• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

zeemumu

Holy crap, Halo 5 is awesome. 4 player co-op with the squad set up...so good.

Also, the game is goooorgeous.

I don't know why but Blue Team feels weaker than Osiris. Don't mind though because both teams are great. They upped the power of the enemies so you don't feel like a one-man army anymore. Now you feel like a team of one man armies fighting several armies at once. I didn't have a lot of time because i had to finish this programming project but so far so good. I'm on the
Arbiter's planet
right now.

I'll do FB and start pm-ing y'all.

It's definitely safe, but sometimes there are things I want to share but don't want out on the open internet!

I know using email quotes works, but that's still more risky to me than a closed secret FB group. haha

Would it be weird if I'm in the group but clearly not Asian? Probably not if it's just you guys.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
I'll do FB and start pm-ing y'all.

It's definitely safe, but sometimes there are things I want to share but don't want out on the open internet!

I know using email quotes works, but that's still more risky to me than a closed secret FB group. haha

Excellent. I assume anything on the internet period, private or open, is functionally open. :D

Read: racist.

Shh dont give the gig up

I don't know why but Blue Team feels weaker than Osiris. Don't mind though because both teams are great. They upped the power of the enemies so you don't feel like a one-man army anymore. Now you feel like a team of one man armies fighting several armies at once. I didn't have a lot of time because i had to finish this programming project but so far so good.

Would it be weird if I'm in the group but clearly not Asian? Probably not if it's just you guys.

The special weapons Blue Team has are preeeetty badass. Kelly's shotgun is hilarious.

I don't care if non asians join the group.

EDIT: That Dawkins thread is hilarious and sad.

It took me three years, but I found them. Finally!

IMG_20151028_205052.jpg

SystemBug

yep,

here's a link to my fb. (quote it to see it!)

send me a friend request an a message just letting me know that your from gaf and ill add you guys to the group

nomnomnomnom. Where did you find it?
There's this new Japanese market called Tokyo Central + Main on Redondo Beach Blvd., where the old Marukai used to be (the one with Mammoth Bakery, which is actually still there).

They also have 6-packs of Orion! Both of these things are super, super rare.

This is now my favorite market.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
would this thread be a good discussion of asian american issues and what not? so far it seems to be off rails...

So where did YesNo go :(
I miss you sooooo

I mean, we have them? But we also just enjoy talking to each other sometimes :).

Feel free to bring up any you want to discuss. I know that Cybit always gives really well thought out responses.. and a lot of us chime in from time to time.

Sorry privacy settings are that way. I did get a message from SystemBug earlier so I made him an admin in the group and if I can't respond to y'all (sorry, interview AND midterm coming up tomorrow and Friday), then he'll definitely add y'all. You better.

Definitely feel free to bring stuff up to discuss. :)

I like the fact that the thread sometimes talks about Asian-American issues, sometimes about personal issues, sometimes about life, and lots of time about food. Feels more like real-life. Not everything is good all the time, not everything is bad all the time, and there's always food to drool over. :D It's easy to feel powerless and angry if all I dwell on are the bad things, IMO.

yep,

here's a link to my fb. (quote it to see it!)

send me a friend request an a message just letting me know that your from gaf and ill add you guys to the group

Sent

Another how often do you shower threads.

I feel like whenever these kinds of thread show up, there's some Gaffer wanting to post "not everyday", but feel discouraged whenever says "everyday".

Sober

I feel like whenever these kinds of thread show up, there's some Gaffer wanting to post "not everyday", but feel discouraged whenever says "everyday".
Every other day is acceptable if you maybe live/work at home and don't go out much or something, and even then imperceptible perspiration is a thing.

(I don't go out much but I shower every day cause fuck going to bed feeling gross)

zeemumu

My only excuse for not showering is if I was asleep that entire day. That doesn't happen as much anymore because I have to depend on myself for food.

I'm sorry gaf, but at my College's Chinese Culitural Event today we tried on various Traditional Chinese clothing I'm such an awful Cultural Appropriating bastard lol.

So I actually got involved in the new Anita Sarkeesian thread on gaming side.

People are arguing that her attempts at changing the gaming industry is better served if she tackled sexism at its roots.

I never understand why people think we can only battle one aspect social or civil injustice at a time. It feels real cheap when people focus on only one issue at a time while placing other issues on the wait list.

People are arguing that her attempts at changing the gaming industry is better served if she tackled sexism at its roots.

I never understand why people think we can only battle one aspect social or civil injustice at a time. It feels real cheap when people focus on only one issue at a time while placing other issues on the wait list.

It's a way to deflect.

"Why do we got to worry about X, when there's Y to think about?"
"We need to solve [longstanding problem with hard/impossible solution] X first"

Sober

Clearly the solution they're asking for is to go back in time and give everyone who establishes a patriarchal society a stern talking to. Is that too much to ask?

Sounds like some #AllLivesMatter bullshit if you ask me

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Same here, but what's the point since we all look the same

/winner

Abort! Abort! No good can come of that thread.

I ended up posting in that thread - but just to bring up that even Tycho talked about how bad harassment can get at PAX AUS during the stream yesterday.

I'm in China again. Will be staying there for a year or so. Man, I hope this work experience will boost my resume. Or else I wouldn't even bother.

vern

I'm in China again. Will be staying there for a year or so. Man, I hope this work experience will boost my resume. Or else I wouldn't even bother.

Guangzhou right? I'll be moving down there or Shenzhen this month, if all goes to plan. Gotta sort it out with my company... We can grab a beer or something. You got Wechat already?

I've always wanted to live in Taiwan or China for a year . It's too bad I'll never be able to.

Why not?

Thought I'd share some photos and a brief story from a walk around rural Shanghai the other day, if anyone is interested.

The old fella took me into his home and cooked me dinner from his farm. He is gonna be forced out of his home soon (Next Spring Festival) to make way for new development. He is originally from Anhui but has been in Shanghai on this plot of land for 10 years. He said he isn't sure where he will go next, but likely back to his hometown. His two daughters are still in Anhui, his son lives in Shanghai and is a businessman. I'll head back there soon and go fishing with him. I owe him a few beers too.

Rural Shanghai by Eric, on Flickr

1- My significant other is not Chinese and both our careers would never really take us into China.

2- I was born in Taiwan (but pretty much grew up here- came over when I was like 3). So if I stay here more than a couple of months, I'd have to do mandatory military service (which conflicts with my career).

Top Bottom