• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

cdyhybrid

Question: did a nurse tell you this?

Because I've found nurses are fucking obsessed with people's veins.

If a nurse didn't tell you this you go get a second opinion. A proper assessment.

My summer fling was with a nurse and she'd always remark about how easy it would be to find my veins for an IV.

zeemumu

Question: did a nurse tell you this?

Because I've found nurses are fucking obsessed with people's veins.

If a nurse didn't tell you this you go get a second opinion. A proper assessment.

No a nurse did tell me. I was giving blood on campus today. Since it was my first time they decided that it was only right to try as hard as possible to cause me to develop a fear of needles. Didn't work, but I give them an A for effort. The first nurse ended up calling over a 2nd nurse to help her find my veins, and she said that they were in the exactly same place on both of my arms. She actually missed the first jab, then on the 2nd one, something was weird with the tube so they couldn't get the machine to draw blood. I got snacks and coupons anyway.

mercviper

Man I hope my prof doesn't actually count this late.

yt4MemM.png

When I hear something is due by Tuesday I expect to be able to turn it in on Tuesday lol.

This is what I get for spending the last 10 minutes trying to fix aesthetics instead of turning in a working program first.

zeemumu

yt4MemM.png

When I hear something is due by Tuesday I expect to be able to turn it in on Tuesday lol.

This is what I get for spending the last 10 minutes trying to fix aesthetics instead of turning in a working program first.

Was it allowed to be turned in at any point on Tuesday or by a certain time on Tuesday? My last CS project was due on Wednesday, but had to be turned in by 10:30.

That was a weird dream. My Cards Against Humanity cards were scattered all over the place and I accidentally killed several people in Undertale. I also woke up this morning to realize that this internship for Playstation requires me to have knowledge of C++ but my computer science classes code almost exclusively in Java. Well, time for a side-hobby.

Grakl

yt4MemM.png

lol, blackboard probably thinks 11:59 = 11:59:00, so anything in the minute is late, which is hella dumb but hilarious. I assume your prof wont count it as late

If you have to ask whether or not you're welcomed in this thread. Don't...instead just post delicious food pics and everything will be good.

Weird coincidence, my wife is going to be 14 weeks pregnant tomorrow.

If yours is a boy I hope you don't name him Aiden. There's a thousand of them every square meter in Toronto.
Congratulations!

Also, thank you all for the well wishes, everyone!

I have no plans to name the baby Aiden, so no worries there.

Do you live near where I do? Are we going to raise our kids together? Will they hook up with each other!?

SystemBug

Speaking about names, I don't mean to come of as rude or ignorant but why do so many Asian people I have come across have two names? They have their actual names and then their white names. Why is that? Is it because they are afraid people can't pronounce them properly?

Weird coincidence, my wife is going to be 14 weeks pregnant tomorrow.

If yours is a boy I hope you don't name him Aiden. There's a thousand of them every square meter in Toronto.

Holy shit my wife really, really wants to name our future kid Aiden. I am staunchly against that because I think it sounds kind of douchey (sorry Aidens!).

Speaking about names, I don't mean to come of as rude or ignorant but why do so many Asian people I have come across have two names? They have their actual names and then their white names. Why is that? Is it because they are afraid people can't pronounce them properly?

I can barely pronounce my last name correctly and have never met a non-fluent Mandarin speaker who was able to pronounce it either. Was sent to the principal's office over this very issue as a kid. Having to deal with everyone asking me how to pronounce my full name during every interaction would have resulted in me stabbing someone with a pencil.

SystemBug

I can barely pronounce my last name correctly and have never met a non-fluent Mandarin speaker who was able to pronounce it either. Was sent to the principal's office over this very issue as a kid. Having to deal with everyone asking me how to pronounce my full name during every interaction would have resulted in me stabbing someone with a pencil.

Yeah, but that's what everybody who's like not white kinda goes through. I have Nigerian friends, Sri Lankan friends - names with a lot of characters in it, but I haven't seen them change their name.

But every Asian person I have come across, always has a white name.

I mean whatever.

I have always seen it as a rejection of one's cultural identity.

As far as name pronunciation goes, I have no idea how properly pronounce my own first name lol

I only have a white name (well, I do have a Chinese name, but I don't have a westernized version of it). I think it's common for second-and-higher generations who were born outside of Asia.

SystemBug

I only have a white name (well, I do have a Chinese name, but I don't have a westernized version of it). I think it's common for second-and-higher generations who were born outside of Asia.

Oh yeah I get that for 2nd generation immigrants, but I'm mainly speaking about people who immigrated to a Western country.

SystemBug

I would imagine it would be much less of a hassle to have a Western name to go by.

Also help fit in, etc.

Yeah there is a part to that. I used to hate my name. I used to despise it. I actually cried about it.

But then I grew to love and it and in some funny way it empowers me now.

Bruh... My Hmong name is awesome and it translates to Savior. Shit is awesome being called Savior lol.

I don't think it's Asians or other races neglecting their culture it's just to make it easier for people to pronounce. I'm pretty sure many people hear it all day from their parents or grandparents so now their parents and grandparents just call them something else to make it easier. My mom does, my fam does it, and my friends do it too. It's just easier for people.

But there are many others who also hate their cultural names. Not just the Uncle Toms and whatnot.

Also that earwax thread is hilarious.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
But I don't eat D:

Spend more time in this thread and you will.

Also note: The patron saint of this thread is Bunny. She prefers her offerings in sugary treats. Good to always have them on you. Gives you time to get away from random bunny attacks.

suzu

Do you guys call your siblings by their name or family title?

I rarely use my brother's name (not counting when I'm talking to non-family) and refer to him as 弟弟 (didi - younger brother) even when we're speaking in English. lol

Do you guys call your siblings by their name or family title?

I rarely use my brother's name (not counting when I'm talking to non-family) and refer to him as 弟弟 (didi - younger brother) even when we're speaking in English. lol

We are all cool with each other and call each other a bunch of things. Their name, fatty (in both English and Hmong), big bro, and big sister.

Yeah, but that's what everybody who's like not white kinda goes through. I have Nigerian friends, Sri Lankan friends - names with a lot of characters in it, but I haven't seen them change their name.

But every Asian person I have come across, always has a white name.

I mean whatever.

I have always seen it as a rejection of one's cultural identity.

As far as name pronunciation goes, I have no idea how properly pronounce my own first name lol

Actually my parents gave me and my sister our American names. I guess I should ask them why they did that. They also gave themselves American names when they came over.

My wife and her sister actually chose their own American names when they were 8. I think their school thought it would be a good idea or something.

SystemBug

Actually my parents gave me and my sister our American names. I guess I should ask them why they did that. They also gave themselves American names when they came over.

My wife and her sister actually chose their own American names when they were 8. I think their school thought it would be a good idea or something.

That's how it generally is with all my Asian friends, and the many asian kids I went to school with.

When your Asian name is also a common Western name.

#Winning

You mean like Kim? None of my brothers and sisters were given "American" names despite most of us being born in the US. I guess the idea of giving their kids Americanized names either didn't occur to my parents or they didn't care for it. Two of my older sisters gave themselves Americanized names when they were in High School. As for me, my name means "dollar" in Hmong. Not a cool sounding name and not a cool meaning like Blooded but it's my name and I don't intend to change it.

And something else that I wanted to share. I'm going to get braces on Tuesday at the age of 32. This is something that has bothered me my whole life. Maybe not as much as others but I've always been afraid to smile and have some low self esteem issues because of my crooked teeth. I'm excited about finally starting this new journey and look forward to the ending sometime in the summer of 2017. Not sure which Marvel movie will be out by then but I hope to enjoy it with straight teeth lol.

You mean like Kim? None of my brothers and sisters were given "American" names despite most of us being born in the US. I guess the idea of giving their kids Americanized names either didn't occur to my parents or they didn't care for it. Two of my older sisters gave themselves Americanized names when they were in High School. As for me, my name means "dollar" in Hmong. Not a cool sounding name and not a cool meaning like Blooded but it's my name and I don't intend to change it.

And something else that I wanted to share. I'm going to get braces on Tuesday at the age of 32. This is something that has bothered me my whole life. Maybe not as much as others but I've always been afraid to smile and have some low self esteem issues because of my crooked teeth. I'm excited about finally starting this new journey and look forward to the ending sometime in the summer of 2017. Not sure which Marvel movie will be out by then but I hope to enjoy it with straight teeth lol.

Yea my name "Van" works for both. Weeeeeeeeeee

My uncle got braces at 45... nothing to be ashamed of. And this uncle be snagging women left and right for the last I swear 25+ years. LOL playa gonna play.

Ashes

Banned

Some people find braces hot.

Braces and laser eye surgery, and even lasers for skin repairs to fix scars.. Those kind of cosmetic surgeries I am always for..

Ahnez

Spend more time in this thread and you will.

Also note: The patron saint of this thread is Bunny. She prefers her offerings in sugary treats. Good to always have them on you. Gives you time to get away from random bunny attacks.

Right, thanks lol I'll try to find something

Hello, my fellow dry earwaxers. My parents try to force me to get a western name. They think it's hard to pronounce (it's not). It's infuriating, since I've seen plenty of western names that are hard to pronounce. My parents are insufferable know it alls that don't know jackshit. My boss is Italian, and no one can pronounce their name on the first try. You don't see them changing it. For some reason, only Chinese seems to like having a western name.

Yo, y'all remember this (I can't be the only one right?)?

return-of-condor-heroes.jpg

(Return of The Condor Heroes 2006) Shit was my jam lol. Mainly because of LYF, she was and is still bae.

Yo, y'all remember this (I can't be the only one right?)?

return-of-condor-heroes.jpg

(Return of The Condor Heroes 2006) Shit was my jam lol. Mainly because of LYF, she was and is still bae.

Ooooh, I can't stand this stuff. I feel like it's so campy and cringe-y, but they make it worse by taking it totally serious with this stuff. Like I can watch Power Rangers before being able to sit through one of these shows. Power Rangers feels more self aware of how campy they are.

Top Bottom