• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

Llyranor

Yo, y'all remember this (I can't be the only one right?)?

return-of-condor-heroes.jpg

(Return of The Condor Heroes 2006) Shit was my jam lol. Mainly because of LYF, she was and is still bae.
Haha I'm all about the 1983 version.

I dunno, I love and grew up with Wuxia from the 80's and 90's, but can't stand the recent ones. Maybe it's the melodramatic Mainland productions with cheesy bad acting and awful CGI fight scenes (with camera shakes/cuts replacing decent choreography). Where is the old TVB ;___;

Yo, y'all remember this (I can't be the only one right?)?

return-of-condor-heroes.jpg

(Return of The Condor Heroes 2006) Shit was my jam lol. Mainly because of LYF, she was and is still bae.

My name comes from this shit.

Western is from Yang Guo Western Eccentric.
Heretic is from Huang Yaoshi Eastern Heretic.

Combined the name from my two favorite character and plus I live in Seattle (West coast) so it made sense.

Seen every version of trilogy and every other drama base off of Jin Yong's novels.

Man... I just literally stood there as I watched my friend get in the friendzone with this girl that he was harping over these past few months. It.... Was.... So..... Sad.

All I need to remember was her saying, "ew no" to him as he tried to put his hand over her shoulder for a picture :'(

SystemBug

Man... I just literally stood there as I watched my friend get in the friendzone with this girl that he was harping over these past few months. It.... Was.... So..... Sad.

All I need to remember was her saying, "ew no" to him as he tried to put his hand over her shoulder for a picture :'(
Holy

That doesn't sound like friendzoned that sounds like straight up rejection. Friend zoned is like "I like you as a brother" or "I like you just as a friend".

zeemumu

That doesn't sound like friendzoned that sounds like straight up rejection. Friend zoned is like "I like you as a brother" or "I like you just as a friend".

Maybe, unless he did the arm picture thing immediately after she said that she just wanted to be friends and wrecked any chance for friendship.

I got most of this work done yesterday so I'd have today off to do whatever. Guess I'm off to Anaheim.

Zhao_Yun

I'm always clean shaven. Even if I let it grow I don't have much facial hair, so I might as well shave it off completely.

Do you guys call your siblings by their name or family title?

I rarely use my brother's name (not counting when I'm talking to non-family) and refer to him as 弟弟 (didi - younger brother) even when we're speaking in English. lol

My sister is calling me "older brother" (哥哥) but I call her by her name. According to my parents I was never told to call her by family title since she is younger than me. My father calls all his younger siblings by name as well whereas they also refer to him as 哥哥.

Grakl

I could never grow a full mustache/beard which is fine since I hate facial hair, but I still grow enough that I have to shave it relatively often, sucks

My facial hair is getting more prominent as I get older (cry), but it still looks terrible if I go a day without shaving.

I've been told that saying "older brother/sister" is a sign of respect. My younger siblings don't bother though, and I don't really care.

suzu

I like some stubble or a clean shaven look on guys. :v

That's interesting. In my family even twins use family titles with each other. I've gotten used to calling my close cousins older brother/sister (they just use my name). The ones that are younger than me are called by their names or nicknames.

Huh, same here.

Bunny got wispy facial hair but likes to keep it clean shaven confirmed.

All jokes aside. my sister and I use those titles when talking to family in Chinese (she calls me 哥哥. I call her 妹妹) . Otherwise it's just by our English names for other people.

Sober

I love shaving so I grow stubble so I can shave it when it gets too long.

There's like a period of a few days where it's the right length too, after that it kinda gets gross though. At least I've shaved enough that I can grow it longer but it won't look like a pubestache.

I have facial hair but I still have a babyface whenever I go out to the bars or clubs and people ID me and can't believe I'm in my mid 20s lol. It's like a lighter version of Cao Caos facial hair lol. I sort of want to save my facial hair and get the full Cao Cao.

SystemBug

Ahhh boyfriend bought me this game, haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Once school is over I am hooking myself to a computer and literally never leaving.
I hope you like it!

I'm a very sensitive person or at least compared to most of my male friends but the game has feeling of warmt to it that most games don't.

Lord, the anime club at my school is having a "Maid Cafe" as their Halloween party.

I found this out today when I was talking to a guy in both the anime club and the game club.

................................... my god my skin is crawling. Something about that is megacringe to me.

Then again, a bunch of 20 year old weeaboos.... I guess it's to be expected?

*edit: Just remembered something amusing. I was remarking to one of my nonAsian friends how funny it is our school has both a Nihon Club and a "Japanese Interest Club." The Nihon club, of course, is filled with actual Japanese Americans, whereas the Japanese Club is... well, you can imagine. They're the same kind of people that want to throw a Maid Cafe party.

First words out of my friend's mouth- "Why? Are the Japanese like, racist or something?"

............... uh, what about perhaps they don't want to be associated with a group of people fetishizing their culture and ethnicity?

(No, that's not what I said. I just laughed and shrugged when it was obvious this kid was NOT going to understand the dynamics/politics.) I mean, I get there's a problem in Japan with the concept of a gaijin, but that's entirely not the point :x.
So is it a bunch of guys dressed as maids? You should attend brah.

If its anything like my anime club at my campus, they'd be all dudes.

Lord, the anime club at my school is having a "Maid Cafe" as their Halloween party.

I found this out today when I was talking to a guy in both the anime club and the game club.

................................... my god my skin is crawling. Something about that is megacringe to me.

Then again, a bunch of 20 year old weeaboos.... I guess it's to be expected?

*edit: Just remembered something amusing. I was remarking to one of my nonAsian friends how funny it is our school has both a Nihon Club and a "Japanese Interest Club." The Nihon club, of course, is filled with actual Japanese Americans, whereas the Japanese Club is... well, you can imagine. They're the same kind of people that want to throw a Maid Cafe party.

First words out of my friend's mouth- "Why? Are the Japanese like, racist or something?"

............... uh, what about perhaps they don't want to be associated with a group of people fetishizing their culture and ethnicity?

(No, that's not what I said. I just laughed and shrugged when it was obvious this kid was NOT going to understand the dynamics/politics.) I mean, I get there's a problem in Japan with the concept of a gaijin, but that's entirely not the point :x.
This is UCI?

To address your friend's point of view, though, as a non-Japanese person who's always worked for Japanese companies, I do feel there is some insularity and sense of superiority, and it expresses itself in their hiring practices that seem to border on nepotism. I'll often see people getting hired and promoted just because they are Japanese, and it's honestly very irksome for me.

I imagine this would hold true for companies of other nationalities as well, though.

SystemBug

If I were you, I would have just called those dudes out on their lack of understanding.

Aint got time 4 dat shit yo

btw our racist, pos, prime minister is now out.

now we have some guy with nice hair, who i spoke to twice before. seems weird.

cdyhybrid

Not UCI~

My dad is the same as you, yeah, I think it's been widely acknowledged that there is the idea of Japanese superiority... but in terms of school clubs, I have a feeling it's much less sinister.

There's nonJapanese people in the Nihon club, but the Nihon club is much more like the other ethnic clubs (Chinese Club, Korean Club, etc). The "Japanese Interest Club," which is partnered with the "Anime Club," reeks of weeabooness. I feel really bad for Japanese Americans, sometimes more than other Asian groups, when it comes to cultural appropriation, because there is this strange love affair people have with "Japanese culture" that is really... cringeworthy. There's really no equivalent when it comes to other kinds of Asians, except maybe the random Chinese character tattoos that were a thing for a bit.

I suppose I'm just looking at a group of kids that are still going through their OMIGOD EVERYTHING IS KAWAII DESU BAKA phase.

(But seriously, Maid Cafe themed Halloween party? ...sldkgskdghsdlghsdg)

I assume those are the people that keep making the "So, am I the only one that hates taking showers?" threads in OT.

Not UCI~

My dad is the same as you, yeah, I think it's been widely acknowledged that there is the idea of Japanese superiority... but in terms of school clubs, I have a feeling it's much less sinister.

There's nonJapanese people in the Nihon club, but the Nihon club is much more like the other ethnic clubs (Chinese Club, Korean Club, etc). The "Japanese Interest Club," which is partnered with the "Anime Club," reeks of weeabooness. I feel really bad for Japanese Americans, sometimes more than other Asian groups, when it comes to cultural appropriation, because there is this strange love affair people have with "Japanese culture" that is really... cringeworthy. There's really no equivalent when it comes to other kinds of Asians, except maybe the random Chinese character tattoos that were a thing for a bit.

I suppose I'm just looking at a group of kids that are still going through their OMIGOD EVERYTHING IS KAWAII DESU BAKA phase.

So, you're saying the "Japanese Interest Club" is made up of GAF members?

Sober

I assume those are the people that keep making the "So, am I the only one that hates taking showers?" threads in OT.
I literally cannot go the sleep without showering beforehand, unless I'm like top 10 drunk off my ass or there's a good other reason.

Hell it's not even hot these days but I have to take a second show if I took an earlier one, even just a quick hop in there before bed. I don't understand Stinky-GAF.

Oh and I literally live at home and basically don't interact with people but I shower anyway. And I probably have the gene to not smell terrible too.

I literally cannot go the sleep without showering beforehand, unless I'm like top 10 drunk off my ass or there's a good other reason.

Hell it's not even hot these days but I have to take a second show if I took an earlier one, even just a quick hop in there before bed. I don't understand Stinky-GAF.

Oh and I literally live at home and basically don't interact with people but I shower anyway. And I probably have the gene to not smell terrible too.

The worst part of taking a shower is leaving the shower.

Rooster12

Not UCI~

Those weaboos probably know more about Japan than those so-called Japanese-Americans, who just sit around all day complaining about weaboos.

Now who would you want to rather hang out with?

yea I am out of that thread. I can't tell if they are being serious or not but this guy just randomly decided its about me.

I had to read your post multiple times because I didn't get why that guy was calling you out...and I still don't either..at no point did you say what he accused you of saying.

Zoe

Those weaboos probably know more about Japan than those so-called Japanese-Americans, who just sit around all day complaining about weaboos.

Now who would you want to rather hang out with?

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the issue here? Ethnic clubs are more about doing random stuff with people who have similar backgrounds. Culture clubs are about doing culture-specific things with people who have common interests.

Top Bottom