• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

cdyhybrid

Ay you north side bitch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6xRCu3kYVY

Haha j/k. I think the "Seattle Freeze" is a little exaggerated but everything else I feel pretty spot on. Crazy how I knew them before they went to Cali too. Now all Youtube famous and shit.

Hah, I didn't know they were from here. I didn't follow them closely or anything though. Pretty accurate, I think.

Also, I'm a Hawai'i Asian, not a Seattle Asian :p I just live here!

zeemumu

Touche.

Fine :D. Anyone want to get omakase, (nigiri-only) with me :p?

Is that what we got that one time?

That's the thing though. An American 3/5 is basically a 0.5/5 on the Asian scale.

So to a racist Asian person I'm worth even less than I am to any other racist?

I'm watching Nostalgia Critic reviews of various animated Titanic films. One involves a rapping dog and talking mice. The other involves communication with sea life through magic moon beams reflected off of a woman's tears and a secret conspiracy to sink the ship with the help of criminal sharks who trick an octopus into throwing an iceberg...and talking mice...and also no one died.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
Couldn't see anything in San Jose due to the cloud cover.
I feel like in this situation my older relatives would comment on this being an inauspicious sign.

My friends and I were discussing moon cakes and I said I liked the one with nuts.

"Ewwww"
"Those are the worst"
"What's wrong with you?"
"We can't be friends anymore"

So are these still popular in korea? Our local korean supermarket just started selling these.
hMxZufX.jpg

SRG01

My friends and I were discussing moon cakes and I said I liked the one with nuts.

"Ewwww"
"Those are the worst"
"What's wrong with you?"
"We can't be friends anymore"

I saw one with a sign that said it had pine nuts.

Pine nuts. In moon cake. What in the world?

Llyranor

Well, post-festival season is the best time to get them for cheap!

I can never eat more than the quarter of one at a time, though. More than that and I get sick of it. The salted egg is also mandatory.

Mooncakes are not bad; It's just not something I can eat whole ,only 1/4th a mooncake for me. I find the number one issues people have when they try a mooncake is assuming they are going to sweet and that can't be any further from the truth (Though apparently they are some varieties that are sweet don't know which as I never had any of them) .

StMeph

I don't like moon cake, either, guys. It's too dry.

Sun cake is really good, though.

You are conscripted to our cause in this budding war.

Congratulations on joining the winning side.

I find the number one issues people have when they try a mooncake is assuming they are going to sweet and that can't be any further from the truth.

They are almost uniformly sweet, unless you're expecting some other level of sweetness not native to Chinese desserts.

StMeph

Oh, apparently there are savory mooncakes, based out of Shanghai. TIL.

Yeah. My mom gave me one this year that had pork sung in it. I was a bit confused when I took a bite.

Did not know. That sounds worse in every way, but I'd probably try one once.

Not a big fan of them myself. Too sweet. There are some that are just sweet enough for me, so those I can stomach.

No fence-sitters.

I don't know what mooncake is.

Extremely overprice treats that taste good for the first 3 bites then you're like sick of it.

Extremely overprice treats that taste shitty for the first 3 bites, but you are still forced to finish because otherwise you would be wasting food.

Also:

Extremely overprice treats that taste shitty for the first 3 bites, which you knew they would anyways, but thought (wrongly) that maybe this time it would be different.

You are conscripted to our cause in this budding war.

Congratulations on joining the winning side.

They are almost uniformly sweet, unless you're expecting some other level of sweetness not native to Chinese desserts.

Sorry , I should rephrase it to surgery like a kind of candy sweet yes the bean paste is sweet but not in a western sense which is what many people who haven't tried mooncakes are expecting and instead get overwhelmed with eggyness. .

we was trying to get people yesterday at the university to try mooncakes - it didn't go very well because of the reason above than again most people didn't even like White Rabbit candies and so I ended up just taking most of them home for personal use.

SRG01

Apparently some people take an entire mooncake and just take bites out of it O_O I just use a knife and fork and cut small pieces out.

Sober

Man I know they kinda reused the gag on Fresh Off the Boat this week but yeah Asian families rarely hug so it was hilarious to see every time.

Top Bottom