is so many Intelligent students that this is the best way to educate as many students in fact drop out and as you said its part of China massive population that they got so many intelligent students.

Japan school while they can be rough is much more reasonable to a western audience and of course their is much less of a reason for them to leave Japan(Other than a cool factor of learning in a foreign country) than a Chinese Student would have to leave China.

Sober

Man the recent common core thread just made me remember how much I hated those extracurricular Chinese math programs my parents enrolled me in during high school. Most of it was stupid 'trickshot' math stuff that you just had to know how to deduce but did not really teach you anything before throwing you to the wolves.

Shit like doing ridiculous exponent stuff like 99^99 - 99^50 (not exact, just ridiculous stuff like that ) and expressing the answer in exponent (which meant using a calculator was not the point, because the answer was supposed to come out properly as an exponent).

It's the kinda stuff they made me bash my head against that made me really fed up with trying to do math, so I think as a result I kinda just coasted through it later on in high school proper.

SRG01

Man the recent common core thread just made me remember how much I hated those extracurricular Chinese math programs my parents enrolled me in during high school. Most of it was stupid 'trickshot' math stuff that you just had to know how to deduce but did not really teach you anything before throwing you to the wolves.

Shit like doing ridiculous exponent stuff like 99^99 - 99^50 (not exact, just ridiculous stuff like that ) and expressing the answer in exponent (which meant using a calculator was not the point, because the answer was supposed to come out properly as an exponent).

It's the kinda stuff they made me bash my head against that made me really fed up with trying to do math, so I think as a result I kinda just coasted through it later on in high school proper.

I did Kumon as a kid when I had trouble in math. It did absolutely nothing in terms of improving my math skills.

The only thing that did help was a good teacher explaining the concepts in concrete terms.

Sober

Too bad there's a good contingent of people who would rather just go about saying shit like number lines are worthless or your version of doing math is too complicated, no normal person would / should ever do that.

Too bad there's a good contingent of people who would rather just go about saying shit like number lines are worthless or your version of doing math is too complicated, no normal person would / should ever do that.
Yeah, and that's a problem with our education system in general, I think, and our culture tends to conflate fact and opinion as equal when often they are not. I see so many posts in various places where people bitch and moan about Common Core because it isn't the way they learned how to do it. Often these people are bad at math in general, too.

Nonetheless, I think that, when I have kids, I'll probably try to teach them things like math myself (complementing their schooling--I don't believe in homeschooling) and then enroll them in those SAT prep classes when I can no longer do that. At the very least, it should expand their horizons and expose them to various ways to tackle the same problems.

mercviper

After looking at that common core thread I vaguely remember using or at least seeing those math cube stick thingies.

At some point I must've made the association in my head that a 10s digit equates to a 10 cube stick etc. It was definitely not a prolonged lesson or anything but it seems common core focuses on making sure younger kids make that association before moving on? Anyone know how long it does that before they graduate from continually trying to learn the concept?

Sober

Yeah, and that's a problem with our education system in general, I think, and our culture tends to conflate fact and opinion as equal when often they are not. I see so many posts in various places where people bitch and moan about Common Core because it isn't the way they learned how to do it. Often these people are bad at math in general, too.

Nonetheless, I think that, when I have kids, I'll probably try to teach them things like math myself (complementing their schooling--I don't believe in homeschooling) and then enroll them in those SAT prep classes when I can no longer do that. At the very least, it should expand their horizons and expose them to various ways to tackle the same problems.
Quite a few people in the recent thread insist that rote memorization and dashing your head against things made them the better experts at math they are today because they figured out tools and methodologies to help them sort it out.

Now imagine people who didn't take that step because they found math frustrating and didn't want anything more to do with it. Because I did that for a while but got fed up with I rolled past high school calc.

I wish it could just be 'bad-at-math' people poo-pooing the thing but hell even the OP opens with a STEM major kicking and screaming about it.

It screams of 'fuck you, got mine' from STEM majors and feeds into the STEM vs lib. arts dichotomy that's such bullshit. "not good at math? become a barista/english major I guess" is the kind of bullshit I hate, and I know because I used to be that idiot.

Quite a few people in the recent thread insist that rote memorization and dashing your head against things made them the better experts at math they are today because they figured out tools and methodologies to help them sort it out.

Now imagine people who didn't take that step because they found math frustrating and didn't want anything more to do with it. Because I did that for a while but got fed up with I rolled past high school calc.

I wish it could just be 'bad-at-math' people poo-pooing the thing but hell even the OP opens with a STEM major kicking and screaming about it.

It screams of 'fuck you, got mine' from STEM majors and feeds into the STEM vs lib. arts dichotomy that's such bullshit. "not good at math? become a barista/english major I guess" is the kind of bullshit I hate, and I know because I used to be that idiot.
Yeah, exactly. There's this attitude of "be talented or gtfo" that's ridiculous. Not everyone can or wants to figure out tools and methodologies for dealing with these things, so what are they supposed to do? Give up? How about we bring everyone's standards up instead?

Sober

Some dumb arguments in the CC thread though, like "why would a BSc use a number line ever?" and dumb shit like that.

I can safely say if people were actually taught math correctly at a fundamental level then people wouldn't suddenly drop out of math courses when it stopped being required credits to graduate HS or if it got more people (young women especially) actually interested enough to actually pursue a STEM field major.

In some ways I actually missed the days I was good at math in that it felt like I was actually manipulating the shit to get where I needed, not struggling to remember what procedures to find X Y or Z

I wish I was good at math or at least enjoyed it but it's like puzzles for me I just can't figure them out even simple things like word searches which by the time I find 3 words others had finished it I just seem to lack pattern recognition .

That is one annoying part of going to college since I have no idea what to major in as what I enjoy isn't profitable.

*Reading
*Foreign Language
*Art
*History
*Creative Writing

Ashes

Banned
And college education has to be 'profitable' in the material monetary sense, right?

Whatever path you end up taking, it's common enough not to work in the field best suited to your degree qualification.

It's sad that college education is seen, and is practically, a factory floor for employment.

I wish I was good at math or at least enjoyed it but it's like puzzles for me I just can't figure them out even simple things like word searches which by the time I find 3 words others had finished it I just seem to lack pattern recognition.

You're not alone (I destroy the Asians are smart stereotype lol). I do respect the shit out of math tho.

@Ashes, well for me it has to be profitable and just completing it to please my family since I was the only son in the family to go and complete college.

Which leads me to rushing into college not knowing what I wanted to do. I liked the Creative arts so I went for Graphic Design just for something. Now I struggle to find a job and what I want to do (I know it has something to do with the tech industry whether it be videogames or something)

That's.... What kind of sucks about college in general for me. Some teens still don't know what they want to do but are forced to go to college and end up in debt (like me).

Ashes

Banned
You're not alone (I destroy the Asians are smart stereotype lol). I do respect the shit out of math tho.

@Ashes, well for me it has to be profitable and just completing it to please my family since I was the only son in the family to go and complete college.

Which leads me to rushing into college not knowing what I wanted to do. I liked the Creative arts so I went for Graphic Design just for something. Now I struggle to find a job and what I want to do (I know it has something to do with the tech industry whether it be videogames or something)

That's.... What kind of sucks about college in general for me. Some teens still don't know what they want to do but are forced to go to college and end up in debt (like me).

well, in one sentence, how would you like to make money?

If you are good at languages learn Spanish, Farsi, and Mandarin Chinese.

Then you will make bank as a translator for the US government.

That is an option but right now I'm mainly concerned with trying to find out which majors I should look into to best suit my interest and hopefully result in being eligible to apply for a decent paying job . My family is incredibly poor and old and they are trying their best to help me through college but they are just making enough money through retirement for food so I don't want to end up making a mistake in choosing my major as I will be the first in my family to even go to college (hopefully if my money doesn't run out) .

https://www.ohio.edu/majors/undergrad/

Ashes

Banned
How are you poor if you're rich enough to go to college?

Though, having said that, I can sympathise; a college education, can be a very expensive business.

And I can also see why you'd want to make the best of whatever chances you're likely to get.

The Arts aren't a well paying field. Competition is high, and average wages low.*
STEM subjects tend to have a better reputation in the employment sector.

Still, the average graduate earns more than the average non-graduate. Last I checked. And at least where I am, so there's proof, that a college education, or university one, as it is known here, is worthwhile, overall.

*really low.

How are you poor if you're rich enough to go to college?

Though, having said that, I can sympathise; a college education, can be a very expensive business.

And I can also see why you'd want to make the best of whatever chances you're likely to get.

The Arts aren't a well paying field. Competition is high, and average wages low.*
STEM subjects tend to have a better reputation in the employment sector.

Still, the average graduate earns more than the average non-graduate. Last I checked. And at least where I am, so there's proof, that a college education, or university one, as it is known here, is worthwhile, overall.

*really low.

Scholarships and grants pays for all of my tuition which as long as I keep my GPA (3.0 and community service) up my college as long as it's 4 years and not longer is paid for but I am as mentioned before commuting to school so I have to pay car insurance and gasoline as it's a 45 minute drive.

well, in one sentence, how would you like to make money?

I just want a career that has the least stress for my mental health but also something that can make me happy that I chose this career path. I'm.... Not very confident in myself to be honest and I punish myself harshly from time to time. People keep saying that working out can help boost ones self-esteem and I've been working out for a couple months now but I'm just not feeling it to be honest :/

I wouldn't mind being some form of a videogame journalist honestly but jobs or careers in the tech and videogame industry is also competitive (just like Graphic Design). I'm still in my early twenties and I still have some years left to get back into the work force. But I really need to work on my priorities and figure out who I am first before I get back into it. I've been reading some forums and personal stories about traveling and how it can change a person and make them realize what they wanted to do and it does sound tempting (like a change in scenery or something I don't know).

Tl;dr I freakin' don't know.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I just want a career that has the least stress for my mental health but also something that can make me happy that I chose this career path. I'm.... Not very confident in myself to be honest and I punish myself harshly from time to time. People keep saying that working out can help boost ones self-esteem and I've been working out for a couple months now but I'm just not feeling it to be honest :/

I wouldn't mind being some form of a videogame journalist honestly but jobs or careers in the tech and videogame industry is also competitive (just like Graphic Design). I'm still in my early twenties and I still have some years left to get back into the work force. But I really need to work on my priorities and figure out who I am first before I get back into it. I've been reading some forums and personal stories about traveling and how it can change a person and make them realize what they wanted to do and it does sound tempting (like a change in scenery or something I don't know).

Tl;dr I freakin' don't know.

Part of college is to go through the first couple years of core classes and get exposed to a variety of subjects and hopefully find something that tickles your fancy.

From personal experience - my job is a means to an end - it's not what I love doing (my new job doing analytics I like, which is an improvement) - but for me, I like helping people, and my belief was that if I picked something that made good money, I could help people with the money and the contacts. A lot of that decision came out of my own inability to figure out what I actually wanted to do with my life. If I don't know what I want to do - I might as well do something that gives me more flexibility in terms of the other parts of my life.

Traveling can be fun - but it can be expensive as well. Doing the hostel thing and using the tips of the trade are a must for that.

Aside: Dear lord, stay out of the video game industry.

Ashes

Banned
I freakin' don't know.

Two great pieces of advice on career choice have always stood out for me.

1, don't try.
2, be the best.

1. “Don’t Try”: Charles Bukowski’s epitaph

480x326xbukowski-grave-e1361771067336.jpeg.pagespeed.ic.m7TMj4tYea.webp

2. #bethebest - It's the British Army's advertising campaign. I'm not the soldier type, but I like this slogan, because it contradicts - to my mind -the popular notion of military intelligence being an oxymoran.

Any career advisor worth their salt will know about modern buzzwords such as promotion focused people [get a better job, better life], and prevention-focused people [provide a stable income security]; we've got great examples of those kind of folks in this very thread.

But I like the two above moreso.

The other one I like is a cliché. Life's too short. Don't do whatever it is that you want to do next week or next year. Do it now. Do it today.

Like I said, I need to sort out my priorities and my health first before I get back into it. I just don't have any motivation to do anything. I should look into free counseling and get some anxiety and anti-depressant pills.... Can't let my anxiety and depression beat me down.

Lol aight I need to stop depressing this community.

Since October is getting closer.... Everybodies Asian here so.... What were some scary supernatural myths you were told by your parents or grand parents?

I'll start.... We have a popular lake here, Phalen lake, that has housed many missing people. In my culture, we were told that a shapeshifter is responsible for said missing persons. Sometimes when you go to the lake area by night, you can see their ghosts. I uh.... I'm not very religious but.... The supernatural does something to me and I just don't like that lake lol.

cdyhybrid

Since October is getting closer.... Everybodies Asian here so.... What were some scary supernatural myths you were told by your parents or grand parents?

I'll start.... We have a popular lake here, Phalen lake, that has housed many missing people. In my culture, we were told that a shapeshifter is responsible for said missing persons. Sometimes when you go to the lake area by night, you can see their ghosts. I uh.... I'm not very religious but.... The supernatural does something to me and I just don't like that lake lol.

http://www.52perfectdays.com/travel-tips/52-supernatural-places-oahu/

Now add 6 islands to that :p

I don't whistle at night. Supposedly it summons ghosts or something.

Huh.... Is this an Asian thing? My mom used to tell me this when I was younger. Just looked it up and it is indeed an Asian thing.

Those locations are something alright. Creeped me out! Would you try and make contact at supernatural locations? This is a bit racist and stupid but uh.... I feel as though minorities are smart enough not to do it but white people are dumb enough to do it lol. Like in horror movies I would always go, "dude you're a minority! Don't go out there and call out the creature/ghost!" or that minorities are smart enough to not use Ouija boards and whatnot.

cdyhybrid

Huh.... Is this an Asian thing? My mom used to tell me this when I was younger. Just looked it up and it is indeed an Asian thing.

Those locations are something alright. Creeped me out! Would you try and make contact at supernatural locations? This is a bit racist and stupid but uh.... I feel as though minorities are smart enough not to do it but white people are dumb enough to do it lol. Like in horror movies I would always go, "dude you're a minority! Don't go out there and call out the creature/ghost!" or that minorities are smart enough to not use Ouija boards and whatnot.

My general view towards that stuff is that it isn't real, but I don't intend to find out either way :p

Didn't stop us from going ghost hunting every once in a while in high school, of course. Luckily we only encountered one weird thing the entire time.

A lot of the Hawaii ghost stories essentially carry the underlying message that you need to respect the native culture and customs, and the vast majority of those born and raised there are happy to do so.

zeemumu

That was a,plot point in The Skeleton Key

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Like I said, I need to sort out my priorities and my health first before I get back into it. I just don't have any motivation to do anything. I should look into free counseling and get some anxiety and anti-depressant pills.... Can't let my anxiety and depression beat me down.

Lol aight I need to stop depressing this community.

Please. We have bunny. I'm pretty sure that if this thread ever gets a little down; an avalanche of sugar-infused bunny pictures along with the return of AsianFoodGAF will happen shortly thereafter.

NO GHOST STORIES OMIGOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

906d61263992beb3000e6beab2d860aa.jpg

Hey, vent away. Seriously. & yeah, look into talking with a professional if you can :)

...omg; when we come visit ze bunny; ALL THE GHOST STORIES ARE COMING.

Seconded on bunny's comment - don't hesitate to vent / ask for advice / whatnot. Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to talk over e-mail or phone or whatnot.

I don't necessarily believe in it, but why even bother testing it when avoidance is so trivial? Also, whistling at night feels really weird, since I've always not done it.

cdyhybrid

Anyone looking forward to Dr Ken?

Not really sure what to expect from it. While I enjoyed his character in The Hangover just because it was so ridiculous, it feels a little gross. Hopefully he plays someone a little less...caricature-ish in this.

To be fair, I haven't really paid much attention other than the random commercial that comes on.

mercviper

Now I know how superstitions are spread amongst people today lol.

Obviously, if whistling actually summons a ghost, we should experiment and find out exactly what part of whistling does the summoning. And then we also have a ghost to examine!

re: ghost stories. I wasn't really told anything, except for some feng shui stuff like how your stairs shouldn't be facing the front door since it lets spirits in, which also had to do with why we didn't use the front door to exit/enter the house? I never broke that habit til I went to college tbh.

Anecdotally, when I was a kid I've seen 'ghosts' on a few occasions. One time I was upstairs playing tag in the dark with my brother and sister with our new flashlight gunswords and I popped open the door to my sister's and there was some white amorphous blob floating out of her closet near the ceiling. Stared at it a good 3-4 seconds before I freaked out and ran off.

Other times would be me walking around the house and catching a glimpse of my grandma walking by out of the corner of my eye. Would turn around and say hi to her only to not find her, and then hear the door open behind as she walked in from the backyard (where I was originally facing)

Top Bottom