• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Thank you for the comments about my dogs! =)

Sorry I couldn't respond last night; I had a weird allergic reaction to something from out of nowhere, so I took an antihistamine and went to bed.

Claritin.

I can't take it before bed. Otherwise I can feel my heart rate racing and can't go to sleep.

How did you manage it? Thought you would take something like benadryl or zyrtec, which causes drowsiness.
No, I just took the quick-melt tab. It doesn't really affect my heart rate or anything (the trade off is that it also doesn't work that well for me). And then I went to bed normally.

Happy Labor Day y'all, hope you're having a good one.

I am spending it catching up on the case brief I've ignored for the past three days. haha.

What about y'all?

Not much, just looking sexy.

cHl3IQ8.jpg

robox

Happy Labor Day y'all, hope you're having a good one.

I am spending it catching up on the case brief I've ignored for the past three days. haha.

What about y'all?

i spent the day crammed into a car driving back from burning man.

for an event with such a big edm component, there were surprisingly low proportion of asian girls

So some guy in my speech class today said his favorite place is Chinatown cause of the Sushi. I don't know why but I found that amusing.

Well when I walked out to grab my wallet from my car, I heard "Maggie, put your shirt back on," then turned and the woman was fleeing the cops topless.

Oh hahaha.

zeemumu

I passed both summer course classes! I can't believe it!
Jesse-car.gif

Computer Logic was kicking my ass with those state/transition tables, and Calc II was kicking my ass as Calc II is known to do.

No 1 is Reed Richards.

From the looks of it, it's Reed, then Hank Pym (Ant-Man), then Hulk, then Doom, then Iron Man, then Black Panther, then Cho, then Beast.

It really sucks when you have shit looming over your head and you can't even enjoy vacation. I was at a wedding in Maui over the long weekend and I just couldn't relax because I've got endless apps to fill out. So overwhelmed right now. Hope everything is going well for you all.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109654

Beware the minefield my fellow storm troopers. Slightly off topic but I'm curious..do you guys get offended when someone calls you a racist? I notice that white people in general get really uncomfortable when they're labeled a racist whereas Asians in general kinda just shrug it off. This is an anecdotal conjecture of course.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109654

Beware the minefield my fellow storm troopers. Slightly off topic but I'm curious..do you guys get offended when someone calls you a racist? I notice that white people in general get really uncomfortable when they're labeled a racist whereas Asians in general kinda just shrug it off. This is an anecdotal conjecture of course.

I just read through that entire thread and I found it to be very interesting cross section of different perspectives. I have always had a preference towards Asian women, but have never really made an effort to exclude any race. And honestly, I think that preference is due to liking a certain set of features that a higher percentage of Asian (and Latina) women possess more than just liking the ethnicity.

I have heard that there is a bias against dark skin in many Asian cultures though. My family is pretty dark so I guess I never really thought about it. Have you noticed discrimination against dark skinned individuals, or black people in general? For me, I've personally interacted with so few black people that it's almost a non-factor (which may be a problem in itself).

clav

I have heard that there is a bias against dark skin in many Asian cultures though. My family is pretty dark so I guess I never really thought about it. Have you noticed discrimination against dark skinned individuals, or black people in general? For me, I've personally interacted with so few black people that it's almost a non-factor (which may be a problem in itself).

Yes since there's a phenomenon of white privilege.

Yes since there's a phenomenon of white privilege.

Well, I've heard that the preference for lighter skin in Asian countries predates western influence, so wouldn't it be disconnected from white privilege?

I could have sworn that, at that time, there was some official ranking, and Banner was at the top. I would have also thought that Reed and Doom should have won it, but I was surprised that they didn't.

Doom and Richards should be tied for #1. Anything else is a joke!

Edit:
Well to be honest I don't know anyone in real life whose parents are not negatively racist again black people. I've heard plenty of generalizations by race, and within the Asian race, by ethnicity. Most of it is negative anyway, but there's this sort of automatic, almost, negative characterization of black people.

Growing up it seemed normal. Now that I'm older and I realize this, I just sort of /shrug and think to myself not to be like that.

My family isn't snow-white pale, but most of us are on the lighter side. I've never been a fan of super dark tans in anyone... but I like that bronze look. Like Sung Kang. nomnomnom.

I have never heard my parents say anything negative towards black people. Of course, I don't think I've really heard them mention black people at all. Still, the first time they mentioned gay people was my stepdad saying that he was glad I found someone, but would've been happy to see me happy even if it was a man. He and my mom thought I was gay. So...I count that as a win.

And in high school I looked like burnt toast due to 2 hours of swimming every day. I hope it didn't disgust people too much.

zeemumu

And in high school I looked like burnt toast due to 2 hours of swimming every day. I hope it didn't disgust people too much.

giphy.gif

Yes.

Quick side topic, I just noticed this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109954

It has nothing to do with our usual ranting about diet racism. These stealth-brag threads usually annoy me, though. Yes, we're all so smart that we have to "play dumb" to interact with others. Because they're dumber than us, you see. Right.

People sometimes think I'm playing dumb when I'm genuinely just dumb. Just because I'm Asian doesn't mean I'm smart. I am good at math though...

zeemumu

Quick side topic, I just noticed this thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1109954

It has nothing to do with our usual ranting about diet racism. These stealth-brag threads usually annoy me, though. Yes, we're all so smart that we have to "play dumb" to interact with others. Because they're dumber than us, you see. Right.

That wasn't my reasoning for playing dumb. It just helps to weed out people who are secretly assholes.

Hmm...I didn't get the impression that OP was stealth bragging. I feel like everyone finds themselves in social situations where it's just better to feign ignorance rather than correcting someone on something very minor and potentially offending them.

Sober

I told myself to stop playing dumb as often but right now I feel like I've overcorrected the past few times and I just came off really condescending. So yeah, back to playing dumb, I guess.

Does it count as playing dumb if you sit in silent judgment of what someone is saying without responding at all?

Isn't that playing smart? Intense look of contemplation while uttering a nonsensical term that sounds complex. Every once in awhile say algorithm because algorithm has replaced paradigm as the go to word for sounding smart.

Ah yes.. that sounds eerily similar to the quantum mechanical bioprocessing algorithm I wrote a couple years back.

robox

Isn't that playing smart? Intense look of contemplation while uttering a nonsensical term that sounds complex. Every once in awhile say algorithm because algorithm has replaced paradigm as the go to word for sounding smart.

Ah yes.. that sounds eerily similar to the quantum mechanical bioprocessing algorithm I wrote a couple years back.

that is plain ol' dumb. those words have different meanings.

zeemumu

This would be way funnier if you weren't exactly like this almost 24/7 :p

(I just had another dumb moment. I spelled Voldemort as Voldermort... TWICE. IN ONE CONVERSATION.)
(Then I almost literally choked on the pumpkin spice latte I am drinking when I read StMeph's comment.)

.............................. /faceplant

I bet you've been pronouncing the "T" at the end of his name too. You'll never join the Harry Potter fan club and get to yell at your celebrity crush over Twitter with such poor knowledge of the franchise.

SystemBug

My mom was kinda like that. But then I had black friends and brought em over to the house and she got used to it.

It's kinda what the media will feed people about a population. I remember being a little kid in Pakistan and playing Cowboys and Indians (Native Americans), but nobody liked being the Indians because they were "bad", and the cowboys were "good".

Little did we know but that's just how we were fed in terms of the media we consumed.

Top Bottom